Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ladies Win! ...and of course the men lose

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: Ladies Win! ...and of course the men lose

[quote author=Big T link=topic=38864.msg56388#msg56388 date=1389747981]
    Between the graduations of Kalis and Baylor, this team lost over 60 percent of it's scoring. Think about that and then think about what they have been able to accomplish offensively under Harmony. Gia and Dom were good last year, don't get me wrong, but when Kalis was off the floor that offense was anemic. Everything was run through Kalis and that did not allow the other players to be able to develop. Look at Jamisha Edwards, Alice Robinson, Shauna Long, and hell even Caroline and compare what they were able to do under Tidwell to what they have done under Harmony. These are players that are playing with a brand new confidence, a confidence that was not there last year, and they are playing the best ball of their life. These girls were trained by Tidwell to play within his system. They are now playing in a completely different system under Harmony, so much of what Tidwell taught them has been thrown out the window.

Don't even go into the whole recruiting the local area bull shit. Local talent may put a few butts in the seats at the Montange, but what ultimately puts butts in the seats is winning!

I personally know many of the players on this lady's team. If you did not know, I am a student at Lamar. Several of the players have flat out told me, when I asked them, that they enjoy playing in Harmony's system more than Tidwell's for the simple fact that under Harmony every player gets equal opportunities. Under Tidwell, everything was designed for one player and the other players were there jut to supplement that one player. Once again I am not bashing Tidwell. His system got results here at Lamar and he is right now the best women's basketball coach that Lamar has ever had. I'm just saying that this program is in very good hands with Harmony.
    [/quote]

Sorry but Barber was by far the best women's coach LU has ever had...by far

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=Taylor link=topic=38864.msg56392#msg56392 date=1389754059]
    Gia, Dom, Alice and Caroline are pretty much where they left off last year. Their overall numbers are a little better but, this is where they were at the end of last season. You have the addition of Jameshia and Shuna to pick up the slack left off by Kalis and Carenn. They didn't play much last year, there were other players ahead of them. Bottom line is you don't get this from 3 months of work or from changing a system. She didn't teach them how to play. A good player can play in most any system. They know how to adjust. They were good players all along. They don't play with anymore confidence than they had before to me.

Yes, where you recruit matters. For the most part, the only people at the games are the family and friends of the players. This is a commuter school. They are winning now and I only see a few people at the games. These long distance recruits aren't going to put one butt in the seat. Recruiting from Texas and neighboring states is what makes people talk about the school around the area and in turn increases enrollment.

Of course they wouldn't say they like Tidwell better. That just wouldn't be smart. Again, these are Tidwell recruits. I am not bashing Harmony but, I think it is a little soon to praise. We will see if her recruits are any good. Being that they are coming so far from home, they probably won't stay.
    [/quote]

Doesn't really matter where you recruit...that is crazy. Recruit the best student athletes you can get regardless of where they live

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

There's no denying the results Harmony has achieved. There are those who think she hasn't proved anything yet and there are those who argue she has. There is no deying we were deceived a little bit by Coach Knight's first season but I don't think he's had enough time to show what his program will ultimately be. It's the same with our women's coach. Before we pass judgement we need to give her time to build her program she will need two or three more years for her first recruits to get to be seniors. It's pretty much a given that a coach shouldn't be judged until his freshman class become seniors. By then you've got a pretty darn good idea where the progam is headed. We live in a society now that expects immediate results and if you don't get them move on but it's hard to build something that will last overnight. Especially if you want quality people as well as quality players. Both Coach Knight and Coach Harmony should have enough time to build what they envision their programs to be. Patience is such a bitch especially when you're losing. Think about this, it took Tom Landry 5 years before the Cowboys became winners and 11 years to win a championship. In today's world Landry would have been fired after year 3 and it's quite possible Dallas would never have become "America's Team".

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=Cardinalrule link=topic=38864.msg56394#msg56394 date=1389763673]
    [quote author=Big T link=topic=38864.msg56388#msg56388 date=1389747981]
    Between the graduations of Kalis and Baylor, this team lost over 60 percent of it's scoring. Think about that and then think about what they have been able to accomplish offensively under Harmony. Gia and Dom were good last year, don't get me wrong, but when Kalis was off the floor that offense was anemic. Everything was run through Kalis and that did not allow the other players to be able to develop. Look at Jamisha Edwards, Alice Robinson, Shauna Long, and hell even Caroline and compare what they were able to do under Tidwell to what they have done under Harmony. These are players that are playing with a brand new confidence, a confidence that was not there last year, and they are playing the best ball of their life. These girls were trained by Tidwell to play within his system. They are now playing in a completely different system under Harmony, so much of what Tidwell taught them has been thrown out the window.

Don't even go into the whole recruiting the local area bull shit. Local talent may put a few butts in the seats at the Montange, but what ultimately puts butts in the seats is winning!

I personally know many of the players on this lady's team. If you did not know, I am a student at Lamar. Several of the players have flat out told me, when I asked them, that they enjoy playing in Harmony's system more than Tidwell's for the simple fact that under Harmony every player gets equal opportunities. Under Tidwell, everything was designed for one player and the other players were there jut to supplement that one player. Once again I am not bashing Tidwell. His system got results here at Lamar and he is right now the best women's basketball coach that Lamar has ever had. I'm just saying that this program is in very good hands with Harmony.
    [/quote]

Sorry but Barber was by far the best women's coach LU has ever had...by far
    [/quote]

Way before my time!
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust 'em.

Jim Valvano

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

The ladies team that Barber took to the elite eight of the NCAA tourney was definitely the most successful squad but it seems like there was some kind of NCAA rules violations about that same time.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I watched them beat arkansas (if memory serves) at the frank erwin center on their way to the elite eight. They had to vacate those wins because barbar helped some players financially I think. It was really small potatoes but a vilation nonetheless.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=coachacola link=topic=38864.msg56409#msg56409 date=1389848437]
    I watched them beat arkansas (if memory serves) at the frank erwin center on their way to the elite eight. They had to vacate those wins because barbar helped some players financially I think. It was really small potatoes but a vilation nonetheless.
    [/quote]

Me too Coach. I still remember the big blonde twins from Virginia. That season was a lot of fun. I wish all the younger LU fans could experience a game at the Montagne like the game against LSU in the tournament. It was magic.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=coachacola link=topic=38864.msg56409#msg56409 date=1389848437]
    [/quote]
    I'm friends with his son, Brent. The violation was for buying the woman calling cards. It was 1991 and cell phones weren't around. There may be other things I'm not aware of but there is no way UT, LSU or another major university would have received that same punishment.

Now, Barber was an assistant to Pat Foster and he recruited a lot of players to Lamar including James Gulley.

If he was such a dirty coach (cheating) why wasn't the men's team he was an assistant on for about four years looked at for violations?!?!

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

If memory serves Barbre allowed players to use his phone to call home for out of town players and maybe gave them laundry money. Well, my memory is flawed and here's an excerpt from an aritcle from the Chicago Tribune about Barbre's firing from 1991--

-- But the NCAA Committee on Infractions discovered Barbre had extended improper benefits to players that year, including airline tickets, automobile transportation, cash, clothing, appliances and car payments.

Lamar was sentenced to two years' probation, which took away those three postseason wins, prohibited the team from participating in this year's Sun Belt Conference and NCAA Tournament and reduced the number of scholarships the program can give players next year. - Orginal article written by Tribune reporter Julie Deardorff.

I do remember that Ramona Jones was one of the best, if not THE best, point guard in Lamar basketball history--mens or womens teams.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=eagle eye link=topic=38864.msg56412#msg56412 date=1389890963]
    If memory serves Barbre allowed players to use his phone to call home for out of town players and maybe gave them laundry money. Well, my memory is flawed and here's an excerpt from an aritcle from the Chicago Tribune about Barbre's firing from 1991--

-- But the NCAA Committee on Infractions discovered Barbre had extended improper benefits to players that year, including airline tickets, automobile transportation, cash, clothing, appliances and car payments.

Lamar was sentenced to two years' probation, which took away those three postseason wins, prohibited the team from participating in this year's Sun Belt Conference and NCAA Tournament and reduced the number of scholarships the program can give players next year. - Orginal article written by Tribune reporter Julie Deardorff.

I do remember that Ramona Jones was one of the best, if not THE best, point guard in Lamar basketball history--mens or womens teams.
    [/quote]

Where did that money come from? He lived on HWY 87 in Deweyville and the home may be worth a little over $100,000 now! He lived there when he coached at Deweyville, Bridge City, WOS, Lamar Men and Women. His wife did not work. So unless someone else was involved he didn't make enough money to pay players for all that stuff!

I know there had to be some type of NCAA infractions done but if you believe Al Barber has access to give players what sounds like thousands of dollars I have tickets to Disney World so you can hang out with Mickey...

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I don't necessarily think Barbre's actions influenced any of his players to come to Lamar, but simply meant that while he was a good recruiter and bench coach his mistakes cost him his job and set Lamar back in the women's program, so I wouldn't place him ahead of Tidwell or Harmony and I will wait before passing any judgements on Harmony. As for Tidwell, Jenna was a transfer from a big program and made the difference for the team that went to the tourney, but she wasn't able to carry the team as a senior.