Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Next Year's men's team

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: Next Year's men's team

[quote author=geezer link=topic=38912.msg56724#msg56724 date=1391490580]
    Listened to the coaches show on KLVI tonight and Knight does know what is missing. He said that the kid sitting out because of the NCAA not clearing him would have been a starter. He knows that he didn't get the recruits needed the first two years. I think the basketball program is in a similar position to what the football program was during the 2012 season. It really looks bad but it might not close to turning the corner. There are eight games left this season with four of them against the top three teams in the league. So the question is can LU win at least two more games.
    [/quote]

He knows we suck so let's keep him around. And this is nowhere near where the football program was or is. The football program has every excuse in the world to suck royally and it only partially sucks. The basketball program has no legitimate excuse to suck royally yet it does!!!!???

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Many who were saying at the end of the 2012 football season that Woodard should be fired changed their tune by the end of this year. I don't think firing Knight this year and coming up with 200K to pay him off is worth one more year of sucking. You can't afford to dump all of the kids on scholarship either so next years team won't change much regardless of who the coach is and if (big IF) Knight finds the right piece or pieces to add we might all be surprised next year.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Coaches like to get players who fit their philosophy, so this might take awhile. The players Roc recruited should have fit his system, but IMO he did not coach them up to be successful. If Pat Knight gets his own players - which may take 3-4 years total - and are not successful, then he should be shown the door. It will take a new coach about 3-4 seasons to get the type of personnel he wants for his system. It doesn't seem like, as I see comments on this board, that there is that much patience with this process. If that's the case, we will be mired in mediocrity for a very long time.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=austin badbyrd link=topic=38912.msg56824#msg56824 date=1391820750]
    Coaches like to get players who fit their philosophy, so this might take awhile. The players Roc recruited should have fit his system, but IMO he did not coach them up to be successful. If Pat Knight gets his own players - which may take 3-4 years total - and are not successful, then he should be shown the door. It will take a new coach about 3-4 seasons to get the type of personnel he wants for his system. It doesn't seem like, as I see comments on this board, that there is that much patience with this process. If that's the case, we will be mired in mediocrity for a very long time.
    [/quote]

AB, have you seen any games? It's not about getting his players in here so he can win. If you watch the games, the guys are lack luster to say the least. They are out muscled, out hustled, not improving and in some cases getting worse, not being developed, and most should not be on a division 1 basketball team. This isn't about him not having his players so he can't win. It's about him not knowing what is or what is not a player. He does not know how to evaluate talent and he does not know how to coach what little talent he has. I would buy the argument that his issue is not having his players if he had won more games with Roc's team in his first year. That team should have won a minimum of 25 games. There was that much talent there. they made it to the NCAAs despite Knight, not because of him.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust 'em.

Jim Valvano

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Big T, I have seen most of the games I can from long distance. Starters are adequate, albeit woefully inconsistent. There is absolutely NO help from the bench, No git-after-it as far as rebounding, a lot of unforced errors, and Mitchell hasn't met a shot he didn't like - unfortunately he misses a lot - A WHOLE LOT!!!! This is not the type of team I saw from Knight in Lubbock. I also believe the first year we had really good coaching, but this year the coaching is not effective. Turnover, maybe; but I think there seems to be a bigger issue here. Just a hunch, tho......

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I really started doubting when I saw us try a three point shot very late in the game nursing a small lead against HBU at home. It showed a lack of discipline and I suspect ignoring coaching instructions.

Might be wrong, but we don't shoot that many threes. Why not just run time off the clock. (Might have been a shot clock issue, but I don't think so. I've slept since then, but I don't remember a bunch of passes or ball handling before throwing it up.)

Sent from my Android device using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Knight needs to be gone. He can't recruit, and I haven't seen any clue that he can coach. LSCPA in 2012 hired a new coach with 4 weeks to recruit and ZERO returning players, and he built a team that was competitive in the toughest JUCO division in the country. There are 6-8 teams there that coulld finish in the top third of the SLC year in and year out. What's stopping PK from recruiting like that? It sure ain't LSCPA's superior facilities. There is ZERO excuse for the poor recruiting. That, and the fact that the Seahawks would run the Cardinals out of the gym.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Can't say for sure but there is a pretty good chance that most of the kids playing at LSCPA couldn't make a D1 team for academic reasons. That however is no excuse for PK not to recruit them. Their records the past several years are better than the school that we got Amos Wilson from.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

if they cant meet D1 standards, why recruit em?

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

That's one of two main reason kids go to JUCO. Either they don't meet academic standards to get into a D1 school or they are hoping to get a look from a higher level program after proving themselves at a JUCO.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I don't buy this whole "it takes 3-4 years to get YOUR guys" in basketball....Football and Baseball yes, but not BBall. You only need 5...1-2-3-4-5, starters and a couple of decent guys off the bench. So in two recruiting classes you should be able to compete. Here we are, two classes in and getting thumped Knight in and Knight out!!! (Pun very much intended).

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=geezer link=topic=38912.msg56883#msg56883 date=1392002226]
    Can't say for sure but there is a pretty good chance that most of the kids playing at LSCPA couldn't make a D1 team for academic reasons. That however is no excuse for PK not to recruit them. Their records the past several years are better than the school that we got Amos Wilson from.
    [/quote]

True' Bennet , LSCPA point guard, has signed with Indians State. My guess is, he would qualify to attend LU

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Completing their two year degree at a JUCO qualifies them for NCAA D1 academically. I probably should have made it clear that they couldn't qualify as beginning freshmen.