Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PAT KNIGHT FIRED

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: PAT KNIGHT FIRED

Everyone frowned on me when I said the day their hired Pat Knight, it was a bad hire. It was.

Gave the story to Andy Katz of ESPN. Egomaniac. More to come......

EDITED FOR THIS: The people defending PK, won't defend him now.
    Follow me on Twitter @thechadcooper

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Bottom line is you have to win games. Pat is a great guy. I have been around him a bunch, been on trips with the team, been to his house for parties, etc. Great guy. He wants kids to graduate, he wants kids that can run his system. I think he can coach, but recruiting has been terrible at best. He proved he can coach in his first season. Bottom line he did not win games. I wish him luck, and wish all of the assistants luck who will be out of a job in a few weeks as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Here is a portion of the comments from the SETINVESTIGATES.COM interview with Tic Price on his being named as interim basketball coach at Lamar University.

“I am asking the community to get behind the players and come out and support them to maybe give them an extra incentive to play harder and put together a good 40-minute game. I think we need a collective effort to finish the season strong."
    “To be honest with you it has been a whirlwind for me. We have five games left and I don’t know if that puts us in the picture of going to the tourney (Southland Conference in Katy) but I want to see the team finish strong. Yes, it is bittersweet because I hate to see any coach lose their job."

Price was an assistant under Roccaforte and the former coach at the University of New Orleans (UNO) and McNeese. While at UNO, Price was named the Sunbelt Conference Coach of the Year and at McNeese, he again claimed the Coach of the Year honor with the Southland Conference. Additionally, Price set the Sunbelt Conference career record for winning percentage in league games.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I think Tic is a great interim hire. Someone not on the current coaching staff, to try to come in and make something happen (be a spoiler for someone tying to get into the tourney) and get the kids to have fun. Maybe see what their style is and see if they can be used next season. However in the long run I think that you have to have a interview process, as their are some very qualified people interested in rebuilding LU's program.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I understand the decision, and although I was hoping that they would give him another year to see what could happen with Tyran and a solid group coming back, but they decided to make the move now which I understand, and I look forward to seeing what happens the rest of the year and in the offseason as it relates to Lamar!!!!!!! And I look forward to continuing to root for the Cardinals and all of the coaches and young men in the program!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Cards!!!!!!!!!

Knightman

quakers93

Well, I think the AD made a mistake. Should have let Knight have more time. It takes time to build a program that is not loaded with JUCO's. Unfortunately, Lamar is going to go back to weak ass schedules and teams really with no hope of competing on a high level. All the folks bragging about Roc...he never did much and at least Knight did win big his first year.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Sorry quaker, but only time will tell. I wish PK the best. Maybe the expectations of the LU fans are too high and rooted in memories of twenty five plus years ago. Maybe PK needs some self reflection and a fresh start. I was one who did not think PK was a good hire at the time, but was more than willing to back him once the hire was made. Unlike many on this board I would have bought my season tickets next year if PK had survived this year and returned. While the record isn't any better so far this year the talent that came in this year was better than the previous recruiting class and I could always hope that he got lucky and found that one player to make a difference, but the change is announced and I wish the next coach the best.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

And I will always, I repeat always be a LU season ticket holder. My son and I love going to the games together.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Nothing implied toward you Lazeek, but other posters made remarks like they would not attend another game until a change was made, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

There was a bit of excitement at the Beck today as word filtered through he crowed. People were fed up with him and losing. I was one of those who liked the hire at first and defended him some last year. This year he had no excuse and this is a great move by Lamar. I have full confidence in Jason Henderson to get the right guy in here to coach this team. Don't settle for a familiar name or a big name. Just get the right coach and if that means bringing someone up from DII or the JUCO ranks then so be it. Hell, look at what Harmony has done and she was a DII coach this time last year. Just bring in the right coach and lets get this program headed in the right direction. There should be no reason why this is not the best team in the SLC year in and year out. We have some of the best facilities if not the best facility in the conference and look at the other schools we are competing against. Not exactly UT or A&M. I am just ready to see some winning men's basketball in the Montange.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust 'em.

Jim Valvano

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=geezer link=topic=38947.msg57051#msg57051 date=1392606230]
    Nothing implied toward you Lazeek, but other posters made remarks like they would not attend another game until a change was made, etc.
    [/quote]

Pat Knight told me not to go to anymore games. He said if I did not like the direction this team was headed then I should not be there. He also told that to every other fan. If you don't remember, those were his words during an interview though not verbatim. I still went to every single women's game, but I would leave for the men's. I will not have a coach disrespect me as a student and as a fan when I am willing to show up and watch the crap he put on the court night in and night out.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust 'em.

Jim Valvano

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Has every on here conveniently forgotten Tic's "problems" at Memphis?

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

As much as I thought he would get one more year, it had to be done. However I think that this program is 2-3 years away before it can be good enough to have a winning record. Reading this board, it doesn't seem the fan base is that patient. This program has been bad for at least 10 years or so. It's going to take time to get the talent we need to be a force. Pat Foster is not walking in the Montague Center door........

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I have also heard that Pat Foster is going to be contacted to be on the LU Coaching Search committee. Funny that you brought that up Austin Badbyrd

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

"I should have gotten out after the NCAA."
    What a douche bag! Instead I'll sign an extension a take money for nothing. Like I thought, this guy didn't want to be here. Thats two programs he inherited in decent shape and totaly destroyed. Looks like Tubby is starting to get TT back into respectability. Hopefully whoever comes in can do the same here in a couple years.
    I want to see "Bubba Ball" at the Montagne, but I'll back whoever they choose just like I backed PK for the first couple years.