Bob West column on Pat Knight

AggiesAreWe

Seems two fairly arrogant personalities still don't get along. IMO, one of PK's biggest mistakes was that he appeared to think he was better than the programs fans. Obviously PK has some coaching flaws, especially when it comes to recruiting good talent. IMO Bob West when compared to the things written about Knight in his articles, he never liked the hire and probably wasn't going to like anyone replacing his boy Roc. Roc, the hometown boy whom he liked along with his golf buddy Billy.

Seems two fairly arrogant personalities still don't get along. IMO, one of PK's biggest mistakes was that he appeared to think he was better than the programs fans. Obviously PK has some coaching flaws, especially when it comes to recruiting good talent. IMO Bob West when compared to the things written about Knight in his articles, he never liked the hire and probably wasn't going to like anyone replacing his boy Roc. Roc, the hometown boy whom he liked along with his golf buddy Billy.

+1 and then some!

Bob West should know why he sucks.

If Tic Price is the permanent coach you won't see me and many others at any games.

Why does Bob West keep pushing for Tic Price to get the job? Forgetting everything else about him, he was less than impressive as the head coach at McNeese State. While he would be an improvement over Pat Knight, I would hope Lamar is aiming higher than mediocrity, although that appears to be the main result year after year.

Guest austinred

While I'm not in favor of hiring Tic Price either, Bob West is correct in that LU has certainly hired worse in the past. Tic Price's head coaching record is 167-122, 0.557 winning percentage. Here is the unimpressive history of LU basketball coaches following Pat Foster:

Abatemarco: 1986-1988, 34 - 26, 0.567 winning percentage

Tony Branch: 1988-1990, 19-37, 0.339

Mike Newell: 1990-1993, 42-44, 0.488

Grey Giovanine: 1993-1999, 80-85, 0.485

Mike Deane: 1999-2003, 53-63, 0.457

Billy Tubbs: 2003-2006, 46-43, 0.517

Roccaforte: 2006-2011, 76-78, 0.494

Here's the list including Pat Knight, sorted from best to worst:

Abatemarco: 1986-1988, 34 - 26, 0.567

Billy Tubbs: 2003-2006, 46-43, 0.517

Roccaforte: 2006-2011, 76-78, 0.494

Mike Newell: 1990-1993, 42-44, 0.488

Grey Giovanine: 1993-1999, 80-85, 0.485

Mike Deane: 1999-2003, 53-63, 0.457

Tony Branch: 1988-1990, 19-37, 0.339

Pat Knight: 2012-2014: 29-62, 0.319

The sad part is Knight's winning percentage is skewed by the fact the vast majority of those wins came with Roc's players.

It's no secret that Clif Carroll was my neighbor and I was friendly with Pat. I get the business. Pat didn't win, and he was fired. Part of it.

Why in the world did Bob West call out Clif by name? Clif was a very hard working, dynamic young man. I can't speak to what happened within that office, but I can tell you that Clif spent more time away from his house than he was there during his two years I lived next to him. He took his job very seriously and worked hard at it.

I would think that the fact that Clif has more D1 wins as a D2 coach than The guy that went to Grambling should tell you all you want about the assistants that pat has had.

Bob West is a cranky old coot. Call out Pat, that's why he was paid as the head coach, leave the assistants, especially the good one, out of it.

Tic price? West must not have a daughter on campus. Whats Boob got against Alborn...guess ole Ray wouldn't kiss his ass.

Knights sucks, West sucks,

Price.......no

I was wondering the same thing in reference to Coach Alborn. At least the team was 5-5 burdened with a D-IAA independent status when the plug was pulled. It's not like he started with a powerhouse taking over from Ken Stephens (4-7, 2-9, 2-9, 3-8). I think the damage was done long before Coach Alborn got to LU. He just happened to be there when the lights were turned off. Even Coach Kennan had a losing record his last two years at Lamar.

Lawnmower... what exactly did he say that was bad about Cliff??? I think he was saying that KNIGHT was Lazy and put all the work on Cliff including the recruiting and scheduling.. Also that Knight was so lazy he would push stuff over to him rather than taking care of it himself. Then he said that his team almost beat LU in the 1st year. Don't be so sensitive.

Tic price? West must not have a daughter on campus. Whats Boob got against Alborn...guess ole Ray wouldn't kiss his ass.

Knights sucks, West sucks,

Price.......no

I was wondering the same thing in reference to Coach Alborn. At least the team was 5-5 burdened with a D-IAA independent status when the plug was pulled. It's not like he started with a powerhouse taking over from Ken Stephens (4-7, 2-9, 2-9, 3-8). I think the damage was done long before Coach Alborn got to LU. He just happened to be there when the lights were turned off. Even Coach Kennan had a losing record his last two years at Lamar.

Football hasn't had that many coaches....but in terms of stinkage....I'd have to rank Stephens and Bob Fredrick an easy 1,2

Basketball...I didn't think anybody could do worse than Branch....

Patrick Netherton ‏@PTNetherton 3h

Pat Knight tells @RickardonSports on @TimBrando he would like to get back into the NBA or go into the media. Wants to stay around the game

:-)

NBA?? Maybe as a ball boy or to mop up sweat. His name seems to have carried him as far as it can.

Maybe I'm just bitter with his attitude towards LU and the fans here.

More from Bob West on Pat Knight and why he couldn't recruit:

They apparently didn't realize you have to roll up your sleeves and develop some relationships with guys in the Golden Triangle, Houston and Dallas. Recruiting has changed. AAU people dominate it. They don't care who you are or what your last name is. You have to build relationships. Knight and his staff didn't do a very good job of that. I'd go to watch that kid at Nederland (Colton Weisbrod). Southland recruiters would be there. Sun Belt recruiters would be there. Lamar was nowhere to be seen. That's a local kid and he could have helped Lamar. There was nobody over there who could get a player out of Houston or Dallas. That's why they had to go to places like California and Indiana.

http://www.panews.com/sportsbobwest/x1783685918/West-column-Manziel-McClain-put-pressure-on-Texans?mobRedir=false

Or was it because that's where they are from and where they have gone for recruits in the past? West will find anything to bash somebody who he doesn't like. I'm taking up for Knight. He was definitely not a head coach in college because he wasn't willing to do his due diligence recruiting. I guess I just don't like Bob West and the things he writes are of no interest to me.

It's no secret that Clif Carroll was my neighbor and I was friendly with Pat. I get the business. Pat didn't win, and he was fired. Part of it.

Why in the world did Bob West call out Clif by name? Clif was a very hard working, dynamic young man. I can't speak to what happened within that office, but I can tell you that Clif spent more time away from his house than he was there during his two years I lived next to him. He took his job very seriously and worked hard at it.

I would think that the fact that Clif has more D1 wins as a D2 coach than The guy that went to Grambling should tell you all you want about the assistants that pat has had.

Bob West is a cranky old coot. Call out Pat, that's why he was paid as the head coach, leave the assistants, especially the good one, out of it.

Sounds like another possible thread topic... "Who's the bigger a-hole.. PK or Bob West?"

I like that.....I use to read Bob West every Wed. Sunday and liked what he had to say. But as the years have passed I tended to disaggree with him more and more. I think that most of the fans I know do not like him or read him any more. He seems to put Lamar in a negative light every chance he gets. The stories are old hat, example Coach Ray Alborn.....yada yada yada I don't read Bob West anymore and wonder how The PANews can pay him. [url[/url][/b]]

Guest austinred
Bob West has always been anti Lamar with the sole exception of Billy Tubbs. He had a man crush on Tubbs before that phrase was coined. Bob West is also anti Dallas Cowboys, Houston Texas, Rockets, Astros, and UT football. He likes golf and golfers though.

I like that.....I use to read Bob West every Wed. Sunday and liked what he had to say. But as the years have passed I tended to disaggree with him more and more. I think that most of the fans I know do not like him or read him any more. He seems to put Lamar in a negative light every chance he gets. The stories are old hat, example Coach Ray Alborn.....yada yada yada I don't read Bob West anymore and wonder how The PANews can pay him. [url[/url][/b][/b]][/size]

Agreed. His columns pretty much read like a recipe anymore. 1) Talk about high school football and the Cowboys so you can use your favorite words - 'schoolboy' and 'Jethro'; 2) Overly praise anyone from Port Arthur and bash anyone who talks or acts negatively against anyone from Port Arthur; 3) Call any pro sports organization or successful coach 'arrogant', 4) Talk about how last year was bad and how this year will be 'the year' for a certain local pro golfer, 5) use hindsight to get back at others who don't agree (e.g. passing over Tim Floyd at Lamar); 6) Discuss negative aspects about Lamar, unless it deals with Billy Tubbs. Chill for one hour. Serve and enjoy.

I like that.....I use to read Bob West every Wed. Sunday and liked what he had to say. But as the years have passed I tended to disaggree with him more and more. I think that most of the fans I know do not like him or read him any more. He seems to put Lamar in a negative light every chance he gets. The stories are old hat, example Coach Ray Alborn.....yada yada yada I don't read Bob West anymore and wonder how The PANews can pay him. [url[/url][/b][/b]][/size]

Agreed. His columns pretty much read like a recipe anymore. 1) Talk about high school football and the Cowboys so you can use your favorite words - 'schoolboy' and 'Jethro'; 2) Overly praise anyone from Port Arthur and bash anyone who talks or acts negatively against anyone from Port Arthur; 3) Call any pro sports organization or successful coach 'arrogant', 4) Talk about how last year was bad and how this year will be 'the year' for a certain local pro golfer, 5) use hindsight to get back at others who don't agree (e.g. passing over Tim Floyd at Lamar); 6) Discuss negative aspects about Lamar, unless it deals with Billy Tubbs. Chill for one hour. Serve and enjoy.

+1 and then some!