West column: No shortage of interest in LU basketball job

coachacola

A few highlights from his article:

For now, however, there's not much either Tubbs or Foster can tell anyone wanting them to put in a good word. Interim coach Tic Price seemingly has the inside track, depending on how things play out over the next five games.

Tic is a pretty fair basketball coach, a good guy, is well liked in Beaumont and makes sense financially. As was noted in this space earlier in the week, Lamar could do much worse.

Lamar could go with Price to save money since he's already on the payroll.

After talking with Tubbs and Foster, I got the impression that Foster is much more interested in taking an active role. He'd even be willing to act as lead consultant, without compensation. All he'd want is expenses and the guarantee that he be taken seriously.

Why bring in somebody like Foster? Because he's been a sounding board for coaches since he retired. He's been an AD, he stays on top of trends in the game and, most of all, he understands what it takes to be successful at Lamar. He's the one who recommended Tim Floyd when school officials turned a deaf ear. He still has great pride in what he and Tubbs built and wants to help get the program in the right hands.

http://www.panews.com/sportsbobwest/x1783682947/West-column-No-shortage-of-interest-in-LU-basketball-job/?state=taberU

It is my belief that Tic Price has seen his better days as a head coach! Just my opinion. He did have some pretty darn good teams at UNO that consistently spanked LU in the early 90's. That was a long time ago. It is not much to say that LU could do worse. Hell, they could hire Chad Cooper!!! The "LU could do a lot worse" is absolutely the wrong mentality for a quality hire!!!

I like the fact that Dr. Evans, the new LU prez, seems to be pro-active . He could have just kept Knight to save money. I hope they use Foster in the search. If they would have listened to him back then and hired Tim Floyd the program might have flourished instead of suffering this slow death over the years.

For now, however, there's not much either Tubbs or Foster can tell anyone wanting them to put in a good word. Interim coach Tic Price seemingly has the inside track, depending on how things play out over the next five games.

Tic is a pretty fair basketball coach, a good guy, is well liked in Beaumont and makes sense financially. As was noted in this space earlier in the week, Lamar could do much worse.

Lamar could go with Price to save money since he's already on the payroll.

After talking with Tubbs and Foster, I got the impression that Foster is much more interested in taking an active role. He'd even be willing to act as lead consultant, without compensation. All he'd want is expenses and the guarantee that he be taken seriously.

Why bring in somebody like Foster? Because he's been a sounding board for coaches since he retired. He's been an AD, he stays on top of trends in the game and, most of all, he understands what it takes to be successful at Lamar. He's the one who recommended Tim Floyd when school officials turned a deaf ear. He still has great pride in what he and Tubbs built and wants to help get the program in the right hands.

http://www.panews.com/sportsbobwest/x1783682947/West-column-No-shortage-of-interest-in-LU-basketball-job/?state=taberU

I don't care if we win the rest of our games by 50 points! I don't care if we pay him minimum frigging wage. I think it is ridiculous that he is even our interim coach. If we hire him permanently, I won't support the basketball program. What kind of message are we trying to send? We are so damn desperate we will hire Tic Price? There is a reason he still hasn't had another head coaching job!!!!!!

Tic is a pretty fair basketball coach, a good guy, is well liked in Beaumont

I seriously hope LU does NOT hire Price. How West could call him a "good guy" is beyond me.

Read the details in the link for the ugly history:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/college/news/1999/11/23/memphis_price_ap/

Tic is a pretty fair basketball coach, a good guy, is well liked in Beaumont

I seriously hope LU does NOT hire Price. How West could call him a "good guy" is beyond me.

Read the details in the link for the ugly history:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/college/news/1999/11/23/memphis_price_ap/

I totally agree with SFA Fan. Tic Price is not a guy I would want to lead Lamar. His age is a factor. He's too old to be considered a long term answer. His history is questionable as detailed in the link in SFA's post. I also agree with Cardinalrule we he said there is a reason he hasn't had another head coaching job despite having a decent run at UNO. In the thread "A New Coach" LU faithful have proposed a lot of good candidates who could be a good fit. Okay, Tic Price is on site and can coach the last few games but he should not be the LU coach of the future.

Lamar men's basketball is something that is very important to me, and I agree with the others, the closest that I want Tic Price to the program is as the interim coach, because of his history. I just ask you a simple question, if a program like Penn State fired a coach that had been there for 46 year as head coach, and 61 years total, because of what an OLD assistant coach did, what the heck do you think folks, other schools will use against Lamar in the vicous recruiting wars if we hire a guy as HEAD COACH that has a checkered history like Tic has. Can you imagine him going into kids living rooms trying recruit kids and especially their parents to send their kids to play for him at Lamar, I mean at least Pat's kids were graduating as far as I know, and he dealt with the disclipine issues that arose while he was here!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Cards!!!!!!!!!!

Knightman

• 3 weeks later...

I know of several influential people at LU that are behind Coach Price.

I wonder if these folks are aware of all the BRI message board drama regarding Price? How do they think a Price hire would play out in front of the general public?

It would seem to me that the last thing LU needs now is a hire with a closet full of skeletons.

Perception wise, quite frankly LU athletics has suffered in the past few years. Too many shady football players have gravitated to the program, although that has now resolved itself somewhat. Current drama with the PK disaster, so, now they want to hire PRICE? ::)

I want the best for LU, and I can guarantee you, Price IS NOT the best for LU, period. If the "influential people" have a moral compass at all, they need to read and heed it.

Ask yourselves this: "Does LU really need more drama"? If so, your university can and will suffer.

No offense, but why would a LU fan care what an "SFA Fan" thinks about who LU hires. I would expect the SFA fan to want what is the in the best interest of the program he or she is rooting for. Do you feel Price is a threat to the won/loss history for SFA versus LU? What was SFA's record against McNeese while Price was there? As for skeletons, I believe most of Price's are out in the open.

No offense, but why would a LU fan care what an "SFA Fan" thinks about who LU hires. I would expect the SFA fan to want what is the in the best interest of the program he or she is rooting for. Do you feel Price is a threat to the won/loss history for SFA versus LU? What was SFA's record against McNeese while Price was there? As for skeletons, I believe most of Price's are out in the open.

LOL! SLC Champions SFA just went 31-2, I doubt anyone at SFA is "scared" of Price, LOL.

As an LU fan, your correct there probably is no ...care what an "SFA Fan" thinks about who LU hires. You SHOULD, however, care about the reputation of LU. If you reread you will see shady football recruits have hurt LU's public perception, as has all the PK drama. Do you really think LU now needs a Tic Price controversy? Yes, his skeletons ARE out in the open. Thats the problem for LU, right there.

I care about LU, too. Did you miss that also?

Let's start this from scratch, this can't get any worse.

A lots of talented young coaches are out there and I think they would have the drive, dedication, and energy to get this program back to where it was. No more do overs, retreads, or guys who can't win or compete. We need a guy who is a good recruiter, knows and is a student of the game, and has the energy to relate to the players. Baylor took a chance on Scot Drew and look where they are. I'm sure there's someone like that out there.