Thread: Why not Brian English??

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Why not Brian English??

If Lamar hires Tic Price it'll be a money saver IMO so why not think outside the box and hire a successful coach from the high school ranks? Look at the places he's coached and had successful programs. He knows the area and wouldnt cost LU that much. Roll the dice and find the next up and coming guy since we've already tried everything else.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: Why not Brian English??

[quote author=LU Cardinal link=topic=38969.msg57269#msg57269 date=1393271171]
    If Lamar hires Tic Price it'll be a money saver IMO so why not think outside the box and hire a successful coach from the high school ranks? Look at the places he's coached and had successful programs. He knows the area and wouldnt cost LU that much. Roll the dice and find the next up and coming guy since we've already tried everything else.
    [/quote]

Never hire a High School coach to be a head coach at a D1 School. He needs to be hired as an assistant to a D1 coach or in a JUCO or DII school. Not only are we talking about an astronomical jump in the level of talent and the level of play, we are talking about a coach that has no Idea how to run a DI program. Being a head coach is more than just X's and O's. He is also the head of the Business that is Lamar Basketball. He is manager, fundraiser, diplomat, recruiter, coach, and disciplinarian in charge of fifteen college age guys. He is not ready for that. He needs to get his feet wet by being an assistant, then maybe in five or ten years he could get his shot.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust 'em.

Jim Valvano

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=Big T link=topic=38969.msg57270#msg57270 date=1393276232]
    [quote author=LU Cardinal link=topic=38969.msg57269#msg57269 date=1393271171]
    [/quote]

Never hire a High School coach to be a head coach at a D1 School. He needs to be hired as an assistant to a D1 coach or in a JUCO or DII school. Not only are we talking about an astronomical jump in the level of talent and the level of play, we are talking about a coach that has no Idea how to run a DI program. Being a head coach is more than just X's and O's. He is also the head of the Business that is Lamar Basketball. He is manager, fundraiser, diplomat, recruiter, coach, and disciplinarian in charge of fifteen college age guys. He is not ready for that. He needs to get his feet wet by being an assistant, then maybe in five or ten years he could get his shot.
    [/quote]

As much as I love me some Brian English, I totally agree with this post.

Assistant first, then maybe head coach down the road.
    Follow me on Twitter @MikeSanchez2

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Brian English? Really? What's he to do at the college level where everyone can recruit legally??

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I think it's sad that Lamar basketball has sunk so low that we're talking about hiring a high school coach to lead the program!!

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

It's not the first time. I remember people wanting to LU to hire André Boutte when he was at Oxen.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

And when LU started football there was a lot of push to have the coaching staff made up of Dan Hooks as head coach and various other SETX coaches as his assistants, and a team predominantly made up of SETX area players.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=coachacola link=topic=38969.msg57298#msg57298 date=1393364085]
    I think it's sad that Lamar basketball has sunk so low that we're talking about hiring a high school coach to lead the program!!
    [/quote]

I agree. Please tell me this is a joke!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=Spooner link=topic=38969.msg57302#msg57302 date=1393367723]
    And when LU started football there was a lot of push to have the coaching staff made up of Dan Hooks as head coach and various other SETX coaches as his assistants, and a team predominantly made up of SETX area players.
    [/quote]

And a stupid idea it was.