Who should be the new coach?

austin badbyrd

We can talk about PK until we're blue in the face. I think we need to move forward. Who, in your opinion would you like to see as head coach? Maybe look down the road at LSC-PA; I think he deserves a good look. I would favor an assistant at a Big 12 or SEC school. Or maybe Bruce Pearl former coach at Tennessee. He has a good personality and i think he can be a good coach for Lamar.

Thoughts? Opinions?

you bring up an interesting thread, and I will do some research on it, and give you some names, but to me as much as Bruce won for the Vols, he is on the lisit along with Tic on who not to hire, because he had issues not only with the vols but also when he was an assistant with the Hawkeyes!!!!!!!!!!

I would come closer to hiring a friend of mine- Kelvin Sampson than those two!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Lamar!!!!!!!!

Knightman

I just thought of a guy that would be great for us here at Lamar, and he is a great recruiter, and was hired at Texas Tech under Billy Gilispie, and when Gilispie was let go or resigned, Chris Walker was the interim college until Tubby was hired, but Coach Walker would be great here, because he is well connected and well though of in recruiting circles and in college basketball!!!!!!!!!!!

Knightman

My thing with Coach Walker is the guys that he had slated to come to Tech from the Houston area- that they ended up losing Michael Carey and than the freakish athlete that playing for UCLA now!!!!!!!!!

Go Lamar!!!!!!!!!!!

Knightman

I read somewhere Walker makes $300K at Texas Tech. Not sure if Lamar can afford him.

There is NO WAY that LU pays someone $300K.......not a chance. PK was making $205, and was the highest paid coach by almost $50K. No way that they double up the next highest paid coach in the league. Plus to pay someone $300K you would have to give Ray Woodard a raise to match what the hoop coach is making. So whatever Ray is making now will be the basement that they will offer a hoop coach. And if the hoop coach makes more than Ray, then ray will get a raise.

My thing with Coach Walker is the guys that he had slated to come to Tech from the Houston area- that they ended up losing Michael Carey and than the freakish athlete that playing for UCLA now!!!!!!!!!

Go Lamar!!!!!!!!!!!

Knightman

I read somewhere Walker makes $300K at Texas Tech. Not sure if Lamar can afford him.

Didn't he lose these guys when he didn't get the head job Knightman?

Go Lamar!!!!!!!!!!!

Knightman

Didn't he lose these guys when he didn't get the head job Knightman?

I thought Tubby Smith kept Walker on as an assistant but he's not on the coaching staff this year. Looks like he's working for CBS Sports announcing games.

Source tells me that Grant McCasland (assistant coach at baylor) has shown some interest at LU.

Well, he's a good recruiter and coach (3 Elite Eight appearances, including a national title at Midland College; 2 D-II Elite Eight appearances at Midwestern State)... definitely worth an interview.

If Larry Brown at 69 can resurrect SMU - who never was a basketball power, I'm sure that we can find a pretty good coach some where. PJ Carlissimo anybody????

Oh, there are plenty of good-to-great coaches out there. The difference is that SMU is paying Brown over $1M/year... they're even paying an assistant $800K/year to be the head-coach-designate.

If the alums are willing to open the checkbooks the way SMU did to bring in June Jones and the basketball coaching staff (including assistants over $5M in salary), I'm sure there are plenty of coaches who would gladly take the job.

There is NO WAY that LU pays someone $300K.......not a chance. PK was making $205, and was the highest paid coach by almost $50K. No way that they double up the next highest paid coach in the league. Plus to pay someone $300K you would have to give Ray Woodard a raise to match what the hoop coach is making. So whatever Ray is making now will be the basement that they will offer a hoop coach. And if the hoop coach makes more than Ray, then ray will get a raise.

Then, odds are, we will continue to suck.

Does anybody know what the plan is for the next coach? Are we going to have a search? Are they already involved in a search? Are they putting feelers out to potential candidates?

Someone in the know (Lazeek) should be able to get some insight on that.

Does anybody know what the plan is for the next coach? Are we going to have a search? Are they already involved in a search? Are they putting feelers out to potential candidates?

Someone in the know (Lazeek) should be able to get some insight on that.

Source tells me some interested coaches are shying away from LU due to word that Price will be named head coach after season is over. Guess time will tell.

This is why we never have @#$%!!!! This is how things are done if you want bad results!! The preponderance of evidence showing that if you keep doing the same stupid things again and again you get the same piss poor results isn't enough to convince anyone that it should be done differently!!!

+1