Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Price might be right for Lamar

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: Price might be right for Lamar

[quote author=Cardinalrule link=topic=38985.msg57409#msg57409 date=1393728408]
    With all the potential coaches out there I simply CANNOT understand why ANYONE would actually want us to hire Tic Price!!!!!! I cannot think of one single good reason why we should hire him. I think it would be another giant mistake and disgraceful fir the university!!! What kind of message would we be sending to the fans, students, and community as a whole?? Well I guess since we will almost accept anyone with a pulse as a student why not hire an immoral, unethical, retread as our head basketball coach?. PUKE PUKE PUKE PUKE. We are so shortsighted it is disgusting!!!
    [/quote]

It makes even less sense to fire Pat Knight and then immediately hire another has-been coach. If I were that fan who ponied up that 400 grand to get rid of Knight I would demand my money back!!

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

It might be the same person that wants Tic as coach.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=geezer link=topic=38985.msg57416#msg57416 date=1393735123]
    [/quote]

DING DING DING....we have a winner!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=LAZEEK link=topic=38985.msg57417#msg57417 date=1393768655]
    [quote author=geezer link=topic=38985.msg57416#msg57416 date=1393735123]
    [/quote]

DING DING DING....we have a winner!!!!
    [/quote]

If that's the case then I hope they will at least be honest about it and go ahead and hire Price. I would find it rather insulting if they have a "search committee" and the end up hiring Price because I seriously doubt he'll be the best of the candidates.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

While many of us just want to see Lamar have successful athletic programs that compete for conference champions year in and year out and in the case of basketball go to the NCAA Tourney regularly, in the end it is still too much about politics and money for what really happens and that doesn't matter what level of sporting activity your talking about.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Price might be right for Lamar

I agree with you that politics and money play a factor across the board in all level of athletics, but i can't believe that one booster can personally fire and hire a college coach at all levels. I have to believe that Lamar has policies and procedures in place that are there to avoid this kind of thing. But, as is often the case, i could be wrong. ;-). Message to the booster: Do you realize how many people less fortunate than you you could have helped and how much 'good' you could have done with $400k? Instead you choose to fire and hire a basketball coach with it? I hope that this story and thread is exaggerated or just not true.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I can assure you that my posts are usually speculation and theory based on years of observation of sports at multiple levels. Probably 90% of everything posted is personal opinions and speculation. If LU had been winning then Knight would probably still have a job. The only case at LU that might actually have been only politics was Abetemarco in the 80s, where he basically insulted those with money that liked Patrizi's

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

We're just speculating on who would want Price as head coach. If I donated 400k so Lamar could hire a better coach I would want thrm to hire the very best. I want the prez and the AD to actually search for the best guy and not pretend to with the intention all along to hire Price. I think they will try to hire the best guy.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Price might be right for Lamar

Agreed.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

The only real positive I could see to hiring Price is that at age 58 he probably is not looking to move to a higher profile school. Assuming it would take three years to really get LU back to competing for a conference championship, I think his age would become a factor for a higher profile school.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

If that is what ends up happening, I will support him as I did for Patrick!!!!!!!! Because I am here to support Lamar and all it's teams!!!!!!!!!

Go Lamar!!!!!!!!

Knightman

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=coachacola link=topic=38985.msg57428#msg57428 date=1393802282]
    We're just speculating on who would want Price as head coach. If I donated 400k so Lamar could hire a better coach I would want thrm to hire the very best. I want the prez and the AD to actually search for the best guy and not pretend to with the intention all along to hire Price. I think they will try to hire the best guy.
    [/quote]

I sure hope you are right. If Price is the best option out there, that doesn't speak too highly of the coaching profession.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I have been a fan and alumnus for close to 40 years, and for basketball we only got it right 2 times during that span, Tubbs - only because he was an a very talented alumnus and former player, and Foster - we actually did a "real search" without trying to do our normal "good ole boy" screw up dog and pony show search. Abatemarco was a national search that just went wrong. I have almost zero faith that we will get this right this time. Too much influence from "power brokers" who truly are not qualified to make such a big decision!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I'm not sure about the 'power broker' fear. Do we think that the AD is handcuffed by alumni? Do we think Bob West has a big sway over the search process? We just as guilty of the same crap Jerry Jones was guilty of for so long after Jimmy Johnson left, and that is trying to get off on the cheap for his coaching staff. Jones ego was bruised and he tried for almost 10 years to get along with a half-assed string of coaches trying to prove he didn't need Johnson. Lamar isn't missing on coaches because of bruised egos but poor judge of talent that's killing us. Don't you think that PK was hired on name value to a large extent, especially after he was so bad a Texas Tech after his dad left. What the search committee needs are people who aren't looking solely at money but they need to look at the coaches body of work. There are several threads here addressing who could be a good coaching candidate. I don't want a guy like Price who has a checkered past and I don't want to see an assistant with no head coaching experience hired either. We've gone down that road with Abatemarco. It would be great if we got a guy in his early 40's who could be considered a long term answer. I don't really care about age so much but a guy who can relate to potential recruits is a must. Not only does a college coach need to be good at x's and o's and game management he has to sell himself and the school to high school and JC players, and their parents, who will make the team successful. So, the title of this thread is a double edged sword. Is Price the right guy or is the price of Price right for Lamar? If we're hiring solely on what the coach will accept for a salary then we're not going to be happy with the result. It's like an NFL team drafting solely by need. Rarely does either situation work out well.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

You seem to have a keen eye over the last 20+ years of Jerry Jones the GM/Head Coach of the Cowgirls and the mediocre at best results by looking in fact at the results, not the hyperbole!!! Go back and look over the last 30+ years of Lamar BB coach hires. If you have been around the program like I was from the early 80's until the early 2000's and observed what was going on with the hiring decisions maybe you would come to the same conclusion!!