Thread: Katy Bound!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Katy Bound!

Congrats to Coach Harmony and the Lady Cards on an amazing season. At the beginning of the season, I would have not picked this team to finish above a third or fourth seed, but Coach Harmony and her staff have done an amazing job with these girls and here they are the number one seed in the Southland Tournament. I bought my tickets today and will be in Katy to see them on Saturday and hopefully Sunday.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust 'em.

Jim Valvano

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: Katy Bound!

If it wasn't for coach Harmony and her girls, I would not have gone to as many mens games. That lady is a coach.
    Good luck in Katy.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

+1

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=Big T link=topic=38998.msg57545#msg57545 date=1394510693]
    Congrats to Coach Harmony and the Lady Cards on an amazing season. At the beginning of the season, I would have not picked this team to finish above a third or fourth seed, but Coach Harmony and her staff have done an amazing job with these girls and here they are the number one seed in the Southland Tournament. I bought my tickets today and will be in Katy to see them on Saturday and hopefully Sunday.
    [/quote]

Not saying that Harmony won't be successful at LU, but remember after PK's first season at LU every person on this board would have given him the keys to SE Texas!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

On big difference between Harmony and Knight is that Harmony's recruiting class was ranked 143rd nationally by one source. Although that doesn't mean too much until those players start playing at Lamar, it does appear she knows how to recruit. And she didn't have the benefit of taking a team to the NCAAs.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=coachacola link=topic=38998.msg57575#msg57575 date=1394680082]
    On big difference between Harmony and Knight is that Harmony's recruiting class was ranked 143rd nationally by one source. Although that doesn't mean too much until those players start playing at Lamar, it does appear she knows how to recruit. And she didn't have the benefit of taking a team to the NCAAs.
    [/quote]

Ladies will go to NCAA with two wins this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=LAZEEK link=topic=38998.msg57576#msg57576 date=1394716442]
    [quote author=coachacola link=topic=38998.msg57575#msg57575 date=1394680082]
    [/quote]

Ladies will go to NCAA with two wins this weekend.
    [/quote]

What coachacola was saying is that Harmony had this success without the buffer of an NCAA visit to help with recruiting. With that said, the women's team has been in good shape for quite a few years now. I'll gladly admit that I was one of those who was willing to "give the keys of SE Texas to Knight". I'm a tad confused by that, because SE Texas is not a city, but I digress... I will even go so far as to say that I think his firing was a tad bit premature. He's had two horrid years, but he had one great year starting out. We can attribute that to Roc's recruiting all we want, but the bottom line is that Knight won the conference tournament for the first time in 12 years with someone else's recruiting class. With that said, I think he deserved at least one more year.

I would like to congratulate the Lady Cardinals and Coach Harmony on their success and wish them the best of luck in Katy. It's nice to have two games off, I'm sure. I hope we have a large crowd of red, and I will be watching on ESPN3.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

One big difference between Knight's first year and Harmony's is that she did bring in at least one player who contributed significantly in Bowers. Unless your telling me that the girls that Tidwell was recruiting went ahead and came to Lamar anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=geezer link=topic=38998.msg57583#msg57583 date=1394746044]
    One big difference between Knight's first year and Harmony's is that she did bring in at least one player who contributed significantly in Bowers. Unless your telling me that the girls that Tidwell was recruiting went ahead and came to Lamar anyway.
    [/quote]

No, Bowers was Harmony's recruit. All of them except Micarah Malone were her recruits. Micarah was Tidwell's recruit. Not only was there Bowers but Cox who also gave LU some very good minutes late in the season and who has developed very well. She took Caroline to a completely different level of competitiveness and has done a hell of a job developing players. She can recruit with the best of them and when she gets her players that have the ability to play her defense, this team is neither athletic or long enough for her defense, this team will be a lockdown defensive team as well as having the ability to score at a high rate. This team could possibly be unstoppable under Harmony. Tidwell brought this program out of the basement of the SLC and now Harmony will bring it to the next level. She brought in two very good recruits in Bowers and Cox at very shot notice, her second recruiting class in ranked very high, she is beating out larger schools for recruits, she and her staff can coach their asses off, she and her staff can develop players, and if the nay Sayers here actually went to most of the games this year like I did and like several others on this board did they would have seen this team develop into a one seed as at the beginning of this season they were not a one seed. Coach Harmony is nothing like Pat Knight and to insinuate so just goes to show that you can't tell your ass from your face when it comes to coaching.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust 'em.

Jim Valvano

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Do your research. Coach Harmony brought in two recruits Kiandra Bowers and Kenshadra Smith. Both are from her area and neither had a D1 offer. Both her recruits were starters until Smith left the program in December. Cox, Malone and Lira were Coach Tidwell's recruits. Lira has been missing from the bench for the last three weeks. Cox moved up and got some of the minutes that were given to Smith when she left. I have been watching this team all season and I don't see any player development. When you are in a game and up 15-20 points that's when all of your bench should get an opportunity to play. That's how you develop and build depth. You have Chantelle Brockett who didn't get to play much this year and she didn't even get to start on Senior Night. She could've played for 30 secs. What would that have hurt? Alice Robinson who has been a solid player for this team and started all last year but played behind Bowers this year even on Senior Night. If not for Alice, the team would have lost badly to Northwestern in the tournament.

Harmony showed on Saturday that she has a lot to learn about D1 coaching. There is absolutely no reason the girls didn't advance to the championship except for poor time management on the part of the coaching staff. There is no reason a time out wasn't called to avoid turning over the ball with a 5 sec call. This is what lead to the run for Northwestern. They didn't use all of their time outs and no one was in foul trouble so why didn't they foul. They let the same girl do the same thing three times in a row. Doesn't make sense. The team was up 5 points with about a minute of play and still lost.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=Taylor link=topic=38998.msg57630#msg57630 date=1395006519]
    Do your research. Coach Harmony brought in two recruits Kiandra Bowers and Kenshadra Smith. Both are from her area and neither had a D1 offer. Both her recruits were starters until Smith left the program in December. Cox, Malone and Lira were Coach Tidwell's recruits. Lira has been missing from the bench for the last three weeks. Cox moved up and got some of the minutes that were given to Smith when she left. I have been watching this team all season and I don't see any player development. When you are in a game and up 15-20 points that's when all of your bench should get an opportunity to play. That's how you develop and build depth. You have Chantelle Brockett who didn't get to play much this year and she didn't even get to start on Senior Night. She could've played for 30 secs. What would that have hurt? Alice Robinson who has been a solid player for this team and started all last year but played behind Bowers this year even on Senior Night. If not for Alice, the team would have lost badly to Northwestern in the tournament.

Harmony showed on Saturday that she has a lot to learn about D1 coaching. There is absolutely no reason the girls didn't advance to the championship except for poor time management on the part of the coaching staff. There is no reason a time out wasn't called to avoid turning over the ball with a 5 sec call. This is what lead to the run for Northwestern. They didn't use all of their time outs and no one was in foul trouble so why didn't they foul. They let the same girl do the same thing three times in a row. Doesn't make sense. The team was up 5 points with about a minute of play and still lost.
    [/quote]

Actually Chantelle did play on Senior night. Alice's head was crushed by a 220 pound player several games into the season and suffered a major concussion. After that incident she was very hesitant to go into the paint and was no where's near as aggressive as she should have been. This is her own words by the way. She was not the same player she was last year after the concussion. Lira is still on the team. Due to a violation of team rules and a "long story," once again her own words, she has been suspended. You don't give extra minutes to players that quite frankly are not going to develop into much. Chantelle and Fran were seniors that had never shown anything at the DI level and had never developed under Tidwell. Gemisha Edwards was never even given a shot under Tidwell and look at what Harmony did for her. Caroline played last year, but when she came onto the floor you could hear an audible groan from the crowd. Tidwell played her because he had to. Harmony turned her into a very solid player that people now like to see on the floor. Harmony took a team that was eight deep and took them to the number one overall seed in the SLC Tournament and the WNIT. Oh, and I don't think a 61-60 loss is losing "badly." Heartbreaking, yes but not badly. And with 57 seconds to go they were up by three not five. I honestly could not tell you how many timeouts she had left. I do know she burned one to prevent a five second call before the afore mentioned five second call and that could have very well have been there last time out, but to be honest I do not know that. Harmony did an amazing job with what she had this year. I do not think very many coaches could have brought them to the heights that this team achieved. They overachieved in every way.

Jim Valvano

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=Big T link=topic=38998.msg57643#msg57643 date=1395072680]
    [quote author=Taylor link=topic=38998.msg57630#msg57630 date=1395006519]

[/quote]

Actually Chantelle did play on Senior night. Alice's head was crushed by a 220 pound player several games into the season and suffered a major concussion. After that incident she was very hesitant to go into the paint and was no where's near as aggressive as she should have been. This is her own words by the way. She was not the same player she was last year after the concussion. Lira is still on the team. Due to a violation of team rules and a "long story," once again her own words, she has been suspended. You don't give extra minutes to players that quite frankly are not going to develop into much. Chantelle and Fran were seniors that had never shown anything at the DI level and had never developed under Tidwell. Gemisha Edwards was never even given a shot under Tidwell and look at what Harmony did for her. Caroline played last year, but when she came onto the floor you could hear an audible groan from the crowd. Tidwell played her because he had to. Harmony turned her into a very solid player that people now like to see on the floor. Harmony took a team that was eight deep and took them to the number one overall seed in the SLC Tournament and the WNIT. Oh, and I don't think a 61-60 loss is losing "badly." Heartbreaking, yes but not badly. And with 57 seconds to go they were up by three not five. I honestly could not tell you how many timeouts she had left. I do know she burned one to prevent a five second call before the afore mentioned five second call and that could have very well have been there last time out, but to be honest I do not know that. Harmony did an amazing job with what she had this year. I do not think very many coaches could have brought them to the heights that this team achieved. They overachieved in every way.
    [/quote]

I didn't say Chantelle didn't play, I said her and Alice didn't start. A lot of programs allow their seniors to start on Senior Night to honor them in that way. Actually Chantelle is not a bad player, her numbers last year weren't bad. Tidwell gave Jermisha a red shirt her freshman year and she got more playing time last year than was given to some on the roster this year. He was obviously developing her in order to give her a red shirt and not waste her eligibility. After this season, she still can play two years. If you are trying to work with the player that is what you do. A coach should try to develop everyone on their roster. If you are not then red shirt them and advise them to transfer. Just because a player doesn't play doesn't mean they can't play. This year was Jermeisha's year to come out. She had older girls in front of her. She was obviously being developed along the way. Her play this year wasn't due to a coach working with her for two months. Last year was Caroline's first year at the D1 level so her play last year was developing her for this year. Towards the end of last season her game had improved and she carried that over to this year. Just like Pat Knight, Harmony took at team that someone else had developed and they won. You say she brought them to new heights, these are the same players that were being developed by Tidwell. The test is the next couple of years. I didn't say they lost badly to Northwestern, I said if it weren't for Alice they would have lost badly. Her efforts were tremendous and she should have remained a starter. I said with about 1 minute left, they were up 5 points. To be completely accurate at 1.06 minutes left, they were up by 5. 1.06 minutes later, they lost by 1.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

If you were around in the mid eighties then you saw the men lose to Tenn-Chattanooga when Jerry Everett failed to milk clock when Lamar was up by 7 with about 45 seconds left and they lost. Everett, the scoring guard for Lamar at the time, took the inbounds pass 4 consecutive times and promptly dribbled down court and threw up a shot only using a few seconds to do so. T-C got the rebounds and scored by taking good shots tying the game at the buzzer and winning in overtime. That was in the NIT. Did that make Pat Foster or Jerry Everett a moron? Believe me, there was plenty of blame to go around.
    My point here is this loss is in no way as pathetic as a home game in the NIT Tournament with flat out bonehead play. I agree with Big T, or at least I believe Harmony deserves the benefit of the doubt for leading the team to a VERY unexpected one seed in the SLC tournament. The Lady Cards have me very hopeful of their 2014-15 season.