Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 3:00PM Press Conference Tuesday---Tic Price New Head Hoops Coach

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: 3:00PM Press Conference Tuesday---Tic Price New Head Hoops Coach

[quote author=Knightman link=topic=39008.msg57760#msg57760 date=1395247245]
    cardinalrule, you will never confuse me with someone that wanted Coach Price in Beaumont, I would have much rather have seen them give Pat another year as to hired Tic, because of the incident at Memphis, mainly because of how much that I think it will hurt us in recruiting, not necessarily the kids, but the parents that know it is all over the net, and easy to pull up, but that being said, I was not on the committee nor was I asked for my opinon, but understanding that we are all human, and can and will make mistake, I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, and I am sure that he has paid a heavy price (no pun intended) for his lapse in judgment!!!!! I am looking forward to the future and to see what develops relative to the Lamar men's basketball team!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Cards!!!!!!!!!!

Knightman
    [/quote]

I have nothing against Knight. But, he should have been fired after last season. I know people make mistakes. Cheating on your wife with a coed, paying her 17,000+, and allegedly assaulting her is much more than a mistake. I'd like to think there are competent coaching candidates out there without that baggage. But maybe not, maybe every coach in the country fools around on his wife with college girls.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I talked to a couple prominent cowboy club members including a former basketball player.They both liked and respect Tic Price and his wife personally and professionally.With any coach and any forum you will find detractors as well as supporters.They wished him well.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=baller link=topic=39008.msg57776#msg57776 date=1395276405]
    I talked to a couple prominent cowboy club members including a former basketball player.They both liked and respect Tic Price and his wife personally and professionally.With any coach and any forum you will find detractors as well as supporters.They wished him well.
    [/quote]

Why isn't he still there???

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=Cardinalrule link=topic=39008.msg57775#msg57775 date=1395269974]
    cardinalrule, you will never confuse me with someone that wanted Coach Price in Beaumont, I would have much rather have seen them give Pat another year as to hired Tic, because of the incident at Memphis, mainly because of how much that I think it will hurt us in recruiting, not necessarily the kids, but the parents that know it is all over the net, and easy to pull up, but that being said, I was not on the committee nor was I asked for my opinon, but understanding that we are all human, and can and will make mistake, I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, and I am sure that he has paid a heavy price (no pun intended) for his lapse in judgment!!!!! I am looking forward to the future and to see what develops relative to the Lamar men's basketball team!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Cards!!!!!!!!!!

Knightman
    [/quote]

I have nothing against Knight. But, he should have been fired after last season. I know people make mistakes. Cheating on your wife with a coed, paying her 17,000+, and allegedly assaulting her is much more than a mistake. I'd like to think there are competent coaching candidates out there without that baggage. But maybe not, maybe every coach in the country fools around on his wife with college girls.
    [/quote]

So....to be consistent would you also advocate that Louisville fire Petino? Do wins and post-season appearances equal more forgiveness? Would you approve of Lamar hiring Petino?

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

According to a former Texas AD Lamar does get money from the state some of which is used in the athletic budget.That is consistent with what I know from working with other AD's in Texas and Louisiana.Now join the Cardinal Club and let's raise extra money so we can have a basketball banquet in October with a special speaker like we used to get,think Dick Vitale.Maybe someday we could host a two day tournament like SFA did this year but that takes extra support as I was involved in doing that decades ago before I moved here.Let's get constructive,Let's have fun and let's work to help the Card's win .At this point posting bulletin board material our rivals can use against us during this crucial recruiting period is counterproductive.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

3:00PM Press Conference Tuesday---Tic Price New Head Hoops Coach

I don't mean to speak for anyone on this board, but i feel the real problem with the Price hire is not Price. The 'problem' or the 'complaint' is with the way the hire was handled. The fans want to feel like the admin is working hard to find the 'best' for the school that they love. It is a fact that the school did not even attempt to do a search. Maybe the hire was quid pro quo directly related to someone buying out Knight's contract if they hire Price in return, but we don't know. With that said, Price getting the Lamar job is not Price's fault. We need to get off his back. We need to place responsibility where it truly lies....with the Leadership. I want Price to succeed for Lamar and for Price and for Lamar's leadership. With regard to the people who put Price in this position....... I wonder if they will be there for Price if things don't work out? Will Bob West be there? Will the boosters be there? Will all the people at the press conference be there for Price if things don't work out??? I think Price may have been done a huge injustice guised with the best of intentions. Building a good team takes tremendous amounts of hard work, focus, and random luck. I hope he has not been placed in a 'game' that he wont be able to win. Im rootin for Price and i hope he succeeds. The people to hold accountable if Price fails is not Price at all. The buck stops at the top.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=Card Nation link=topic=39008.msg57780#msg57780 date=1395286570]
    I don't mean to speak for anyone on this board, but i feel the real problem with the Price hire is not Price. The 'problem' or the 'complaint' is with the way the hire was handled. The fans want to feel like the admin is working hard to find the 'best' for the school that they love. It is a fact that the school did not even attempt to do a search. Maybe the hire was quid pro quo directly related to someone buying out Knight's contract if they hire Price in return, but we don't know. With that said, Price getting the Lamar job is not Price's fault. We need to get off his back. We need to place responsibility where it truly lies....with the Leadership. I want Price to succeed for Lamar and for Price and for Lamar's leadership. With regard to the people who put Price in this position....... I wonder if they will be there for Price if things don't work out? Will Bob West be there? Will the boosters be there? Will all the people at the press conference be there for Price if things don't work out??? I think Price may have been done a huge injustice guised with the best of intentions. Building a good team takes tremendous amounts of hard work, focus, and random luck. I hope he has not been placed in a 'game' that he wont be able to win. Im rootin for Price and i hope he succeeds. The people to hold accountable if Price fails is not Price at all. The buck stops at the top.
    [/quote]

Great post.

I'm on record advocating for an open search as well. I, like everyone else can only speculate as to ALL the factors that went into the decision. The biggest sin is that it doesn't give us hard-core guys a reason to get too excited. I wish Price the best. Hopefully he is extra motivated to prove his detractors wrong.

There is no reason to think (past indiscretion aside), that Price is not a better coach than the last 5 that Lamar has hired. I realize that is a pretty low bar, but time will tell if he clears it and by how high.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

And my point is that now that he is our coach, we have spent enough time going back and forth on whether he should have been hired or not, so now that he is, all of us in the Cardinal Nation need to get behind him, his eventual staff and the team, and root like heck for them to be successful, and make sure that those who are able to fill those seats to watch them play on the Billy and Pat Tubbs Court do just exactly that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Lamar!!!!!!!

Knightman

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

A silver lining.....

The hiring of this turd......makes me like Woodard more

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I you prefer you can just piss and moan and bad-mouth the program.....that always helps.

austinred

Any coach you hire in that price range (~$150,000) is going to be a crapshoot. You never know if they can recreate the success they had at a different level or school. I think Coach Price has as much a chance to succeed here as anyone. Let's get behind him. I have a lot more optimism now that PK is gone.

By the way, last year's SFA coach, went 8 - 23 with Texas State this year.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

After watching the press conference - so I'm late - I'm willing to give him a fair shake. He's got nowhere to go but up. He has proven that he can win, but will the current players completely buy into his program; and will they continue to buy in if it gets really tough and they aren't successful right away - that's the question. As for recruiting, who can he bring in to improve the 3-point shooting and lack of rebounding? This must improve light years defensively in order to get near .500

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=McDonaldGymRat link=topic=39008.msg57778#msg57778 date=1395282720]
    [quote author=Cardinalrule link=topic=39008.msg57775#msg57775 date=1395269974]

Go Cards!!!!!!!!!!

Knightman
    [/quote]

[/quote]

So....to be consistent would you also advocate that Louisville fire Petino? Do wins and post-season appearances equal more forgiveness? Would you approve of Lamar hiring Petino?
    [/quote]

Well, it is a little different because he wasn't messing around with a student which isn't quite as bad. But, I think it was the wife of one of his assistants so in some ways it was worse. But to answer your question, yes I would have fired him. No, wins and post season appearance don't earn you any more forgiveness, why would it? And, now way in hell I'd approve of hiring Pitino and he is 100 times the coach that Price is.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

A college basketball coach in his 5th-7th year at a school has not been to the NIT or NCAA tournament . His conference record for those three years is 23-25. The school keeps him and over the next six years his team goes 74-24 in conference play and goes to two NIT's and one NCAA.In his first two years at the school he went 16-24 in conference play.He did better in years 3-5 but no NIT or NCAA. He takes another D1 job in a relatively small city and has another tough first year at a D1 school going 4-14 in conference play.The coaches name is former SFA coach and current Texas State coach Danny Kaspar .Picking a coach is never a sure thing and success requires skill,luck,support,support, support and time unless you are really unsuccessful.No key injuries like to Kenny Dawkins helps too.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Bob Marlin went 7-11 in Southland Conference play in his first year at Sam Houston.In his first three years at ULL he went 29-23 in Sun Belt conference play.But his twelve year Southland Conference record was 138-70.This year he went 11-7 in Sun Belt play but won the conference tournament and is a 14 seed in the NCAA Tournament. He got a significant pay raise at ULL .My last two posts show what results are considered noteworthy for hiring coaches out of the Southland Conference.