Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 3:00PM Press Conference Tuesday---Tic Price New Head Hoops Coach

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: 3:00PM Press Conference Tuesday---Tic Price New Head Hoops Coach

The die is cast so why cry over spilled milk? I agree with others who say let the past be the past since he's already been hired. The selection process is not what we wished, the coach may not have been who would have been our first choice but he's at the helm now. We can't change that. What we need to do is not keep bringing up unpleasant memories that don't help the Lamar Cardinals. Knightman said it best, forgive and get behind the guy. As for that checkered past. A great man once challenged a mob to cast the first stone if he was without sin to punish a woman for her indiscretions. The mob took the man's challenge to heart and let the woman live and spared her a hideous death by stoning. Tic's wife is still with him, she forgave him and there is not evidence that he's repeated his offense. Unlike Bobby Petrino who has a list of indiscretions stacked up a list of victims from Atlanta to Fayetteville. IMO Petrino is way worse that Price from what we know. Right now the most important thing is that Price represents the school with dignity and honor and a regard for the young men under his charge. Give the man a chance. We all have a skeleton in our closets and the people in our lives have forgiven us. Shouldn't we have a similar attitude?

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=Cardinalrule link=topic=39008.msg57790#msg57790 date=1395361304]
    [quote author=McDonaldGymRat link=topic=39008.msg57778#msg57778 date=1395282720]
    [quote author=Cardinalrule link=topic=39008.msg57775#msg57775 date=1395269974]
    [quote author=Knightman link=topic=39008.msg57760#msg57760 date=1395247245]
    cardinalrule, you will never confuse me with someone that wanted Coach Price in Beaumont, I would have much rather have seen them give Pat another year as to hired Tic, because of the incident at Memphis, mainly because of how much that I think it will hurt us in recruiting, not necessarily the kids, but the parents that know it is all over the net, and easy to pull up, but that being said, I was not on the committee nor was I asked for my opinon, but understanding that we are all human, and can and will make mistake, I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, and I am sure that he has paid a heavy price (no pun intended) for his lapse in judgment!!!!! I am looking forward to the future and to see what develops relative to the Lamar men's basketball team!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Cards!!!!!!!!!!

Knightman
    [/quote]

I have nothing against Knight. But, he should have been fired after last season. I know people make mistakes. Cheating on your wife with a coed, paying her 17,000+, and allegedly assaulting her is much more than a mistake. I'd like to think there are competent coaching candidates out there without that baggage. But maybe not, maybe every coach in the country fools around on his wife with college girls.
    [/quote]

So....to be consistent would you also advocate that Louisville fire Petino? Do wins and post-season appearances equal more forgiveness? Would you approve of Lamar hiring Petino?
    [/quote]

Well, it is a little different because he wasn't messing around with a student which isn't quite as bad. But, I think it was the wife of one of his assistants so in some ways it was worse. But to answer your question, yes I would have fired him. No, wins and post season appearance don't earn you any more forgiveness, why would it? And, now way in hell I'd approve of hiring Pitino and he is 100 times the coach that Price is.
    [/quote]

If that is true I respect your conviction.

The man made a mistake for which he paid dearly. I don't know his heart. All I know is I hear is that he has been an effective Coach and Administrator while at Lamar. I don't remember any posts saying he shouldn't have held those jobs.

I think Card Nation hit on the head when he said "The 'problem' or the 'complaint' is with the way the hire was handled. The fans want to feel like the admin is working hard to find the 'best' for the school that they love." We'll never know all the factors that resulted in the decision. If I was in all the meetings perhaps I would agree Price was the best choice ......instead I'm just brain droppings on a message board. All I know for sure is that Lamar basketball now has a chance for a new direction. Lord knows it needs it.

The glass is poured and on the table. It's up to you to decide if it's half full or half empty.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=eagle eye link=topic=39008.msg57799#msg57799 date=1395368190]
    The die is cast so why cry over spilled milk? I agree with others who say let the past be the past since he's already been hired. The selection process is not what we wished, the coach may not have been who would have been our first choice but he's at the helm now. We can't change that. What we need to do is not keep bringing up unpleasant memories that don't help the Lamar Cardinals. Knightman said it best, forgive and get behind the guy. As for that checkered past. A great man once challenged a mob to cast the first stone if he was without sin to punish a woman for her indiscretions. The mob took the man's challenge to heart and let the woman live and spared her a hideous death by stoning. Tic's wife is still with him, she forgave him and there is not evidence that he's repeated his offense. Unlike Bobby Petrino who has a list of indiscretions stacked up a list of victims from Atlanta to Fayetteville. IMO Petrino is way worse that Price from what we know. Right now the most important thing is that Price represents the school with dignity and honor and a regard for the young men under his charge. Give the man a chance. We all have a skeleton in our closets and the people in our lives have forgiven us. Shouldn't we have a similar attitude?
    [/quote]

Coaches are role models and should be held to a higher standard.

I doubt that everyone has fooled around on their wife.

I doubt that everyone has fooled around on their wife with a co-ed.

I doubt that everyone has given their co-ed mistress 17,000 (for what?)

I doubt that everyone has 'allegedly' assaulted their coed mistress.

And, to top it all off, the hiring process WAS A TOTAL JOKE!!! There was no process!!! Why don't we just rename the University "Umphrey Universtiy"?

One thing everyone is correct about...it is done. If you want to throw your support behind it, go ahead. I'll check back in 4 or 5 years when we've moved on to someone else.

Disgusting. Yall enjoy settling.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

For those that say that no coach would want to come to Lamar given the state that the program is in . . . I would disagree.

What better chance to pad your resume by 'turning around' a program? In this case, the situation is so bad that you can easily state that you "took a team that won just four games the year prior to (coach's name)'s arrival and won ten games the first year, followed by 12, 14, and (XX) games in his final year at Lamar before taking the (XX) job". I can think of a wealth of other media-guide-worthy blurbs you can get out of this job, specific to improvements in scoring, defense, etc.

Given the apparent uncomfortable appearance Henderson showed in his opening statements at his press conference, I don't think he had anything to do with the hire.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

If you read Bob West's article from Wednesday and read between the lines you'll find another reason why Tic Price was hired. And if it's true that Price is only getting a two year contract then I doubt that's a coincidence, since that's how much is left on Knight's contract. I think Price was hired out of convenience, plus for monetary and political reasons. He probably has two years to stabilize the program, and if he surprises everyone and exceeds expectations he'll get a contract extension. If not then they'll do a real search.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Jason Henderson looked to me and others who know him and watched him to be the same as he has been in these situations over the years.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

It is great to see teams like North Dakota State and Mercer doing well and then compare that to us and where we are and will be for at least ten more years now...in the toilet, the laughing stock of the country. Nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=Cardinalrule link=topic=39008.msg57811#msg57811 date=1395426888]
    It is great to see teams like North Dakota State and Mercer doing well and then compare that to us and where we are and will be for at least ten more years now...in the toilet, the laughing stock of the country. Nice.
    [/quote]

At Lamar it's who you know that counts. Winning is secondary.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=Cardinalrule link=topic=39008.msg57806#msg57806 date=1395415732]
    Coaches are role models and should be held to a higher standard.

I doubt that everyone has fooled around on their wife.

I doubt that everyone has fooled around on their wife with a co-ed.

I doubt that everyone has given their co-ed mistress 17,000 (for what?)

I doubt that everyone has 'allegedly' assaulted their coed mistress.

And, to top it all off, the hiring process WAS A TOTAL JOKE!!! There was no process!!! Why don't we just rename the University "Umphrey Universtiy"?

One thing everyone is correct about...it is done. If you want to throw your support behind it, go ahead. I'll check back in 4 or 5 years when we've moved on to someone else.

Disgusting. Yall enjoy settling.

[/quote]

You don't read between the lines do you? Nobody has said they are happy about the hire. There are those who have said it made sense. There are those who have said they understand it. There are even those to see the good Price has done for the programs he's worked for from a basketball standpoint. I have even posted right here he would not be my first choice, in fact, I posted what I really wanted to see in our head basketball coach. We all have a problem with the hiring process but it's over and it is what it is. The point of my post is this, Price in the coach and that isn't goinig to change any time soon and if we are students or alumni of Lamar shouldn't we support the young men who are playing for the school?

If this is just about adultery who appointed you the marriage police? You are no angel. You have sinned because that is a human being's nature as imperfect beings. If you are a Christian you understand this and that why the wise man in my previous post died for all of our sins to give us the grace from God earned from His sacrifice to be forgiven by God for our sins. The extraneous crap about the $1700 and the alleged assault is just a reporter relating what are facts as best as he/they could ascertain. They weren't there, they don't know the whole story or the real way it went down. It amounts to not much more than gossip for anything beyond the fact he messed around with a 23 year old co-ed. As far holding the coach to a higher standard? I think Memphis did by firing Price. The fact Lamar has chosen to overlook something that happened a decade and a half ago, with no reoccurances since, and the fact his wife forgave him and they are still married, makes me think this is old news. Price was NOT Jerry Sandusky molesting children. If you were in that crowd chasing the adulterous woman down to stone her to death and Jesus confronted you the way he did the mob that day would you have thought forget that and throw your rock anyway because you were so morally outraged? Price isn't the issue now. He's the head basketball coach. We can root for our team, or not, it's a free country but isn't the real reason you're so mad because you want so much for this program to turn around and succeed and the Lamar leadership took an easy way out? I'm mad about the process too but I won't crucify Price for something he did years ago. A man deserves to learn and grow and, yes, be forgiven for his mistakes. I know I have. I've never committed adultery but I've made my share of mistakes and I've learned and grown and been forgiven for them. We all have. Sorry to climb on my soapbox but I don't understand the venom directed at Price at this point in time for the reason it's being done. And, by proxy, those of us who may not like it but choose to support our Cardinals anyway. To me, that is NOT settling.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=coachacola link=topic=39008.msg57812#msg57812 date=1395427528]
    [quote author=Cardinalrule link=topic=39008.msg57811#msg57811 date=1395426888]
    [/quote]

At Lamar it's who you know that counts. Winning is secondary.
    [/quote]

I guess Knight didn't know anybody.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Knight pissed off the ones with political clout and money. I don't know what would have happened if he stayed in their good graces. At some point winning does count but he might have gotten another year. I believe many of the same people who are pulling for Price were pulling for Roc initially.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

The Pat Knight I talked to a handful of times was courteous ,kind and had a good sense of humor .Unfortunately his record wasn't bad it was so bad it indicated other underlying issues.A sense of that was obvious when the whole football team attended the first home game Tic Price coached.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I didn't say he pissed everyone off. Some of his comments regarding the state of the program and whether he cared what people outside of the program thought were the things that I believe turned off the powers that counted.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=baller link=topic=39008.msg57816#msg57816 date=1395444752]
    The Pat Knight I talked to a handful of times was courteous ,kind and had a good sense of humor .Unfortunately his record wasn't bad it was so bad it indicated other underlying issues.A sense of that was obvious when the whole football team attended the first home game Tic Price coached.
    [/quote]

I am quite interested in hearing the underlying issues you are alluding too.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Dude is a .500 coach...In the powerful Southland? A .500 coach......since when does going .500 get you jobs? (assuming your dad isn't a coaching legend)....