Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 3:00PM Press Conference Tuesday---Tic Price New Head Hoops Coach

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: 3:00PM Press Conference Tuesday---Tic Price New Head Hoops Coach

Still not sure if this is a good thing. I guess time will tell.

Would have liked to have seen a coach search and some interviews instead of what looks like "settling".
    Follow me on Twitter @MikeSanchez2

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

cardinalrule, you will never confuse me with someone that wanted Coach Price in Beaumont, I would have much rather have seen them give Pat another year as to hired Tic, because of the incident at Memphis, mainly because of how much that I think it will hurt us in recruiting, not necessarily the kids, but the parents that know it is all over the net, and easy to pull up, but that being said, I was not on the committee nor was I asked for my opinon, but understanding that we are all human, and can and will make mistake, I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, and I am sure that he has paid a heavy price (no pun intended) for his lapse in judgment!!!!! I am looking forward to the future and to see what develops relative to the Lamar men's basketball team!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Cards!!!!!!!!!!

Knightman

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I think Lamar should stop talking about what a great tradition the basketball program has because in the last 20+ years they've done just about everything they can to kill it. This is just another step in turning one of the original "mid-majors" into an irrelevant basketball program in an irrelevant basketball conference.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=NorthoftheBorder link=topic=39008.msg57752#msg57752 date=1395237035]
    [quote author=SFA Fan link=topic=39008.msg57749#msg57749 date=1395227278]
    [quote author=coachacola link=topic=39008.msg57722#msg57722 date=1395175562]
    Lonely Tailgater ‏@LonelyTailgater 3h
    Tic Price is heading to Lamar after Mike Davis ended up at Texas Southern? East Texas is where not-quite-dead coaches go to not-quite-die.
    [/quote]

I talked to a friend of mine today who graduated from McNeese, and still follows SLC sports. I asked, expressionless, "Did you hear that Lamar hired Tic Price today?"

He had a befuddled look on his face and said "WHY? Why would they do that?" ???
    [/quote]

SFA Fan, you guys are just kicking our arse!!! The people we have in charge and most of our fans just don't get it!!!
    [/quote]

I don't mean to. Thats not my intention at all. I want the best for LU, and I can say I do not think Price is "the best" by any stretch. LU needed a fresh and upcoming hire, not a mediocre retread with lots of baggage.

Well, I guess whoever the hire is can't do any worse then PK. Even 10 wins/year would be seen as an improvement.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

What would make a coach want to come to Lamar? Worst two teams in LU history the last two years, only one scholarship currently available, below average APR, etc. Those are 3 main reasons that hardly anyone applied. And the ones that applied likely knew nothing about the below average APR, which could be very detrimental to LU in the coming seasons. LU had no choice but to hire Tic Price. And I have a hunch that he will make the best of this opportunity. I am guessing that in year two LU is a 15-18 win team. I also predict a 20 win season in season three. Then I will be anxious to see what kind of a response some of you guys have. Tic can recruit, he can coach and he has proven both. He has too much respect for some of his friends and family to not make this work. Tic will be a success at LU!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=LAZEEK link=topic=39008.msg57763#msg57763 date=1395257735]
    What would make a coach want to come to Lamar? Worst two teams in LU history the last two years, only one scholarship currently available, below average APR, etc. Those are 3 main reasons that hardly anyone applied. And the ones that applied likely knew nothing about the below average APR, which could be very detrimental to LU in the coming seasons. LU had no choice but to hire Tic Price. And I have a hunch that he will make the best of this opportunity. I am guessing that in year two LU is a 15-18 win team. I also predict a 20 win season in season three. Then I will be anxious to see what kind of a response some of you guys have. Tic can recruit, he can coach and he has proven both. He has too much respect for some of his friends and family to not make this work. Tic will be a success at LU!!!
    [/quote]

Coach will you "book mark" this post and mine of yesterday that says he will not be successful so we can easily come back to them in a few years??? It will be interesting to see if how this pans out!!

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=SFA Fan link=topic=39008.msg57762#msg57762 date=1395253874]
    [quote author=NorthoftheBorder link=topic=39008.msg57752#msg57752 date=1395237035]
    [quote author=SFA Fan link=topic=39008.msg57749#msg57749 date=1395227278]
    [quote author=coachacola link=topic=39008.msg57722#msg57722 date=1395175562]
    Lonely Tailgater ?@LonelyTailgater 3h
    Tic Price is heading to Lamar after Mike Davis ended up at Texas Southern? East Texas is where not-quite-dead coaches go to not-quite-die.
    [/quote]

I talked to a friend of mine today who graduated from McNeese, and still follows SLC sports. I asked, expressionless, "Did you hear that Lamar hired Tic Price today?"

He had a befuddled look on his face and said "WHY? Why would they do that?" ???
    [/quote]

SFA Fan, you guys are just kicking our arse!!! The people we have in charge and most of our fans just don't get it!!!
    [/quote]

I don't mean to. Thats not my intention at all. I want the best for LU, and I can say I do not think Price is "the best" by any stretch. LU needed a fresh and upcoming hire, not a mediocre retread with lots of baggage.

Well, I guess whoever the hire is can't do any worse then PK. Even 10 wins/year would be seen as an improvement.
    [/quote]
    You can't help it that your AD and Univ Admin is smarter than ours!!! I mean you guys hired Brad Underwood!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I don't buy this loser mentatlity that "well our program is so far down we had to hire Price because he is the only one who would take it" BS!!! If we had been 0-30 the last two years but the prospective coaches understood that the Athletic Program at Lamar was well run both from the University Admin and the Athletic Admin we would of had some very good applicants to choose from!!! Man O Man O Man!!! The tunnel vision around here is almost off the charts!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Problem is based on the more recent past, LU is not any kind of sought after job in men's basketball. I won't say Tic is the best LU could do, but he does have a lot to prove and he knows what he is getting into. He is also as of yesterday the coach whether you like him or not, so suck it up and support him until time proves the administration right or wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

great post, geezer!! I agree completey that whether anyone likes it or not Tic Price is the coach of Lamar's men's basketball program, and now we as fan have to decide whether we will continue to support this school and program, and I for one am behind him, his staff that he has yet to hire, and these players. I would hope that all of the fans that love this school and program will unite with those of us that are behind it, and root like heck for them to find success on and off the floor!!!!!!!! The next thing that I am interested is the staff that he puts together, and I am sure that along with getting the staff together, he is looking at each and every player, and this is where having those five games with them will come into play, because I believe that although the numbers say we only have one scholarship available right now, that through his or the players choice, there will be some others that will stay, and then some will opt to leave, because that is the kind of thing that always happens, and I wish all of them well, and those choices I figure will be made fairly soon, so that he and his staff that are already behind the 8 ball in recruiting can make some solid additions in the late signing period!!!!!!!

Go Lamar!!!!!!!!

Knightman

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I really have nothing against Tic Price, my beef is against the admininstation for not even trying to search for the right guy. Maybe Lamar has sunk so low that Tic Price was the best guy, but who knows since from day one it's been pretty obvious that Price was going to be hired.

Like I said earlier, Lamar made the easy choice in hiring Price. If he can win 15 or so games a year (like Coach Roc was doing before he was fired), everyone will be saying Lamar made the right choice. If he can't then they'll blame the big hole Pat Knight put the program in so Tic Price gets a pass.

Bottom line is that 5 or 6 years after Coach Roc was fired, the program will be back to where it was when he got fired. And for icing on the cake, maybe Roc will be one of Price's assistants!! But going from bad to kinda good then back to bad is what Lamar has been doing best these past 20+ years.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Texas has cut university funding significantly over the past decade.Student fee revenue that is approved by students could be more competitive with other schools but I understand students not wanting to raise them.If you want to give Lamar a better chance to win join the Cardinal club and help raise funds competitive with the programs you want to emulate.I would like to be offering guarantee games and not having to take them. Other Southland conference teams have their own buses.We will have a new softball field but arranging for the funds takes involvement and didn't happen in 60 days.Our coach has done well considering.An AD always has to weigh factors like that in evaluating,hiring and firing that don't show up on Wikipedia.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=coachacola link=topic=39008.msg57769#msg57769 date=1395264317]
    I really have nothing against Tic Price, my beef is against the admininstation for not even trying to search for the right guy. Maybe Lamar has sunk so low that Tic Price was the best guy, but who knows since from day one it's been pretty obvious that Price was going to be hired.

Like I said earlier, Lamar made the easy choice in hiring Price. If he can win 15 or so games a year (like Coach Roc was doing before he was fired), everyone will be saying Lamar made the right choice. If he can't then they'll blame the big hole Pat Knight put the program in so Tic Price gets a pass.

Bottom line is that 5 or 6 years after Coach Roc was fired, the program will be back to where it was when he got fired. And for icing on the cake, maybe Roc will be one of Price's assistants!! But going from bad to kinda good then back to bad is what Lamar has been doing best these past 20+ years.
    [/quote]

I am sure that one or more will take my frustation as a personal attack againt Price. That is not the case, I my posts are clear that if we were running an athletic program the way a 1st class athlectic program should be run he would not have been the only and best option!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=baller link=topic=39008.msg57771#msg57771 date=1395265388]
    Texas has cut university funding significantly over the past decade.Student fee revenue that is approved by students could be more competitive with other schools but I understand students not wanting to raise them.If you want to give Lamar a better chance to win join the Cardinal club and help raise funds competitive with the programs you want to emulate.I would like to be offering guarantee games and not having to take them. Other Southland conference teams have their own buses.We will have a new softball field but arranging for the funds takes involvement and didn't happen in 60 days.Our coach has done well considering.An AD always has to weigh factors like that in evaluating,hiring and firing that don't show up on Wikipedia.
    [/quote]

Schools haven't been allowed to use tax dollars to fund athletics since the mid-80's. Lamar has one of the highest athletic budgets in the SLC, and under Pat Knight they spent a lot of money for the basketball program. Lamar has more than enough money to compete in the SLC, they just keep making bone-headed decisions year after year.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=NorthoftheBorder link=topic=39008.msg57766#msg57766 date=1395260270]
    I don't buy this loser mentatlity that "well our program is so far down we had to hire Price because he is the only one who would take it" BS!!! If we had been 0-30 the last two years but the prospective coaches understood that the Athletic Program at Lamar was well run both from the University Admin and the Athletic Admin we would of had some very good applicants to choose from!!! Man O Man O Man!!! The tunnel vision around here is almost off the charts!!!
    [/quote]

x100!!! I do NOT understand it at all!!!! LOOK AT WHO WE COMPETE AGAINST AND TELL ME WHAT THEY HAVE THAT WE DON'T?!!!! People honestly think we are so pathetic that nobody wants to come here??? Wow!!!! Wait...I've seen the light. THAT is why we hired Price!!! Nobody else would have applied!!!