Thread: Campus Renovations

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Campus Renovations

I am currently living about 2 hours away from campus. What current renovations are taking place to make the campus nicer and up to date. Also all the houses surrounding the campus that were trashed, did LU buy that property? If so what are they going to do with it? Not sure if Dr Evans has his own idea on Capital projects but what kind of college life type things are being talked about to keep people on campus?
    Thanks
    Cplatt
    2 Corinthians 12:10

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: Campus Renovations

It depends on how long it has been since you have been back.

I'm probably not the best source since I live in west Houston, but I make frequent trips to Beaumont to visit family. I try to make a "drive by" around the campus to check on it most trips, though. The campus looks a lot better than when I was a student, but I'm older than dirt so that wouldn't be very hard. A lot of the improvements have taken place in the last 5-10 years.

Most, if not all, of the houses on the campus side of Jimmy Simmons Blvd (formerly University Drive) have been demolished.

My understanding is that Brooks-Shivers will be demolished. A new university administration building is planned to be built in its place.

At one time, there was some discussion of trying to get some more businesses (restaurants, etc) near the campus. I haven't heard much about that lately. Hopefully it will take less time than the downtown development (saw renditions of that in the 80's that follow pretty closely to recent development as well as future proposed development).

Sent from my Android device using Tapatalk2

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

The Brooks Shivers demo started this week.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I'm not sure which hall, or if they'll build a new one, but one of the dorms will be for married students starting in the summer... I've also heard and seen nothing about developments south of campus aside from the demolition of the one building. The Industrial Engineering department is getting a multi million dollar class room for the online implementation of their program. Should be open in the fall...much better than the current distance learning rooms in the ed. building.