Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lamar on APR Probation?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Lamar on APR Probation?

@CoachJodyBailey: Because of the APR Probation handed down to Lamar University, @NimrodHilliard4 is now transferring and will be eligible to play next season

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: Lamar on APR Probation?

I doubt that Nimrod will be the only player to leave. Now LU needs to find a starting PG!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

IMO, he was the one player Lamar could not have afforded to lose.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust 'em.

Jim Valvano

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Go see the Kevin Costner movie Draft Day,relax and let this play out. The movie is surprisingly entertaining.A few of my friends felt likewise.Random thoughts for a 100 Alex .

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

UConn was on APR probation a few years ago and didn't seem to hurt them. Besides, the way Pat Knight was recruiting it was like Lamar was on a self-imposed APR probation.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=coachacola link=topic=39037.msg58096#msg58096 date=1397582861]
    UConn was on APR probation a few years ago and didn't seem to hurt them. Besides, the way Pat Knight was recruiting it was like Lamar was on a self-imposed APR probation.
    [/quote]

LMAO!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

How ugly is this situation going to get? I pulled the raw data from the NCAA's website, and attempted to figure out how bad the situation was... and it gives me some concern, although there are so many damned loopholes, exceptions, and credits that perhaps it's not as bad as I fear.

For next year, we need either a 930 4-year average or 940 2-year average to avoid penalties. Obviously, from the news we've heard, we didn't achieve this. Looking at the raw numbers, they're pretty ugly.

The APR for 2008-09 was a good 976, but 2009-10 was a poor 925, 2010-11 was an awful 902, and 2011-12 was a horrid 896. So for next year, we're "losing" the good 2008-09 numbers from our four-year average, and the numbers from the end of Roc's era were... well... not so good. So since these numbers are calculated a year behind, we'd need to have averaged 978 for 2012-13 to have had a chance to not be penalized--and that was assuming we could make the 940 2-year average--making the 930 4 year average would have required us to have had a perfect 1000 (actually, a 997, but I don't think that's possible) to meet that bar.

Now while I think it might be easier to figure out the IRS tax code or the intricacies of Schrodinger's equation than to calculate the APR, I took a swing at it looking at the 2012-13 roster. It appears from what I can find in the NCAA's documentation that you can get as many as four (out of four) points for a player if they stay in school for the year, progress toward graduation, and return for the next year. If a player stays eligible but transfers, it's 3/4. If they lose eligibility, you lose more points.

Looking at the roster, I'm throwing out Doty and Brian Curran as they were walk-ons and don't count. Acosta, Stan Brown, and Minor all graduated to the best of my knowledge, so that's 12/12. Blanks, Hancock, Minton, Mitchell, Norman, and Wilson all returned this year, so they had to remain academically eligible, so that's 24/24. Hondo Webb and DJ Muepo transferred, but to the best of my knowledge remained eligible, so that's 6/8. But Osas flunked out and left the program, so (I think!) that's an 0/2. Adding everything up, I get 42/46 for an APR for 2012-13 of 913. Yuck. That's a two-year average of 909 and a four-year average of 908. Which means it's going to be tough to achieve the needed goals even next year if anyone else leaves the program (I am assuming Hilliard's transfer won't hit our APR... it seems like that is some sort of "double jeopardy" if it does). But if Mitchell transfers or if anyone has academic issues, we could be looking at extended scholarship losses or postseason bans. I mean, next year is going to be a tough slog no matter what--especially now that Hilliard is transferring--but, still, the spectre of having potentially more penalties coming in 2015 is going to make it even tougher to right the ship and for Tic to recruit successfully.

It may not be this ugly. Osas's Facebook page shows that he graduated from LU--so at some point, do we get some sort of credit for this even though he used up his basketball eligibility? Is he really an "0/2" if he graduated--if so, that seems like serious bull**** to me. What if Tre Lynch graduates from Southern this year? Does it matter that Muepo went JuCo or not? There's too much here I don't know the details of to make strong conclusions. Anyone out there know more about how these calculations are done?

Are we aware of what the exact penalties are going to be to LU for next season? Are we looking at losing the only scholarship we had available? A post-season ban? Practice time reductions? All of the above? It's just right now so hard to have a hell of a lot of optimism, even though I'm thrilled to see Tic get off to a good start recruiting and the staff he's put together seems to be an experienced, capable one. At this point, I'd just be happy to hear someone in the know tell me it's not quite as bad as it looks from my admittedly amateurish look at the raw numbers.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Almost certain Lamar will be ineligible to play in the SLC Tournament.

Where are all these Pat Knight kool-aid sippers now?
    Follow me on Twitter @thechadcooper

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Having a 2.6 GPA or higher when an athlete transfers is also important to a schools score.Giving a release to an athlete who has not maintained a 2.6 is a tough call.There is conversation among NCAA leaders to modify the APR methodology as a large number of schools may be ineligible for tournament play next year.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=Chad Cooper link=topic=39037.msg58135#msg58135 date=1397978581]
    Almost certain Lamar will be ineligible to play in the SLC Tournament.

Where are all these Pat Knight kool-aid sippers now?
    [/quote]

You've never had any Pat Knight kool-aid? It gives you one helluva hangover!!

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I'm not sure how you figure the APR but the way that Bruce explained it on one hand it didn't sound bad. The 42/46 is pretty good percentage wise. GPA has to be figured in there or something or how in goodness name does a team like Kentucky who runs it's program off one-and-dones not go on probation? You telling me John Calipari's kids even go to class? There has to be more to it than that. Again, another head scratching moment from the NCAA.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

There are exceptions for leaving to play professional sports .

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=baller link=topic=39037.msg58148#msg58148 date=1398100647]
    There are exceptions for leaving to play professional sports .
    [/quote]
    So what if you leave to take a great high paying job prior to graduating?

Why should becoming a "Pro Athlete" make a difference, especially if the "GOAL" is to get Student Athletes to graduate and get good jobs?

NCAA is so flawed in its thinking it is unreal.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

The NCAA has to basically herd cats to get enough of their over 300 division 1 member institutions to agree.This results in very slow progress on issues that seem to be no brainers to most.My pet peeve is that athletes have to make 20 per cent progress towards a degree every year to remain eligible.The unintended consequence of this rule is to make changing majors,which most students do at least once ,virtually impossible for athletes who wish to keep their scholarship as not all hours transfer to a new major.You would think that concerned NCAA educators who advertise about all the good they do would carve out an accommodation for students in good standing changing majors without being penalized.I did ask a few years ago if going to play professionally in other professional leagues like NFL,MLB or European leagues could result in similar APR exemptions if the athlete left in good standing and was told yes.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Chad Cooper ‏@thechadcooper

#LamarUniversity AD Jason Henderson gave me a "cannot confirm" when asked if men's hoop team was ineligible nxt season for SLC tourney