2014-2015 Men's Schedule

coachacola

Lamar needs to remember the mistake PK made biting off a little more than his team could chew. It's cool that the schedule is strong because it gives Lamar a higher profile but if we're getting out behinds kicked I'll bet a lot of posters on this site will be changing their tune about the schedule and upping the Coach Price bashing. I think a smattering of good opponents is a good thing but Lamar will need some games they have a realistic hope of winning just to build some confidence. If Price has the success he's had a other schools then by all means schedule anyone you want because we'll have the team to compete with almost anyone. 1st year of the new regime, I wouldn't get too ambitious. Let Price get a couple of recruiting classes in before we start trading punches with the big boys.

Guarantee games optimally should be highly paid,close in proximity or a special destination,and possibly winnable.The Iowa state game in winter has less of those factors than coaches I talk to would want.I expect a lower division game or two on the home schedule for player development,confidence and to balance out probable guarantee game losses.Hosting your own tournament requires sponsors with money and possibly a return game .

Coach Price said in an interview after he was hired that his schedules weren't going to be as tough as under PK until the team gets better. Knight's contract called for him to schedule more money games than Coach Price's contract, but if Lamar does play IU, Texas A&M and Iowa State then that's 3 tough money games right there. I'm wondering how many sub-D1 teams he's going to schedule. I'm ok with 1 or 2, but I hope it's not 4 a year like Coach Roc did.

I agree with a balanced schedule in which we play teams in D1 that we are competitive with. I also think that if we want to have a realistic shot at the tournament we need to play some tough teams so that we can see how to compete with these programs. Getting our brains beaten out is not fun, but the guys need to learn to win - period. We should schedule teams that we have a chance to win as well as a good test.

Northwestern St and Stephen F Austin each played non D1 games.The Lumberjacks got a dubious reprieve from the NCAA for scheduling 5 non D 1 games and didn't have to forfeit a game .Another Southland conference team was not so fortunate when they earlier asked for a waiver and were denied.To make matters worse the NCAA caused their problem by putting them against a non D1 in the preseason NIT.Advantage Lumberjacks for scheduling stupidity being rewarded by the NCAA that changed their enforcement of the same so important rule they upheld a month earlier.In conclusion a balanced schedule is optimum for this time and should get more challenging later.

I have heard from D1 basketball coaches that they understand SEC teams have to submit their non conference basketball schedule for conference review and SEC teams are discouraged from scheduling teams with an RPI below 300.The ramifications of this are numerous especially to D1 teams needing guarantee games.SEC analytic wonks must figure this will increase odds of getting another at large bid for an SEC team.This does help a flawed RPI component that does not penalize a team for loading up on home games with their conference officials which are typically required in the contract.But if you ever get the SEC school to play at your place they again typically require their conference officials at your place .If officials don't matter why do the big boys want contractually their conference officials at home and on the road even in a two for one agreement.I once posed this assertion to Dale Brown and he acknowledged the point and the advantage.The NCAA selection committes need balanced representation or points like this are often not properly weighted to the disadvantage of mid majors.

• 2 months later...

Just looked at the A&M schedule. It is not complete, but it is purportedly the complete non-conference schedule. We're not on it. I wonder if the RPI requirement Baller mentioned bit us this season. (A&M was one of the teams Coach Price mentioned in the News12 interview back in May.)

There are several SLC programs on the Aggies' schedule. Here's the SLC list. All are playing at Reed Arena. All had RPI's higher than 300. (Ours was 344 per the NCAA site.)

Northwestern State

New Orleans

Sam Houston State

Edited by LUSportsFan

Here's what I have come up with so far comparing schedules that have been released. We're on all except Indiana, but Indiana hasn't released their schedule yet so I'm still going off the report a few month ago for that one. Another program mentioned earlier in the year, Rice, has released their CUSA conference schedule; but not out-of-conference. (Based on one of the earlier posts in this thread, Rice is supposed to come to the Montagne.)

[TABLE=width: 500]

[TR]

[TD]Date[/TD]

[TD]Team[/TD]

[TD]Location[/TD]

[TD]Time[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]11/14/2014[/TD]

[TD]SMU[/TD]

[TD]Moody Coliseum[/TD]

[TD] TBA[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]11/22/2014[/TD]

[TD]Indiana[/TD]

[TD]Assembly Hall[/TD]

[TD] TBA*[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]12/02/2014[/TD]

[TD]Iowa State[/TD]

[TD]Sukup Basketball Complex[/TD]

[TD] TBA[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]01/05/2014[/TD]

[TD]New Orleans[/TD]

[TD]Lakefront Arena[/TD]

[TD]7:00pm[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]01/10/2014[/TD]

[TD]Central Arkansas[/TD]

[TD]Montagne Center[/TD]

[TD] TBA[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]02/07/2014[/TD]

[TD]Incarnate Word[/TD]

[TD]McDermott Convocation Center[/TD]

[TD]4:00pm[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

* Per Port Arthur News - I saw this on one of the Indiana fan forum sites, but they are using the Port Arthur News article as their source.

Edited by LUSportsFan