Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: World Cup

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: World Cup

Well played game overall by USA.Dempsey says "unlucky" which sounds a lot like what European trainers say to soccer kids in training.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Can somebody tell me why they added 5 minutes to the game? And, can somebody tell me why Portugal was able to just go down and score with seconds left in the game? Gut wrenching loss is a gross understatement. To be so close to winning and let it all slip away is jaw dropping. Now the US team has to play the best team in the bracket and win to advance. The team had to be taking turns kicking each other in the arses for letting this one get away.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

In reference to the extra 5 minutes...

If the question is why stoppage time was changed to 5 minutes from the previously announced 4 minutes, I don't know.

If the question is in reference to time added to the game generally, that is to account for stopping play for injuries and other things during the period. The clock does not stop during the period in soccer so stoppage time is calculated and added to the end. For example, I think 2 minutes was added to the end of the first period in yesterday's game.

In reference to the quick score, I don't know. 2-1 would have been a lot better than 2-2. I like stoppage time when my team is behind. I hate it when my team is ahead.

Sent from my Android device using Tapatalk2

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

As for wining, they do not have to win vs. Germany. A win would seal it and a draw would leave it open, but they do not have to win it to advance. They just need to keep the goal differential below that of the next team and five points should be enough to get them through. A win would be nice. As for the five minutes. If the US had waited twenty more seconds to substitute Dempsey, then they would not have added that much. But because they subbed him before the official stoppage time had been added then the powers that be were able to add the time of the substitution on to the stoppage time. It was a miscalculation by the US team.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust 'em.

Jim Valvano

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

World Cup

I could be misinterpreting what you are trying to say Big T but a draw would put both in either match would put USA and Germany through...we are both currently 1-0-1 (4 points) and a draw would put both teams at 5 points...Ghana and Portugal are both 0-1-1 (1 point) so a win for either team only put them at 4 points and a draw at just 2 points. That being said, if we lose and Ghana wins, Ghana can advance if either game is won by 2 or more goals. If Portugal wins it has to be a combination that gets Portugal's goal differential 5 goals higher than ours (i.e. 3-0 Germany and 2-0 Portugal) to advance...the next tie break after goal differential is goals scored (1 goal lead on Ghana and 2 goal lead on Portugal now)

Both matches are set for Thursday at 11 so no one will know what is going in in the other match...I think Klinsmann should call up his German buddies and say lets just kick it around for 90 minutes lol...for those of you that don't know, Klinsmann is from Germany and won the 1990 World Cup with them and coached the 2006 Germany team to 3rd place

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Wouldn't it have been much simpler for the US team to NOT go completely to sleep with just seconds to play? I heard all the scenarios before on Mike and Mike and it seemed a little desperate to me. I know they said that Germany has like a 94% chance to advance and the US has about a 75% chance with Portugal and Ghana with minimal chances. That said, and regardless of what the US team says about the good a tie is in actuality you know they have to be more than a little demoralized. I don't know the name of the blonde haired chap who ignored a pass to him that allowed Portugal to take possession of the ball in those waning moments and the commentator correctly pointed out that ultimately the blame for the final goal has to start with him. If he takes the pass and just kicks the piss out of it toward the other end of the field the USA wins. Bonehead non-move.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=KABrother88 link=topic=39117.msg58997#msg58997 date=1403538790]
    I could be misinterpreting what you are trying to say Big T but a draw would put both in either match would put USA and Germany through...we are both currently 1-0-1 (4 points) and a draw would put both teams at 5 points...Ghana and Portugal are both 0-1-1 (1 point) so a win for either team only put them at 4 points and a draw at just 2 points. That being said, if we lose and Ghana wins, Ghana can advance if either game is won by 2 or more goals. If Portugal wins it has to be a combination that gets Portugal's goal differential 5 goals higher than ours (i.e. 3-0 Germany and 2-0 Portugal) to advance...the next tie break after goal differential is goals scored (1 goal lead on Ghana and 2 goal lead on Portugal now)

Both matches are set for Thursday at 11 so no one will know what is going in in the other match...I think Klinsmann should call up his German buddies and say lets just kick it around for 90 minutes lol...for those of you that don't know, Klinsmann is from Germany and won the 1990 World Cup with them and coached the 2006 Germany team to 3rd place
    [/quote]

I wasn't very clear. The scenario for the goal differential was if the US lost the game to Germany but I forgot to add that in. Haha I am going to go out on a limb and say that Ghana will beat Portugal.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust 'em.

Jim Valvano

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Well, we can now breath easy. The USNMT was able to make it through the group of death and have advanced into the knockout round of 16! Who would have thought that the US would be able to make it out of group that included Germany, Portugal, and Ghana? I was hopeful they could but skeptical that they would. Looks like they will be facing Belgium in the next round.

Jim Valvano

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

World Cup

There are some great comedic posts on twitter today...couple of my favorites

@TheFakeESPN: Dallas Cowboys closely studying tape of USA vs Germany desperately trying to learn how to lose and still advance.

@jimgeraghty: Looks like we're going to play Belgium. Time to rename those things, "Freedom Waffles." #WorldCup

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

To see the best foul by a referee I've ever seen on a player watch a replay of 28 minutes into the US - Germany match and see the center ref extend his arm and take out Jermaine Jones .This did not effect play but CBS Sports sure highlighted it.Belgium playing second half a man down so its not a lock yet as to who we play.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=KABrother88 link=topic=39117.msg59027#msg59027 date=1403812389]
    There are some great comedic posts on twitter today...couple of my favorites

@TheFakeESPN: Dallas Cowboys closely studying tape of USA vs Germany desperately trying to learn how to lose and still advance.

@jimgeraghty: Looks like we're going to play Belgium. Time to rename those things, "Freedom Waffles." #WorldCup
    [/quote]

That first one is priceless.

Jim Valvano

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Belgium scores late so it is 1-0 and it looks like we will be playing them.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Belgium wins 1-0 .

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Talk about the stars aligning. Portugal beating Ghana was proof positive that the soccer gods are on the side of the USA. Pure dumb luck is about all you can say about the USA advancing--that and some inspired play to hold Germany to only one goal. I'm curious what the more experienced soccer fans think here--did the USA benefit from the soggy field conditions yesterday? I think everyone felt like Germany was the much better team so I wonder if torrential rains actually helped the underdog USA team. Another argument for the soccer gods pulling the US team forward.

Ha, ha. Always some way to get a dig in on the Cowboys even when it's another sport entirely. I did hear a joke yesterday from a co-worker who like to needle me about the Cowboys. Jerry Jones, inspired by the advancement of Team USA, is trying to figure out a way to tie AND advance to the playoffs. Since Dallas has gone 8-8 the last 3 seasons it may be Dallas only hope to advance. Geez, now even I'm aiding and abetting the Cowboys slammers.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

If anything, I believe that the soggy field hampered the Americans. They are know for their ability to break out and run for fast break goals. You did not see that yesterday because the field was playing so slow.

Jim Valvano