**GRAMBLING at LAMAR GAME THREAD, LU WINS 42-27 !! **

Mike

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the solid game Anthony Beard had. He's battled a lot of injuries over his career but he's stuck with it and hopefully he'll have a great year.

Every year the same two subjects seem to always come up: special teams suck and the play calling sucks. Why haven't these issues been taken care of yet?

I'm going to chalk up Carl Harris' two fumbles to him not playing last year and the wet weather. I like the RB combo of Harris and Harrington complimenting the throwing game.

Maybe it's me, but Berry seems to fumble way too much when he's under pressure.

Put me down as hating the instant replay too.

Anthony Beard played very well last night and I consider him a big reason why our defense played so well. Lamar's defense has to be stoked that he is running on all cylinders. Looking for big things from him this year.

Carl Harris was an amazing "get". The guy is good and will help the team out tremendously this year. He showed his speed and athleticsm and heart out there. Not sure what to make of the fumbling...., high and tight brother, high and tight....

Oh my goodness, the special teams were absolutely horrendous.... Special teams are all about cohesiveness, oneness, technique, and confidence all coached into the players on the field. Did the special teams play badly last year? I actually thought the special teams played very well last year. The reason the special teams sucked so bad last night is because the guy who coached the special teams last year quit. We have a good coach now, but we have to start all over gaining that cohesiveness, oneness, and confidence again to be a well perfoming unit. Why did the other coaches quit?? Why did the special teams suck last night?? Ask the athletic department. They have the answer. But, I am not ready to hop on this negative train.. But if I do, Me and CS are gonna have a party. I am hopeful that better decisions will be made in a timely manner this year.... patiently waiting and watching what happens....

Oh Coach, you did not just dog my boy Berry? :) My response is: "389 passing yards and 5 td's". You know that song, "you're gonna miss me when I am gone"?

And the play calling.. I am not a fan of running the running back into an eight man box either, trust me, I am not...... our lineman get outnumbered and it is many times a wasted play. I said this last year. But, I have been thinking I may know why we do it.. Here are my thoughts... correct me if you think I am wrong.. The reason that 7 and 8 defenders are in the box is that the defense knows that we run up the middle. Our coach knows that they know this, so the idea is to get as many defenders in the middle and away from our receiving corp in order to create as many one on one match ups and as much actual space betwen the defenders and receivers as possible. This is how we get Roberts, Nelson, Belgeton and Co. one on one match ups. Other wise they would be able to play with 2 safeties deep like we do and have more people to cover.. I am not sure, but this seams reasonable to me and just my best guess. The offense is not really geared to have a ton of rushing yards.. it is geared to have a ton of passing yards, which it is extremely successful at doing.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it was very annoying. The whole game seamed brutally long to me. I guess all the passing plus the instant replay. I didn't realize what sitting in the stands for 5 minutes with absolutely nothing going on would feel like. It was almost a dead quiet during this time period. The PA folks need to step up their game and put some music on or just keep doing that hand clap stuff..... it at least keeps the kids happy. I guess we have to weigh personally annoying with do we want to have a checking system on a call...... At this point, I am torn....

If they're going to take the time to use the instant replay system and delay the game for every close call at least get the call correct. The Begelton catch at the end of the first half was a clear TD as he extended the ball over the line. It cost the Cardinals because the next play was the 4th down stuff job.

If they're going to take the time to use the instant replay system and delay the game for every close call at least get the call correct. The Begelton catch at the end of the first half was a clear TD as he extended the ball over the line. It cost the Cardinals because the next play was the 4th down stuff job.

Haha, you are right there. I thought he was across too. I wish they would play the replay on the big screen for us all to see.