**SELA at LU Game Thread** SELA WINS 61-34

coachacola

POSTGAME LINK: http://bigredinsider.com/sela-61-lamar-27-final/

Saturday's game is slated to begin at 6 p.m. from Provost Umphrey Stadium.

The Lamar Cardinals (4-2/1-1 SLC) will be back on the field at Provost Umphrey Stadium in two days to face one of their toughest challenges of the season in nationally ranked Southeastern Louisiana. The nation's ninth-ranked team, Southeastern Louisiana enters Saturday's contest 4-2 (.667) on the season, and atop the Southland Conference standings with a 2-0 league record.

The Cardinals are coming off a hard-fought contest that saw them rally from 11 points down with just over 10 minutes remaining at Abilene Christian. Lamar is currently sixth in the league standings with a 1-1 record just a game back of the Abilene Christian in the standings. Lamar comes into the week off to its best start since the 1974 season when LU jumped out to 5-1 start.

http://www.lamarcardinals.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/100914aaa.html

LU Game Notes: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/lama/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2014-15/release/release_20141006aaa.pdf

SELA Game Notes: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/lama/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2014-15/release/release_20141009aaa_sela.pdf

Video: http://www.lamarcardinals.com/collegesportslive/

Live Audio: http://www.iheart.com/live/AM-560-KLVI-2197/?cid=main.html&pname=657&campid=play_bar&autoplay=true

Live Stats: http://www.lamarcardinals.com/gametracker/launch/gt_mfootbl.html?event=1338204&school=lama&sport=mfootbl&camefrom=&startschool=&

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lamar football is in rarified air given what week the football season is in.

The Cardinals (4-2, 1-1 Southland Conference) are off to their best six-game start since bringing football back in 2010. Before that, their best start to a season was in 1974, when Lamar started the season out 5-1 on the way to an 8-2 record for the whole season.

But even though last Saturday's 24-21 win over Abilene Christian was nice - and probably the biggest win of the season to date - there wasn't much time for Lamar head coach Ray Woodard and his team to enjoy the victory.

That's because Southeastern Louisiana, ranked No. 9 in this week's FCS Coaches Poll, comes to town today.

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/lamar/article/Lamar-follows-up-win-with-visit-by-No-9-SE-5815961.php?cmpid=twitter

Players checking out or coaching??

Both..coaching sucks and we are slowwww and can't tackle. This defense sucks!! Berry is taking a step backwards this year...granted, our line can't block for crap, but geez, throw the damn ball away or tuck it and run it.

if we don't dump all these coaches, they are gonna be in deep dookey with support...hell,the crowd tonight sucked

We gave up 615 yards! We gave up 485 yards RUSHING!! We gave up 17 points in the third quarter and 27 points in the fourth quarter!! Chew on those numbers for a second!! We weren't playing ATM or Ok State. We weren't playing Baylor or Oregon. We gave up these kind of numbers to SeLa!!! I think this could be the worst team we've had since we brought football back!!! Our coaching is pathetic and gutless!!! We could not pressure their qb at all. We could not stop the run. We couldn't run the ball. Our receivers couldn't get open. We could not protect Berry and the times we did, he held the ball too long!!!! Sickening sickening sickening!!!

I'd hate to see a guy doing everything he can to succeed and lose his job due to uncontrolables - but maybe ya'll SHOULD get what you ask for so you'll learn a lesson and just be happy LU football is back.

No coach will be able to recruit enough good players (to Beaumont) to ever compete on a consistent basis....a friend said it best after the SLU game - "we just don't have the depth that SHSU and SLU have" - which is correct...LU has good players, and they will continue to get "some"....but never enough to make a real difference on a consistent basis.........

Ya'll are delusional fans that refuse to except reality - in 62 years LU has only won conference 5 times (the last was 1971) and combined 192-254...that's 62 games below .500 and only a 43% win percentage....by those standards LU (Woodard 22-30...43%) is on track with history.

But I do have a couple questions: (and rather than bash me, please answer the question) - Why do y'all believe that LU can defy history now? What makes things different today, that could change history in this area?

PS; please do not ask why other areas can/can't, that has nothing to do with what Beaumont can or can't do...

Don't take this the wrong way but Sam Houston hasn't been a historical juggernaut. I will say they have had a really good run for the last few years but prior to the 2011 season the had a sub .500 overall record. No one on here has ever claimed that LU was a traditional power before we lost football...if we were we never would have lost it. The point people try to make is there is no reason we should accept mediocracy. LU has the resources to be a competitive team year in and year out...it will take a coach that can tap into these resources and re-energize the fan base to do that IMO. You mentioned LU's depth and I 100% agree with you...that has been an issue I was worried about since the summer. We lost 2 senior OL from our 2-deep before/during fall camp leaving us with only 14 listed and only about 8-9 with a realistic shot at playing. On D there is a serious drop off in talent from our 1s to 2s at the LB position to me. One OLB is actually listed as a DB and was just moved to LB at the beginning of the year. The secondary was the biggest question mark coming into the year and Xavier Bethany is the only one to consistently answer his question...CB Seth Ellis has flashed potential but not there consistently.

Don't take this the wrong way but Sam Houston hasn't been a historical juggernaut. I will say they have had a really good run for the last few years but prior to the 2011 season the had a sub .500 overall record. No one on here has ever claimed that LU was a traditional power before we lost football...if we were we never would have lost it. The point people try to make is there is no reason we should accept mediocracy. LU has the resources to be a competitive team year in and year out...it will take a coach that can tap into these resources and re-energize the fan base to do that IMO. You mentioned LU's depth and I 100% agree with you...that has been an issue I was worried about since the summer. We lost 2 senior OL from our 2-deep before/during fall camp leaving us with only 14 listed and only about 8-9 with a realistic shot at playing. On D there is a serious drop off in talent from our 1s to 2s at the LB position to me. One OLB is actually listed as a DB and was just moved to LB at the beginning of the year. The secondary was the biggest question mark coming into the year and Xavier Bethany is the only one to consistently answer his question...CB Seth Ellis has flashed potential but not there consistently.

I agree Sam hasn't had the greatest of history until recently..but here are the SHSU numbers...for the same timeline as LU....333-305...+28 in wins...that's 90 more wins at SHSU in the same timeline, several more conference championships and 2 national championship appearances.....

.but that's not the point...What will it take to change things at LU....I say it's NOT coaching...I say, it's the environment of the area and the lack of ability of ANY coach to bring talent to our area....people mistake the surrounding area as "Beaumont" we have plenty GOOD areas and people....but LU is in BEAUMONT....

With that said - if we are going to compare what other "college towns" do that LU doesn't - They live by their university...every store, every business, the city, etc are school colors and promote their school....all the book stores, t-shirt shops...flags flying on every corner...night clubs...radio stations...local news (TV and papers) are eat up with the Lions - Cowboys - BearKats - etc....or we can just blame it on that THIS area is all about HS football rather than having interest at the college level!

Again, this isn't to "bash" LU ..... I would really like to see them succeed....

Again. You are a damn idiot. Again, you love to bash Beaumont. If you live here, please leave. If you don't then shut the hell up because you don't know what you are talking about. You sound like Pat Knight. "I can't recruit here". If you are good at what you do you can win and you can recruit. If you aren't then you won't. Plain and simple. (hmmm...I wonder why, Price is already signing good recruits? Why did the women's basketball coach get such a great recruiting class? Why has Gilligan had the success he's had?). If you can turn a perennial doormat like SHSU into a good football program in a shithole town like Huntsville then it should be a piece of cake here. And, no, you don't want LU to succeed. You just want to get on this board and be a prick. You got your widdle feelings hurt because Lamar didn't offer everyone a scholarship that you thought they should.

Again. You are a damn idiot. Again, you love to bash Beaumont. If you live here, please leave. If you don't then shut the hell up because you don't know what you are talking about. You sound like Pat Knight. "I can't recruit here". If you are good at what you do you can win and you can recruit. If you aren't then you won't. Plain and simple. (hmmm...I wonder why, Price is already signing good recruits? Why did the women's basketball coach get such a great recruiting class? Why has Gilligan had the success he's had?). If you can turn a perennial doormat like SHSU into a good football program in a shithole town like Huntsville then it should be a piece of cake here. And, no, you don't want LU to succeed. You just want to get on this board and be a prick. You got your widdle feelings hurt because Lamar didn't offer everyone a scholarship that you thought they should.

And it continues - it's people like you that degrade others without any input as to how to turn the tide....if it's so doable then just type that....

FYI - I know because I live "in the area"....I "live in the area" and not BEAUMONT - because I KNOW! probably doesn't make any sense to you...but to each their own!

More info - since 1993 since SLC tournaments have returned.

LU baseball has only won the SLC tourn 3 times - SHSU has more (as do others)

LU basketball - only 4

LU womens BB - only 1

Not a very good argument that these sports have had anymore success

as far as the highlighted part - those kids are now kicking LU's ass at other SLC schools...maybe that should hurt alot of peoples feelings....

and I'll keep editing - Do you have any idea how many games (of different sports) I attend....you'd be surprised!

Edited by CraigS