Lamar vs. SMU Hoops - Preview Thread

SportsGuy

It's never too early to get excited for LU basketball! Thoughts & predictions??

I will be happy if Lamar scores 60+, turns the ball over less than 20 times, and makes at least 10 3-pointers. If we can keep the deficit within 20 points against a very experienced SMU team, then I am a happy camper!

I think they will have a rough time at SMU as this is going to be the first D1 game for most of these guys and the first game they are going to be playing together. SMU is very experienced and very talented but it will also be their first game of the season. I think Lamar is going to get quite a few turnovers with the increased man to man pressure and that they will be able to capitalize on those turnovers which will keep the game closer then it should be but they will struggle on the offensive end on set plays. They will have trouble stopping the SMU offense on the defensive end. 85-72 SMU.

Looking at the schedule I believe this is the toughest pre-conference game of the year. The last two years schedules were probably to tough for the talent that PK brought in but this looks like it has three or four non-D1 teams on the schedule. How do the transitioning teams in the conference count this year. Last year I believe ACU almost cost SFA a chance for the NCAA appearance. Don't mean to imply LU is a real threat to jump from worst to first in the SLC this year.

If Bosha and Sears shoot lights out like I know they can, this could be an interesting game.

I like the fact they both are big guards, will they be able to make 3 pointers? But neither one has yet to play in a D1 game, especially against a good D1 team, so it's anybody's guess how well they'll do in their first game.

Looking at the schedule I believe this is the toughest pre-conference game of the year. The last two years schedules were probably to tough for the talent that PK brought in but this looks like it has three or four non-D1 teams on the schedule. How do the transitioning teams in the conference count this year. Last year I believe ACU almost cost SFA a chance for the NCAA appearance. Don't mean to imply LU is a real threat to jump from worst to first in the SLC this year.

ACU and UIW count as Division I from now on. They will also be part of the Division I RPI calculation starting this year. They will still have a couple of years before they will be eligible for the SLC or NCAA tournament (2017-18 season), but can play in other post season tournaments if invited.

Interesting side note a little off subject: With the three APR disqualifications coupled with the ACU and UIW transitions, the eight SLC tournament slots will be filled by the remaining teams in the conference.