[Men's Hoops] Lamar at Texas Southern - LU Loses 71-59

LUSportsFan

from lamarcardinals.com

The Lamar Cardinals step on the court at Texas Southern looking for their second consecutive win - something LU hasn't accomplished in nearly three years - but to earn the win they will have to go through a very tough Texas Southern team. The Cardinals (2-3) enter Friday's game riding the momentum of a five-point victory over Arkansas State two nights ago, while the Tigers are still looking for their first win of the season.

Read more here: http://www.lamarcardinals.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/112714aaa.html

Lamar game notes: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/lama/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2014-15/release/release_20141127aaa.pdf

Link to KLVI 560 streaming site: http://www.iheart.com/live/AM-560-KLVI-2197/

Edited by LUSportsFan

I was there. Those kids looked exhausted. This has been a grueling schedule. They came out flat and they have 2 more away games.

That's too bad. The Cards have had a rough road schedule so far and it's no wonder they are tired. This can be a good learning experience for them that could serve them very well in conference play.

i was there also. I don't buy the on the road being tired excuse. This was TSU's only non-conference home game. Thier road schedule has been and will be much tougher then Lamar's. The lack of blocking out was terrible allowing TSU many offensive rebounds. 12-22 on Ft's (not sure how many were front ends of 1 & 1) Lamar's trapping game at times helped but especially in the second half resulted in many TSU easy layups. Arkansas State must be bad as Lu didn't look very good today. I was disappointed. Lamar deserves the travesty it got today in officiating by playing a SWAC team on the road using Swac officials. Those guys were terrible. Joe Wilbert shouldn't be allowed to call any games. he's a total tool, hot dog. Having said this Lu is still much better than the Knight debacle. (wish we had Mike Davis as coach though)

Several guys told me they were exhausted after the game. We have played more games then TSU. I heard that usually a team flies from one road destination to another one. These kids go away to play a game, they then come home to attend class, they then fly out again, they come back to attend class and the cycle continues. That would wear anyone out.......Now I realize why the officiating was so bad and one sided. We.might have won with different refs. TSU has a good team. Edited by Sweet T
incorrect grammar

Texas Southern played SMU,on the road, much closer than we did.We did play Indiana a bit tighter but looking at both teams' results so far,and given that the game was there, Texas Southern was not as beatable as Arkansas State that lost its five top scorers of last year and had only three returning players.We are still improving with a lot of new players learning plays on offense and defensive responsibilities.Sometimes expectations will be met and sometimes they will not.Scheduling was also left a mess by the predecessor and Price has said that he would rather play guarantee games closer to home.Some conferences now will not allow nonconference games against teams with an RPI below 250 so it's important we get to 249 to have more options.The odds are zero that APR scores would be used similarly. JUCO signees now have to have a 2.5 GPA,with fewer physical education classes counting,reducing the talent pool somewhat.

Again, I'll say this. It's only the Cards 6th game. A lot of them are still learning to play at this level and they are all still learning to play with one another. We look a LU and we've come to expect more maybe at this point than they are able to produce. I still am preaching patience and I agree with lamar1 about one thing, they have looked better than under TK. Give the guys some time. Tic will have them ready for conference and Latt is a hoss. I think confidence is lacking and that makes a lot of difference when you shoot the basketball. Honestly, they could use a couple more Arkansas States just to build some confidence.

Again, I'll say this. It's only the Cards 6th game. A lot of them are still learning to play at this level and they are all still learning to play with one another. We look a LU and we've come to expect more maybe at this point than they are able to produce. I still am preaching patience and I agree with lamar1 about one thing, they have looked better than under TK. Give the guys some time. Tic will have them ready for conference and Latt is a hoss. I think confidence is lacking and that makes a lot of difference when you shoot the basketball. Honestly, they could use a couple more Arkansas States just to build some confidence.

lol. Sugar coat it all you want. We are awful just like we have been for 30 years. Glad I didn't waste my money on season tickets. Let me know when price is gone and we get a real coach with a little class.

lol. Sugar coat it all you want. We are awful just like we have been for 30 years. Glad I didn't waste my money on season tickets. Let me know when price is gone and we get a real coach with a little class.

My son and I have had the pleasure of hanging with the team the last 3 days, this includes practice on Sunday, flying with the team Monday to Iowa, staying at hotel, eating meals, shoot around, etc. This is a great group of coaches and players that LU has. LU is already light years ahead of where they were the last few years, and this includes recruiting, coaching and the team buying in. I think LU is lucky to have a guy like Tic as coach.

And the only one with no class, is you cardinal!!!

The absolute statement that Price has "no class" is not fair.Price was well respected by other Lamar coaches and administrators for years.Price has helped improve the teams' APR and had the players thank season ticket holders and fans after games something many fans have noted shows class.Price has improved dramatically relations with local coaches,recruits and their families evidenced by the signing of local stars Bosha and Chatman.This team will have struggles this year for many reasons and no one or team is always classy but in my opinion the team is getting better and classier.Stay classy southeast Texas.