Thread: NFL Fantasy Help -- Week 14

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

NFL Fantasy Help -- Week 14

Many leagues are now in playoff mode. So advice at this point is unnecessary. I've done all I can to help you make smart choices up to now but, frankly, you are where you are because you made the right choices. Congratulations! Also, there may be no more access to the free agent pools any more but there are a couple of players worth considering.

Also, if this is you last chance to get into your league's playoffs then these players may be the ones that push you over the edge.

First, unless you are in a keeper league, don't pick up Johnny Manziel. Yeah, he did alright against the Bills but he messed up too. He may be the long term solution in Cleveland but for a last ditch push to the playoffs he's a big mistake IMO.

The Rams seem to have found something here lately. The defense that had been so dominant in recent years haven't been able to be so up until the last few games. Did they just finally find a chemistry? Have injured players returned? Who knows, but what is certain, they have been lights out and never more evident than the 52-zip drubbing they put on the Tennessee Titans. This has become a playoff caliber Def/ST in fantasy.

I know that Tre Mason has emerged but he's been gone in most leagues as is his team mate Tavon Austin but there is one guy who may be available. How about Stedman Bailey? In the last two weeks he's got 17 receptions for 189 yards and a TD. He had his first 100 yd game as a pro last week against Tennessee and with the Redskins coming up this week it's a ripe opportunity for another big week.

Arizona's John Brown has had some nice moments this year but with Larry Fitzgerald out with a knee injury he's had to take a larger role in the Cardinals offense. Trouble is it hasn't translated into fantasy points. Don't take the bait on this guy. It's too critical to take unnecessary chances.

There are 5 backs according to SBNation.com to target. Here they are and whether I agree with them.

> Dan Herron (Ind) - I agree here but only as a flex player. He's still sharing touches with Trent Richardson.
    > Doug Martin (TB) - I'm not sure I agree for the simple reason the Bucs offense isn't very good. Little bang for buck.
    > Roy Helu Jr (Wash) - I am on the fence with this one because Washington has been so anemic. The Redskins offense IS better with McCoy and SBN feels Helu may make up for the loss of DeSean Jackson who is gone for the season. It's a chance but Helu is the 3rd down back and the guy Washington likes in the passing game. Alfred Morris is a wasteland in the passing game. Against the Colts this week Washington may be forced to pass --- a lot.
    > Andre Williams (NYG) - I disagree completely. Williams has been iffy as a play even with Rashad Jennings out. The G-Men face Tennessee but Jennings should be the guy who reaps the major benefit of the Titans generously bad run defense.
    > Michael Bush, Stepfan Taylor and Marion Grice (Ari) - WTF! I'm not sure that SBN is aware of how important this week is. Apparently Andre Ellington is going to miss some time but who do you hang your hat on. Bush has only been with the Cards a couple of weeks. IMO Taylor is too small to be an every down back and Grice has had 14 total touches this season. I don't see this as an option for a play-in game for the playoffs or a win or go home game in the playoffs.
    Last edited by eagle eye; 12-05-2014 at 09:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: NFL Fantasy Help -- Week 14

The Ravens lost their All Pro nose tackle Haloti Ngata because he was suspended the last 4 games of the season for violating the NFL substance abuse policy. He admitted he had taken adderal. Speed is sort of an old school PHD but a PHD it is according the NFL and now Ngata has to face his teammates to apologize for doing something that will keep from helping them prevail in a tight AFC North division race. The Ravens defense will certainly suffer without him.

If anyone is holding out hope that they can get some fantasy value out of Vikings receiver Corderelle Patterson you better fold up that tent and walk away. Patterson has pretty much played himself out of a job. He only had 3 snap in the Vikings game last Sunday and his prognosis going forward isn't good. It's being said he is having trouble with the Norv Turner offense and playbook and for a guy that had such promise coming out of college he is certainly a bust so far. One good thing is his replacement is worth a pick up if he's available. Charles Johnson leads the Vikings with 22 targets over the past three games, hauling in 11 passes for 180 yards and a TD. Johnson was drafted by the Packers last season and spent the season on the Cleveland Browns reserve/non-injured list. Last year, if you remember, Norv Turner was the OC at Cleveland and was familiar with Johnson. Back in September Minnesota plucked him off the Browns practice squad and have been working him into their offense and he's now paying some hansome dividends for the Vikings and fantasy owners.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I had a big post last night with a lot of info regarding who's in and who's out and a tidbit or two then my wifi crashed. I have no info now since it's 10 minutes to kickoff. Set your lineups ASAP people if it's not too late already! Good luck and we'll talk about next week then. Week 14 is almost under way!

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Week 14 isn't over yet and there is already news that effects not only the NFL and players involved but fantasy owners are effected too.

First, and this is now really old news, but Bears WR Brandon Marshall is done for 2014 after sustaining broken ribs and a collapsed lung on a hit after a reception by Cowboys safety Barry Church.

If you have Arizona RB Andre Ellington you'd better have a good alternative because he is done for the year. The Cardinals have placed Ellington on IR because of a sports hernia. He had already been dealing with foot and hip injuries his season is officially over.

The notion that Browns QB Brian Hoyer was the best chance for the Browns to reach the playoffs sort of flew out the window with the Browns deflating loss to the Colts. Cleveland had the game won despite the offense only scoring 10 of their 24 points. The offense was so impotent Pro Bowl TE Jordan Cameron, returning to the lineup for the first time in weeks stated after the game when asked about the Browns offense his reply was, "We suck!" I still have to watch the film but we suck.". This was the 3rd week in a row Hoyer was ineffective and of course the rumblings for Johnny Manziel began. Today, Browns head coach Mike Pettine stated he is not ready to name a starter for this week's game against division leading Cincinnati. In the past 3 weeks Hoyer has Zero, Zip, Nada TD passes but he does have 7 interceptions. The Browns defense played well enough that even a little offense would have salted away a win for the Browns allowing them to keep pace with Pittsburgh and Baltimore who both won and both picked up a game on Cincinnati who lost---to Pittsburgh. Manziel could give a spare to the Browns offense at a time they could really use it. Stay tuned for further developments.

Titans QB Zack Mettenberger is another one done for 2014. He suffered a separation of his AC joint in his throwing shoulder. It is the second time he has injured that shoulder in the last few weeks. Jake Locker will finish the season for Tennessee assuming HE doesn't get injured again.

Colt McCoy suffered a neck strain in the Redskins loss to the Rams on Sunday. Head coach Jay Gruden will not say who will start this week against the Giants until all information on McCoy's neck is in. If McCoy can't go then RGIII will resume his role as starting QB. Speaking of the redskins, did you hear about the troll job Rams coach Jeff Fisher pulled on Daniel Snyder? He chose the players St Louis got in the RGIII deal that Washington made for the rights to draft RGIII who, except for his rookie season when the Redskins went to the playoffs, has been a bust.

It seems like the Vikings Teddy Bridgewater has had the light come on and he's been putting up good numbers for the Vikings lately culminating in an overtime victory over the Jets yesterday. The Vikings put up 30 points including an 87 yard catch and run by WR Jarius Wright in overtime. Teddy is outperforming his fellow rookie QBs so far notching his 5th win on the season. Remember I turned you on to Vikings WR Charles Johnson? Sunday he caught 4 passes from Teddy for 103 yards with a 57 yard TD reception. Wright had 4 grabs as well with that 87 yard score. The Vikings have Detroit up next and I, for one, will be rooting for Teddy and Company because if they can beat Detroit it helps Dallas' playoff chances.

If you plan on using anyone on the 49ers offense in your fantasy league all I can say is buyer beware. The low point of the 49ers year probably occurred Sunday with a loss to their neighbors by the Bay, the Oakland Raiders. The Niners fell to 7-6 and their playoff hopes are in serious jeopardy. Nobody except Michael Crabtree had a decent game against the Raiders. This team is a bit of a mess right now and they have games against the Seahawks, Chargers and Cardinals so their uphill road to the playoffs is pretty darn steep.

Good news from the NFL. Chiefs safety Eric Berry who bowed out of the season a couple of weeks ago with a lump in his chest has been diagnosed with "very treatable" Hodgkin Lymphoma. The fact he has cancer isn't the good news but the fact it is considered very treatable is great news. "This is a diagnosis that is very treatable and potentially curable with standard chemotherapy approaches," Christopher R. Flowers, MD said. "The goal of Mr. Berry's treatment is to cure his lymphoma and we are beginning that treatment now." It's looking like a very Merry Christmas in the Berry house this year. God speed to you and the others dealing with the Big C.