Thread: NFL Fantasy Help -- Week 17

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

NFL Fantasy Help -- Week 17

How long has it been? Really? 17 Weeks? I still remember how glad I was that freaking NFL training camps were beginning. Now just 4 months later I'm writing a post about the last game of the 2014 season. Most leagues had their championship game last week and for all you winners out there, congratulations. For those about to play for their league's top spot, good luck and here's some things you need to know.

1. Alex Smith will not be playing this week for the Chiefs as they fight for their playoff lives against the San Diego Chargers. Smith suffered a lacerated spleen against the Steelers last week. As a result KC will hope that Chase Daniel will be able to lead the team over the Chargers. Jamaal Charles is also listed as questionable with knee/ankle issues but my money is on him to play. As for Alex Smith, if you were counting on him to lead you to a fantasy championship I want to see the rest of your roster because it must be a doozy!

2. Phillip Rivers will likely be gutting out a bad back this week in the cold KC air like he did in San Francisco last week. In all honesty, the 49ers should never have lost that game. Ryan Mathews is going to be out so Ronnie Brown and Brandon Oliver will shoulder the load in the Bolts backfield. WR Keenan Allen is listed as questionable and should be monitored.

3. In a championship game in Week 17 you need matchups where one or both teams need to put out their best effort. Case in point, Cleveland at Baltimore qualifies. The Ravens need to win to keep their playoff hopes alive so you can be your bottom dollar Flacco, Smith Sr, and Forsette and company will be giving it their all Sunday afternoon. Cleveland may or may not go balls out. They are out of the playoff picture and they will be starting rookie QB Connor Shaw because it looks like Brian Hoyer won't be able to go. So much for Josh Gordon owners.

4. Another game where you can count on players playing hard is the showdown with Carolina and Atlanta for the NFC South division crown. Julio Jones returned to practice today after missing a couple of days with a nagging hip injury. The Falcons will be without Steven Jackson though meaning Jacquizz Rodgers may be the main man in the Atlanta backfield.

5. Broncos WR Emmanuel Sanders is listed as questionable. This is a big hit to the Broncos as Sanders has become the go-to guy for Peyton Manning. Manning will have to go back to old reliable Wes Welker if Sanders can't play. That is until Welker gets concussed again.

More to come because there are a lot of games that matter this week and that is great news for fantasy players.

Last edited by eagle eye; 12-27-2014 at 01:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: NFL Fantasy Help -- Week 17

Maybe all the noise about Johnny Manziel is right. Maybe he's a spoiled rich kid who is only out for himself. All the off field issues he's had just don't happen to responsible players, especially quarterbacks, who are looked at as the future face of the franchise. Browns head coach has had to do way to much damage control for Manziel and the latest thing is he's been fined by the team for being late for medical treatment as he was put on IR for an injury 2 weeks ago. You just wonder if this kid is really going to "get it" and become a real pro. The way things look Manziel looks like another bad pick by the Browns who continue to look for a franchise QB to lead the team.

Another huge disappointment for Cleveland has been WR Josh Gordon. He missed the first 10 games of the season due to suspension because of violation of the NFL substance abuse policy. He was heavily criticized for being out of shape and he never really looked like he was on the same page with the Cleveland QBs. To say Gordon's performance has been disappointing for the Browns and fantasy owners who took a chance on drafting Gordon despite his suspension. Underwhelming would be a good word to describe his impact in the 5 games he's played so far. Now, Gordon has been suspended by the Browns for violating team rules. What he did, or actually didn't do, was show up for the walkthrough practice today prior to the Browns game in Baltimore tomorrow. Gordon is an incredible talent but his love affair with weed and himself is going to cost him his job and maybe his career if he's not careful. So, I suppose I just took a long way to say Josh Gordon is out in Week 17

The Cowboys will be without LB Rolando McClain this week. He didn't travel with the team to Washington due to an illness. You gotta feel for the guy. He's been battling a knee problem since about Week 8 that has had him in and out of the lineup and now, just before Christmas, McClain had his 1.5 million dollar house on Lake Tuscaloosa burned down to the ground and now a sudden illness, likely the flu that has run through the Cowboys locker room, will cause him to miss this week's game. As for McClain's house, it was a total loss but fortunately nobody was home when the fire occurred. There have been rumblings that the fire could have been arson but nothing to substantiate such a rumor has come out.

For the New England Patriots game tomorrow they need to figure out who will play running back. Both LeGarrette Blount and Shane Vereen are listed as questionable on the Pats injury report. Jonas Grey has been ruled out with an ankle injury. That means Brandon Bolden and James White could see the bulk of the RB action if Blount and Vereen are sidelined.

I am going to sit back and enjoy tomorrow's slate of games. It's the last regular season game, it's the last regular fantasy football game and it's supposed to rain cats and dogs tomorrow. Pizza, popcorn and Dr Pepper with a main course of football. Not a bad way to spend the Sunday after the bedlam of Christmas. Have a great day and a happy new year to all.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: NFL Fantasy Help -- Week 17

It's been fun sharing info with you about one of my passions and it's also cool some of you gave it a look. Thanks! Regular NFL fantasy football is done for 2014, mostly because it's 2015! I hope everyone had a safe and happy new year and I look forward to doing it all again beginning, say, around August. There are plenty of public and private fantasy football games left to play during the playoffs and I hope you guys give some of them a shot. The great thing is, there are a lot of fantasy worthwhile players in these playoffs so if you give it a go, good luck.