** LU at UNO Game Thread **

coachacola

Lamar Game Notes http://grfx.cstv.com/graphics/icon-acrosmall.gif | Video | Audio | Live Stats

After Saturday night's 75-62 Southland Conference opening win over Nicholls, the Lamar Cardinals place their five-game win streak on the line Monday night when they travel to New Orleans to face the Privateers. The Cardinals enter the contest a game above the .500 mark (7-6/1-0 SLC) for the first time since the 2011-12 season, while UNO is 4-5 (.444) overall entering its conference opener.

The Cardinals opened league play with an impressive 13-point win over Nicholls Saturday night in the Montagne Center, but Lamar had to overcome a rough 20 minutes of action the first half. The Cardinals struggled out of the gate shooting less than 30 percent from the field, which included a 1-of-9 (.111) performance from beyond the arc. In addition to their struggles shooting the ball, the Cardinals also turned the ball over 16 times in the opening half. To make matters, leading scorer and rebounder Tyran de Lattibeaudiere saw limited minutes due to early foul trouble. But like Lamar has done so many times during its current five-game win streak, they found a way to win.

http://www.lamarcardinals.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/010415aaa.html

I think we will be a better team next year with another year of recruiting under Tic Price, but having said that I am excited to see how we perform this year. I think there is real talent on this team, but even with the talent we do have, we will be lucky to reach .500 by the end of the season (based on last nights performance). Having said that, I do think it is possible just because we are in the Southland (Very Weak Basketball Conference).

When I said a young team there is more than one way to look at it. Is the rotation set? Lamar is still learning a new system as a whole team, Tyran is a senior but this is his first year of D1 ball. Having looked at the stats a little more, Lamar lost the game on the boards and at the foul line. There were some poor decisions down the stretch. With inexperienced players some nights they're good and dome nights they're not.