2015 Dallas Cowboys Off-Season News and Notes

eagle eye

"Houston, we have continuity."

"Roger that Big D, good luck and have a good flight."

"Copy that and thanks."

For once there's not a lot of drama in the Dallas Metroplex surrounding the Cowboys going into the off-season. Well, unless you count the lousy way Dallas was bounced from the playoffs. Right now I think we've sort of moved on, sort of. It was a lot of good news this week out of Valley Ranch with the announcement that Jerry Jones has signed Jason Garrett to a 5 year extention which will make Garrett the second longest tenured head coach of the Cowboys behind only Tom Landry. Whether or not Garrett sticks around another 25 years to equal Landry's 29 years remains to be seen but as DallasCowboys.com's Mickey Spagnola points out in the article linked below Jerry now has what he's wanted since he bought the team, a franchise coach.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2015/01/16/spagnola-garrett-extension-gives-jones-what-he%E2%80%99s-always-been-looking

I had no doubt Garrett would be signed just like I had no doubt Garrett was on any kind of hot seat going into the season. I've told you this before but Jason Garrett had a plan when he was hired. A plan to build the Cowboys a certain way with his kind of people and that it would be a system for the long haul not the short term. Jerry knew this and he bought into Garrett's plan and that's he has been so patient with Garrett so far. The Cowboys had some talent but they were not strong where you need to be strong and that's on the offensive and defensive lines. It may be the one cliché that still holds true in football and that's, "You win in the trenches". Dallas has taken offensive linemen in the first round 3 of the past 4 years. Until they took Tyron Smith in 2011 Dallas had NEVER selected an offensive lineman in the first round in over 30 years and certainly not since Jerry bought the team in 1989. The talent on the Cowboys has improved markedly since Garrett has been the head coach. Now, in 2014 Jerry's patience was rewarded. Despite having a team nobody though would have more than 6 wins for the season the Cowboys run was such that we were all pissed because Dallas has a team that could actually win the whole ball of wax and a ref cheated us out of the opportunity. Not only do we have the Ringmaster in Garrett but his top assistants will be back as well. In the same press conference announcing Garrett's contract they announced that Rod Marinelli, he being the defensive wizard of a unit of no-names that helped propel the Cowboys into the playoffs was signed to a 3 year extension. Great news especially since Dallas can concentrate on improving the talent on defense in the draft and free agency. Not to mention getting players like Sean Lee and Justin Durant off IR as well as CB Morris Claybourne. I suspect that Mo will get one more chance to prove he's not a bust after Dallas traded up to the sixth pick in the draft in 2012 to get him. Finally, and again I said this before last summer, Bill Callahan will be let go which he was, allowing Jason Garrett to name Scott Linehan the offensive coordinator and he signed a 3 year deal. In fact Callahan may be the only coach not retained from the current staff. The writing was on the wall last summer when Linehan was signed and Callahan wanted out of his deal then but Jerry told him no, you will honor the final year of your deal and to Callahan's credit he did honor his contract and was a real pro about it. Callahan was the OC and Offensive Line Coach and with his departure the OC job has been filled and the offensive line will be in good hands because the Cowboys have promoted assistant line coach Frank Pollack to the offensive line coach. The Cowboys goal of having the issues with their staff ironed out early seems to be right in line with their time table to be able to send the staff to Arizona to coach in the Pro Bowl next Sunday. It will be interesting to see who is assigned to go to the Senior Bowl next week while the main part of the staff is busy in Arizona.

Jerry and Stephen Jones' work is far from over with however. They have a daunting list of unrestricted free agents to decide whether or not to sign. Here's a link to the list of FA's and you will see you'd probably like to see Dallas sign 90% of them.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2015/01/16/full-list-cowboys%E2%80%99-23-free-agents-headlined-bryant-murray-mcclain

Speaking of the Pro Bowl, Dallas now has seven players on the roster with the latest being long snapper LP Ladouceur being added just yesterday. Here's a link to the article about the seven Cowboys going to the Pro Bowl.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2015/01/16/cowboys-now-seven-pro-bowlers-veteran-long-snapper-ladouceur-added

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eagle eye

The off season has begun and the talk of who to keep or who to let go has also begun. A short while ago I posted a link to the free agents that Dallas has to deal with this off season. There are only a few that seem to dominate the headlines so lets take a look at some of them.

DeMarco Murray - Jerry said the week after losing to Green Bay that signing Murray AND Dez Bryant would be difficult. I disagree unless Murray's people give him bad advice. Heck even Murray said he wants to stay in Dallas. There are projections that Murray will command $8MM a year and few of the Cowboys website beat writers are not willing to pay that. Jason Garrett has said it was Murray who defined the identity of the Cowboys as a power running, tough football team. I think Murray has at least 3 good years left based on the longevity of running backs in the NFL have been. A nice 3 year deal with the majority guaranteed could be the ticket to signing Murray if he's serious about staying a Cowboy.

Dez Bryant - Everyone agrees, Dez will be signed. It's a no-brainer, isn't it? The fact is, the consensus about a contract with Dez will get done or the Cowboys will franchise him. He's not going anywhere so stop worrying.

Rolando McClain - McClain was a revelation for Dallas who had to wonder what the hell they were going to do when Sean Lee tore his ACL the first day, the first hour, of OTA's. McClain is a dynamic player when on the field. He brings a nastiness that has been missing since Charles Haley retired to the Dallas defense. His problem was staying healthy this season. There comes the rub, rookie LB Anthony Hitchens did a real nice job in his first year and that guy is a hitter too. McClain is still in his prime and it wouldn't hurt to have Hitchens as the backup for a couple of years. The thinking is the Cowboys will move Sean Lee to the SAM leaving a gap at the WILL. That leads to other signings that need to be worked out.

WILL Linebacker - I'm making this a subject of free agency talk because look at the plethora of free agents Dallas has to decide on. Let's understand one thing, Dallas cannot sign them all because that frustrating little thing called the salary cap won't let them. Nor should they. The thing about this is, Dallas needs to get better and the guys who are vying for a spot all have flaws. Take Bruce Carter. He came on and he made plays but he's also missed a lot of plays too. Or there's Justin Durant who was playing lights out before a torn ACL ended his season. What about 2011 draft pick Kyle Wilbur? Of these 3 Wilbur will likely be gone. Since he was drafted as a 3-4 LB he has struggled to find a place on the 4-3 defense Dallas changed to. The Cowboys have played him at defensive end and at linebacker and he's really failed to distinguish himself. Cameron Lawrence is another candidate. Or will Dallas try to fill the spot in the draft or free agency?

Cole Beasley vs Dwayne Harris - This is a tough decision here but for my money Beasley has the inside track.

Doug Free vs Jermey Parnell - Right tackle needs to be decided. Parnell did okay as Free's replacement after he hurt his ankle but Free was just plain better. If Free is willing to be reasonable I'd rather see Dallas resign him and let Parnell go. I say that but NFL teams got to see Parnell play and one of them needs a right tackle. Parnell will be gone if Free is signed. Ditto for Free if Parnell is signed.

That's just a glimpse of what the Cowboys are looking at. In a lot of people's minds Dallas was one bad call on a Dez Bryant catch from travelling to Seattle to play for the right to go to the Super Bowl. Dallas has got to improve it's roster and just signing the same bunch of players won't get it done.

A lot of people may not know this but the Dallas Cowboys franchise turned 55 yesterday. On January 28, 1960 the NFL awarded their first ever expansion franchise to Dallas. There is an interesting and funny story behind Dallas getting the franchise. According to DallasCowboys.com's Mickey Spagnola the Chicago Bears owner, George H Hallas saw a need in Dallas and there was a choice the NFL could have made between Dallas and Minnesota. Hallas noted that the rival American Football League was starting a franchise in Dallas under the ownership of Lamar Hunt who eventually moved his team to Kansas City where they became the Chiefs. For the first 3 years Hunt's team was the Dallas Texans. Hallas was right to champion an NFL team in Dallas. This did not sit well with Washington Redskins owner George Preston Marshall who had the southern most franchise in the NFL and he enjoyed support from the southern part of the United States. Marshall didn't want to give up a big chunk of his fan base and he also didn't want to give a franchise to Clint Murchison. Murchison had tried to buy the Redskins from Marshall in 1958 and a deal was all but done when Marshall tried to change the terms of the deal. Murchison got mad and backed out of the sale which caused Marshall to oppose any award of a franchise to Murchison. With the expansion franchise going to a vote of the owners there was another fly in the ointment, this time for George Marshall. Apparently, Marshall and the Redskins band leader Barnee Breeskin had a major falling out. Breeskin, knowing of the animosity between Marshall and Murchison, went to Murchison with some interesting information. You see, Breeskin wrote the music for the Redskins fight song, "Hail To The Redskins" while Marshall's wife wrote the lyrics but Breeskin owned the rights to the song. Breeskin approached Murchison with a deal to sell the rights to the Redskins fight song to Murchison who jumped at the deal and paid Breeskin $2500 for the rights. Murchison then called Marshall and told him he owned his fight song and that he couldn't play it without his permission. Murchison offered Marshall a deal, he would give Marshall the rights to his fight song back if Marshall would give his vote for Dallas expansion. After an expletive laden tirade Marshall gave in and thus was the Dallas Cowboys born as well as the root of one of the most fierce rivalries in NFL history.

There is one more backstory and that is Dallas was to become the Dallas Rangers with the NFL team taking the nickname of a minor league baseball team in Dallas that was thought to be folding. At the last minute, the baseball team did not fold and remained in Dallas causing the Murchison group to find another name for their new team and the rest, as they say, is history! Happy 55th Big D!

I have to make one correction from yesterday's post. Charles Haley doesn't have 6 Super Bowl rings, he has only 5 (damn the luck!). I assumed he won 3 with San Fran before moving to Dallas in 1992 but it was only two with the Bay Area Boys. He still owns more rings than any other player in NFL history and he still deserves to be in the HOF.

The link below is to Mickey Spagnola's article from DallasCowboys.com that points out that for New England to beat Seattle on Sunday evening is to look at the game tape from the Cowboys Week 6 win in Seattle. He also, not-so-subtly points out that Dallas stood a good chance of going into Seattle and winning the right to return to the Super Bowl. Drives ya crazy doesn't it. Now, there was no guarantee but the way Green Bay dominated the Seahawks for 3 quarters and 10 minutes, Dallas had the means to do the same and I'd bet my last saw buck Dallas wouldn't have blown a 12 point lead with 5 minutes or so left in the game. In past years maybe, but not in 2014. I'll tell you what, it makes my want to kick Dean Blandino right in the family jewels---twice. Think that's radical? My wife expressed the notion that Jerry Jones is a very rich man and he could hire a guy to take out Blandino and anyone else involved with that bogus no-catch call. My wife is not a violent person and THAT surprised the heck out of ME! Believe me when I say I have no intention of crossing my wife any time soon!

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2015/01/30/spagnola-one-more-improbable-thought-most-improbable-season

Want a funny story, now that we're on the subject? This comes from the Yardbarker.com website. A man in the Colorado prison system has filed a handwritten law suit against The NFL, Roger Goodell and Dean Blandino, head of officiating in the NFL. Seriously, the law suit is well written and well thought out and it shows the man used his free time in jail in the prison library researching the details for his suit. The actual amount he is suing for is $88,987,654,321.88. That's 88 BILLION dollars! It's easy to figure out the way he came up with this ridiculously high amount. The 88's at the front and back end of the number is Dez Bryant's uniform number and he just counted down from 9 to 1 for the rest of the amount. It's a pretty funny article and I hope he gets some mileage out of it because the refs in particular messed up that call big time.

http://sportsview.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/incarcerated_cowboys_fan_files_8898765432188_lawsuit_against_nfl/18140483?linksrc=story_team_dallas_cowboys_auto_module_head_18140483

Edited by eagle eye

It seems that some people just can't get out of their own way sometimes. That's what it's beginning to look like for Cowboys RB Joseph Randall. Earlier this week Randall was charged with misdemeanor possession of marijuana and issued a ticket--he was not arrested. Police were called to a hotel where Randall and a girlfriend were engaged in a domestic dispute. Reports were that the young lady and Randall were at the hotel so he could see the child he and the young lady have together. This is the second run in with the police for Randall in the past year. Last fall he was arrested for shoplifting at a local Dallas store. Constantly getting in trouble with the law is not making his image with the Cowboys very bright. He is not behaving like "the right kind of guy" that Jason Garrett is looking for as he builds the team. It also complicates matters for the Cowboys who may or may not be considering losing RB DeMarco Murray to free agency. This is evidence that Randall has some real maturity issues to deal with. We'll see how the Cowboys, who have had no comment on the issue as yet, deal with him going forward.

1990's Cowboys fans will recognize this name. Ken Norton Jr was hired by the Oakland Raiders to be their defensive coordinator. Norton began his coaching career after his NFL playing days as an assistant on Pete Carroll's USC teams. He followed Carroll to Seattle where he has been the linebackers coach. Norton joins a new coaching staff in Oakland featuring new head coach Jack Del Rio. Both Norton and Del Rio played together in the very early 90's under Jimmy Johnson before Del Rio left Dallas as a free agent and signed with Minnesota.

There is a lot of discussion on Cowboys podcasts concerning whether or not Dallas should sign RB DeMarco Murray. This business with Joseph Randall isn't helping matters any. Randall has shown potential and in many cases he has shown the Cowboys a spark and he certainly has more speed than Murray. The question is whether or not Randall can be trusted not screw up in his personal life. I personally think Murray should be resigned but a team friendly deal would be the most important aspect of any deal going forward. The Cowboys have too many needs to break the bank for Murray. I know it's a little early for free agent talk but if you overpay for Murray than any chance of Dallas signing a top notch free agent like--say--Ndamukong Suh to beef up the D-line would be out of the question. If anyone can do it I feel like the Cowboys can. They spent a few years in the 2000's overpaying players. Safety Roy Williams, WR Roy Williams, Terrell Owens and Marion Barber are among a plethora of players the Cowboys over valued and over paid that had them in salary cap hell for years when they didn't pan out. Dallas has been a lot more fiscally responsible in the last 4 years which is about when Jason Garrett became head coach. Under Garrett the Cowboys have been working with a definite plan in mind. The talent has been significantly upgraded and they roster has gotten a lot younger. Dallas has to be considered a major player going forward in the hunt for the Super Bowl. Being smart about player evaluation and being even smarter about managing salaries to make the team better from top to bottom is a rule of thumb now in Dallas. The thing that separated the great coaches like Tom Landry, Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcels was their ability to evaluate talent and many consider Jason Garrett good at that aspect of his coaching abilities. I feel more comfortable trusting this staff and the Cowboys front office more than I have in a while. Jerry Jones didn't win GM of the Year for 2014 by making stupid decisions. Despite wanting to more than we will ever know Jones did not select Johnny Manziel with the 16th pick in the 2014 draft. He listened to his war room who convinced Jones that G Zack Martin was the way to go. Jones agreed and the rest is history, Martin became All Pro and was in the top three for Offensive Rookie of the Year. Garrett is attempting to build both the offensive and defensive lines believing the old adage that you win ball games in the trenches. That said, I believe that DeMarco Murray is the face of the hardnosed smash mouth team Garrett is and has built. With the window closing on the careers of Tony Romo and Jason Witten Jerry wants with all his heart to get championship rings for those two players who have given so much for so long. Especially for Romo who has 2-3 years realistically left of being an effective signal caller. Witten's legacy won't depend on a championship. He's already being penciled into the Hall of Fame. Romo is putting up HOF numbers but he may never get there if he can't win a ring, or two. He'll be the new millennium Danny White. Good QB but just couldn't win the big one.

DallasCowboys.com has begun a breakdown of the roster aptly titled "Position Series". It is an 11 part series and they lead off with a look at the defensive line.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2015/02/02/position-series-breaking-down-cowboys%E2%80%99-needs-defensive-front

Part 2 of the position series the guys from DallasCowboys.com look at tight ends.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2015/02/04/position-series-consistency-remains-tight-end-both-production-personnel

Here's the links to the 3rd and 4th articles in the DallasCowboys.com "Position Series".

Position Series - Part 3 - Safeties

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2015/02/04/position-series-safeties-were-productive-2014-improvement-necessary

Position Series - Part 4 - Offensive Guards

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2015/02/05/position-series-2-pro-bowlers-locked-o-line-interior-could-use-depth

With ongoing discussions all over the media concerning the future of Cowboys RB DeMarco Murray it could the most telling with one quote from Murray himself. “It’s not about the yards for me. It’s about winning a Super Bowl. If this place gives me the best chance, I’m going to stay here,” he said.

-- quote from article on DallasCowboys.com

Obviously, this isn't the final say in the matter but Murray saw how close they came to playing for a ring. Literally everybody who matters at Valley Ranch wants Murray back and now it's up to Jerry Jones and his people to find a number that is acceptable to Murray and his people. I just can't help but believe DeMarco Murray will be back for at least the next 3 years--with an option for fourth.

Edited by eagle eye

Here's the 5th and 6th installment of the Cowboys.com "Position Series"

Position Series - Part 5 - Cornerbacks

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2015/02/06/position-series-aside-scandrick-plenty-uncertainty-cb-going-forward

Position Series - Part 6 - Offensive Tackles

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2015/02/09/position-series-dominant-left-tackle-secured-all-ot-concerns-shift-right

Dallas has signed two of the 23 free agents they need to address this off season. The signed exclusive rights free agent linebacker Cam Lawrence and they also signed free agent DL Davon Coleman. Both players were expected to return this coming season and the Cowboys took care of the formality this past week. They are also expected to sign their other two exclusive rights free agents G Ron Leary and OT Darion Weems. Exclusive rights free agents are generally undrafted players and if their team extends the minimum qualifying offer no other team can claim them. Leary may be worth giving way more than the minimum offer because he has become an integral part of the Cowboys offensive line. If Dallas undercuts Leary he may remember the slight when he becomes an unrestricted free agent.

Edited by eagle eye

The "Position Series continues today with Parts 7 and 8 of the 11 part series.

Position Series - Part 7 - Linebackers

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2015/02/10/position-series-linebacker-corps-overcame-adversity-now-faces-plenty-uncertainty

Position Series - Part 8 - Running backs

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2015/02/11/position-series-future-running-back-team%E2%80%99s-most-pressing-issue

This weekend the NFL Scouting Combines will meet once again in Indianapolis, Indiana to poke, prod, measure, question and analyze this year's top crop of prospective NFL players. Beginning Wednesday actually the process begins. Coverage will be extensive on ESPN and the NFL Channel but if I could suggest maybe checking out the podcasts from DallasCowboys.com on a program called "The Draft Show". It is hosted by former NFL scout for the Packers and Cowboys, Bryan Broaddus, who is now a contributing member of the DallasCowboys.com staff. He is joined by fellow DallasCowboys.com staff member David Helman and a guy from CBSSports.com. Dane Brugler as they recap the day's events beginning Wednesday afternoon. "The Draft Show" is normally done once a week up until the actual NFL draft and they do give insight to who is turning heads and who could fill needs for the Cowboys. All these men are very opinionated and give some insight on what makes a player worth a look or not. Broaddus is enthusiastic and brings a scout's eye to the table. Helman is conservative without much sentimentality for hanging on to players if Dallas could get better by moving on. Brugler does his homework and he brings his own view of the players from an overall standpoint and not just for the Cowboys. Check it out.

Continuing the "Position Series" from DallasCowboys.com with Parts 9 and 10 of the 11 part series.

Position Series - Part 9 - Quarterbacks

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2015/02/13/position-series-romo%E2%80%99s-contract-roster-depth-stand-out-cowboys-quarterbacks

Position Series - Part 10 - Wide Receivers

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2015/02/16/position-series-wr-spot-has-both-youth-experience-just-needs-contracts-locked

I spoke of CBSSports.com NFL writer Dane Brugler in an earlier post. Here's an article from Brugler from DallasCowboys.com talking about the top players who WERE NOT invited to the NFL Scouting Combine. I have to correct myself. In an earlier post I said the combine begins on Wednesday but I was incorrect, it begins today.

Here is the schedule for the next 6 days of the combine.

DAY 1 ARRIVALS*: Group 1 (PK, ST, OL), Group 2 (OL), Group 3 (TE)

[TABLE=class: tablepress tablepress-id-24]

[TR=class: row-1 odd]

[TD=class: column-1]Tuesday

February 17, 2015[/TD]

[TD=class: column-2]Travel to Indianapolis* ~ Registration ~ Hospital Pre-Exam & X-rays ~ Orientation ~ Interviews[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: row-2 even]

[TD=class: column-1]Wednesday

February 18, 2015[/TD]

[TD=class: column-2]Measurements ~ Medical Examinations ~ Media ~ Interviews[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: row-3 odd]

[TD=class: column-1]Thursday

February 19, 2015[/TD]

[TD=class: column-2]NFLPA Meeting ~ Psychological Testing ~ PK/ST Workout ~ Bench Press ~ Interviews[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: row-4 even]

[TD=class: column-1]Friday

February 20, 2015[/TD]

[TD=class: column-2]On-Field Workout (timing, stations, skill drills) ~ Departure from Indianapolis[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

DAY 2 ARRIVALS*: Group 4 (QB, WO), Group 5 (QB, WO), Group 6 (RB)

[TABLE=class: tablepress tablepress-id-25]

[TD=class: column-1]Wednesday

February 18, 2015[/TD]

[TD=class: column-2]Travel to Indianapolis* ~ Registration ~ Hospital Pre-Exam & X-rays ~ Orientation ~ Interviews[/TD]

[/TR]

February 19, 2015[/TD]

[TD=class: column-2]Measurements ~ Medical Examinations ~ Media ~ Interviews[/TD]

[/TR]

February 20, 2015[/TD]

[TD=class: column-2]NFLPA Meeting ~ Psychological Testing ~ PK/ST Workout ~ Bench Press ~ Interviews[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: column-1]Saturday

February 21, 2015[/TD]

[TD=class: column-2]On-Field Workout (timing, stations, skill drills) ~ Departure from Indianapolis[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

DAY 3 ARRIVALS*: Group 7 (DL), Group 8 (DL), Group 9 (LB)

[TABLE=class: tablepress tablepress-id-26]

February 19, 2015[/TD]

[/TR]

February 20, 2015[/TD]

[/TR]

February 21, 2015[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: column-1]Sunday

February 22, 2015[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

DAY 4 ARRIVALS: Group 10 (DB), Group 11 (DB)

[TABLE=class: tablepress tablepress-id-27]

February 20, 2015[/TD]

[TD=class: column-2]Travel to Indianapolis ~ Registration ~ Hospital Pre-Exam & X-rays ~ Orientation ~ Interviews[/TD]

[/TR]

February 21, 2015[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: column-1]Sunday

February 22, 2015[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: column-1]Monday

February 23, 2015[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

The ongoing drama that is the contract negotiation for Dez Bryant. It was recently reported that the Cowboys will likely use the franchise player tag on Bryant if a long term deal cannot be reached. Bryant is looking for a big Calvin Johnson-type of contract which is 7 years $113+ MM. Bryant feels he should be paid like what he is--a top 5 wide receiver. Ironically, the deal was almost done last Octorber when Dez' agent Eugene Parker and the Jones family were in contract negotiations. However, in the middle of the whole process Dez fired Parker and signed with Jay-Z's Roc Nation firm. Jerry Jones was against the move at the time and he has shown reluctance to engage in any talks with Roc Nation reps. Even in the second half of the season the talk about franchising Dez began. Recently Dez tweeted that the Cowboys commitment to signing him and making the team better was in question because they were considering franchising him. Stephen Jones disagreed with Dez' assessment by saying that if Dallas wasn't committed to Dez they wouldn't bother to franchise him. But, they do value him and want him to be a Cowboy hence they are going to do what is necessary to keep him and not expose him to the free agent market. It comes down to the Cowboys front office opinion of Roc Nation which isn't all that great from all appearances. Earlier in his career Dez fired Eugene Parker so he could sign with super agent Drew Rosenhaus. Apparently, Rosenhaus and Dez didn't hit it off and he went back to Parker. Dez has some immaturity issues even though he's shown that he is beginning to grow up. However, if Dez is having some worm tongue at Roc Nation in his ear Dez may be forgetting how much Dallas has done for him to this point. The Roc Nation people may not have Dez's best interests at heart and may be making a cash grab to line their own pockets. I'll bet that Dallas is willing to give Dez a healthy contract but they want some protection in case Dez falls of the straight and narrow path Dallas has had him on since the jewelry incident after signing his rookie contract. You remember that. When Dez signed his contract he promptly went out and spent more money than he actually had to get his homeys some bling? Yeah, sure you do. So does Jerry and Stephen Jones and like it or not the Jones' family has learned some hard lessons about overpaying players and getting sent to salary cap hell as a result. The Cowboys can franchise Dez up to 3 times at least, if not more. He gets his money and Dallas has at least some assurance they won't get the short end of the salary cap stick. Dallas doesn't trust Dez and they sure don't like Roc Nation. Dez may have to live being paid year to year with top 5 money. What a bad break for him. He gets roughly $13 MM for one season. BTW, there is no reason the Cowboys and Bryant can't work out a long term deal after the Cowboys franchise him. New Orleans did it with Jimmy Graham so it can happen with Dez too. One thing is for sure Dez will be a Cowboy in 2015 let start worrying around DeMarco Murray.

Dallas signed their other two exclusive rights free agents G Ron Leary and OT Darion Weems. These two players are the last of the ER free agents and Leary was signed pretty cheap for a starting guard on what has been called the most dominant offensive line in the NFL. Leary and Weems both signed one year deals for $585K which should take Leary close to being a free agent, certainly a restricted free agent, next year. His original contract was that of an undrafted free agent even though Leary had a second round grade. Leary fell out of the draft because of concerns over a degenerative knee condition. Dallas has reaped the benefits of this signing as Leary has started 31 of 32 games and he's become one of the best run blockers on the team. Weems was signed in December of 2012 spending that season and 2013 on the Cowboys practice squad. Weems missed all of last season because of a shoulder surgery. Dallas is likely hanging on to Weems because both starting tackle Doug Free and backup Jermey Parnell are both unrestricted free agents. A GM's job is never done, no off season for them at all.

The biggest issue in recent Cowboys history that has nothing to do with contracts or free agency or the draft was the catch that was not a catch rule made by the NFL league office and ultimately led to the ousting of the Cowboys from the playoffs. Ask anyone including Cowboys haters and they admit that Dez made the catch. Whether you argue that it was an athletic move or just a rumbling, bumbling, stumbling effort the fact is Dez never let the ball touch the ground and though he momentarily had to recatch the ball after he hit the ground AND rolled over from his stomach to his back before he made the catch. Even by rule the player controlled the ball. If he was out of bounds and he to "recatch" the ball I can see ruling it incomplete but Dez never left the playing field. It was a catch and I don't give a crap on a cracker what the NFL league office tried to spin it. They blew the call and they don't want to admit it. I say the league officials blew it because the man right on top of the play ruled it a catch. He did it on the field over riding the incomplete call another official not even close to the play originally ruled. Jason Garrett addressed the issue in a press conference yesterday and he pointed out this fact in answer to the question concerning the play. With about 5 minutes left in the game if the catch had stood and Dallas likely to reclaim the lead who knows what would have happened. But, we'll never know because the kick-in-the-gut ruling surely took the air out of the Cowboys. They tried like hell and even the 3rd or 4th down play when the Packers got their final 1st down occurred when the ball was tipped at the line of scrimmage and it was still caught by a Randall Cobb. Fate, kismet, whim of the gods, however you want to say it the Packers were able to hang on to the ball and win the game. It is incredibly ironic that Dallas got screwed with 5 minutes left in the game and Green Bay was the beneficiary of the play but in Seattle with the same 5 minutes or so left in the game against the Seahawks and a twelve point lead the Packers had a colossal meltdown and ended up handing a trip to the Super Bowl to Seattle. Don't believe in football gods? There, my friends, is evidence to the contrary.

The reason for this rant is related to the combine and news coming from Indianapolis is that no discussion is going to take place this week. A member of the NFL competition committee, Jeff Fisher, said that other matters took precedence over that subject but it would be addressed at a later time. Fisher did say one thing about it and that it was a shame the play happened in a playoff game. To me there is a distinct different between what happened at Lambeau Field and the so-called Calvin Johnson rule because Johnson put the ball down on the ground after the catch. In the Dez catch the ball never touched the ground and Dez remained in the field of play. It was such a ball busting moment to have a guy in New York overturn the guy on the field who took control of the play and made the right call. Total BS and it's not beyond the realm of possibility that Dallas had a real shot at beating Seattle and going to it's first Super Bowl in 19 years. It will be a long time before I will be able to let this go. A long, long time.

Here's a link to Day 2 of the Cowboys Draft Show from Indianapolis.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/video/2015/02/19/draft-show-live-nfl-combine-day-2

There seems to be some buzz about Boise State running back Jay Ajayi. Here's an article from DallasCowboys.com's David Helman about Ajayi.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2015/02/20/plenty-cowboys-connections-abound-boise-state-running-back-jay-ajayi

The NFL Combine is over now and the next step in the path to this year's draft will be the player pro days that are held at their respective colleges and universities. You'll see all that coverage on ESPN and the NFL Network. There were some names that stood out at the combine but, maybe it's me, but it doesn't seem to have the buzz around as in years past. Maybe it's because the lack of depth in the quarterback ranks. Is there a WR you are particularly jacked up about? Me either. The top running backs seem to be coming off injuries which sort of dampens the buzz around them. They say that there is a lot of depth in the pass rush class of 2015. I guess but the best of the lot is from UCLA coming off back to back seasons of hip surgery. The one guy I am really interested in is a cornerback from Michigan State Tre Waynes. The guy ran a 4.31 40 and had a 38" verticle. He also had 19 reps of 225 lbs on the bench and a broad jump of 122". What that tells me is he's fast and athletic and he's proven he can cover man to man and is a an effective tackler. Trouble is, he will be gone before Dallas picks at No 27. There seems to be a lot of guys who are projected 2nd and 3rd rounders and not so many legit 1st round picks. Maybe this is the year Dallas can drop back a few picks and add an extra pick or two. One thing for sure Dallas still needs help on defense notably on the D-line. What the Cowboys lacked wasn't effort but it was pressure on the QB as the Cowboys again were at the bottom end of sacks last season. It's their one Achilles heel. Their other problem is at linebacker. They have one healthy guy right now in 1st year man Anthony Hitchens. He was a 4th round pick that hit. The rest of the guys are either free agents and/or coming off injury. See Sean Lee, Justin Durant, Kyle Wilbur, Rolando McClain and Dakota Watson. Talk about a position with a lot of question marks. Well, here's a look at some defensive players from the Scouting Combine by DallasCowboys.com's Bryan Broaddus.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2015/02/23/scouting-report-breaking-down-top-combine-targets-defensive-workouts

We have heard nothing so far about anyone else who is a free agent in Dallas except for the discussions over what should be done with Dez Bryant and DeMarco Murray. On DallasCowboys.com 3 of their staff writers Nick Eatman, Bryan Broaddus and David Helman give their take on who is tops on the free agent signing list.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2015/02/24/10-free-agent-questions-after-dez-murray-who-no-3-fa-priority-list

The Cowboys have some issues to deal with at the cornerback position. Here's an article from DallasCowboys.com where 3 of their staff writers give their opinion of what the Cowboys should do to address those issues this off season.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2015/02/27/10-free-agent-questions-how-should-cb-position-be-approached-offseason

LB Justin Durant announced that he has been cleared for off season work. Around mid season Durant was lost for the rest of the year due to a torn biceps but now he's healed and ready for whatever team he ends up with begins their off season workout. Durant was having a really nice season before his injury and due to his age (29) coupled with his experience in the NFL (8 years) is both a good thing and bad thing. His experience is a good thing while his age and the fact that he's coming off an injury is a bad thing, at least in terms of him getting a big free agent deal. Durant may well be one free agent that Dallas will be able to resign and according to the writers on DallasCowboys.com is guy they thing Dallas would want back in 2015. We'll see how things develop here.

The saga of the mysterious video of Dez Bryant's heretofore unseen and unfound video continues. The latest is that there was an issue at a Dallas area Walmart involving a woman. It seems there are conflicting stories about the incident (imagine that!) it seems that the police looked into an event at the Walmart and found no evidence of wrong doing on anyone's part so the matter was dropped. Apparently, Dez was at the Walmart to help the lady in question according to her statement but, as yet, no video has been located or otherwise released. The fact that the incident in question happened in 2011 and is just now coming out, well, let's just say it seems pretty fishy to say the very least. Dez is pissed because he believes that the Jones family is circulating the rumors about the video to enhance their bargaining position for his contract. I think there's just too much cloak and dagger for this to be true. It could be anti Cowboys spreading the rumors to try to sabotage the contract negotiations in an attempt to create friction in the Cowboys locker room. Money can't buy happiness but lack of it can certainly create discord. A long term deal is going to be hard now with Dez feeling "betrayed" by the Cowboys and the media. Jerry will have to have a face to face with Dez and smooth things out. Dallas can't be reckless here. They will have to talk to Dez before they hang the franchise tag on him or they risk alienating Dez for good. Yes, Dallas can franchise Dez this year and next and even the next year but there is no guarantee Dez will play hard. Attitude is everything and if Dez feels animosity there is nothing that says he plays with the all out abandon that he has up to now. This video thing is serious and the Jones family and Dez need to come to an understanding and, unless I miss my guess, Dez needs to stop listening to his homeys and Roc Nation who are trying like hell to break somebody's bank with a free agent deal and are dealing in some poison pen discourse against the Jones's.

Here's an article from CowboysHQ.com that offers a realistic contract offer to Dez that would satisfy the Cowboys and Dez. It actually looks like a pretty reasonable deal.

http://dal.scout.com/story/1521854-cowboys-dez-10-fishtips-fish-video?s=112

Edited by eagle eye

Apparently the noise over Dez getting the franchise tag was really no big deal after all. Just another bit of media hype and too much crap going down on twitter. On Monday the Cowboys did what they have been talking about since last season by franchising Bryant and neither the Cowboys or his agent from RocNation Tom Condon seemed to worried about it. The Cowboys still want to work out a long term deal with Dez that will make him happy, help the Cowboys cap more than a $12.823 MM hit will allow, and protect the Cowboys in case Dez messes up off the field. It's all good and my own fears were simply unfounded. That's what can happen if you are on the outside looking in. According to DallasCowboys.com's Mickey Spagnola it would be no surprise to see the Cowboys and Bryant agree on a deal before next Monday's free agency period begins. This would make Dez happy and it would the Jones family happy and it would allow the Cowboys to focus on getting a deal done with DeMarco Murray. Win-win-win right? Right. Tagging Dez apparently was the signal to Bryant and his agent to get serious with the contract negotiations. The Cowboys placed the Non-Exempt franchise tag on Dez which allows teams to negotiate with him but if he wants to sign with another team that team would have to give up their first round pick this year and next year to get him. It's a price Dallas is all too familiar with since they gave up two first round picks for WR Joey Galloway way back in 2000 to give Troy Aikman and Emmitt Smith a WR to replace Michael Irvin for one last run at a Super Bowl. That deal backfired big time when Galloway tore his ACL in the first game as a Cowboy. Later that same year Troy Aikman was lost for the season and his career with yet another concussion. It took Dallas years to overcome that deal. It's possible they could be looking at a similar deal from the other side of the fence --- but not likely.

Just to prove that the Cowboys are not guilty of tunnel vision over Dez Bryant's contract situation the Cowboys agreed to a 4 year extension to WR Cole Beasley's contract. Beasley's deal will be worth around $13.6 MM over the four years of the deal. Beasley was to be a restricted free agent beginning Monday and Dallas took care his contract to avoid taking a chance on losing him. Beasley became an important piece of the Cowboys puzzle last season having a breakout season and in particular his December was a clear sign that he was an important part of the offense. This means that the top receivers for the Cowboys are signed for at least the next two years except for Dez. Jason Witten is signed through 2017, Terrence Williams is signed through 2016 and now Beasley through 2018.

Edited by eagle eye

The Cowboys signed a player yesterday but it wasn't one of their own free agents. It was a veteran linebacker named Keith Rivers. Here's a couple of links from DallasCowboys.com explaining the deal and a scouting report from Bryan Broaddus.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2015/03/04/cowboys-sign-veteran-linebacker-keith-rivers-one-year-deal

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2015/03/05/scouting-report-grading-tape-newly-signed-linebacker-keith-rivers

Okay, I feel a little TMZ-ish right now but guess who was spotted at the Duke-Wake Forrest game last night? In an annual trip to Blue Devil-land Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett, QB Tony Romo, TE Jason Witten and a special guest RB DeMarco Murray! Read into that what you will but it gives those of us hoping Dallas can hang on to Murray some glimmer of hope a deal can be done. In the second half Romo got antsy and after trying, and failing to get Murray to go with him Romo ran across the court from his seat with his Cowboys teammates and coach and took a seat in the student section with the "Cameron Crazies". Duke won of course and a good time was had by all.

from the bleacher report--

http://collegespun.com/acc/duke/photos-tony-romo-ran-across-the-court-so-he-could-sit-with-the-cameron-crazies-at-tonights-duke-game

Well, it's a done deal. The offensive line will remain the same for the next 3 years at least. Right tackle Doug Free has agreed to a 3 year $16 MM deal with $6 MM guaranteed. Free is 31 but linemen tend to be able to play into their mid thirties for the most part and this 3 year deal is great news for the Cowboys and it also means that one of the most respected offensive lines will be able to continue on together with their elder statesmen on board. Many around the Cowboys camp felt a deal with Free would be done and the other right tackle on the Cowboys roster, Jermey Parnell, would be the free agent that was allowed to walk. It seems that popular opinion was correct. As far as Free being signed, I am as pleased as I can be. Now, can Dallas figure out a way to sign RB DeMarco Murray? That is the question hanging on most Cowboys fan's minds now.

As for Murray, the move made by Philly dumping Shady McCoy and his $11 MM cap hit onto the Buffalo Bills may see the handwriting on the wall. That deal and the Saints signing of Mark Ingram to a contract for $16 MM for 4 years could be a benchmark for negotiations. The thing is, Murray knows which side of the bread needs the butter. He knows he has a top notch O-line, a good QB and good receivers around him. He knows he's on a playoff team that was a bad call away from playing for the right to go to the Super Bowl. A 3-4 year deal with most of the money guaranteed could be just what the doctor ordered as long as the money was in the 6-7 million dollar a year range. I can't help feeling a deal will get done.

It's time to think about the defense for a while. It looks like the offense is going to be alright. So, what does Dallas need to do? Well, they already signed a linebacker, I posted about that the other day. There are guys that Dallas would like to sign as well. How about just talking about the linebackers? I really would like to see Dallas cut a deal with newcomer Rolando McClain. The guy, when healthy, is a beast and shoe-in fit at MIKE linebacker. That leaves the athletic Sean Lee, coming off ACL surgery, to move to the WILL. He has great instincts and when healthy he's a dynamic playmaker and isn't it about time Lee caught a break from the injury bug? The feeling is that Dallas has a real chance to sign Justin Durant who is coming off a torn bicep. In 2014 Durant was having a great season for Dallas before getting hurt. The trouble is, Dallas is looking at 3 starting backers coming off injuries. The good news is they have a 2nd year player in Anthony Hitchens who may end up being the best 4th round draft pick in Cowboys history based on how well he performed in his rookie season. The jury, as they say, is still out on him. Does Dallas try to resign Bruce Carter? He had a heckuva December but he has been, by and large, a bit of a disappointment as a 2nd round draft pick.

So far CB Morris Claiborne has been the only first round pick miss in the last 5 years. In 2010 Dallas got Dez Bryant with the 24th pick in the 1st round. (Pro Bowl, All Pro) In 2011 Dallas got LT Tyron Smith with the 9th pick in the first round. (Pro Bowl, All Pro), 2013 C Travis Frederick. (Pro Bowl) and in 2014 Dallas got G Zack Martin with the 16th pick. (Pro Bowl, All Pro as a rookie) Dallas traded up to the 6th pick in the 2012 draft to get Claiborne and he's been in rehab more than he's been on the field. This off season could be make or break for Mo. Dallas has got to get better at cornerback and this could be Claiborne's last chance to live up to his draft position. Hopefully, Mo will be a late bloomer. Everyone would love to see him do well and with only one good year on his resume it may not be all that hard to exercise the 5th year option they have on him by offering him a contract extension. Just trying to think ahead here but considering the Cowboys have stuck with Claiborne through mostly thin times he may be willing to give Dallas the old "home town discount" when it come time and he looks to be finally coming into his own. It may be nothing but Claiborne needs to show something, anything this off season or his time as a Cowboy may be over.

Edited by eagle eye

Will they keep DeMarco Murray or not. This question is still burning all over Cowboy-nation. Reports are the Cowboys and Murray's reps haven't spoken in a week. What does that mean? It's a fact that Murray took everything Cowboys related off his twitter account. Does this mean he's not satisfied with the last offer he received from the Jones family brain trust or does it mean he's taking the best deal he can and leaving Dallas? I think the jury is still very much out and even if Murray doesn't sign today it doesn't necessarily mean he won't sign with Dallas. The Cowboys may want Murray to visit some clubs to see what the market value is for him. Will he get LeSean McCoy money from someone? Will he only get a Mark Ingram $16 MM 4 year deal? I feel Dallas would pay more for Murray than that but I would also bet they won't pay him AP or Shady type of money either. Find a middle ground people and let's get this thing done. PLEASE!

Here's a link to a Nick Eatman article on DallasCowboys.com with the thought that with Rod Marinelli running the defense in makes sense to sign Murray. It sure has my curiousity picked.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2015/03/10/eatman-marinelli-running-defense-paying-more-murray-makes-sense

Meanwhile the clock is ticking down to the 3 o'clock hour. Tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock. Now the Bleacher Report is saying Dallas like C J Spiller and that the Cowboys tried to trade for him 2 years ago. Cat and mouse games never stop do they?

Black Tuesday or the beginning of NFL free agency was busy as heck today with a lot of previously negotiated contracts made official, a slew of players agreeing to terms with other teams and in a most usual turn of events for free agent day were the amount of trades that took place---some quite surprising indeed.

As for the Cowboys, there were two departures that sort of hurt. The first was Justin Durant who agreed to a deal with the Atlanta Falcons. I think that since Durant missed the last 10 games last season because of a torn biceps the Cowboys thought maybe they would not have a hard time resigning him to a deal. However, I suppose the Falcons did their homework including watching film of the way Durant played last year for the six games he was healthy. He played all three linebacker spots at one time or another and he played well. Durant turns 30 this September and the Falcons felt he was worth paying $3 MM a year for 2 years. Durant is one of 3 free agent linebackers this year. The other two are Bruce Carter and Rolando McClain. Neither player had visits with other teams today but Carter is scheduled to make visits to Houston and Tampa Bay this week. McClain failed a drug test earlier this year and he will be suspended for the first 4 games of the 2015 season so he may not be all that attractive to prospective teams. That said, McClain was a dynamic player when on the field which was limited down the stretch due to nagging injuries. Would love to have McClain especially with a full off season of work with the Cowboys training staff but you just never know.

The other player to leave was WR/KR Dwayne Harris. Harris was the Cowboys 4th receiver and it's been said that the signing of Cole Beasley signaled the end of Harris' tenure in Big D. What people forget is Harris' involvement in the Cowboys special teams groups. He was the return man on both kickoffs and punts and he was on both coverage units. He was actually led the team in special teams tackles last year. I hate to see Harris go and what makes matters worse is he went to the NY Giants for God's sake. Now we have to face the son of a gun twice a year! The Giants gave Harris a 5 year $17.5 MM deal with $7 MM guaranteed.

No word on DeMarco Murray. He made no visits to any team today and as far as anyone knows he hasn't scheduled any as yet. The rumor mill has Murray's name linked with Jacksonville who has been a big player the last few days, he had been linked to Philly but the way Chip Kelly is dumping players and salaries I don't see him wanting to pay a big contract to Murray. The Oakland Raiders have been mentioned a people of interest but nothing substantial as yet there. Rumors were going around that Arizona may be interested but earlier today a Cardinal's official said that the Cardinals were not interested in Murray at this time. Murray's agent Tom Condon from RocNation met with the Cowboys yesterday and today but, again, no word one way or the other has been forthcoming.

Dallas lost another linebacker today. The Tampa Bay Bucs signed Bruce Carter to what is believed to be a 4 year $20 MM deal today. The Cowboys better hope they can sign Rolando McClain or they will be hurting at the spot, at least depth wise. Right now the projected starters would Anthony Hitchens at MIKE, Sean Lee at WILL and newly signed Keith Rivers or Cam Lawrence at the SAM. Dallas could look for a reasonably price backer in the second week of free agency or hope they hit on a guy or two in the draft the way they hit on Hitchens last year.

According to the Bleacher Report at the UCLA pro day DE prospect Owamagbe Odighizuwa had a terrific work out. Also on display was LB Eric Kendricks, QB Brett Hundley and S Anthony Jefferson among of NFL hopefuls working out today. Here's a link from DallasCowboys.com featuring a write up of the day's activities by Daily Bruin UCLA beat writer Jordan Lee.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2015/03/10/pro-day-tour-pass-rusher-odighizuwa-steals-show-ucla-stellar-workout

Dallas does appear to looking at free agency for a linebacker. They and the Atlanta Falcons seem to be the final two teams trying to woo Miami's Derrick Morgan with a nice contract. Morgan would be a steep upgrade from Justin Durant and Bruce Carter who Dallas just lost to other free agent deals to Atlanta and Tampa.

Alright, this is me being stubborn but until he actually signs the deal I won't truly believe DeMarco Murray is leaving Dallas for accursed Eagles. Anyone who has read my posts knows full well I not only hate the Eagles, I loathe them, and for Murray to reach out to Chip Kelly and initiate contract talks is just unthinkable to me. As an Eagle LeSean McCoy would have been paid $9.75 MM. After the trade with Buffalo and the subsequent extension he agreed to McCoy's 2015 salary is $2.625 MM with a pro rated signing bonus of $2.625 MM with a $250K workout bonus. Over the next 5 years McCoy will make $40 MM with $26.5 MM guaranteed.

If, in fact, Murray becomes the dirty rotten traitor he looks like he is he will make $42 MM and his cap hit on Philly is liable to be upwards of $8 MM. Murray is a power back capable of picking up "dirty yards" but he's not dynamic in the way LeSean McCoy is. Philly dumped McCoy and roughly saved $1 MM in the process. This sucks and the fact that Murray was the soul of the Cowboys offense that depended on those "dirty yards" as Jason Garrett has called them to drive the Cowboys offense you have to wonder why Dallas would let the freaking Eagles of all teams outbid them. As I said, I will not believe it until he actually signs the deal but crap, crap, crap, crap CRAP! Oh, BTW, forget about the Ryan Mathews deal falling through in Philly, it's being reported he signed his contract this afternoon. I hate the Philadelphia Eagles.

Alright Stephen Jones, because you are the guy being blamed for not resigning Murray, you'd better come up with some quality free agents to help the defense like Miami free agent LB/DE Derrick Morgan and they better get a corner or a safety or Vince Wolfork as well as signing LB Rolando McClain or I may go all postal! It looks like the best free agent RB out there is Buffalo's C J Spiller. If the guy can stay healthy losing Murray might not be that bad. Forget about Dallas getting Adrian Peterson. Dallas won't trade for AP and his $14 MM +/- salary and I don't believe Minnesota will cut him. The best we can hope for now is a veteran RB and to hit a quality guy in the draft.

Dallas did sign a free agent today but it was fullback. Dallas picked up 4 year NFL vet Jed Collins who has spent time in the Lions and Saints organizations. He signed a one year deal and the money part hasn't been disclosed that I have found. Collins has 44 career receptions in his 4 year career. Big freaking whup. It's likely a look-see deal to determine if he could be a better fit than current FB Tyler Clutts.

I seems that Murray is the first rushing title leader to go to another team the following year via free agency in NFL history. Great. Nice Stat. The last rushing leader not to play for his team the following year was way back in 1947 when a guy you never heard of was traded the year after he was the rushing leader. Damn, I'm in a foul mood right now.

Okay, I'm still disappointed in losing DeMarco Murray but I've had some time to think this through. There are 3 points I want to discuss.

1) Murray gets one chance to get a big contract. He's played out his original deal without complaining about it and everyone who follows football knows it's your second contract in the NFL where you have your one chance for a big score salary wise. This is Murray's. Nobody, neither you or I, would consider missing out on the chance to make $40+ MM with a crapload of it guaranteed. You'd be crazy to take a deal like Dallas offered for 5 to 6 million with about $13 MM guaranteed given a choice. It's not about loyalty to his team. As they say, it's business and Murray has a fiancée and a kid and he wants to make the most money he can before he's considered done career-wise and thrown on the trash heap. If the NFL wanted to enable teams to keep their players there should be a way to pay players you draft more money without cornholing your salary cap. The NBA does it and it you exceed your cap you are levied a luxury tax which some teams have been willing to pay. It sucks losing Murray, especially to the Eagles, but it's just business.

2) Stephen Jones is doing what his daddy hasn't been able to do and that's think with his head and not his heart. The discipline the younger Jones has shown over the last 2 to 3 years is refreshing. It was Stephen and the guys who work for him that convinced Jerry to pass on the "sexy" pick last May and go with the best player on their board. So Johnny Football goes to Cleveland instead of Dallas where he shoots himself in the foot with a wild lifestyle and ends up in rehab while Dallas chose Zack Martin who becomes one of the best guards in the NFL and makes the Pro Bowl AND All Pro in his first season in the NFL. Jerry admitted that if there wasn't a salary cap DeMarco Murray would still be a Cowboy and in the past Jerry would have thrown the bank at Murray. Don't believe me? Just look at debacle contracts over the last decade to Marion Barber, Roy Williams 1 and 2 and Miles Austin just to name 4 but you and I know there have been others. Stephen doesn't need the "sexy" pick, he needs the best players available and the drafts since Jason Garrett took over as head coach shows that Garrett and Stephen are on the same page personnel wise. Garrett wanted Murray back but he understands Dallas has holes to fill that won't get filled if there's no money left to do it. If you look at the Mike Shanahan's and the John Fox's who seemingly pull RBs out of nowhere there is no reason to believe Murray can't be replaced at a much cheaper price.

3) If you were around before NFL free agency then you got to see the star players on your team for the duration of their careers or at least until they were past their primes. That's how fans could associate with their favorite teams, by the star players who they look up to and idolize. It's a new day since free agency came about. It's a good thing for the players because they finally get paid. It's tough for the fans because often times their favorite players change teams and it sucks for owners because the payroll of the team has to be weighed against the desire to keep certain players. The clear losers are the fans because it's the star players that people remember and gives credence to the love of ones favorite team. Those players are a source of pride. Tell me Cowboys fans can't name guys like Staubach, Lilly, Dorsett, Pearson, Aikman, Smith and Irvin. Guys who played all or almost all their careers in Dallas. There were many more than that but you understand what I'm saying. You still have guys like Romo, Witten, Dez and for at least 5 more years the main guys on the O-line. You know Sean Lee but there is so much turnover in teams you literally need a program to know who's on your team. Losing Murray is just the new NFL at work so we can't bitch about it too much and you shouldn't be like some in Dallas who burned Murray's jersey in protest of his leaving for Philly. Murray made it clear he wanted to stay in Dallas. Everyone from the head coach down to the water boys made clear they wanted Murray to stay but as the saying goes you can wish in one hand and poop in the other and odds are the poop hand fills up first. We, as fans, have to trust that the Cowboys player personnel guys will come through with a guy who can replace Murray and maybe even find someone better. Keep in mind, the Broncos have had a trainload of good RBs going all the way back to Clinton Portis and they keep finding guys who are as good or better to replace them. Who would have thought the Broncos 3rd or 4th string RB would be one of the best RBs in 2014 but there was C J Anderson churning out yardage game after game. It can be done folks We just have to trust in Tom Ciskowski, Will McClay and Jason Garrett and the Cowboys staff to find the next workhorse for Garrett's system.

Speaking of trust, Dallas has signed veteran RB Darren McFadden to a two year deal for just over $5 MM with a $200K signing bonus. I know what you're thinking, "That guy sucks and that's when he's not injured!" I hear ya, bro. Fact is McFadden a damn good back who has spent most of his time on the injured list. To give you some perspective the 2008 draft was when he was snagged by the Raiders which was the same draft Dallas selected his backfield mate at Arkansas Felix Jones. It's also the same draft they took Jones instead of Steven Jackson because Dallas was looking for a complimentary back to Marion Barber. Seems like forever ago, right? Well, because of the injuries McFadden doesn't really have a lot of miles on him and he's the same age as---wait for it---DeMarco Murray. It's also probably true that the injuries have diminished McFadden's abilities but it's also true McFadden hasn't had the quality of O-line he'll enjoy in Dallas. Take this into account, 2014 was the first season McFadden played all 16 games. He wasn't as effective as his apparent incumbent Latavius Murray but Latavius had one great game and was lost with his own ACL tear. Maybe a change in scenery is just what the doctor ordered for McFadden at a 2nd chance in the NFL. Plus Dallas got him cheap so why not take a look? C J Spiller is still available so why not make him an offer?

Dallas made a sort of under the radar move Saturday claiming Corey White off waivers. White was a 5th round draft pick by the Saints in 2012 and he had signed a 4 year deal at the time. White is listed as a cornerback and that is the position he played in 2012 but, in 2014, after injuries to safeties Jarius Byrd and Raphael Bush landed them on IR the Saints moved White to safety. The fact that he played both positions probably lead the Cowboys to look his way and he fills a couple of needs for the Cowboys--as long as he can play well. By putting White on waivers the Saints save $1.5 MM on their salary cap which apparently is something New Orleans has to address still after all the moves they have made this off season. It's no wonder considering Drew Brees, by himself, accounts for about 40% of the Saints salary cap figure.

DeMarco Murray attended the UFC 185 event in Dallas last night and got booed when his face was put up on the jumbo tron.

Barry Church said yesterday that he hopes Dallas can sign embattled DE Greg Hardy. Hardy is a great pass rusher and he would help the Cowboys tremendously. Church said that Hardy would make everyone's job on the back end of the defense better because of his ability to rush the passer, tip balls and generally disrupt the offense. Church continued by saying that he heard that Hardy is great in the locker room, a good guy and he knows that everyone makes mistakes. Right now there is reportedly several teams in the bidding for Hardy but it's not known which teams are in the hunt. As an aside to that, Dallas has a great player support system that I'm sure Hardy could benefit from. It's been reported that Stephen Jones has said that he didn't want to overpay for DeMarco Murray because he didn't want to tie up so much money on the offense when the defense needed help. Well, this would be, IMO, a great use of funds and would justify the loss of Murray. I'm keeping my fingers crossed because domestic abuse isn't good but as they say, everybody deserves a second chance.

One last item about Murray. This is just my opinion but while the Cowboys will miss Murray it's not like Dallas didn't offer him a deal. The Cowboys offer wasn't what Murray wanted and he chose to go with the money. I believe the players understand this. I believe they understand that the NFL is a business and while they will miss their teammate they know that everyone is replaceable. It's sad but true. There are very few players short of a QB who can't be replaced. In the Cowboys instance that would be Romo, Dez and Witten. You notice where these guys are going---nowhere. The reason Dallas franchised Dez is because they want him in Dallas. The Cowboys may be a little leary of givng Dez a long term deal with guaranteed money just in case he messes up leaving Dallas to deal with dead money and no franchise changing WR. The Cowboys could, in fact, franchise Dez until the cows come home. Guaranteeing $13 MM a year on a series of one year deals ain't bad business for guy you kind of don't trust to behave. It's not the best situation for Dez because he knows he is worth a big contract but maybe somewhere down the road he'll realize the Cowboys have taken care of him while protecting themselves. If someone tells me I'm making that kind of money for a year I'm all in, but that's me. I don't think the locker room will implode because Murray is gone. They will miss him for sure but life goes on and Dallas will find someone to carry the rock, if they haven't already in Darren McFadden. I was mad at first but I, as a fan, have to understand the business side of the NFL. See soon DeMarco. Twice a year I hope you get stuffed when you face the Cowboys and I hope your Eagles get stuffed the rest of the time. Nothing personal, it just the business of being a fan of the COWBOYS.