Houston Texans Off Season Thread

eagle eye

The Pro Bowl was the JJ Watt show. He was trying even though a lot of the players were just going through the motions. JJ Watt Defensive Player of the Year for 2014 is more than deserved. It should have been bestowed like a knighthood or something because Watt is the most dynamic player on defense in the NFL since Lawrence Taylor.

As an aside I saw an article today that said that Watt bought a bare bones property just left of where-the-hell-are-we Wisconsin for the sole purpose of training for 2015. You gotta love it and the only things are you hope he doesn't get attacked by a bear or something and that he brings Jadeveon Clowney with him.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There isn't much to talk about concerning the Texans right now. Their biggest off season decision is whether they are going to try to resign QB Ryan Mallet and who won't they be able to keep of the other 8 unrestricted free agents they have to decide upon. Add to this a group of 6 restricted free agents and the Houston front office has some work to do not to mention the NFL Scouting Combine coming this week. The QB situation is interesting because Mallet showed something including some toughness when he played an entire game with a torn pec muscle. Did Tom Savage show enough when given a chance before injury ended his season early? While Case Keenum had some success if you look at his numbers in the games he played he didn't exactly set the world on fire.

In the two games he played he was 2-0 going 45 of 77 for 435 yds with 2 TDs and 3 INTs. He had a completion % of 58.4 and a QBR of 72.2. Are these stats that you trust your franchise to long term? Did Keenum show enough potential to be a franchise QB? Probably not. Here's a link to Texans.com to see what Bill O'Brien's take on Houston's QB situation.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Bill-OBrien-talks-QB-situation/7b3fb069-57ca-4eb1-8d4a-ff8f762498dd

I almost forgot with all this draft and free agents there is a nice article from Texans.com about whether or not football teams use analytics in putting together their rosters. It's my feeling that they almost have to because of the salary cap and free agency (there's that phrase again) teams have to make the biggest bang possible for their bucks. Baseball began the analytics craze and teams like the Oakland A's became a viable product as a result. Guys like Billy Bean of the A's and the Cubs Theo Epstein pioneered analytics and it's as ingrained in baseball as any other process in assembling talent. Football has followed suit but there hasn't been much written about it. However, if you don't think that the Seattle Seahawks didn't use analytics to put together their current team I'd say you are crazy. There's more to luck to hit on as many mid and late round picks, not to mention Russell Wilson, without some use of the Big A. In the link below is an article from Texans.com's Breakfast With The Bulls feature about their take on analytics in the NFL.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Breakfast-Does-football-use-analytics/15bd0123-7a8b-49ac-a397-6a361b944606

It's hard to believe but CB Kareem Jackson has been with the Texans for 5 years. He rookie contract is running out and he is among the 9 players who will be an unrestricted free agent. For his part Jackson wants to stay in Houston saying recently, "...Houston has always had my back." That may be true of the coaching staff and the front office but Jackson has been lambasted in the media. The expectations for the 20th pick in the 1st round of the 2010 draft were certainly high and Jackson definitely suffered his first couple of years in the league. He had gotten better and Houston may want to keep him but cornerback is a high dollar position, or at least it has been. It remains to be seen what happens but it seems like Houston will let Jackson test the free agent market before making a pitch for a new contract. I would like to see the debate over whether you all think Jackson is worth a big contract or not.

As long as I've been on the subject, here's a link to ESPN's list of Texans unrestricted and restricted free agents.

http://espn.go.com/blog/houston-texans/post/_/id/9646/2015-houston-texans-free-agents

Edited by eagle eye

The NFL Scouting Combine begins today and to give you some players that Houston may be keeping a close eye on is Texans.com's John Harris.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/NFL-Combine-Players-to-Watch/f03fa8f3-657c-4626-a34a-a703e8b4ee71

I'm not into mock drafts this early in the pre draft time frame but here's sort of a consensus look at mock drafts that are predicting who Houston will take with the 16th pick in this year's draft.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Mock-Draft-20-Corner-Market/c18b89a6-a34f-4861-9e9d-d09b9340a50f

The Texans are at the combine and the first news report I saw was from Texans.com writer John Harris commenting on how much the combine has grown in the last 20 years. Okay, John but how about something I give a crap about? Seriously, it is amazing to think a mass workout of prospective players has grown so much that there are people wondering when the gig will go primetime and even interviews and weigh ins will be televised. I heard on ESPN's SVP show there is a plan to sell tickets to fans for the combine next year. Right now there are only invited players, coaches and GM from the 32 NFL teams and media. No fans, none allowed. I kind of like that but the NFL sees a way to make a buck, well, there you go.

As for Harris? Here is a link to his "10 Observations from Friday's combine" from Texans.com.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/NFL-Combine-10-observations-from-Friday/934965a9-b76d-4ba5-bce1-fc388c62c87f

With Arian Foster and Alfred Blue Houston 1-2 punch last year and very successfully so I might add the idea of drafting another running back seems a little like wasting a draft pick but with Foster approaching 30 and with is injury history maybe it's not such a far fetched notion after all. Check out the article from Texans.com's Drew Dougharty about this very subject.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/RB-in-Draft-a-possibility-for-Texans/020614cf-24db-4864-ba56-29a0bdd84034

There was a discussion on the noon show on ESPN 97.5 yesterday about Jadeveon Clowney and whether he'll be able to play in the upcoming season. Just what I've been able to gather and observe I would have to say don't count on it. Clowney had microfracture surgery on his knee this past November and it is not a surgery many football players make it back from at all. That said, You can look at Cowboys defensive end Anthony Spencer who had the surgery in September of 2013 after a Week 2 game against the Kansas City Chiefs. When the 2014 off season work began Spencer was still on crutches doing rehab every day. When the season was about to start Dallas placed Spencer on the active roster in hopes he would be able to play sometime during the season. He finally made his 2014 debut against the New Orleans Saints on November 10, 14 months after his surgery. In the last 2 games of the regular season and the playoff games Spencer was finally showing a little of his old self making his presence felt as Dallas blitzkrieged through their December schedule. Spencer's ability to come back should be reason enough for Houston coaches, teammates and fans to hope Clowney can do the same. In the past microfracture surgery was a death sentence for an NFL player but advances in medicine are helping to change that scenario around so players stand a better than even chance to come back. Every case is different of course and there is definitely cause for some worry but just like years ago when a torn ACL or a torn Achilles tendon were career threatening injuries the medical profession is turning negatives around day by day. Let's give Jadeveon 15 months before we pass judgment on him. 15 months from November of 2014 would give him until February of 2016. That means Clowney will get the full benefit of a whole off season workout program and a full training camp to regain the form Houston wanted to see when his name was the first one called in last year's draft. Houston and Clowney will need to exhibit some patience and not try to rush him back. After all patience is a virtue especially when you don't want to waste a No 1 pick. Be content to have him back and better than ever in 2016. If GM Rick Smith takes this plan of action it shouldn't stop him from drafting pass rusher because, let's face it, you can never have too many of those guys. I believe whole heartedly that Houston was a QB away from making the playoffs last season so, nail down that spot, upgrade the talent in other spots and draft well and who knows what will happen. After all the Texans managed pretty well without Clowney last year so IMO they can wait for him to come back in 2016. If he is all the way back that's like adding another draft pick to the roster. It's too bad for Clowney and the Texans for this year but sometimes things work out for the best. For those of you of little faith who have that big rubber stamp with the words BUST on it, please put it away for now, okay? Edited by eagle eye

Texans radio voice Marc Vandermeer talks a bit about the Texans and their challenges in free agency and how who they sign, both from their own team and from around the league, will determine priorities in the April draft.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Breakfast-Free-agency-tops-agenda/fde29fe1-f6a4-448b-bdfb-4868bd35ed47

According to the Bleacher Report Brian Cushing went through surgical procedures on his wrist, knee and ankle after the season. Cushing said that the surgery on his wrist was to repair a broken bone that he actually played through the tail end of the season with. He also said he had procedures on his knee and ankle just to clean them out and take care of some discomfort. Cushing said he will be healthy and ready to go for off season work even though no official time table for his return has been released.

From ESPN's Tania Ganguli reporting that Todd McShay has picked Stanford offensive tackle Andrus Peat as the play in both of his mock drafts so far. With questions surrounding the Texans own free agents like LT Derek Newton, CB Keshawn Martin, LB Brooks Reed and S Kendrick Lewis who have yet to be signed mocks could drastically change in response to whether or not those players sign deals with Houston. By contrast, Mel Kiper, Jr had Houston taking CB Trae Waynes in his first mock and OT Ereck Flowers in his second mock.

Here's an article from CBS Sports Houston columnist Garrett Heinrich and his top 7 teams who need a uniform/logo make over. He actually gives examples of changes to Houston's unis. Agree--disagree? For the most part I agree with all his suggested teams that could benefit from the change.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2015/02/27/top-7-nfl-teams-that-need-a-uniformlogo-makeover/

It looks like the Andre Johnson era of the Houston Texans is over. Earlier this week the Texans approached Johnson and told asked him to take a pay cut and accept the prospect of a reduced role in the Texans offense. Johnson has been one of, if not the, cornerstone in the Texans offense for his twelve seasons in the NFL obviously would not accept either proposition by the Texans. Johnson asked to be traded or released because neither option was something he was willing to accept. The Texans for their part don't want to pay Johnson, who is going to turn 34 years old in July, $20 MM over the next two years. For Johnson's part you can understand his angst at the Texans offer. It is being reported that head coach Bill O'Brien sat down with Johnson last week and told him that he would not be starting this coming season opposite DeAndre Hopkins and that in his diminished role he would likely only catch around 40 balls for the season. This had to be a bitter pill for Johnson to swallow considering what he has meant to Houston over the years. What makes matters worse for the Texans is there isn't a lot of depth behind DeAndre Hopkins. It seems we are going to find out if Hopkins is a true #1 guy or just a talented #2 WR in the NFL. The bridge has been burned by the Texans who have nobody else to blame but themselves for giving Johnson a contract they could live with at the end of the deal. The Texans are not the only team to give a long term deal to a guy in his early 30's knowing the player will likely not see the end of. It's common practice around the NFL but it's hard to take losing a guy like Johnson who has meant so much to his team and his community. Johnson is one of the best as far as his charity work and community service in the Houston area. It's clear that Houston is ready to cut ties with Johnson and it was clear last year that Johnson wants to go to a team that has a chance to go to a Super Bowl. It think the success Houston had last year was a surprise but still I think it's time Andre moved on so he has a chance to win a ring before his career is over. With Houston's QB situation as much in flux as it was last off season it's realistic to believe Houston is unlikely to win a SB in 2015. On Monday Johnson thanked Houston for a great 12 years on his instagram board. The NFL league year begins next Monday when free agency signings can begin. I believe it will be then the Texans release Johnson if they can't make a deal this week for a trade. Considering his high price tag no other NFL will trade with Houston and accept the cap hit his contract will bring. No, teams will wait until he is released and offer him a much more cap friendly deal. Hate to see you go Dre, you've been a source of pride for all Texans fans and we'll miss you. Good luck and I really hope you get your SB ring. Edited by eagle eye

Houston GM has done it again. Taken a strength of the team and cut him. I'm not talking about Andre Johnson now I'm talking about the release of C Chris Meyers. Meyers was scheduled to make a big chunk of money and that's why he was cut. He played well last season and he has been the epitome of reliable. How reliable? How about never missing a game in his seven seasons in Houston. Meyers is 34 and he's probably not worth paying a huge salary at this point but it's hard to say adios to a guy like Meyers. I'll bet he won't be out of work for long.

An article from the Bleacher Report talks about the Texans being Bill O'Brien's team. They cite the recent treatment of Andre Johnson as proof it Coach Bill's team. Out with the old and in with the new. O'Brien is working toward building the team in the image of the only pro systems he's familiar with--the New England Patriots and the Pete Carroll-led Seattle Seahawks. Not bad organizations to copy. I look for Houston to get younger and not hand on to it's veteran players the way they have in the past. Perform or hit the road is sort of the Bill Belichick mantra and it looks like O'Brien has learned his lessons well. Dre was to count about 11 million against the Texans cap and Meyers around 8 and both are gone, or will be if the Texans grant the wish of Andre Johnson and is released. In all the Texans will save about 11 million on their cap by releasing both players. The question is now is O'Brien a good judge of talent. In his first draft in 2014 you have to scratch your head because there was little value from the draft. Now, I'm no blaming O'Brien for Jadeveon Clowney's knee issues but aside from that, for as many picks as Houston had, there isn't much to show for them. O'Brien may be handcuffed by GM Rick Smith who has made some moves I have wondered about but we'll see. It took Jason Garrett 4 full seasons before his retooling of the Cowboys began to pay dividends. Hopefully, O'Brien has Jerry Jones-like patience from Houston owner Bob McNair.

Wow, is there good news around the Texans facility today!

Starting right tackle Derek Newton is locked up for Houston for the next 5 years. Good news especially since they cut C Chris Meyers earlier this week. Meyers was a cap casualty on the face of it but I really believe he was an age casualty. Meyers is 34 and that, more than the big cap hit was more of a factor. There's an adage in the NFL that it's better to cut a veteran player a year too soon than a year too late. I believe Bill O'Brien wants to get younger and he's taking note of how Dallas has built their O-line in recent drafts to what it is now and that's one of the best lines in the NFL. O'Brien is in this for the long haul and I believe he wants this team to get younger. Newton was a 3rd round pick in 2011 and has grown into the job very well and he's young enough to have a lot of years left. His deal is 5 years and $26.5 MM with $10 MM guaranteed.

The Texans weren't done by a long shot as they also agreed on a deal with CB Kareem Jackson on a 4 year $34 MM contract with $20 MM guaranteed. Jackson has been a bit maligned since he was drafted with the 20th pick in the 2010 draft but Jackson has grown into the position and he became a big piece of the Texans defensive puzzle last season.

Marc Sessler of NFL.com is reporting that the Texans are targeting free agent QB Brian Hoyer. It seems that the Browns have moved on from Hoyer but that is not having an effect on the interest for him in Houston. Bill O'Brien remembers Hoyer who was Tom Brady's backup prior to Ryan Mallett coming to the Patriots. Bill O'Brien said at the NFL Scouting Combine that he likes Mallett and he expressed the hope that he would be back in a Texans uniform in 2015. It's being said that either Mallett or Hoyer will be the starting QB for Houston this September. Interesting chat discussion.

You gotta wonder about what is going on in Houston. You could understand why the Texans let C Chris Meyers go. Big contract and soon to be 35. You understand why Andre Johnson was let go. Again, mid thirties and huge contract (re: cap hit). I get it. But, can somebody tell me why Houston has, or will have in about an hour and a half 4 QB's under contract? They have Ryan Fitzpatrick and Tom Savage signed and after 3 o'clock they will have Ryan Mallett and Brian Hoyer under contract with Case Keenum lurking around in the background. I was talking to a PT where I'm rehabbing my shoulder and he pointed out that despite all the guys you have under contract in Houston, the Texans probably still have the 4th best QB in the AFC South. Jacksonville has Blake Bortles, Indy has Andrew Luck and Tennessee will have either Matt Hasselbeck or they could actually draft Marcus Mariota. Now Tennessee's QB situation is more tenuous than Houston's but they have more wiggle room too. Houston will be making their offensive bed with the winner of the Mallett-Hoyer battle in training camp. Mallett has one healthy game under his belt and one game where he played through a torn pec muscle. Hoyer has several starts in the NFL over the past couple of years but he hasn't been what anyone would call consistent. What is concerning is you could say, ok the offense will be okay except for the fact that Houston let Andre Johnson go and Houston doesn't have a quality No 2 to play opposite new No 1 guy DeAndre Hopkins. Nobody in their right mind could say Kareem Martin or DeVier Posey is that guy because up until now they haven't shown enough to make you think they can fill the void left by Johnson. Right now, the loss of Dre is big in terms of the Texans offense efficiency. That may be a hole Houston won't be able to fill unless they hit a draft pick. We'll see how the free agency period goes. It may be Houston has their eyes on a veteran guy like Cecil Shorts III. Jacksonville released Shorts a couple of weeks ago and at 27 is arguably the best WR available. He would really be a nice addition to the Texans assuming he can stay healthy which has been hard for him the last couple of years. That will be my crazy prediction of the day--Houston signs Cecil Shorts this afternoon. With about $11 MM in cap money freed up by releasing Andre and Chris Meyers that is a deal that could really get done.

The Texans made it official today by announcing the release of WR Andre Johnson. What makes this hurt even more is danged if he didn't sign a deal to play for the blasted Indianapolis Colts. The Colts also picked up from 49er RB Frank Gore and on defense the Colts picked up LB Trent Cole formerly with the Eagles and DT Kendall Langford formerly with the Rams. I believe Johnson has at least two more good years left and he will give Andrew Luck a quality target opposite T Y Hilton. Gore gives the Colts a run game at last.

As far a free agents go, color LB Brooks Reed gone. Reed was signed, along with former Cowboys LB Justin Durant by the Atlanta Falcons.

The Texans also made 4 deals official today with the official signing of their own free agents Kareem Jackson and Derek Newton. The Texans had already agreed on a deal for Brian Hoyer and they officially resigned QB Ryan Mallett to a two year $7 MM deal. Otherwise a pretty quiet day in H-town.

The glut at QB is reduced by two over the past 24 hours. First Case Keenum resigned with the St Louis Rams where he was on their practice squad last season until getting the call from Houston and the other move was to trade Ryan Fitzpatrick to the NY Jets for a conditional late round draft pick. Now the Texans QB depth looks a lot more manageable. Brian Hoyer signed his two year deal today and Yesterday the Texans extended the contract of Ryan Mallett to a two year deal worth $7 MM. The Texans also have 2nd year player Tom Savage. It's assumed Mallett will be the starter, assumed by everyone but Hoyer who was told he would compete for the starting job. That's about the only movement by the Texans so far today.

The Texans look like they got better at the safety position as they agreed on a deal with Rahim Moore formerly from the Denver Broncos. Houston got Moore on the cheap too, signing him to a 3 year $12 MM deal. I'm very critical of GM Rick Smith but I think he got a good solid hit with this signing. It's being reported that Houston is in talks to resign S Kedrick Lewis which would give Houston 3 solid safeties in Moore, Lewis and DJ Swearinger. Good job Rick, I don't say that very often.

In my last Texans post I said that Houston was in talks with S Kendrick Lewis. This was after the Texans agreed to terms with free agent S Rahim Moore. Apparently, the talks with Lewis weren't about much because he has signed a deal with the Baltimore Ravens. So, now the Texans are left with Rahim Moore and chatterbox and so-so S D J Swearinger. I've said this before but I get a little tired of Swearinger's mouth when he gives up plays. I would love to see D J talk less and play better but he is what he is.

How can you stay mad with Andre Johnson after he takes out a full page ad in the Houston Chronicle thanking Houston and it's fans for 12 great years. All class here. Bon chance, Andre.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2015/03/ex-texans-great-andre-johnsons-open-letter-to-houston-fans/#31307101=0

Just a rumor mind you but because of his association with Bill O'Brien when he was with the Patriots it's worth hoping that DT Vince Wolfork may be headed to Houston. Nice pickup if it's the right price for an 11 year vet.

Wondering when Houston signs a WR to pair with DeAndre Hopkins? Yeah, me too! There are several guys who would be a good fit in Houston. I believe Houston needs a veteran guy even if it's a stop-gap until a WR taken in the draft can learn how to play in the NFL. It takes a rookie about 3 years to do that. With guys like Cecil Shorts, Greg Jennings, Hakeem Nicks and Dwayne Bowe out there it wouldn't hurt and Houston could still draft a top notch WR in the draft. There are several to choose from that could be around when Houston picks at #16. Maybe Alabama's Amari Cooper won't be there but Louisville's DeVante Parker or West Virginia's Kevin White certainly could be. Ohio State's Devin Smith is an option and Missouri's Dorial Green-Beckham may be the best of the lot but he's got some baggage he brings along with him. That's my take but that's just me. There are a lot of holes in the Texans roster and WR may not be perceived as one of them but Hopkins needs some help, certainly more than is available on the current roster. And to twist an old saying, a strong offense is the best defense, at least in the new millennium NFL.

The Texas have signed WR Cecil Shorts to a two year deal according to the Bleacher Report's Matt Fitzgerald. Terms of the deal have not yet been disclosed.

Another bit of news is that NT Vince Wolfork is in Houston meeting with the Texans. Hopefully, Houston goes back to back with nice signings.

By golly if the Texans didn't do it! They have agree to terms on a two year deal for Vince Wolfork! According to Bleacher Report he has signed a deal worth $9 MM over two years with $5 MM guaranteed. This is a good signing for both the Texans and Wolfork. It's great for the Texans because they didn't have to break the bank for a player of his caliber and it's great for Wilfork because it's like a New England reunion of sorts with Bill O'Brien who is Houston's head coach but was the Patriots OC, Romeo Crennel who is Houston's DC as he was in New England and LB coach Mike Vrabel was a player on defense with Wilfork in NE. Win-win and win! Wilfork isn't the player he was but he's still got fuel left in the tank. Houston didn't break the bank nor did they stupidly sign him to a long term deal. Fans of the Texans should be very happy today with the additions of Cecil Shorts and Vince Wolfork.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Vince-Wilfork-quotes/d572a231-517d-4b62-96fb-c6e8782a7584

A review of the Shorts signing by ESPN's Tania Ganguli.

http://espn.go.com/blog/houston-texans/post/_/id/10456/what-to-know-about-cecil-shorts

Houston made it's moves in Week 1 of free agency. Since then it's been pretty quite on Kirby Drive. Yesterday Texans owner Bob McNair on the eve of the NFL owners meetings gave an interview for the first time in a while. Houston Chronicle writer John McClain gives a recap of the interview where he gives his take on subjects ranging from his own health as he is recovering from cancer, honoring former WR Andre Johnson and where Jadeveon Clowney is in his rehab.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texans/article/Wide-ranging-interview-with-Texans-owner-Bob-6148415.php?t=eafd1705d3d8ff4dd2&cmpid=twitter-premium

Bill O'Brien was at the University of Georgia pro day and the link below from ESPN.com talks about O'Brien's thoughts.

http://espn.go.com/blog/houston-texans/post/_/id/10507/bill-obrien-takes-in-georgias-pro-day-meets-with-chris-conley

Houston is still pretty quiet. They did hire an offensive coordinator, a position that didn't exist in Houston last season because Bill O'Brien handled the offense, and the job was filled in house with the promotion of quarterbacks coach George Godsey to be the OC. Goodsey get the title of OC but it is still Bill O'Brien's show. Godsey got a bump in pay and possibly a nicer office but I'll bet his responsibilities won't change all that much.

It was reported that JJ Watt restructured his contract to free up around $8MM is salary cap money for the Texans but he really didn't restructure it at all. The money was just called something else. Instead of getting paid a $10MM work out bonus they are now calling it a signing bonus. What that means is the $10MM now can be pro rated for the next five years of Watt's contract instead of being paid as a lump sum and counting completely this season. The "restructure" saves Houston $8MM in cap space instead.

At the NFL meetings held this past week Bill O'Brien said he was pleased with Jadeveon Clowney's progress as he is rehabbing from microfracture knee surgery. He said Clowney has a strong work ethic and he was equally as complimentary of Houston's second round pick from last year Xavier Su'a-filo for his dedication as he works through his own rehab. When asked about nose tackle Louis Nix III O'Brien flatly said he hasn't seen him at the Texans facility and he didn't appear happy when he said it. When asked what Nix needed to do to show him improvement O'Brien stated flatly, "I would say the ability to make it through a practice. That would be the biggest thing I need to see." It's pretty clear Nix needs to learn how to be a pro and Houston signed maybe the best guy they could have signed to mentor Nix in Vince Wolfork during free agency. O'Brien expressed the hope Nix would take advantage of having someone of Wolfork's stature to learn from.

Houston was awarded 3 compensatory draft picks during the NFL owners meetings. Houston will get a 5th round pick and two 6th's.

Here's an article from the Bleacher Report by Jeffery Roy on why Clemson LB Stephone Anthony would be a perfect fit in the Texans defense.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2407183-why-stephone-anthony-is-ideal-fit-for-houston-texans-defense

Edited by eagle eye

I think that Texans owner Jim Crane has given the keys to his team to Bill O'Brien and told GM Rick Smith to ask permission from O'Brien before he makes a move. There's pretty solid evidence of that just so far this spring with the release of Hall of Fame WR Andre Johnson, allowing free agent defections by guys Smith would not have. Cases in point. O'Brien has signed as free agents, even his own team's FA's, his kind of guys. Players he's happy with or is familiar with while letting a select group of players leave via free agency. O'Brien guys signed are Vince Wilfork (he knew him from his days as OC in NE), both QB's Brian Hoyer and Ryan Mallett (worked with both as Pats OC), CB Kareem Jackson and ILB Akeem Dent. The Texans also signed Cecil Shorts to replace Andre Johnson. A young talented guy who is a lot cheaper than the aging Dre was. RT Derek Newton was resigned as well. Besides the release of Johnson and his bloated salary cap O'Brien also released C Chris Myers and his big salary cap number. There was no other reason to let Myers go other than the cap number and his age. He was playing at a high level and hadn't missed a game in his career with Houston. Myers was good in the locker room and was a bonafide team leader. That's all on O'Brien being fiscally responsible. After all there's a saying in the NFL, "It's better to let a player go a year too early than a year too late.". O'Brien signed S Rahim Moore rather than keep his own guy Kendrick Lewis. He traded Ryan Mallett to the Jets for a late round draft pick and he traded Case Keenum to St Louis for a late round pick.

You can see O'Brien looks like a better judge of talent than Rick Smith who signed all world safety Ed Reed when age and injury had left him a mere shell of himself. O'Brien chose Wilfork. O'Brien chose to keep LB Dent and let starter Brooks Reed go. This is a team being built in much the same way O'Brien saw it done in New England and Seattle and it's the way he seems determined to do it in Houston. To me, I'm happy because I have thought Rick Smith has made some questionable moves over the years he's been in Houston and it didn't seem like he had a real plan to build the team. I look at what O'Brien has done and it looks like he's got a plan for what he wants Houston to become. More power to him, I hope he's right.

CBS Sports writer Igor Mello is reporting that 4 months after microfracture surgery on his knee Jadveon Clowney is walking around without a limp. That and the reports that Clowney is doing very well rehabbing his knee are all good signs for Houston. Both from the actual state of his health but he is answering all the doubters who questioned Clowney's work ethic coming out of college.

Believe it or not and by now I'm sure you already know this stuff but Houston made a signing! Plus, the signing has made them a better ball club. I'm serious! Not only that but they almost got an old friend to further upgrade the D-line. Notice I said almost..........

First, Houston signed veteran WR Nate Washington. There's a link below about that from Texans.com. I'm excited because the WR crew, viewed as recently as just about a month ago as a position of dire need is now is pretty good shape. Last week Houston signed Cecil Shorts to a deal to work opposite DeAndre Hopkins. This was a much needed move by the Texans because of the void left by the release of the Texans all time great Andre Johnson. The merits or de- Notmerits of that move remain to be seen but what Houston got was younger without sacrificing experience. Not only that but Houston saved a bundle in cap room. Now, to fill a depth issue in steps Washington. He's been around the NFL since being signed by Pittsburgh as an undrafted free agent in 2005. Washington spent 4 years in the Steel City earning two Super Bowl rings along the way. He signed on with Tennessee in 2009 and he became a mainstay in the Titans passing game although 2014 was a down year for him statistically and for the Titans and new head coach Ken Whisenhunt as he began rebuilding the team.

So, in walks Washington in Houston. He's not going to be expected to be anything but a role player and I'm sure at this point in his career he's probably fine with it. Washington will likely play as an outside guy when he's in the game so Cecil Shorts can move into the slot. This group may not scare anyone at first glance but the receiving corp is in better shape heading into the draft than they were a month ago.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/WR-Nate-Washington-signs-with-Texans/e5480910-cac3-4bcd-926a-d92831b8237b

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Football-101-How-Nate-Washington-fits/dbb09e28-e4db-4ce8-b1f1-f39d29492106

It looked for a very short time that former Texans defensive end Antonio Smith may be back in Houston after a one year stint in Oakland. The Raiders released Smith earlier in the week and reports were that Houston wanted him back. Well, today was another example of wanting in one hand and pooping in the other and we all know which hand fills up first. The poop this time was Smith agreeing to terms on the deal with the Denver Broncos. Oh well, can't win 'em all.

Here's the deal, Houston is in the same place of the draft as Dallas was a year ago when the Cowboys took the best player on their board Zack Martin who was the final piece in the Cowboys O-line facelift. Martin helped elevate the Cowboys line into arguably the best in the NFL. It all could have been for naught though because the player Dallas really wanted was LB Ryan Shazier but Pittsburgh took him one pick before Dallas turn came up. With more holes in the defensive dyke than the little Dutch Boy had fingers Dallas still went 'best available' and it paid huge dividends for them. The question for this year is will Houston's powers-that-be do the same? While not having as many holes on defense as Dallas did Houston has holes to fill. O-line, TE, WR, D-line, LB and you could even throw in QB into that equation what would you do? What is your view of what Houston's biggest need is? Could you resist picking out of need and selecting the best available? Is there a player you'd take regardless of anything else. A sure fire blue chip pick, a no-brainer, a can't miss pick who you would say I don't care what I NEED, I want this guy no matter what?

What do you think is Houston's biggest need and who would you like to draft if he was available to fill that need? I'll tell you who Houston Chronicle long time Texans beat writer John McClain would choose and that Missouri DE Shane Ray who would play outside LB for Houston's 3-4 defense. In McClain's view Houston needs an outside guy to replace Brooks Reed especially with the uncertainty of the availability of Jadeveon Clowney. In McClain's view Ray would be that impact edge rusher opposite JJ Watt. Do you agree, or not?

The Texans resigned OL reserve guard Cody White. White spent the entire 2014 season on IR after tearing his Achilles tendon in the very first training camp practice last summer. White was signed as an undrafted free agent in 2012 and ended up on the practice squad in both 2012 and 2013. He does offer an opportunity for some much needed depth at the O-line.

• 2 weeks later...

The NFL released the 2015 regular season schedule on Tuesday and the Texans have some intriguing games. Besides contests with their division which makes up 6 games of the schedule they also face the AFC East and NFC South. It looks, on paper, that Houston will have a real shot at winning 10 games minimum based on the 2014 records of those opponents. Now besides those 8 games the schedule rounds out with matchups against Kansas City and Cincinnati. Here's a link to Texans.com for a recap and video links about the upcoming year.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Houston-Texans-2015-schedule-released/5035df79-e1c2-45d2-ba98-ab334acb7134

I have a question you guys. Who's the biggest player in Houston in terms of popularity right now? Is it the Astros Jose Altuve? Is it the Rockets James Hardin or is it the Texans JJ Watt? I think we can all agree if you remove any of these 3 guys from their respective teams that team is going to suffer---a lot. The answer depends a lot on which sport you like best. I have to admit, I've come up with a pretty challenging question (even if I do say so myself)!

The Cowboys have needs that people discuss ad infinitum about but why don't we hear about the Texans needs? They certainly have them. Then, all of a sudden, on Monday there was news that the Texans were shopping DB D J Swearinger. Do what? Then I hear something that sort of calmed me down. What was unusual was the source of the info. Misters Gloom and Doom, A J Hoffman and Fred Faour of 97.5 ESPN actually said something positive for a change. They agreed that the deal talk regarding Swearinger was just that--talk. It's all a part of the pre-draft posturing all NFL team engage in, especially in the final days and hour prior to the draft itself. Houston has a lot of needs, especially on defense but the offense could use an O-lineman or two and a crackerjack wide receiver to replace Andre Johnson and at pick #16 they are positioned to get a good one.

This should be a fun draft to watch just to see what Bill O'Brien wades through the murky waters of the draft. At first glance you would think O'Brien's first draft last year was a bust but much of the top end of the draft was derailed by injury. This fact makes last years draft WAAAAAAY too early to judge. O'Brien has had good teachers in both college and the pros and he's done well as a coach on his own. That alone should garner him some slack. That and a surprising 9-7 almost made the playoffs record last season despite opinions to the contrary should buy him some patience points from us fans. It's going to be fun 3 days and danged if it ain't almost here.

The Texans didn't take Todd Gurley. Not that they would have but the Rams made him their pick at #10. To me, Houston needed to either go defense or WR with their 16th pick and they went defense. They selected CB Kevin Johnson out of Wake Forest who is a really good add to the Bill O'Brien/Romeo Crennel scheme. In fact the Texans GM Rick Smith said after the pick was made that Johnson was their favorite CB in the draft, even ahead of Trae Waynes for his athleticism and versatility. The Texans believe Johnson can handle anything and everything the Texans want him to do. He will come at a great time to learn from a veteran player line Jonathan Joseph and be a real asset in the defensive backfield from day one.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Why-the-Texans-chose-CB-Kevin-Johnson/2ff7e9fb-c066-4627-8e2f-7fbe9511f814

The draft continues tonight at 6:00 PM with rounds 2 and 3. Houston has the 51st pick in the 2nd round (#19) and the 82nd pick in the 3rd round (#18) barring any trading around.

The rest of the division went like this:

#2 pick to Tennessee -- QB Marcus Mariota - Oregon

#3 pick to Jacksonville -- OLB Dante Fowler Jr - Florida

#29 pick to Indianapolis -- WR Phillip Dorsett - Miami