Cardinal Classic

Big T

Baseball opens the season Friday night at 6:00 vs. New Mexico State. There is a game between NMSU and Illinois at 2:00 on Friday afternoon. In the past I have gone to the early game and then stayed for the Lamar game and there have been no ticket or gate people. In other words, go early to the first game and you get in free! There are three games on Saturday. Illinois vs, NMSU at 10:00, Lamar vs. Illinois 2:00, and Lamar Vs. NMSU 6:00. They wrap it up on Sunday with Lamar playing Illinois at 11:00 AM. Hope to see y'all out there! I will be covering the Classic for the University Press.

Baseball opens the season Friday night at 6:00 vs. New Mexico State. There is a game between NMSU and Illinois at 2:00 on Friday afternoon. In the past I have gone to the early game and then stayed for the Lamar game and there have been no ticket or gate people. In other words, go early to the first game and you get in free! There are three games on Saturday. Illinois vs, NMSU at 10:00, Lamar vs. Illinois 2:00, and Lamar Vs. NMSU 6:00. They wrap it up on Sunday with Lamar playing Illinois at 11:00 AM. Hope to see y'all out there! I will be covering the Classic for the University Press.

Cards beat NMSU 7-6 and Coach Gilligan picks up his 1,300 win. GO BIG RED!

True freshman CJ Moore went 3-5 with a double and a three run homer. The Dutchman looked great at SS. Jacoby Middleton is out for the season and Cutter McDowell is taking his place in RF. Kyle Marcum was the only player tonight without a hit. Terrible pitching from Hibbs and Brett Brown but Galen Andrews came in and looked fantastic. Lot of good and bad to take away from this game.

Here's an excerpt from the game notes pertaining to team injuries.

...The Cardinals were hit hard during the preseason with the injury bug.

Starting right fielder Jacoby Middleton went down with an arm injury and is expected to miss the rest of his season.

Newcomer Jake Nash, who was expected to be the starting third baseman, was injured in practice, but expected to return in a few weeks.

Pitcher Brandon Love and Collin Chapman, who were injured during the 2014 season, are progressing on their comeback trail, but likely not to return until the conference season...

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/lama/sports/m-basebl/auto_pdf/2014-15/release/release_20150212aaa.pdf

Nice event this past weekend. I wish I could have gone but I passed the stadium and it looked like we had good crowds. Lamar goes 2-2 and loses to Illinois in the finale. Not bad but we lost twice to Illinois. From all accounts we did well against NMSU. Good start to the season all in all.

It was not a good start lol. The pitching was atrocious at times. The offense was streaky at best. There is a lot to improve upon. They will be good but the pitching may stay a bit ugly until Love and Chapman make their returns. I was really impressed with the new guys. The Dutchmen and McDowell were great and CJ Moore was impressive in his first game. He will have to learn how to hit a breaking ball though.

It was not a good start lol. The pitching was atrocious at times. The offense was streaky at best. There is a lot to improve upon. They will be good but the pitching may stay a bit ugly until Love and Chapman make their returns. I was really impressed with the new guys. The Dutchmen and McDowell were great and CJ Moore was impressive in his first game. He will have to learn how to hit a breaking ball though.

Maybe I should have said it's good to see baseball begin?! LOL! Again, it looked like the times I passed the stadium that we had good crowds and that isn't a bad thing. It's good to see the construction of the new softball field is not going to affect the parking around the baseball stadium too much.