Big Man Anthony Oden transfers to Lamar

sleepy

The odds are getting better by the moment. May be on campus visiting in the coming days and he may not leave. I would peg the percent chance at 80% right now. I was also told that getting this guy will TOTALLY change the spectrum of things. They are REALLY excited at the thought of having this kid!!!!

LINK: Anthony Oden

Fox4 Link: Oden has signed with Lamar

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The odds are getting better by the moment. May be on campus visiting in the coming days and he may not leave. I would peg the percent chance at 80% right now. I was also told that getting this guy will TOTALLY change the spectrum of things. They are REALLY excited at the thought of having this kid!!!!

This is very good news! Thanks for posting.

Guest bigred360

Can you imagine him at one OT position and Campbell at the other? I'd say we may have the best O-line at the FCS level. Gillam at Center and the transfer from Missouri, Davis at one guard and about 10 players battling for the other OG position.

Yeah, I'd stay he would change things.

Guest bigred360

Yeah, that is possible but Campbell would be changing positions from what the BMT Enterprise article mentioned that he was going to play LT in Sundays edition.

Plus, I wouldn't what either big man upset with me if they thought a move could hurt their NFL chances.

However, the left side of the line would be great with that combination. Not just protecting our QB but those two big bodies would move a few people and make lanes for our RB's.

Guest bigred360
I can tell you right now if this team is able to run the ball. We will do more than just compete in this conference.

I completely agree with this comment. If Lamar can run the ball, it will open play action, make us a dual threat especially in the red zone. It will help the defense by keeping them off the field some and run some time off the clock.

I think it will help with special teams with not getting FG attempts blocked, punting should be better because we won't be kicking from deep in our own end of the field.

If you remember last year the punts blocked were on our on end of the field. Special team coaches are more aggressive going after a punt within the other teams end of the field. Plus you can take in down and distance. Lamar should not have as many three and outs and should not be left with many 4th and 10 situations.

I still think this kid needs some help with off the field issues but if we land another FBS transfer with his ability we aren't 8th in the league.

We'd be in the Top 3 in my opinion and it would be amazing if we could win this thing in our second year.

Sorry, I'm just a little excited! LOL

Guest CardAmbassador

No doubt this guy would be a huge help, but I was looking at some of the other teams OL depth charts and now I feel like we need 2 or 3 more just like him. SFA has quite a few 300+ linemen.

After this season we need to get serious about putting some size on our team. We have a few guys that stand out, mostly transfers, but I feel like we are still a bit smaller than other teams. We will likely get some of that size though because if you look at LU's Rivals Recruiting vs. the other SLC schools it looks like we are going after the top end kids pretty hard.

Then again, we didn't update the weights of the players. Maybe it's Woodard and Co. strategy to give the other teams a false sense of security.

Remember the McNeese fan's strategy from last year, they talk the opponents team up to give them a false sense of security. :laugh:

I pulled this up with my ESPN Insider account. I did not write this; it is from ESPN.com. It is from July 21st.

"UPDATE II: Arkansas expected Anthony Oden to compete for a starting offensive tackle position in 2011. That certainly will not be the case after his recent dismissal from the team due to numerous off-the-field violations.

"That's one thing you never like to do as a coach," Arkansas head coach Bobby Petrino said Wednesday during his SEC press conference. "I always believe in second chances, some guys third chances. We just got to a situation where there were no more chances. It's hard on everybody. I tell the players all the time is "One lose, we all lose.'"

A quick glance at the team's depth chart will likely see freshman Brey Cook at right tackle and senior Grant Freeman at left tackle picking up the slack for the departed Oden.

- Brent Sobleski

---

UPDATE: To nobody's surprise, Arkansas Razorbacks lineman Anthony Oden was dismissed from the team following his second DWI arrest in a little more than a year.

Matt Jones of the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reports that Oden was expected to contend for a starting role this fall. Citing a report from the school, Jones reports that Oden "will still receive support from the athletic department," although "the specifics of that support are not known."

- Vince Verhei

---

Matt Jones of the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reports that Arkansas Razorbacks offensive lineman Anthony Oden has been arrested for driving while intoxicated, his second such arrest in a little more than a year.

Oden was also arrested for possession of a controlled substance, among other offenses.

"In addition to the DWI and illegal substance charges" Jones writes, "Oden was also charged with driving left of the center line, failing to yield to an emergency vehicle, no proof of ownership, driving on a suspended/revoked driver's license and no driver's license, according to the Washington County Detention Center website."

Jones reports that Oden was arrested on July 4, 2010, and later suspended for the Razorbacks' season-opener against Tennessee Tech. He is the fourth Arkansas player to be arrested on substance possession charges since last October.

"Oden, who has started one game in his career, is expected to compete for one of Arkansas' starting offensive tackle positions this fall," Jones writes. That seems awfully unlikely now."

If he is still coming, it should be tomorrow.

He'd be a solid pickup for Lamar if he can stay out of trouble. I just figured out the connection between why Oden would consider Lamar, he and Campbell both attended Hargrave Military Academy and they are boyzzz.

Guest bigred360

Dang, then I expect him on campus tomorrow! Thanks for the information as I knew Campbell attended Hargrave Military Academy but didn't know Oden did.

Thanks for passing on the information.