Has anyone ever seen a golf course that looks more like it belongs in Scotland than the US Open venue at Chambers Bay GC in University Place, Washington state? The course is next to Pugit Sound and in case you don't know where University Place is it is near Tacoma Washington. For a week players bitched about how awful the course was but there were 20 something rounds under par which for just about any US Open venue is about normal. Dustin Johnson and Henrik Stenson are tied for the 1st round lead at -5. One of the reasons the players didn't like the course is because it is in the neighborhood of 7,700 yards which is really long especially for a par 70 course but they seem to be managing.

I'm rooting for Phil because I just want the guy to win an Open. It's likely he will join such great players as Sam Snead, Seve Ballasteros, Greg Norman and Nick Faldo who never won an Open but I hope he doesn't. Mickelson has been runner up a record 6 times with the last runner up finish really should have been a win but a collapse on the 18th hole in the final round of the tournament cause Mickelson to go from two shots up to a one stroke loss. Even a double bogey would have meant a playoff but his collapse was so complete he couldn't even manage that. Mickelson shot a -1 69

Jordan Spieth has the lowest scoring average on the PGA tour so far in 2015 and he's only 3 back after a opening round -2 68.

Tiger backed up his career worst round in a golf tournament as a pro of an 85 at the Memorial a couple of weeks ago with an opening round 10 over 80 yesterday. He struggling so much it almost painful to watch him play. That 80 is the worst round he's shot in a major. Right now it doesn't look like Tiger will ever win another tournament much less catch Jack Nicklaus' 18 major victory record.