KABrother's 2015 Positional Preview - Quarterbacks

KABrother88

It's only fitting that the first installment of the positional preview is the Quarterback position. Generally considered the most important position on the field, the 2015 group also has the most question marks of any position group.

Note:

* represents player was a starter at the end of 2014.

** represents player was 2nd team at the end of 2014.

Letter in ( ) represents what eligibility player will/would have had starting the season with "E" being exhausted eligibility.

Who We Lost:

Caleb Berry* (E)

Rex Dausin (Sr)

Robert Mitchell** (So)

Who We Return:

N/A

Who We Added:

Joe Minden (Sr)

Carson Earp (Jr)

Stedman Bell (Fr)

Brett Cox (Fr)

Camreyon Jackson (Fr)

What We Know:

Gone is Caleb Berry, the record holder for every career, single season and single game passing category in school history. With the exit of the only other two QBs on the 2014 roster (Dausin and Mitchell), fresh faces will be abound for 2015. Joe Minden, Carson Earp, Stedman Bell battled it out in the spring for the starting position with Minden appearing to come out ahead. He has the edge on experience and is the only QB to have even been on a D-1 roster. However that experience is rather limited with most of his action coming as a R-Fr while at SFA.

What To Watch For:

Brett Cox, who oozes potential, will arrive in the summer but is already behind the 8-ball with Minden, Earp, and Bell all having gone through spring practices. If Cox can't break fall camp in the top-2 I'd like to see him RS just to maximize the length of time he'd have available for the program. However, if he shows he's one of the two best options, he'll need snaps in garbage time at minimum so he's prepared if needed. Bell having also went through spring practices may allow Cox to indeed RS and learn the offense. Camreyon Jackson will provide additional depth but he is a big RS candidate.

What I Expect:

I would expect to see Joe Minden get the nod against Bacone and won't be surprised if Earp sees quite a bit of action in what is essentially a warm-up game. I don't expect to see the 2012 scenario where Ryan Mossakowski and Caleb Berry split time, but with such a big question mark at such a key position, the staff will need to see as much as possible of both players in live action to make a call going forward. That is unless one player pulls away from the competition in fall camp.

My Week 1 Prediction:

1 - Minden

2 - Earp

Edited by KABrother88

Is Camreyon Jackson a walkon? I haven't heard his name before. I expect Minden to start the season, and if he's a decent passer and the Oline can block then the offense should be ok. With Keuck gone as offensive coordinator I wonder what kind of changes we'll see.

Yes he is a walkon. Played QB at Fort Bend Marshall last season and at Houston Milby before that.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2894946/camreyon-jackson

I agree with you in that if the O-Line can provide adequate protection we'll probably be just fine. The O-Line was short handed in the spring so it was hard for fans to get an accurate assessment of the QBs at the spring game. That being said its still a mystery of what the QBs can do.

Edited by KABrother88

I'm excited at being able to see the new guys compete at QB this season. I'm still a little surprised both backups decided to transfer, especially Dausin who IMO wouldve been the starting QB heading into the season. Is there any insight to why he and Mitchell left the program?

Is Camreyon Jackson a walkon? I haven't heard his name before. I expect Minden to start the season, and if he's a decent passer and the Oline can block then the offense should be ok. With Keuck gone as offensive coordinator I wonder what kind of changes we'll see.

Some of the guys will actually enjoy playing here. :)

I'm excited at being able to see the new guys compete at QB this season. I'm still a little surprised both backups decided to transfer, especially Dausin who IMO wouldve been the starting QB heading into the season. Is there any insight to why he and Mitchell left the program?

I've never heard a definitive reason of why Mitchell left but I find it interesting that he went to Blinn where his brother is. If you recall his brother Garrison was on the verge of signing with Lamar until New Mexico St. came in with a late offer...he RS'ed there then transferred to Blinn. When Robert transferred I said I wished he would have given WR or DB a shot...but with only 1 season of JUCO eligibility remaining he had to go now if that was the path he wanted to take. That being said, Blinn's offensive scheme is pass heavy...Robert is better at the zone read running scheme so he may end up at WR or DB there anyways.

Some of the guys will actually enjoy playing here. :)

I guess we'll see in a hurry if Keuck was as big a liability as a lot of folks on this site thought he was. BTW, KABro, thanks for the time you will spend on these previews and for helping get to know our Cardinal football team.

• 1 month later...
Stedman Bell is still listed on he roster but without a picture or number now. I would assume they would give Cox a fair shake at the job but you'd think he'd be behind the ball. Do find it interesting that at SLC media days it was talked about Minden and Earp being locked in a battle...wonder if Cox is better than they expected?