** Bacone vs Lamar Game Thread **

KABrother88

Kickoff set for Saturday at 7:00 PM against the Bacone Warriors

Lamar Game Notes | Bacone Game Notes | Live Stats | Video | Audio

After recording its best season since re-starting the program, and one of the best seasons in school history, the Cardinals entered preseason camp with a lot of excitement. For the first time since its resurrection, the Cardinals enter the year receiving votes in the preseason top 25 poll. Oddly, that recognition didn't translate into much respect from the voters in the conference preseason polls being picked eighth by the league coaches and sports information directors.

The lack of respect from conference's preseason polls had a lot to do with the fact that LU graduated the school's all-time leading passer, Caleb Berry, and because the team doesn't return a quarterback from last season. The returning players haven't allowed that to serve as a distraction.

"We've had a very productive camp," said Woodard. "We've had a lot of guys bouncing around doing things right on the field. This has been a fun group to coach through camp. All of the guys were excited for the start of game week, and now they are ready for Saturday to get here."

http://lamarcardinals.com/news/2015/9/3/FB_0903155314.aspx

Edited by KABrother88

I seriously hope this is the last year for this kind of home game. I understand trying to schedule a fairly certain win for your opening home game but this game was over after the first Bacone fumble. Do you think Briles and Baylor would agree to 10 minute quarters next week? Edited by geezer

We won. We were supposed to win. The matchup vs Bacone is no different IMO than what we will be vs Baylor. You want a good game but it's not like nobody ever scheduled a laugher to tune up for the season. We bitch about not having a decent football program and now that we are on our way we bitch because the competition isn't up to our standards. Do you think the Baylor, or Oklahoma State or TAMU threads bitched because lowly Lamar was on their schedule? I can't say for sure but I bet they didn't. Also, I don't want to hear all about Lamar being a D-I school so it's not the same thing as Lamar scheduling Bacone. Yes it is. The size and talent level of Baylor and the other big schools we've played were head and shoulders above us. Those games were a nice payday for us and I'm sure Bacone benefitted from the whooping they took tonight. Chalk up the "W" and move on. You want to call it a scrimmage? Fine. This has been going on for decades. A bigger school gets a "practice" game and a smaller school gets a payday for their school. Hopefully nobody got hurt tonight which is what I hope when we travel to Waco. Also, maybe it isn't an easy thing to schedule games period especially for a new program. Oh yeah, we could schedule another big school to beat our kids to a pulp but what benefit is that. The game vs Baylor will do really nothing but demoralize the Cardinals as they participate in a Baylor track meet. Now, don't get me wrong, upsets happen. I remember when Mike Singletary was at Baylor and Lamar beat them. Huge win but unless my memory is faulty Lamar had future NFL assistant coach Larry Keenan leading the team against a Baylor team that wasn't very good despite having Singletary. Bacone could one day beat Lamar just like one day Lamar could beat Baylor but it won't happen any time soon. All I know is Lamar is 1-0 on the 2015 season and I, for one, won't apologize for it and I damn sure won't be pissed about it. It is, as they say, what it is.

I know for a fact A&M boards were not happy about the game last year. I'm completely ok with dropping down 1 level to play a team meaning us playing a D-II school similar to how an FBS plays a 1 level lower FCS...but for and FCS team to drop 3 levels to play and NAIA every season gets kinda embarrassing

Bigger question is why is Baylor playing LU? My only real gripe about the Bacone game is you schedule a game and then go to ten minute quarters for the second half. You think Bacone actually expected to compete anymore than most fans on this board expect LU to compete next week. As for the Baylor game my hope is the same as for the Bacone game, no serious injuries in a non-conference game. Oh and I would like to see how LU matches up with other FCS teams. Edited by geezer

The Baylor game was scheduled 4 years ago before Baylor was at the point they are now. They were still on the rise but no where close to being a top 5 team in the country. I spoke with someone back in the spring who had a little inside knowledge of it and he said that the way the contract was worded, the buyout was actually more than the $400,000 for the game...then Baylor would have to pay someone else to fill the slot. Was told they tried to negotiate but but wanted to give far less than originally agreed upon for the buyout