Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: DALLAS COWBOYS 2015 REGULAR SEASON

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: DALLAS COWBOYS 2015 REGULAR SEASON

Happy New Year! I hope you all have a happy and safe New Year's Eve. I'll wager that by the time a lot of you read this post you will have made it back from a night of revelry and are nursing the inevitable January first hang over. It's ironic that on a day when you feel like crap that the traditional food is black-eyed peas and cabbage. I am not drinking tonight and I am still cringing over the potential gastric distress! I just got home from vacation and I will tell you that Florida, Orlando and Miami anyway, is still there and doing well and it's a darn sight warmer than here!

A lot seems to have happened since I left for Disney World in the Dallas Metroplex. First, the Cowboys lost their 11th game of the season up in Buffalo. Like most of their losses the Cowboys were just a hair short and a step slow. The Cowboys continued their offensive futility despite a pretty decent performance by QB Kellen Moore. The Cowboys have scored no more than one TD in the last 4 four games and they were unable to score even that against the Bills. Two Dan Bailey field goals were all the 'Boys could muster and I guess being named to his first Pro Bowl was enough to jinx Bailey into a miss around the new extra point range. It wouldn't have made a difference. Dallas was 50% on 3rd down conversions and Moore did provide an offensive spark that neither Matt Cassel nor Brandon Weeden could and that bodes well for him going forward. It won't mean squat if he and the Cowboys can't figure out a way to score some TDs.

Dallas lost more than the game last week. Both S Barry Church and DT David Irving both suffered broken bones and ended up on IR by Monday morning. Church broke his forearm and Irving broke his wrist. I feel bad for both players because Dallas needs Church on the field and since he was signed earlier in the season off the Kansas City practice squad Irving has seen his playing time grow each week. Dallas may have stumbled on a diamond in the rough in the rough and I would really liked to have seen him one more time before the end of the season Sunday afternoon. Dez Bryant was placed on IR yesterday with complications from his foot surgery he had after breaking it in Week 1.

Happy New Year!

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

This is it. It's the final game for Dallas in the miserable 2015 season. Hasn't it seemed longer than 17 weeks? It has to me but maybe you don't catch hell every single Monday after yet another Sunday disappointment the way I do. It's all in fun but it was a lot more fun last season when Dallas went 12-4, won a playoff game and was a bad call away from winning another. This season was supposed to be redemption for that "non-catch" in Green Bay last January. But, no. It was punishment for that failure. Tony Romo was the key loss as he only played in 4 games and was only able to finish 2 as he went 3-1 as the starting QB for the Cowboys. As we currently stand the backups to Romo when a measly 1-10. Nobody could have foreseen how bad Brandon Weeden and Matt Cassel would be and the 4th guy to start for Dallas this season, Kellen Moore, didn't have any better success than the other two guys although he did move the football better. Still, he was just as touchdown challenged as his predecessors scoring 0 TD's against Buffalo last week in his first ever start in the NFL.
    What we're hoping (or not, I'll explain later) is that Moore finds that added spark to push his team over the goal line for a TD or two or three. Maybe they can just score one. That seems realistic considering Dallas has scored just 3 TDs in their last 4 games. However, I believe it will take more than one TD to beat the Redskins. They have been on a tear averaging 32.3 points in their last 3 games. The last time the 'Skins were held to under 20 points was in Week 13 against---wait for it----Dallas who won 19-16 on a 54 yard last second winning field goal by Dan Bailey. That was in Washington and today the game will be played in the Death Star in Arlington. (There's my Star Wars reference for the day!) Unfortunately, the Death Star hasn't been all that great of a home field advantage for the Cowboys since it opened in 2009 but the Cowboys didn't have much in the way of talent in the years hence. But, to be fair, last year the Cowboys set a league record by going 8-0 on the road and they were 4-4 at home. Not exactly domination. This is a game Dallas can win if all things fall right but so far in 2015 nothing has fallen right yet.
    We will get to see some young players get some playing time. Guys like QB Kellen Moore, DE Randy Gregory, CB Terrence Mitchell, CB Deji Olatoye, DT Casey Walker, WR Lucky Whitehead and WR Bryce Butler to name just a few. It was commented earlier this week that Dallas will have 17 players in the lineup this week with 2 years or less experience. Talk about witnessing the future! It shouldn't be a cake walk for Dallas because despite the Redskins clinching the division championship last week they say they intend to play to win to keep their momentum going. Now, that could change if Dallas jumps out to an early lead but I don't look for that to happen.
    For whether Dallas should win or not, that is an item open to debate. If Dallas loses they almost guarantee a top 5 pick in the 2016 draft. If they lose they might fall to 8 or 9 in the draft order. Jason Garrett won't let this team quit but they might just be out matched without Romo, Dez and maybe not Sean Lee. Dallas is talented in their starting roster but their backups, particularly on offense, have not been good enough to win. I am going to be happy to see this season pass into the mist of history like some bad dream but this is the last time for 9 months Dallas will play a game that matters so I will suffer through the whole darn thing. What's the final score? Dallas just can't seem to get out of their own way and I don't expect any different today. So.....................

Washington 31 Dallas 9

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

It's time to put this thread to bed. Or maybe take it out in the back yard and give it a decent burial. I can't say I'm sorry to see the pain of this season gone because it just plain sucked. Not the whole season just 14 and a half games of it. When Tony Romo went down in a Week 2 victory over Philadelphia that was the end of the line although at the time we didn't know it. First we thought Brandon Weeden, who spent the last year getting a full practice to himself on the "Romo Wednesdays" when Dallas went 12-4 in 2014. The handwriting on the wall was there however. When Weeden came into a game in progress he seemed to do okay, case in point a Monday night game in October. Tony Romo goes out when he got speared in his back and he left the game. Weeden comes in and leads the Cowboys back to tie the game. Dallas ultimately lost in overtime when Romo came back in and failed to orchestrate the comeback. The next week Weeden started at home against the Arizona Cardinals and he looked like crap. Of course Dallas lost the game for their only 2 game losing streak of the season and the only games Romo did not play start to finish all year. When Romo went out in Week 2 Weeden came in and led the Cowboys to a victory over the Eagles to stake the Cowboys to a 2-0 start to the season. Unfortunately, Weeden's next 3 starts were not good. It all started out good as Dallas jumped out to a 28-17 halftime lead over the Falcons but the offense stalled and defense collapsed allowing the Falcons to score 22 unanswered points while shutting out the Dallas offense for a 39-28 loss. Then Dallas lost a heartbreaking game against New Orleans when Weeded led Dallas back to 20-20 tie late in the game forcing overtime. Dallas lost the coin toss and the defense gave up a 70 yard TD in the first possession of overtime thereby losing the game. The 3rd start was against the Patriots and nobody in their right mind expected the Cowboys to win and they didn't. They were actually blown out 30-6 and the ineptitude of the offense got Weeden benched for the rest of his tenure in Dallas. When Romo came back the Sunday before Thanksgiving Weeden was cut. This wasn't the end of the story for him. He was signed by Houston after starter Brian Hoyer went out with a concussion and Ryan Mallett was released for being a douche. Yates tore his MCL and was lost for the season and he came in for his second look at the Patriots. He got blown out there too but it was the last game Houston lost in the season and Weeden actually led the Texans to a victory over Indianapolis in Indianapolis to break an oh-for-forever steak for Houston in Indy and gave the Texans a one game lead in the division which they never relinquished. Weeden also led Houston over the Titans in Week 15 giving way to Hoyer for the season finale last Sunday in the final game of the season. It's still a conundrum why Weeden was successful in Houston and inept in Dallas. Back to the Cowboys, after Weeden came a 10 game losing streak broken up by a random win in Week 14 game against the Redskins. Matt Cassel never was able to get the Cowboys offense over the hump in his tenure. He was even less able to lead the Cowboys to touchdowns than Weeden was. For the final two games the Cowboys brought in practice squad QB Kellen Moore. He didn't do much in his first NFL start in Buffalo except throw 3 picks. Still no TDs for the Cowboys. In the season finale last week Moore actually got the Cowboys offense in gear as he threw for 435 yards and 3 TDs. He did have have 2 INTs and a fumble that helped Dallas fall into a 24 zip hole which they never recovered. Obviously, either drafting Romo's eventual replacement or signing a decent veteran backup in case Romo goes out again should be on the to-do list this off season. The hurting is over and I am totally washing my hands of this season and this tread. Thanks to the folks to have read my posts. I wish there was more interaction with you all but I really do appreciate you at least giving this thread a look.