HOUSTON TEXANS 2015 REGULAR SEASON

eagle eye

It's official, this week's game vs Indy will be the backup quarterback's duel. Andrew Luck will not be in the lineup this week and he is still rehabbing a bad shoulder and there is still no guarantee Matt Hasselbeck will be playing either so it could end up being Charlie Whitehurst's job this week. Yesterday Bill O'Brien officially announced that Brian Hoyer will miss due to the NFL concussion protocols so the start will fall on TJ Yates. Yates has a pretty good record coming in off the bench making starts for Houston so if it's Yates vs Whitehurst I think Houston has the advantage. If Hasselbeck plays it's advantage Indy but not by all that much.

Houston has had issues with dropped passes according to stats and the last two weeks Houston has definitely had dropped passes that ended drives and help cost them wins in the past two games. Overall Houston has an NFL worst 28 dropped passes out of 328 catchable passes. This is one stat you do not want to lead the pack in. So, in practice this week OC George Godsey is going back to basics and placing a huge emphasis on catching the football. This also includes the QBs throwing the ball more accurately too.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Texans-aim-to-fix-problem-with-dropped-passes/575fb607-79d0-4e5c-9971-83ed778940ca

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite not practicing this week DE JJ Watt (broken hand), LB Brian Cushing (hip) and LB Jadeveon Clowney (hip) will play this week in Indianapolis according to Bill O'Brien. The only other guy on the injured list is Brian Hoyer and he has already been declared out of this week's game because of a concussion suffered against the Pats last week. On the flip side the Colts still don't know if QB Matt Hasselbeck (ribs) will play. It seems like it will be the dreaded game time decision that all fantasy owners love. Of course, if your fantasy team is in the playoffs with Hasselbeck at QB I want to see the rest of your roster! I don't care what the records are. I don't care what the circumstances are going into the game. I just want one stinking thing on Sunday. Beat Indianapolis and end this gawd-awful winless streak in Indianapolis. Since 2002 the Texans have played the Colts in Indy 13 times and 13 times they have returned to Houston losers. Hell, since the AFC South was created the Colts are 23-4 against the Texans! That, my friends, is some serious misery the Texans and their fans have had to endure. It's high time the Texans change all that and there is no time like the present to do it. The Colts are hurting with a whopping 13 players who either didn't participate or were limited in practice this week. The Colts are coming off a thorough thrashing by Jacksonville last week and if Houston is going to beat the hated Colts now would seem to be the time. Houston's defense has been struggling lately especially against the run and that will need to get cleaned up. The O-line has been pretty leaky too and if TJ Yates is going to get anything done the line is going to have to protect better than they have been in the current 2 game losing streak. I hate to call out specific players but LT Duane Brown and RT Derek Newton need to get their heads out of their arses and start playing better. That doesn't mean that Misters Su'a-Filo, Jones and Brooks don't need to tighten it up too. The Patriots double and triple teamed JJ Watt and for all intents and purposes took him out of the game last Sunday night. The defense will have to do a better job of pressuring the opposite side from Watt if Indy tries the same thing. That and they need to do a better job of stopping the run. A problem from early in the season that seemed to get fixed when Houston went on their 4 game winning streak has reared its ugly head again in the last two games. If all these problems can't be worked out and TJ Yates is better than the average bear Houston can and will exercise a lot of demons they have battled against the Colts. 13 times---isn't 13 and unlucky number? Let's hope it's unlucky for the Colts for a change. So, what's the final score?

Houston 23 Indianapolis 18

Normally I don't make a prediction until the Saturday before or on game day but it's Christmas and I've got a lot going on sooooo.....................

• 2 weeks later...

I can not believe it! The Texans actually did it, they beat Indianapolis to take a one game lead in the AFC South and they did it in THEIR house! By doing so they ended the 13 game losing streak in Indie where they had never won as a franchise! They beat Colts 2nd stringer Matt Hasselbeck with their 4th QB to start for the Texans this year, Brandon Weeden. The same Brandon Weeden who could not do squat for Dallas earlier this season. Now it looks like he will lead them against the Titans in Tennessee with a chance to clinch the division with a win against the Titans and a Colts loss to Miami in Miami. It's funny how things work out. Brian Hoyer is listed as questionable because of the concussion he suffered 2 weeks ago. He has been limited in practice. Weeden came in last week when 1st backup TJ Yates went down with what we've come to find out is a torn ACL. This will be Weeden's first start as a Texan. Cowboys fans can tell you Weeden is good coming in cold off the bench but when has a week to prepare as the starter he hasn't been good at all. I think we are all rooting for Weeden to buck that trend as well.

The Texans have a real leg up going into this game. Titans starting QB Marcus Mariota is done for the season with a torn MCL leaving Tennessee with Zack Mettenberger to lead the team. A guy who never could generate more than 6 points in any of his starts this year. Couple that with a Texans defense that has come back to life the past two games. This all seems to be pointing to a Texans win later today. So, what's the final score?

Houston 23. Tennessee 9

So, while I'm on vacation the Texans took the lead in the AFC South beating the Colts behind their 4th QB Brandon Weeden. The former starter/backup QB Ryan Mallett actually won a big game for his new team, the Baltimore Ravens, beating the Steelers who are still trying to secure a playoff spot this week.

I have to tell you, I am nervous about this week's season finale with the Jacksonville Jaguars. Why? Because this week Brandon Weeden was asked if his success is pretty sweet considering his being cut by Dallas after going 0-3 for the Cowboys. His reply was yes, of course, since Jerry Jones will be watching the playoffs sitting on his couch instead of his private box at a stadium. What Weeden failed to realize is that Houston isn't guaranteed a spot in the playoffs. They could, with a Texans loss and a Colts win be watching the playoffs on TV too. BTW, Weeden won't be the QB this week, Brian Hoyer has cleared his concussion protocol and he will start this week.

It looks like Houston will be without Jadeveon Clowney for the season finale because of a foot injury. The good thing here is that earlier in the season Clowney missed a couple of games and Whitney Mercilus came on and did a really nice job playing in one of the most dominant stretches of defense the Texans have played this season. It will be nice to get him back but there is comfort in knowing that there won't be a huge drop off with him out.

JJ Watt has played with what amounts to a club on his broken hand for 2 games now. It has obviously hampered him but he's still creating havoc on opposing offenses. Despite his handicap Watt is second in the NFL in sacks with 14.5 just a 1/2 sack behind league leader Luke Kuechly.

Blake Bortles is becoming what Jacksonville had hope when they made him the 3rd pick in the 2014 draft. The Jags have a nice set of skill players to go along with him too. WRs Alan Hurns and Allen Robinson have proven to be really nice set of receivers. My point is Houston will have to earn the division championship because the Jaguars will not be some bunch of pushovers.

Oh what a difference a year makes. In 2014 Houston battled to a 9-7 record and was left on the outside looking in at the teams who made the playoffs. This week, if Houston beats Jacksonville, that same 9-7 record will not only get them into the playoffs but it will win them the division and earn them a home game in the wild card round of the playoffs. It all comes down to today and the 3 and a half hours it will take to make it all official. Jacksonville comes in with a 5-10 record but I really think they are better than that. They have a franchise caliber QB in Blake Bortles and they have receivers who any team would love to have in Allen Hurns and Allen Robinson. They have quality TE's in Julius Thomas and Marcedes Lewis. They will be without RB sensation TJ Yeldon but they still have Denard Robinson and Toby Gerhart to tote the rock. They have a serviceable defense led by Telvin Smith and Chris Clemons. Nope, no pushover here. If Houston is going to win the AFC South they will have to earn it. The Jags have lost 3 in a row but in Week 14 they did Houston a huge favor by pummeling Indianapolia 51-16. Now the Jags can do Houston another favor by rolling over and playing dead. I wouldn't count on it though. If there is anything that teams out of playoff contention love to do it play spoiler to the teams that are. You can bet Jacksonville will be trying as hard as they can to knock Houston out of the playoffs.

Houston has reignited that spark that made their defense all but unstoppable during the 5 game winning streak that got them back in the playoff hunt after starting out the season 2-5. They sort of slumped once they got to 7-5 for a couple of games but they quickly rebounded and beat Cincinnati on the road in a Monday night game and in their last 7 games they are 5-2. Houston has their starting QB back after being without Brian Hoyer since a Week 14 ass whoopin' by New England. TJ Yates and Brian Weeden filled in nicely but the biggest game since a 2012 win over Cincinnati to make the playoffs Houston will need to play their best to win the game. For what it's worth, I believe they will. JJ Watt got the club off his broken left hand and tried to go with a brace on the hand in Friday's practice. It was just a look-see and there is no guarantee Watt can go without the club but it bode well if, and I stress IF, Houston beats Jacksonville today. Keep and eye on Chris Polk. He has seemed to take control of the RB spot but Jonathan Grimes and Alfred Blue have stepped it up as well giving Houston a nice RB by committee rotation. The receivers are doing so well with DeAndre Hopkins and a suddenly emerging Jalen Strong to go along with the ageless Nate Washington give Houston some nice outside weapons. The return of TE Ryan Griffin a few weeks ago has been a significant upgrade to the TE position as it relates to being a receiver. Houston has a pretty nice team. One that a lot of teams probably don't want to face in the playoffs despite their potential 9-7 record. Their one weak spot is at QB. I hate to say it but there isn't a QB on the roster anyone in their right mind would consider a franchise QB. I hope Houston can put that thought behind them and win today. Hoyer is their guy and he has shown, given time, he can get the job done.

BTW, don't think Houston is without prospects. Remember Tom Savage? Yeah, you forgot about him didn't you. He's the Big Ben clone who hurt his shoulder in the preseason finale against Dallas. You could see a huge improvement from his rookie season in 2014 this past summer. He's being groomed for this job and after another year perhaps he will step in and Houston fans won't be disappointed. Houston is able to go old school in grooming a QB for a few years before he is ready to take over the reins of the team for a decade or so. I have a lot of hope for Mr Savage going forward. But, I digress. This is today and we have a playoff spot to secure.

So, what is the final score? I believe Houston being at home will be the difference and Houston will win by 17 when the final gun sounds.

Houston 27 Jacksonville 10

Damned if Houston didn't get it done. This is pretty sweet. JJ Watt played without a club and ended up with 3 sacks giving him 17.5 on the season. This allowed Watt to leap frog Oakland's Kahlil Mack who ended up with 15 sacks on the season. Mack did not record a sack in the Raiders loss to Kansas City yesterday. In fact Watt and Whitney Mercilus combined for 6 sacks on Blake Bortles yesterday as the Texans defense dominated the Jaguars 30-6 to win the AFC South outright and finish with a 9-7 record.

The run game came to play yesterday with Alfred Blue showing up big time gaining 102 yards on 21 carries for a 4.86 YPC average. And who is this Akeem Hunt dude? Just a rookie who seems to come in and good things seem to happen when he does. This kid is showing signs of possibly stepping for Arian Foster in the near future. Brian Hoyer did an adequate job. He did throw for 249 yards with a TD and a pick but it was on 25 completions on 40 attempts. That's just a 57% completion percentage. Not even close to the NFL average. Hoyer missed some throws that could have gone for first downs or more and he had one play where he could have run for 10-15 yards when he stepped up into the pocket and the defensive backs were playing prevent way off the line. I guess you can chalk it up to a little rust but he's going to have to play better in the wild card game next week against Kansas City.

BTW, Kansas City is undoubtedly the hottest team in the NFL even though they are flying way under the radar. Did you know KC has not lost a game since Week 6 on October 18th to the Vikings? Their current winning streak is now 10 in a row. Since Carolina was beaten last week by Atlanta KC has the current longest winning streak in the NFL. I'll bet you didn't know that and that is because that is how far under the radar the Chiefs have been flying. Do you realize that if Denver had not beaten San Diego last night the Chiefs would have won the AFC West? I'm serious! Look it up! After beginning the season 1-5 the Chiefs totally turned their season around to get where they are now. Actually, it mirrors the turnaround of these Houston Texans. They began the season 2-5 before going on a 5 game winning streak. Obviously, KC doubled that but you can see the parallel and both teams have made the playoffs after really terrible starts to their seasons. The Texans and Chiefs played each other in the first game of the season and it was a Chiefs victory, their only win in the first six weeks of the season. It was a tight game with the Chiefs winning by a mere 7 points, 27-20.

This game on Saturday will be you classic defensive struggle because both teams have superior defenses. The advantage in the game for Houston will be their home field advantage. Admittedly, it didn't help them in September but this the playoffs baby. The advantage the Chiefs have is KC has a better QB. I'm sorry to have to tell you this but Alex Smith is pretty darn good and he doesn't turn the ball over. He has some receivers now too with Jeremy Maclin emerging as the star Andy Reid hoped he'd be when he signed him as a free agent this year. Reid knew Maclin from their days together in Philly and it's taken most of the season but Maclin and Smith have become a potent duo.

It's nice to be back in the playoffs and it's nice to win the division for the first time since back to back first place finishes in the AFC South in 2011 and 2012.

Houston and Kansas City are both preparing for the wild card round of the playoffs set to begin this Saturday afternoon. They are both preparing on a short week so no advantage there for either team. The big advantage will be that KC is going to have to travel to Houston so they actually get one less day of prep. Now, Houston will not have a real practice, it will be a walk through but not having to travel is the clear advantage. That, and not having to face a loud crowd in NRG Stadium. That may not be as big an advantage as you might think because Kansas City's home field is as loud as it gets in the NFL. My point is that the Chiefs know about noisy stadiums.

JJ Watt is working on another batch of post season hardware. Today Watt was awarded the 2015 Deacon Jones Award given to the NFL sack leader for a given season. Watt ended the season against the Jacksonville Jaguars with 3 sacks giving him 17.5 sacks on the season successfully lapping Oakland's Kahlil Mack who began Sunday as the sack leader with 15 did not record a sack in their season finale. Watt looks like he's on track to win yet another Defensive Player of the Year award. The only challenger to that award seems to be CB Josh Norman although chatter about him cooled off considerably after his run in with the Giants Odell Beckham Jr in a Week 15 game in which trash talk escalated in confrontation. Beckham was the main offender when he targeted Norman spearing him in the jaw with his helmet. Beckham was suspended a game for the incident but most accounts hold Norman equally responsible because he crossed the line in trash talk before the game ever started. It really looks like Watt is a shoe in for DPOTY.

Houston could have made the deal of year for themselves today as they signed former Bengals DE Devon Still to a reserve/futures contract. Still was a 2nd round pick out of Penn State in 2012 but his biggest notoriety came not on the football field but at home. He played two seasons, 2012 and 2013 but his daughter Leah was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer in June of 2014. Still was cut by the Bengals but he was signed to the practice squad by Cincy so he could pay his daughter's doctor bills. The story went viral and players and coaches around the NFL helped out Still with charitable donations mainly from sales of Still's jersey which the Bengals allowed to happen as a help to the Still family. In March of '15 Leah had surgery to remove the cancerous tumor and by July of '15 Devon and Leah Still received the Jimmy V Award for their perseverance in deal with Leah's cancer. In November Leah was declared in total remission from her cancer and was also declared cancer free. In the past two years as the Stills family dealt with Devon's NFL career was completely on hold. Now that his daughter is well he can dedicate himself to football and resume his career. The talent that made him a 2nd round pick will be a nice addition to the defense if he makes a successful return to form.

As LT Duane Brown left the field last Sunday on a cart you could see he knew his season was over. As it turns out he tore a tendon in his quad which meant that, in fact, his season is really over. Brown had successful surgery to repair the tear today and he should be back for the 2016 season. The Texans will turn to 7 year vet Chris Clark to step in for Brown going into the game Saturday. Clark has already played when Brown went out in Weeks 2 and 3 and he stepped in at right tackle in Weeks when Derek Newton was injured. Clark was acquired just before the season in a trade with Denver and he has been the swing tackle for Houston this season.

I know the regular season is over but I wish I had titled this thread 2015 Season, instead of Regular Season. Oh well, live and learn.

I mentioned prior to the game last week that Whitney Mercilus has been playing really well. I knew he had really come on lately but I didn't know just how much he had "come on". Yesterday Mercilus was named the AFC Defensive Player of the Month of December. Not bad, Whit!

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Mercilus-Named-AFC-Defensive-Player-of-the-Month/49f27be9-908b-454a-9b24-24c0d6326e97

It's nice to be so talent rich and Houston just added a piece that's been missing for a couple of weeks with a foot injury. Jadeveon Clowney was back at practice yesterday but was limited. Bill O'Brien said that he would classify Clowney as day-to-day for now and there is no guarantee he will play against KC this week.

Just a note: Is it really a stretch for the media to say that the Chiefs-Texans game will be a defensive game? Maybe I'm just getting jaded but this was not a hard call since both teams feature above average defenses. But, this is the NFL. Just when you think you have something pegged they throw a monkey in the wrench. This could just as easily be a blowout or a shootout. You just don't know. You hope that it will be a defensive battle because it seems to be the only way Houston will be able to pull out a win. That's what we have been told but I just hope it's a good game with the Texans on top when the final gun goes off. Each and every Sunday it's a different story, a novel of it's own with a different plot and unexpected outcomes. Isn't that why we love football? Despite everything we know aren't we constantly surprised by something? You bet we are. The bottom line is, enjoy the game because it will likely not transpire the way we think going in but it will still be a good game. It will be even better if the Texans are on top of the heap when it's over.

This is what we've all been waiting for, our Texans in the playoffs! Everyone is as healthy as can be expected at this time of the year with exception of Jadeveon Clowney who has been ruled out of the game and LT Duane Brown who lost in last week's game due to a torn tendon in his quad. No excuses. We got home field with every advantage that goes with that and we are on a 3 game win streak. Admittedly, our streak doesn't compare to KC's 11 game streak. Shoot, the Chiefs haven't lost since the middle of October! That just makes me think of what a wise man once said, "the longer the streak the closer you are to losing." Just stands to reason. Neither the Chiefs or the Texans are the same teams who played way back in Week 1. KC won that day 27-20 and I think it's high time to return the favor! So, what's the final score?

Houston 27 Kansas City 24

Enjoy the game and if you're lucky enough to have tickets have a great time and be safe! GO TEXANS!!!!!

If ever a 30-0 shellacking could be better than it seemed it was yesterday's Texans-Chiefs game. Seriously, I have a straight face and everything. You saw it, it was ugly. But, it was only a 13-0 deficit at halftime. The game was within reach and it looked like Houston was about to get back into the game mid way through the 2nd qtr. Alfred Blue made an exciting 49 yard run to the Chiefs 13 and Houston worked that into a 1st and goal at the two yard line. On first down JJ Watt and Vince Wilfork came into the game but instead of lining up with Hoyer at QB they lined Watt up as the QB in the wildcat formation. The Chiefs had to know it couldn't be anything but a run and they were ready easily tackling Watt for a 1 yard loss on the play. On the next play Hoyer threw his 3rd INT of the half ending the scoring threat and for all intents and purposes ending the game. Hoyer was just awful committing 5 turnovers, 4 INTs and a fumble. Bill O'Brien has said he regretted pulling Hoyer in Week 1 when KC beat Houston 27-20 but IMO he did the right thing then and he should have pulled Hoyer mid way through the 3rd qtr when Houston was unable to do anything with their first possession of the 2nd half and the Chiefs extended their lead to 20-0 on the ensuing possession. To his credit, Hoyer didn't want to come out of the game. He wanted a chance to turn things around. Hindsight is always 20-20 and looking back on the game it's easy to say O'Brien should have benched Hoyer for Brandon Weeden. The thing is, there's no guarantee Weeden would've been better. Houston did a nice job of turning their season around from that 2-5 start to ending up 9-7 and winners of the AFC South. The thing is, Kansas City did an even better job of turning their bad, 1-5, start around to a 11-5 record. The difference was KC was in the same division as the 12-4 Broncos but they did earn the top wild card in the AFC. They also broke an 11 game losing streak in the playoffs that goes all the way back to 1994 when they beat---wait for it----the Houston Oilers. Another graphic case of what goes around comes around. The other bad thing to come out of the game was that rookie CB, 1st round pick Kevin Johnson broke his wrist late in the game. Talk about adding insult to injury--sheesh.

It was a good season and Houston did a good job of getting themselves into the playoffs despite the glaring weakness of the team, quarterback. Something will have to be done to upgrade the position for next season. Again, I have to remind everyone that Houston just may have their QB of the future on the team already. Tom Savage was a highly touted prospect going into the 2014 draft and he showed a lot of improvement after only one year on the team as evidenced by his play in the preseason. He should be healthy heading into the OTAs and training camp and we'll see what happens. To be honest, I really think Houston likes Savage and it wouldn't surprise me to see the Texans use their draft picks to improve other positions on the team.

That's it for this thread for me. The season is over and it's time to move on. It's incredible how easy it is to leave 2015 in the rearview mirror and begin looking forward to the 2016 season. Thanks to all who took a look at my rants and I just want to say I appreciate it. My hope is that some of you may feel like tossing in your 2 cents in the future. I know I'm not right ALL the time. LOL.