** LU at SLU Game Thread **

coachacola

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like they are noticing us. The following is a post from Southeastern's forum:

Lions jump back into SLC play on Thursday vs Lamar. Hopefully we'll get most of the wounded back for this week. The upside of having a bunch of injuries early in the season is the chance to build some depth with guys down on the depth chart. We play a lot of guys anyway but the increased reps will hopefully pay dividends as we go through the season. Donovan Isom getting to play two full games this early in his career is huge.

Lamar will bring an explosive offense to town, as evidenced by their performances vs Baylor and Sam Houston. I've liked what they've been doing on offense the past couple of years and we've probably had more issues stopping them than any other SLC program. I think most people forget that Lamar finished 8-4 overall and 5-3 in conference play in 2014. They have a lot back on both sides of the ball and have added some pieces. How they were picked to finish 8th is still mind-boggling to me.

[tweet]648584388800679937[/tweet]

Looks like I can box up my digital antenna. There's no coverage for Houston area this week either via digital antenna or on Comcast, Charter, or UVerse! Here's a link to the full coverage list. (The Southland Conference deal with ASN is really poor!)

http://southland.org/documents/2015/9/28/jpg2pdf_2.pdf

It looks like other big Texas metropolitan areas have no affiliates. Except for possibly DirectTV and Dish, there is nothing listed for Dallas/Ft. Worth, Austin, Houston. Except for satellite, it also looks like digital antenna only coverage for a lot of the other areas including Beaumont (KBTV-2 (Bounce)). The digital channel for Beaumont is 4.2 according to the Bounce website. I didn't find a Time-Warner listing for that channel in the Beaumont listing.

Edited by LUSportsFan

Looks like they are noticing us. The following is a post from Southeastern's forum:

Lions jump back into SLC play on Thursday vs Lamar. Hopefully we'll get most of the wounded back for this week. The upside of having a bunch of injuries early in the season is the chance to build some depth with guys down on the depth chart. We play a lot of guys anyway but the increased reps will hopefully pay dividends as we go through the season. Donovan Isom getting to play two full games this early in his career is huge.

Lamar will bring an explosive offense to town, as evidenced by their performances vs Baylor and Sam Houston. I've liked what they've been doing on offense the past couple of years and we've probably had more issues stopping them than any other SLC program. I think most people forget that Lamar finished 8-4 overall and 5-3 in conference play in 2014. They have a lot back on both sides of the ball and have added some pieces. How they were picked to finish 8th is still mind-boggling to me.

Most definitely.....Make no mistake, people took notice. Coaches and fans took notice at last year's game, not just the Sam Houston win and Baylor game this year. That contest last year with SLU was not a runaway as the score might have indicated to the average person that did not see the game. It's going to be a good one for sure Thursday night. I attended the game on your field last year. What a beautiful stadium over there in Beaumont. Hope your travelers have a great experience in Hammond even though it's a week night game.....

Hey LionsFan, I am coming to Hammond for the game. Where should I eat before the game?

I would eat somewhere in old downtown (about a mile from campus along railroad tracks) and avoid the chain commercial places off the interstates. There are lots of options depending on what you like.

Tope La - Casual upscale with more New Orleans style Louisiana cuisine.

Brady's - Casual American, wide variety on menu from sandwiches to burgers to seafood to steaks. Hammond tradition.

Mariner Inn - Another Hammond tradition with great burgers and sandwiches.

Your Mom's - Hole in the wall with the best burgers in Hammond IMO.

Tommy's on Thomas - Italian comfort food, best pizzas in Hammond. Get there early, it's always packed.

Tacos & Beer - Hipster Cal-Mex food, one of my personal favorites - outstanding food.

La Carretta - Right on the railroad tracks with great outdoor atmosphere. This is the original La Carretta in what has now become a small Louisiana chain.

Kirin Sushi - Best sushi in southeast Louisiana.

Cate Street Seafood Station - Old train depot renovated into seafood restaurant. Lots of options ... great food if you're a seafood person. Right on the railroad tracks.

Roux & Brew - This place is in Ponchatoula about 5 miles away, but the food is great ... thought I'd add it to the list.

If you're staying the night and want a great breakfast place for the morning ... located in old downtown, Yellow Bird is the best breakfast in Hammond.

Edited by royallion05

I would eat somewhere in old downtown (about a mile from campus along railroad tracks) and avoid the chain commercial places off the interstates. There are lots of options depending on what you like.

Tope La - Casual upscale with more New Orleans style Louisiana cuisine.

Brady's - Casual American, wide variety on menu from sandwiches to burgers to seafood to steaks. Hammond tradition.

Mariner Inn - Another Hammond tradition with great burgers and sandwiches.

Your Mom's - Hole in the wall with the best burgers in Hammond IMO.

Tommy's on Thomas - Italian comfort food, best pizzas in Hammond. Get there early, it's always packed.

Tacos & Beer - Hipster Cal-Mex food, one of my personal favorites - outstanding food.

La Carretta - Right on the railroad tracks with great outdoor atmosphere. This is the original La Carretta in what has now become a small Louisiana chain.

Kirin Sushi - Best sushi in southeast Louisiana.

Cate Street Seafood Station - Old train depot renovated into seafood restaurant. Lots of options ... great food if you're a seafood person. Right on the railroad tracks.

Roux & Brew - This place is in Ponchatoula about 5 miles away, but the food is great ... thought I'd add it to the list.

If you're staying the night and want a great breakfast place for the morning ... located in old downtown, Yellow Bird is the best breakfast in Hammond.

Yea, what he said......RoyalLion summarized great. All of those with the exception of the Ponchatoula restaurant are all within 3 to 4 block radius downtown and all are good. Just want to add on about Tommy's on Thomas is, along with getting there early, also give yourself about an hour and a half to eat. Hope everyone enjoys their visit!!! Looking forward to a great Thursday game!!

Yea, what he said......RoyalLion summarized great. All of those with the exception of the Ponchatoula restaurant are all within 3 to 4 block radius downtown and all are good. Just want to add on about Tommy's on Thomas is, along with getting there early, also give yourself about an hour and a half to eat. Hope everyone enjoys their visit!!! Looking forward to a great Thursday game!!

Y'all are making me hungry!! If I didn't have conflicts, just thinking about all the food options might get me to make the Houston to Hammond run just to get some dining lagniappe to go with the game. :)

I like this guy royallions05! If I could I'd make the trip just to try the food! Just like lu cards said, good luck to SELA except for Thursday. Thanks for the info from austinred on the game being streamed on the SLC website. It was great to see the game against SAM online since I couldn't make the trip. I'm sure looking forward to this week's game as well!

The Lions enter the rare Thursday night contest with a punishing ground attack and one of the nation's top defenses. SLU ranks third in the conference behind the Cardinals (255 ypg) and Sam Houston State (252 ypg) in rushing offense averaging 250 yards per contest. The Lions also rank among the league's top three in scoring (24.0 ppg), total (383 ypg) and rush defense (75 ypg). The game could come down to which team flexes its muscle first as LU ranks among the league's top two in scoring, total and rush offense.

"Their secondary is very talented," said Woodard. "They will play some zone, and try to disguise what they do, then they will man up on you. Southeastern can play man as good as anyone we are going to see all season. They did that to us last year. We are going to have to do a good job of running the ball, as well as giving our quarterback a little extra time to throw the football."

http://www.lamarcardinals.com/news/2015/9/29/FB_0929152346.aspx

Damn, these all sound awesome. Wish it was on a Saturday then I might could make the trip. Just a little too far to swing it for a weekday...too much to do at work.