Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Instant Reactions - Abilene Christian

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Instant Reactions - Abilene Christian

Kade Kade Kade...I have no words...347 yards rushing to set not only a school record but a SLC record as well...more accolades to start pouring in in the next couple of days.

With the change of OCs this season I was interested in seeing if Coach Langston (the OL coach and a former OL himself) would change the offensive style...think it's safe to say that is a yes. He's letting the big boys do what they love.

Speaking of the OL, they played another fantastic game. 26 drop backs and zero sacks again. Have only allowed 1 all season and that was to Baylor...very impressive. Couple of false starts and an illegal snap early but they settled in nicely.

Pretty conservative with the passing game tonight...both picks Minden threw were a combination of bad reads and worse throws...needs to be cleaned up but continued reps can help that assuming he is starting going forward.

Tackling was better tonight.

Pass rush needs improvement...had some sacks but felt like we could have been a little better...ACU ran a lot of quick passes that makes it difficult to get pressure but their is room for improvement here. (Gotta find something to improve on right?!?!)

Secondary played pretty well...a couple of PIs that might have been ticky tack but your not going to get the benefit of the doubt when you don't get your head around. Had one busted coverage/missed assignment that resulted in a 52 yard score. One long pass at the start of the 4th that got ACU down inside the 5 was against almost the entire 2nd/3rd team D and on a true freshman DB.

I know I sound like a broke record but Rodney Randle continues to impress. Fantastic interception tonight where he basically ran the route for the WR
    Last edited by KABrother88; 10-10-2015 at 10:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: Instant Reactions - Abilene Christian

Thought Lamar did a great job of exploiting ACU's lack of speed on the corners, especially on the short side of the field. The "wildcat" sure seemed to keep ACU off-balance also. The PI penalty in the end zone against us in the 2nd half was a bizarre call, looked like the ACU receiver basically ran over the LU defender. Could have been holding earlier in the route, but not pass interference. Also was mesmerized by some of the spots by the officials! There were a few 1st down rulings when it was obvious the ball did not get that far.
    Also, did not notice any injuries for LU, need to be ready for NWSt next week in their place. Wins in the next 2 games should give us an open door to the playoffs.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Went back and looked at some stats...4 punts for an average of 29 yards. I know coach Morgan asks Carranco to punt directionally but it doesn't work when he doesn't even kick it 30 yards. I think they need to turn him loose and let him kick it deep...if coverage sucks then go back to the directional crap.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Randle Jr's Resume so far:
    Baylor 51yd Int ret Attended their Camp= Coaches said he was too small
    Sam Houston good Defense & KO Ret yds= interested, never offered
    SELA 87yd KO Ret TD!!= ran 4.3 @their camp promised to offer had my family wait in Waffle House for hours for a call, never offered
    Abilene Christian Int tonight Attended their Camp(Hosted with Baylor) claimed they were interested, never offered

Thanks to All of these schools for not offering for whatever reason. The Only Offer he had is the Best Choice of them ALL. THANK YOU LAMAR & COACH WOODARD!!!!!
    Next Victim: NW
    Likes LU1991, bigred360 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Bigcam, Rodney has 2 teammates who are fantastic examples of being overlooked and end up success stories. Reggie Begelton started his career as a walk-on and will leave with nearly every receiving record. Another is Kade Harrington...he had one offer out of HS...us. His only other interest was a preferred walk-on spot at Incarnate Word when they were still D-II...you better believe there are FBS schools kicking themselves now
    Likes bigcam2903 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

O-line played great. D-line played great especially vs the run. Wish they could have gotten a little more pressure but I think we have some playmakers on the d-line. Secondary played a great first half. And Kade, oh my gosh..how fun was he to watch tonight?!! Unbelievable game. Funny BigCam but I don't think coaches were too interested in him either! I hope these other coaches keep underestimating talent and they come our way!! There is one thing that definitely cannot be coached...speed. That was one of our Achilles heels in the past but that is changing!
    The stupid wildcat!!??? R u kidding? Ok, run it every now and then for a change of pace but we tried it WAY too much in the second half! And I agree with ur post on the other thread, I think we started platooning too many players too soon. I know some players could use the work but let's make sure we put them away before we do that again.
    Oh, carranco, I think it has very little to do with directional kicks. I think it's just it is what it is.
    Likes bigcam2903 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Calling ALL young overlooked Talent!!!! Lamar knows Talent when they see it, live out your dreams as a CARDINAL
    Likes bigred360 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

good win Cards! I knew Harrington was having a good game, but damn...347? Kid is fun to watch.

not that he needed to, but Minden musta been under a strict "don't you dare run and get hurt"...dude coulda ran for days, ACU was trying so hard to stop Harrington, they didn't leave anybody on Minden

defense...fricking awesome first half! Dunno what happens to us in 2nd half of games...I'm starting to think we better be up by 20+ at half to win??? We either go to sleep, play prevent or get out coached in the 2nd half. How the hell you give up those long passes when you know they are gonna pass?

goes unnoticed , but Begelton throws some good blocks.

btw..I hate the wildcat...when it stops workin, stop doing it.....I also hate defenses that can't stop it!

GO BIG RED!

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Damn...just looked at the box and saw that the crook Sims had a TD. Hate that! Quitter.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

347 yards....insane!

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I'm proud of the young men that came to Lamar 3 and 4 years ago, when things were not going so good. They have really worked to make Lamar a competitive contender. Kudos to the coaches for finding the wright pieces to the puzzle. It took a while but Lamar is now a legitimate contender. Last night on one of Kades break away runs, #58 a lineman was running stride for stride with Kade for the 1st 20 yards down the field. Are you kidding me, linemen not suppose to run like that, LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Bret has been fantastic since he stepped in to the field and started as a RS Freshman. I think something that gets lost in how good the OL has been is that our interior is made up of a Jr at RG, a So at C, and a JR and So both getting time at LG. Also, our expected starter at LG John Craven hasn't played all season due to a knee injury. Coach Woodard said that if the OL was playing well when Craven was ready to go that they may go ahead and RS him this season and have him come back as a RS Jr next year. We will have to replace both Tackles this offseason but Catteano has played some Tackle in JC so he could potentially slide out and RS Fr Chase Woods played some there in the spring and has good size to potentially handle that if needed. Our backups at LT and RT right now are both true freshman who have only played in the Bacone game but could log some more action in the coming weeks against the HBUs and Nicholls to get a little more prep for potentially taking over in 2016. We have a lot of JRs, SOs and FRs getting a lot of action so this could just be the beginning.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

On a non football note....damn, it smelled bad last night! Especially before game in south parking lot. Exxon was flaring and whatever the old Olin plant is called...wind was blowing just right...I still have a headache. Haven't had a game like that since we brought football back.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I was beinging my nephews to the game so I went up there at 5 to get the extra tickets so I didn't have to wait in line when we got there and I could see the flare from back by the all the way to almost the prisons. When I got there at 5 I didn't smell anything...left and when back to pick up the ol lady and kiddos and by the time we got back the wind must have changed directions cause it was pretty pungent when we got out of the car

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Instant Reactions: You whipped our butts on both sides of the ball. Congratulations on well deserved W.