OT: Move Mid County Madness to LU??

Mike

I'm somewhat newer to the MCM scene as I moved to Nederland in 2011 and attended my first MCM in 2010. Personally I think it is just fine the way it is (easy for me to say that because I have season tickets). I'm not a big fan of neutral site games unless it is moved for travel reasons...with these 2 schools being so close that's not an issue...having a home field advantage is part of what makes football great.

While I no longer live in the area, I know LU stadium holds 16K plus standing room. These are among the questions I would be asking before making any kind of move. How many seats do the PNG and Nederland stadiums hold? What is the cost to use Lamar? How would tickets be allocated to each district? What will the long term effect be? I think you loose something never really being the home team. While I always thought the Red River Shootout between OU and UT was cool, I am beginning to think there are becoming to many neutral site games in College football.

While I no longer live in the area, I know LU stadium holds 16K plus standing room. These are among the questions I would be asking before making any kind of move. How many seats do the PNG and Nederland stadiums hold? What is the cost to use Lamar? How would tickets be allocated to each district? What will the long term effect be? I think you loose something never really being the home team. While I always thought the Red River Shootout between OU and UT was cool, I am beginning to think there are becoming to many neutral site games in College football.

I know Nederland's Bulldog Stadium holds right at 10,000 & and has very limited standing room. I have heard that the new configuration at the PNG Reservation (new home side stands & pressbox) holds 13,000 and also has limited standing room. Both schools have pretty much free parking and school affilliated organizations running the concession stands. At Lamar there is usually a fee for parking and a percentage of the concessions are going to Lamar. Historically at playoff games at Cardinal Stadium (now PUS), Lamar has charged only to offset their expenses (electricity, custodial services, scoreboard operator, marking the field, etc.) but got the parking and consessions - and that was before the stadium was renovated. I am not sure what the incentive is for Lamar to rent out the facility now, other than bringing prospective students to campus ans also providing a service to a portion of the community. Different from high school stadiums, PUS is not owned or funded by the tax payers, but is owned and funded basically by the current Lamar student body. So the athletic department should weigh the negatives (wear & tear of the facilities) against any of the positives.

Personally, I have attended most MCM games in the past 30 years and really don't care for the trip over to the Reservation to hear "Cherokee" played every 2 minutes, but I did enjoy the PNG stands emptying mid-way thru the 4th quarter with Nederland having a double digit lead. That said, it is a great rivalry and I would not change the venue - it is one of the best rivalries in Texas HS football - especially in SE Texas - if it is not broke don't fix it!

Bulldog Stadium holds 11,000 while The Reservation holds 13,000 according to Texasbob.com. Port Neches's stands seem to be about 75% home side though while Nederland is probably closer to 60% home.

I would see an issue with the chair back seats on the home side at Lamar as to who would get those.

Another thing I could potentially see an issue with is if Lamar was struggling with home attendance, would they want 2 high school teams way out drawing them...although if that was the case then Lamar might sacrifice perception for money.

The OU-UT game is kind of different in my opinion because it has historically been there and the Cotton Bowl is almost exactly halfway from both schools. But in general I think too many games are going to a neutral site.