** UCA at LU Game Thread **

coachacola

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One play into the Northwestern State game, it was apparent it wasn't going to be the game the Lamar secondary broke out of its season-long funk.

Cardinals' senior cornerback Seth Ellis was beat for a 39-yard pass play, the start of another porous game for the Lamar secondary, which ranks 10th in the Southland Conference allowing 261.8 passing yards per game.

Demons' quarterback Stephen Rivers completed 15 of 21 passes for 197 yards and two touchdowns against Ellis and the secondary in Rivers' first start of the season.

"I don't think we've played that poorly," Ellis said. "But we definitely haven't done our best this season. We need to do better."

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/lamar/article/Cardinals-working-to-shore-up-pass-defense-6584143.php#photo-8832149

Any chance they would move the game up to Noon or 2pm to try and avoid the rain that is expected Saturaday late evening? I guess ESPN3 might need some consideration.

Since we can't pass worth a damn, rain might be an advantage. Looks like UCA can pass. Top rushing offense vs 2nd best rushing defense, something's gotta give.

Any chance they would move the game up to Noon or 2pm to try and avoid the rain that is expected Saturaday late evening? I guess ESPN3 might need some consideration.

I wondered about that too, but looking at the weather forecast looks like a 100% chance of rain all day long.

Saturday's matchup will not only be a game between two of the Southland's top teams, but fans will also have their eyes on the game within the game. Although known as the Cardinals, LU brings the nation's leading rusher into the game – Kade Harrington (185 ypg). The Cardinals lead the Southland in in rushing averaging better than 270 yards per game, while UCA is second in the league at stopping the run. The Bears are one of only two Southland schools who surrender less than 100 yards per contest (96.8 ypg). LU is second in the league with 18 rushing touchdowns, while Central Arkansas has only allowed seven rushing scores all seasons.

The offense-defensive matchups will be fun to watch throughout the game. LU has the league's second-ranked scoring offense, while the Bears have the SLC's second-best scoring defense. It is a similar situation for total offense. Big Red is sixth in the league in passing, but UCA as struggled against the pass this year allowing just under 270 yards. On the flip side, the Bears also bring one of the league's top offenses to town ranked just behind the Red and White in total offense (415 ypg).

http://www.lamarcardinals.com/news/2015/10/22/FB_1022152922.aspx

[tweet]657612318537199617[/tweet]

Langston said. "If we can get some more plays to him that are designed to be successful, that will help."

Instead of plays that are designed to be unsuccessful ? That's brilliant coaching right there! Get em Chuckie....

Edited by puddin tane

I wondered about that too, but looking at the weather forecast looks like a 100% chance of rain all day long.

Regrettably, the wife and I may miss the game. We've watched games in the rain numerous times, but the "weather guessers" aren't painting a very good picture for safe travel back to Houston. We need the rain. I just wish the timing would be better. :(

It's one o'clock and there is still no rain. Maybe we'll get lucky and the rain will wait until around 11 o'clock tonight. Not likely but we can hope. Lamar needs to bounce back but I just wonder what they can do to shore up the pass defense. About the only way is to get a better pass rush. If we can pressure the QB then maybe the DBs will have a chance to do their job. I think Lamar has to sell out and blitz the crap out of UCA. They will need good gap control to stop the run but Lamar has to do something to stop the weekly dissection of the secondary by opposing QBs. If I can I will be at the game. Go Cards.

Cards made a stop and got the ball back and they drove the ball down the field on the strength of a 49 yd run by Kade to the UCA 12. Begelton hurt on 2nd down, crap call on 3rd and Lamar had to settle for a FG. UCA 15 Lamar 3. Four times now in UCA territory and all we have to show for it is 3 lousy points.