All-SLC Announced

KABrother88

No surprise but Kade took home Conference Player Of The Year and 1st team RB. Other Lamar players recognized:

1st Team

WR - Reggie Begelton (SR)

OL - Cody Elenz (SR)

OL - Bret Treadway (JR)

DL - Larance Hale (JR)

2nd Team

KR - Rodney Randle (FR)

Honorable Mention:

TE - Deandre Jennings (JR)

OL - Justin Brock (SR)

LB - Logan Moss (SR)

DB - Xavier Bethany (JR)

http://southland.org/news/2015/11/24/FB_1124153942.aspx

No surprise but Kade took home Conference Player Of The Year and 1st team RB. Other Lamar players recognized:

1st Team

WR - Reggie Begelton (SR)

OL - Cody Elenz (SR)

OL - Bret Treadway (JR)

DL - Larance Hale (JR)

2nd Team

KR - Rodney Randle (FR)

Honorable Mention:

TE - Deandre Jennings (JR)

OL - Justin Brock (SR)

LB - Logan Moss (SR)

DB - Xavier Bethany (JR)

http://southland.org/news/2015/11/24/FB_1124153942.aspx

not to hate, but how in the world did our tight end get honorable mention? Did he even catch a passin conference play?

I just looked, in conference play Jennings had 3 catches for 38 yds, lol. I guess he's a helluva blocker.

I don't find a stat for blocking, but that has been one of the historical prime responsibilities for a tight end. It wasn't all Kade. Below are the stats that are recorded. I can't figure out where either the 3 receptions or the 38 yds noted above come from. Also, I'm not sure why we're not including all the games. The all conference selection noted Kade's total 2,092 yards which included 48 yards from Bacone.

Looking at the NCAA Division I (FCS) statistics, only 13 tight ends are in the top 200 in number of receptions so I'm not so sure that the number of receptions is an important statistic for the tight end position. The statistic is dominated by wide receivers as expected.

Looking at Jennings, here are the Division I receiving stats by game

Conference play

ACU - 1 for 6 yards

HBU - 1 for 22 yards

UIW - 3 for 24 yards

(5 for 52 yards)

He also had 1 reception against Baylor for 11 yds. (Why exclude stats in the Baylor game?) Including Baylor, that totals 6 receptions and 63 yards in Division I play. To complete the picture, there were 3 receptions against Bacone for 32 yds.

He also had two kick returns in conference play (HBU for 1 yard and McNeese for 12 yards) and one rush for 10 yards against UIW.

I guess we would need to look at film and see about the blocking. In the end, at least 25 % of all voters representing teams other than Lamar thought he did well enough to warrant consideration. Voters could not vote for their own players.

Edited by LUSportsFan

I don't find a stat for blocking, but that has been one of the historical prime responsibilities for a tight end. It wasn't all Kade. Below are the stats that are recorded. I can't figure out where either the 3 receptions or the 38 yds noted above come from. Also, I'm not sure why we're not including all the games. The all conference selection noted Kade's total 2,092 yards which included 48 yards from Bacone.

Looking at the NCAA Division I (FCS) statistics, only 13 tight ends are in the top 200 in number of receptions so I'm not so sure that the number of receptions is an important statistic for the tight end position. The statistic is dominated by wide receivers as expected.

Looking at Jennings, here are the Division I receiving stats by game

Conference play

ACU - 1 for 6 yards

HBU - 1 for 22 yards

UIW - 3 for 24 yards

(5 for 52 yards)

He also had 1 reception against Baylor for 11 yds. (Why exclude stats in the Baylor game?) Including Baylor, that totals 6 receptions and 63 yards in Division I play. To complete the picture, there were 3 receptions against Bacone for 32 yds.

He also had two kick returns in conference play (HBU for 1 yard and McNeese for 12 yards) and one rush for 10 yards against UIW.

I guess we would need to look at film and see about the blocking. In the end, at least 25 % of all voters representing teams other than Lamar thought he did well enough to warrant consideration. Voters could not vote for their own players.

Sorry, I must have looked at UIW wrong. Why exclude Baylor? They aren't in our conference! All conference is based on how you play IN CONFERENCE!

and 6 catches for 63 yards is a good game NOT a first team all conference season unless there are just no other tight ends

Just to set the record straight, we're talking about a player who received Honorable Mention; not 1st Team at the tight end position.

Guess you missed the part where reception statistics are dominated by wide receivers. Even when I was playing high school football, (long before the video game, "Pong"(*), was around), a tight end was more of a blocker than a pass receiver.

I think you are concentrating on incorrect indicators for the position. Just like the overall NCAA stats, the SLC receptions stats were dominated by the Wide Receiver position, as expected. There were a handful of running backs, including Kade Harrington, in the top 50 in receptions and one tight end (who made 1st Team All-Conference), Cole Wick from Incarnate Word. He came in 20th overall with 30 receptions (22nd in conference play). The 2nd team all conference tight end, Zach Hetrick from McNeese, didn't make the top 50 list in either list. In fact, he only had 7 catches for 73 yards overall (6 for 66 yards in conference). That's a little more support that number of receptions is not a lead statistic for a position with a primary purpose of opening holes.

(*) Link to Wikipedia article about "Pong": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pong

Edited by LUSportsFan

Sorry, I must have looked at UIW wrong. Why exclude Baylor? They aren't in our conference! All conference is based on how you play IN CONFERENCE!

You might be correct, but...

1. The only one thing noted in the conference press release is this...

Each coach nominates players from his own team. The teams are selected by a vote of the league's head coaches and sports information directors, who cannot vote for their own players.

2. The conference press release places great emphasis on performance at a national level. If selection were solely on conference play, why even note overall season performance? Excerpts from press release.

Kade Harrington -

Harrington, a finalist of the STATS FCS National Offensive Player of the Year, is the first Cardinal to be named the league's player of the year. This season, the junior from Kingwood, Texas, rushed for a school and conference record 2,092 yards, which leads the FCS by more than 300 yards and broke the conference mark by more than 400 yards. Harrington also finished the year ranked first in the nation in all-purpose yards per game (213.36), rushing touchdowns (21) and rushing yards per game (190.2) while finishing second in scoring (12.5) and third in rush yards per carry (7.86)...

Scott Wallace (McNeese) -

Scott, a senior from Weyanoke, La., is the leader of the McNeese defense that heads into the postseason leading the nation in rushing defense (78.6), and second in scoring defense (11.1) and ninth in total defense (280.8). The three-time conference defensive player of the week has 48 total tackles on the season with two sacks and 5.5 tackles for a loss. Scott set a school records with two fumble recoveries for a touchdown in a season and 142 fumble return yards in a season...

Jared Johnson (SHSU) -

Johnson, a dual-threat quarterback for the Bearkats, leads one of the nation's most prolific offenses into the postseason. The junior from Grand Prairie, Texas, has thrown for 2,176 yards on 162 of 268 passing this season and has thrown a league-high 18 touchdowns paired with a league-low one interception on the season. Johnson leads the league in passing yards per completions (13.43), is second in passing yards, passing efficiency (150.1), passing yards per game (197.8) and points responsible for per game (12.7), third in completions per game (14.73) and fourth in completion percentage (60.4)...He is second the conference with his 237.2 yards of total offense per game...

Donald Jackson (SHSU) -

Jackson, a three-time all-conference selection, is a key part to the Sam Houston offense that is second in the nation in total offense with 544.5 yards per game, fourth in scoring offense (43.8) and ninth in rushing offense (266.8)...
Conference performance was not mentioned in the release.

Jabari Butler (ACU) -

Butler, a freshman from Potomac, Md., led the league with six interceptions on the season. A finalist for the STATS FCS National Freshman of the Year, Butler is second in the Southland with 15 passes defended...

Myke Tavarras (UIW) -

Tavarres, a senior from Lake Oswego, Ore., led the conference with 8.5 sacks and 22.5 tackles for loss, which ranks 15th and third in the nation, respectively. The STATS FCS National Defensive Player of the Year finalist set the UIW record with 110 tackles on the year, which is third-highest in the conference...

Link to conference press release: http://southland.org/news/2015/11/24/FB_1124153942.aspx?path=football

Congratulations to all the Lamar players that made the All-Conference teams and Honorable Mentions....

Surprise, Surprise--- Devonn Brown wasn't mentioned. He was 9th in the nation/FCS in yds per reception @ 19.7 overall and #1 in SLC. He was ranked 1st in SLC 100-yd Stellar games by WR with 3. In Conference Only games he led Lamar WR in: total yards (507) ranked #7 in SLC, TDs (5) ranked 3rd in SLC, yards per game (56.3) ranked #8 in SLC, avg yds per reception (20.3) ranked #1 in SLC, ranked #8 in conference only receivers & #11 in overall season receivers. All this on just 25 receptions! He was also alternating for the 1st 2 Non-Conference games with another receiver every other series.

Even through all the trials and tribulations that Lamar put him through, he persevered and finished strong.....

Edited by lustrong2

Congratulations to all the Lamar players that made the All-Conference teams and Honorable Mentions....

Surprise, Surprise--- Devonn Brown wasn't mentioned. He was 9th in the nation/FCS in yds per reception @ 19.7 overall and #1 in SLC. He was ranked 1st in SLC 100-yd Stellar games by WR with 3. In Conference Only games he led Lamar WR in: total yards (507) ranked #7 in SLC, TDs (5) ranked 3rd in SLC, yards per game (56.3) ranked #8 in SLC, avg yds per reception (20.3) ranked #1 in SLC, ranked #8 in conference only receivers & #11 in overall season receivers. All this on just 25 receptions! He was also alternating for the 1st 2 Non-Conference games with another receiver every other series.

Even through all the trials and tribulations that Lamar put him through, he persevered and finished strong.....

and probably led the team in drops.

I watch all games, I seen 3 drops all season. He drop a bomb pass at Mcnesse, but score the only offensive touchdown against Mcnesse and led all receivers. Never seen a college forum like Lamar represent HATERS & FAVORITISM on D1 football transfers year after year. Good job DB your stats rank high in SLC. Turn it out again on PRO DAY next year. One on one versus a clock on Pro Day, your skills and faith will go to the next level, leaving Bigredinsider media haters and favoritism stuck small minded in Beaumont....

I watch all games, I seen 3 drops all season. He drop a bomb pass at Mcnesse, but score the only offensive touchdown against Mcnesse and led all receivers. Never seen a college forum like Lamar represent HATERS & FAVORITISM on D1 football transfers year after year. Good job DB your stats rank high in SLC. Turn it out again on PRO DAY next year. One on one versus a clock on Pro Day, your skills and faith will go to the next level, leaving Bigredinsider media haters and favoritism stuck small minded in Beaumont....

I don't think posters here are haters or play favorites...its just that all of you're posts on here are complaining about Brown not getting the ball and that turns people sour to your post...just my 2 cents...

You sound like a ridiculous, over protective player's mama.

Just to set the record straight, we're talking about a player who received Honorable Mention; not 1st Team at the tight end position.

Guess you missed the part where reception statistics are dominated by wide receivers. Even when I was playing high school football, (long before the video game, "Pong"(*), was around), a tight end was more of a blocker than a pass receiver.

I think you are concentrating on incorrect indicators for the position. Just like the overall NCAA stats, the SLC receptions stats were dominated by the Wide Receiver position, as expected. There were a handful of running backs, including Kade Harrington, in the top 50 in receptions and one tight end (who made 1st Team All-Conference), Cole Wick from Incarnate Word. He came in 20th overall with 30 receptions (22nd in conference play). The 2nd team all conference tight end, Zach Hetrick from McNeese, didn't make the top 50 list in either list. In fact, he only had 7 catches for 73 yards overall (6 for 66 yards in conference). That's a little more support that number of receptions is not a lead statistic for a position with a primary purpose of opening holes.

(*) Link to Wikipedia article about "Pong": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pong

My bad, yes honorable mention

guess you missed the part where tight ends are a HUGE part of many if not most schools offense.

if you look at FBS you have at least 150 tight ends with 7 or more catches. And I believe the leader has over 60 catches. Have you not heard of rob gronkowski, Antonio gates, Jason witten, jimmy graham and on and on and on. Granted those are professional teams but they definitely aren't just blockers anymore with most teams offense.

But obviously you are correct about the southland not using tight ends. I'm always frustrated with our offense because we never invoke the tight ends as receivers. They can be a HUGE weapon. But, I guess all of the slc teams believe u aren't supposed to throw to the tight ends.

My bad, yes honorable mention

guess you missed the part where tight ends are a HUGE part of many if not most schools offense.

if you look at FBS you have at least 150 tight ends with 7 or more catches. And I believe the leader has over 60 catches. Have you not heard of rob gronkowski, Antonio gates, Jason witten, jimmy graham and on and on and on. Granted those are professional teams but they definitely aren't just blockers anymore with most teams offense.

But obviously you are correct about the southland not using tight ends. I'm always frustrated with our offense because we never invoke the tight ends as receivers. They can be a HUGE weapon. But, I guess all of the slc teams believe u aren't supposed to throw to the tight ends.

I totally agree with that. I would also like to see a little more use as a receiver. It would give the opposing defense a little more to think about. I always thought that the tight end position was under utilized as an offensive threat in way too many cases. I was the same way about use of the full-back almost exclusively as a blocker in a lot formations popular in the "old days". I would have liked to have seen more carries from that position back then. (Talking in general terms since there are exceptions in both positions depending on the offensive scheme and player.)

With the spread offenses starting to dominate college football you are seeing a lot less out of traditional in-line TEs in general. Seeing a lot more H-back where the TE will line up in the backfield so they can use him as an extra blocker and get the RB involved in the passing game or you'll see them split out wide like a WR. The key to using them split out is to have a guy that is big enough and fast enough to create a mismatch with both DBs and LBs. I feel like the in-line TE is soon to go the way of the FB and guys are going to start to be left without a position.