Why no new dc

QB 22

• 5 weeks later...
Is Craig still working for LU?

My understanding is that he retired. Coach Criner finished out the season as Defensive Coordinator. Coach McGallion doesn't show up on the current athletic department staff listing on lamarcardinals.com.

Based on this Port Arthur News article, it looks like retirement was immediate (November 9, 2015). 123

http://www.panews.com/2015/11/09/mcgallion-retires-as-defensive-coordinator-criner-to-take-over-in-interim/

...Take that for what it is worth, though. I tried an "immediate" retirement when I finally retired several years ago, but I ultimately agreed to stay on another three months while the company worked to find a replacement. :)

Edited by LUSportsFan

If I remember correctly he was supposed to stay employed through the end of the year for TRS reasons but he was stepping down from the coaching aspect immediately. Not sure what kind of role, if any, he was put in for that short period of time but my understanding is he has not been a part of the program since he announced his retirement.

• 2 weeks later...

Wouldn't surprise me if that was true.

I'm sure Criner felt slighted that we were going outside to hire a new DC after he took over and if I it is Stroker, he also coached LBs.

Bailey has been here several years and the DL has usually not been a major issue except for down the stretch in 2015. Wonder if he would be leaving on his own or not.

I don't want to disparage the team like I just did. The team played pretty well the first quarter of the season except their pass defense. The Cards were just prone to give up big plays in the passing game way too much. As the year wore on Lamar started tightening up their pass defense but started giving up chunks of yardage on the ground and the season ended with them not really being able to stop anything. The defense was poor and it's just not fair to totally blame the coaches when the players didn't execute very well. The fact is sometimes the scheme just isn't a good fit for the players you have so I'm going with that as my reason. In any case, I do think it's time for a change.

I think a reason this happened was early in the year the secondary helped out enough against the run to make it less obvious there was a issue...once teams caught that and started burning us through the air, we had to adjust and abandon the run support...then when that happened it was a pick your poison.

Looking back at Coach Stroker, he has run a 4-2-5 at both UTEP and SHSU vs the base 3-4 we have run the last 4 years. We ran quite a bit of 4-2-5 last season as well.

The 3-4 scheme can work but you need really good linebackers, especially the weak side guy who rushes the passer. For it all to work right the front 3 have to eat up blockers so the LBs can flow to the ball. I really don't think we had good personnel for the 3-4. The 4-2-5 will require a couple of good linebackers but there will need to be a hybrid sort of guy or two at safety for run support. Hopefully, and based on past success, Coach Stroker can help this defense step up. The offense should be okay but I worry about losing Reggie Begelton. That is a huge hit for the passing game.

I read that guys stuff occasionally and he seems to be well connected at times but he also reads other SLC boards for news to report...the info I got came from a reputable source that said he got it from someone very much in the know...unless he had smoke blown at him to try to make this a surprise hire I would trust him.

Also don't know where the 213-14 score for us against SHSU and MSU in the first two years came from. 2010 was 30-27 against MSU and 38-10 against SHSU. 2011 was 45-17 against MSU and 66-0 against SHSU for a grand total of 179-54. Still not to be bragged about but in 2010, MSU was ranked to start the year when we played them week 1 and SHSU was about to get their run started. 2011 saw us finish the game with a 4th string QB on a broken ankle against MSU and SHSU made a run all the way to the FCS Championship.

Word on the street is both Bailey and Criner are gone.

Part of this is true.

Bailey and Criner were both told that Criner would not be permanently promoted to DC, instead they'd be bringing in a new DC. Neither would be guaranteed a position on a potential new DC's staff so they started looking. Bailey accepted a job closer to his home in Tennessee at Tennessee-Chattanooga and Criner has interviews set up with different programs but isn't officially "gone" as of yet.