Football Attendance

jdcurran235

+1 on weather being a huge factor.

The Central Arkansas game on October 24 probably took the biggest attendance hit because of weather. People were advised to stay home if they didn't have to get out (at least in Houston) because of forecast 10+ inch rains. We heeded the warnings so it was the only home game we missed. The same rains were forecast for the Triangle. I think attendance would have been close or above that of the Abilene Christian game (13,000+) if the weather had cooperated. The Cardinals were coming off of a disappointing loss at Northwestern State, but there is no way there would have been a 7,000+ drop in attendance with decent weather.

The Houston "weather guessers" were calling the systems something similar to a perfect storm the day of that game. There were remnants of a hurricane from Mexico (Hurricane Patricia) combined with a system out in the Gulf combined with another system to the north of the area. All the systems together were predicted to funnel tons of rain into the area. We lucked out in Southeast Texas, but San Marcos, Dallas-Fort Worth, and then points east got hit with some really bad flooding. Even without everything coming together, parts of Houston got over 10" of rain from the storm. I think there was a lot of rain in the Triangle also...just not as much as was forecast.

This CNN report gives a pretty good idea of how weather across the state of Texas was around the time of the Central Arkansas game.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/24/us/texas-oklahoma-arkansas-lousiana-flooding/index.html

This is what made us decide to stay in Houston for that game; particularly after the Houston Memorial Day floods a few months earlier.

http://blog.hmns.org/2015/05/memorial-day-floods-a-natural-phenomenon/

We didn't want to be fighting bad weather on the way back home, and the worst of it was forecast to hit the area around the end of the game.

Starting Saturday afternoon through Monday, Houstonians can expect 3 to 7 inches -- and 8 to 12 inches in some spots -- according to the National Weather Service. The highest chance of severe flooding there from rain falls between 9 p.m. Saturday and 7 a.m. Sunday, while elevated tides may also cause flooding along the coast.

At a Saturday press conference, Mayor Annise Parker said the city is not calling for the cancellation of any events, but "It's a good idea if you don't have to go out, stay home."

-------------------------

We made the remaining home games (in the rain). At the Nicholls game, the "boss" and I got a really good test of our panchos and coats. The McNeese game was not supposed to have any rain, but did. We had fine tuned our rain gear set up, and I brought it just in case knowing how unpredictable weather in the area is. Based on an eyeball comparison of fans in the stands for the Nicholls game vs the McNeese game, I thought we would have had a lot more than the 9,808 official attendance at the McNeese game. McNeese brought a good, energetic crowd and it seemed like there were a lot more Cardinal fans than at the Nicholls game. I was surprised there was only a 2,000+ bump in official attendance comparing the two games.

Edited by LUSportsFan

A disturbing trend:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53[/ATTACH]

We really need to start winning.

----------------------------------

Here's the table with the 2015 season

[TABLE=class: wikitable]

[TR]

[TH]Season[/TH]

[TH]Average[/TH]

[TH]High[/TH]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 3, align: center]Lamar Cardinals[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]2015[21][/TD]

[TD]9,364[/TD]

[TD]13,136[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]2014[21][/TD]

[TD]8,347[/TD]

[TD]10,212[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]2013[21][/TD]

[TD]8,379[/TD]

[TD]10,738[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]2012[21][/TD]

[TD]11,119[/TD]

[TD]15,367[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]2011[21][/TD]

[TD]14,442[/TD]

[TD]15,367[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]2010[21][/TD]

[TD]16,078[/TD]

[TD]17,306[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

You caught me. :) I had updated the Provost Umphrey Stadium Wikipedia table, but missed the table on the Lamar Cardinals football Wikipedia page. Both pages are updated now.

Edited by LUSportsFan