Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: 2016 Dallas Cowboys Offseason

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: 2016 Dallas Cowboys Offseason

Dallas lost to Houston 27-17 but in reality I don't think anyone on either side of the bench cared what the final outcome was their main concern was to show the coaches enough to make the final cut and make the team. QB Jameill Showers played the who game as he tried prove he should be the backup to Dak Prescott. He was good at times and not so good the rest of the time. He didn't get a lot of help from the O-line but there were plays he could've made and he didn't get it done. I think Dallas will hit the cut lists around NFL Saturday afternoon and find a veteran QB to bring in a back up Prescott. If Showers stays with the Cowboys it will as a practice squad player IMO. RB Darius Jackson had a decent night despite the struggle of the line to open up holes. He finished the night with 9 carries for 21 yards and 3 catches for 32 yards and a TD. Jackson was the leading receiver for the Cowboys last night. Jaylon Smith's big brother Rod got some mop up duty in the fourth quarter and he ended up the leading rusher for Dallas last night. He went 7 carries for 42 yards last night as he tries to put some good plays on tape so another team will consider picking him up. I say that because through OTAs and training camp Smith was trying out as a fullback but converted LB Keith Smith is going to make the team as the Cowboys fullback. The fact of the matter is the Cowboys didn't generate a lot of offense in the game last night and big reason for that was Showers. He tried like hell but he didn't make enough plays and that is what will cost him a roster spot on the final 53.
    The defense played well at the line of scrimmage. They got pressure up the middle and David Irving, who had missed time recently to an injury had a decent game. He will make the final 53 but he needed the work after missing the last two games. The Texans found gaining yards on the ground tough and while the Cowboys only recorded on sack by DE Mike McAdoo you could see the Cowboys were applying pressure on Houston's QBs. There is one player who wishes he had a do-over and that's CB Deji Olatoye. Both Tom Savage and Brandon Weeden threw almost exclusively at the defensive right side where Olatoye was playing. The Texans just wore that young man out. In the second half the Texans tried to exploit rookie Anthony Brown who took over for Olatoye but Brown, the Cowboys 6th round pick in this year's draft out of Purdue, was having none of it. He jumped an out route thrown by Brandon Weeden and took it to the house for a pick six. In all the Cowboys forced 2 turnovers, both leading to scores in the game. That should make DC Rod Marinelli at least a little bit happy. The other player I noticed to who made a couple of nice plays was CB Dax Swanson from Sam Houston State. Swanson was good in pass coverage and broke up several passes. He also got to return 2 kickoffs and a punt but he didn't show the same explosiveness he had shown in the previous two games.
    The preseason is over except for the final cuts tomorrow and it is nine days until their 3 o'clock kickoff to the 2016 season against the New York Giants at AT&T Stadium.

The questions about Romo still keep coming. He is scheduled for a 2nd MRI today. It hasn't been discussed why but it could be Romo is still experiencing a lot of pain and maybe doctors want to see if they missed something the first time around. The latest news is that he will need 8-10 weeks to allow the broken vertebrae in his back time to heal. What that means is a max of 8 weeks of the season is what Romo could miss because the first two weeks are in the preseason. He was hurt on the 3rd play of the Seattle game last Saturday so he had this past week as week 1. This coming week leading up to opening weekend will be week two so that leave the 8 weeks I spoke of earlier. The Cowboys bye week is in Week 7 so Romo would conceivably miss only 6 games if he returns after the bye week against Philadelphia on Sunday night October 30th. That would be the story on a featured game on Sunday Night Football and the NFL would probably see the ratings for that game go through the roof if Romo was to come back then. A discussion about what would happen if Dak Prescott goes into that bye week with the Cowboys sitting at 4-2 or 5-1 is an interesting topic for another day.

The Cowboys restructured Sean Lee's contract but it was just a deal to allow Lee to recoup the money he lost when he had to sit out the Cowboys season finale back in January. It's just worded to allow him to get the $2MM he lost when he wasn't able to meet and incentive clause in his contract last year.

The most encouraging news comes from Jaylon Smith. He was placed on the NFI/injured list which will mean he will have to be inactive at least the first 8 games of the season. He is not projected to be able to play this season anyway but the worry has been over whether the nerves in his knee and ankle have begun to start firing. The resounding answer is yes. He is getting better and the video of an interview with Smith he is asked specific question regarding the health of his knee. His answers were, in a nutshell, yes he is getting better and the nerves are beginning to work. That is the news the Cowboys and their fans have been wanting to hear and it is cause for a big sigh of relief in Cowboy-land. The other good thing, maybe even great thing, is that Jaylon Smith gets it. He has shown a great football intelligence and he's grasped Rod Marinelli's scheme like a hand to a glove. He is said to be Sean Lee-esque in his approach to the game in terms of his dedication and drive to do anything to know everything there is to know about his job. Film study and book learning is all he can do right now but he's amazing people with his grasp of the Cowboys defense. The word is this kid has "stud" written all over him and the Cowboys are foaming at the mouth thinking about his return to the playing field. It won't help this year but in 2017 and beyond....................

http://www.dallascowboys.com/video/2...rovement-field

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

The Cowboys have not posted their cuts as yet but it doesn't mean there isn't some news. The Seattle Seahawks Cliff Avril was the guy who put the hit on Tony Romo a week ago that broke a his L1 vertebrae and will cause him to miss up to 8 weeks of the season. The link below is about how Avril reached out to Romo to let him know he wasn't trying to injure him and what Romo's response was.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...n-the-playoffs

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

The Cowboys have posted their cuts and roster moves including moving RB Darren McFadden to the NFI list which means he won't be eligible to come back until Week 8. Here's a link to DallasCowboys.com and the list of players who got the boot today. Some of those guys will only be unemployed just long enough to clear waivers before Dallas signs them to their practice squad. No real surprises but some of you may be surprised that WR Devon Street was cut. Street was a 4th round pick by the Cowboys 3 years ago but he hasn't produced so I was thinking he was going to be cut and he was.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/20...dden-moved-nfi

From the "WTF" file comes news that Dallas will sign Mark Sanchez who was cut today by the Broncos. Sanchez was all but handed the starting job in Denver when he signed with the Broncos in the spring but he sucked so bad the Broncos cut him today. Minutes after the cut was announced the Cowboys were saying they had agreed to terms with Sanchez. NFL.com classified this as a low level signing and they are so right. I pray to the Good Lord that Dak Prescott doesn't get hurt before Tony Romo returns from his injury. Dallas will be a grand stage for Sanchez to just crash and burn if Prescott goes down. Names bandied about included Brandon Weeden but he wasn't cut as expected by the Texans or Aaron Murray the former Georgia QB who was cut by Kansas City. Even Austin Davis was in the mix but he was signed by, wait for it...............the Denver Broncos. It has to be true because nobody could make this crap up.

Here is a link to a Rob Phillips column from DallasCowboys.com breaking down this final 53 man roster. The fact is this probably not the final 53 because now comes the time when teams look to upgrade their rosters by shoring up weak area with some of the quality players who were cut today. There are quality players out there as teams either strapped for cash and needing to get under the salary cap or teams so deep they can't help but cut a good player. Those guys don't stay unemployed long and Dallas still needs a swing tackle they can depend on. But Mr Phillips breaks things down as they currently stand.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/20...tion-breakdown

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

The preseason is over. The final 53 man roster has been set and Dallas filled out most of their practice squad the list of which is linked below. This article from DallasCowboys.com lists the roster moves Dallas made to finalize the final 53 including the release of QB Jameill Showers and the retention of Tony Romo as an active member of that 53 man roster. What the article doesn't tell us is that Dallas still could decide to sign Showers to the practice squad but they haven't just yet. Dallas signed 7 players to their practice squad leaving 3 spots open for an interesting player or two, maybe even Showers. Among the signings are DE Ryan Russell a 2015 draft pick and TE Rico Gathers a 2016 draft pick.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/20...practice-squad

The obvious reason that Tony Romo is on the final 53 is because there is a better than even chance Romo will be back sooner rather than later. If the Cowboys place Romo on the IR/scheduled for return list he would not be able to play before Week 9. Dak Prescott has been the story in the whole NFL this past month because of how well he has performed. That's awesome and he gives Cowboys fans reason to believe there will be life after Romo retires. But, he is still a rookie and he has yet to face an NFL defense that will be doing everything they can to confuse and confound him. Not to mention throwing every look and every blitz in the book. There will be times he definitely looks like a rookie. The long term success of the Cowboys still lies in Tony Romo's hands. Dallas still has 3 QB's on the roster it's just that one of them won't be able to play for a while.

Another move I believe I've mentioned is that Darren McFadden has been placed on the NFI/scheduled to return list so he won't be available until Week 9 and his value as trade bait isn't all that great now. What McFadden is now is an insurance policy against an injury. The top RBs in the lineup are going to be Zeke Elliott and Alfred Morris with Darius Jackson and Lance Dunbar playing roles.

I am getting different messages from sources about DE Randy Gregory. In Bleacher Report there are two different accounts of Gregory's appeal of a 10 game suspension. One report says he won his appeal and will have to serve the original 4 game suspension for substance abuse that was levied on him this past spring. Another report said that appeal has yet to be determined but all that is in force right now is the 4 gamer. I think a corroborating story on NFL.com backing up the second, 10 suspension still up in the air story, is the one to depend on. The 10 game suspension threat came about when it was revealed that Gregory failed yet another drug test after the 4 game suspension was handed down. Before the ink on story of his latest failure was dry Gregory checked himself into a rehab facility where he is still residing. Word is he is doing well and that's a good thing. Not just for the Cowboys sake but primarily for his.

This thread is over because the preseason is over. Roster is set and the practice squad is pretty well set too. It's time to get busy with the real fun, the regular season. It seems like it's been a long time coming. It' here now so it's time to retire this thread. Thanks to those who gave it look and for those who posted. I hope to see you in the regular season.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

That crazy old Jerry Jones. He probably had the line of the year on 105.3 the fan this morning when asked if the Cowboys were seriously considering putting Tony Romo on IR/Scheduled for return so the Cowboys could have an extra roster spot for a position player. Jones replied that when you look at the value of having Romo back early vs the quality of player who essentially would be the 53rd player on the roster was a no-brainer to opt for Romo. Jones said, "We don't have to circumcise a mosquito to know we're better off with Romo on the active roster." I laughed my butt off when I heard that. To think Jones would say something like that on the radio is just hilarious.

Apparently, Darren McFadden wasn't a happy camper to be put on the NFI/Scheduled to return list. It means he can't come back until Week 9 robbing him of half the season. McFadden becomes an insurance policy against an injury or injuries to the RBs on the roster. Right now the pecking order is Zeke, Morris, Dunbar, Jackson, Smith. Smith? What Smith? That would be Rod Smith big brother to rookie LB Jaylon the Cowboys 2nd round pick in this year's draft. Smith came to the Cowboys last season and he got some carries as a RB last year. This year during OTA's, mini camps and training camp Rod was in a battle for the fullback spot with converted LB Keith Smith. According to reports, Keith Smith was better at playing fullback but in the last preseason game Rod Smith played RB, not fullback, and he had some good carries. It's unusual for teams to keep one fullback in this day and age of pass oriented offenses so it's downright weird for the Cowboys to keep two. The fact is, both guys play big roles on all the special teams units and both have a lot of value and could Dallas could easily have both active on game day.

Some good off field news came out today. As you may remember Ezekiel Elliott was facing domestic violence charges made by an ex-girlfriend. At the time Elliott said he had emails and texts proving the girl was trying to set him up as revenge for breaking up with her. After about 4 months of investigation Elliott was cleared of any wrong-doing. Finally got a favorable ruling from either the cops or the NFL. Things could be looking up.

You can't worry about the backup QB. I'm just telling you it's a losing proposition. You are already playing your true backup to start the season so whether the backup to the backup was going to Jameill Showers who has been with the team for 2 years or Mark Sanchez who has been in the NFL for seven seasons but only a couple of days with Dallas. If either plays it means Prescott is hurt and out of the game and if that's the case Cowboys would be up a fecal waterway without a wooden plank for boat propulsion. Long story short, if Dak is decked Dallas is FUBAR until Romo returns regardless of who the next man up is.

So if you've got a little time on your hands here's a link to a Cowboys show called Cowboys Hour with Brad Sham as the host. In this episode we get to know rookie running back Ezekiel Elliott.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/video/2...zekiel-elliott

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I'm not the only one who was moping around yesterday after the Cowboys lost to the NY Giants by one point Sunday afternoon. I had people go out of their way looking for someone to reassure them that the world was not coming to an end because Dak and Zeke didn't have enough magic to win the day. Losing just sucks especially when there are so many haters who gleefully rub your nose in the fecal matter that comes with losing. You can't argue with them but you live for the day when you can talk that smack right back at those folks when the Cowboys lose. I had many more good days in 2014 when Dallas went 12-4 and won a playoff game than I did last year when the home team went 4-12. There was a steady diet of fecal sandwiches last year and the hopes going into this year were much higher and the anticipation of the beginning of the season was pretty high. Probably unreasonably high considering Romo was not in the lineup but we saw enough of Dak Prescott to give us hope in the preseason. Dak was decent and if Cole Beasley makes a play and Dez could hang on to the ball in the end zone it would be a way different story. We are all down off the ledge today but the sting is still there.
    The monkey in the wrench to ruin our hope came from Colin Cowherd yesterday who said Dak made good decisions but he was too enamored with the check down. Cowherd disparaged Prescott for targeting Jason Witten and Cole Beasley way more than Dez Bryant. Colin continued by comparing Dak to Jimmy Garoppolo who led the Patriots over the Cardinals, who are much better than the Giants, on the road because when he threw passes they were down the field. Even guest on Cowherds show pointed out that you can't win games in the NFL with an average of just over 5 yards per pass. Garoppolo, Jameis Winston, David Carr and even fellow rookie Carson Wentz threw the ball down the field. Dink and dunking down the field doesn't win you games. What was the complaint about Brandon Weeden last year. He checked down too much preferring to dink and dunk. What was the end result most of the time? A field goal, which is what Dallas had to settle for 4 times on Sunday. And yet, Dallas lost by one measly point. I think there is one failure of this coaching staff. They don't use Dez like they should. Back in the day Michael Irvin was targeted by Troy Aikman multiple times a game because he was the primary threat on the outside and his bread and butter was the slant. If the WR get inside position on a DB the slant is almost impossible to stop without pass interference being committed. Dez, like Michael Irvin, is a big strong guy with very strong hands. I would wear defenses out with that play until the rolled over to stop it then I'd wear out the guy in single coverage on either Bryce Butler or Terrence Williams down the field or I'd go underneath to Cole Beasley or hit Witten down the seam. When teams have to worry about Dez it opens everything else up for the other guys including Zeke Elliott.

I have one more thing. If the Cowboys have the best offensive line in football why on earth can't they open up more holes for Zeke? I've heard that question but if you watched the game you saw the Giants loading up the box to stop the run as well as dialing up run blitzes. The Giants geared up to stop the run and 5 guys just cannot block 7 or 8 or 9 guys. What you saw from Zeke was a guy who constantly got what Jason Garrett calls 'dirty yards' which is another way of saying he ran tough. There were times that Zeke was stopped with a no gain or just a yard but he finished these runs so they ended up 3 or 4 yard gains. He suffered because the Giants loaded the box to stop Zeke because they weren't afraid of Dak burning them with the pass. It didn't help that Giants DE Olivier Vernon, who couldn't do much against Tyron Smith started burning La'el Collins who got a case of lazy feet and Vernon's quickness gave Collins fits. Jason Pierre-Paul also challenged Doug Free on the right side. The Giants dialed up pressure on Dak when he did drop back to pass and his accuracy suffered greatly as a result. The thing was Prescott could not, or did not, do was make the Giants pay for loading the box the way they did. Dak didn't make any bad mistakes but he didn't burn the Giants the way Romo would have. The line was okay so don't let people tell you otherwise. Dak will learn but it takes time.

Randy Gregory is no longer in rehab and he was moved from the Reserved/Did Not Report list to the Reserve/Suspended list. This means that Gregory can go to the Cowboys new practice facility but he can't practice or play in games for the first 4 weeks of the season because of his drug related suspension by the NFL. There is still no resolution as to whether or not Gregory will get an additional 6 games because he failed to show up for scheduled drug screening earlier this year. There is still a chance that Gregory will not be suspended more games because of circumstances around the missed drug test and the fact that he missed all of training camp because he entered rehab to straighten his life. It's also being reported that if he does get the additional 6 games he will go back to rehab. Given that knowledge, I kind of hope the NFL does increase his suspension to 10 games because it sounds like Gregory needs rehab much more than he needs football right now. I would love to see him get his life together first and foremost and when, and if, he does then he can be a trusted member of the team.

Best line of the day yesterday? When Jason Garrett asked if he intends to do anything about the sunlight coming through the glass in the end zone during late afternoon games Garrett replied, "Yeah, the sun has been burning for 5 billion years and it will be there 5 billion more. The way I look at it is if there are conditions that affect the players it affects the players on both sides of the ball. What needs to happen is accepting the challenge and make plays." Basically, he means that regardless of the conditions you need to fight through them and make things happen in a positive way for your team. I heard a podcast which included former O-lineman Nate Newton and he laughed his behind off at the 5 billion years remark. He also agreed with Garrett's point of fighting through conditions to make plays. Funny way to make a serious point.
    Last edited by eagle eye; 09-13-2016 at 12:24 PM.