Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Houston Texans Off Season

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: 2016 Houston Texans Off Season

There has already been a jersey sale featuring Brock Osweiler's name and number. In fact the very first Brock jersey was printed and sold to his dad who had the jersey made up as soon as it was announced his boy was going to be a Houston Texan. The funny thing was the Texans pro shop would actually give the elder Mr Osweiler the jersey until his boy actually signed his contract.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...3-76f7318b578e

To say there has got to be some trepidation over the signing of Osweiler is an understatement. After all, Brock is a four year veteran with a grand total of 7 career starts in the NFL. He may be 5-2 in those starts but still....... To say that if Osweiler is a bust it could be bad for GM Rick Smith's career in Houston is also an understatement. Paying Osweiler $72MM is a huge gamble and if it doesn't pan out might be the straw that breaks even the uber tolerant Bob McNair's back. After all Smith brought in Ryan Mallett and Brian Hoyer. Mallett was just a pure D bust and Hoyer was a decent QB but his deficiencies showed up in the Texans playoff loss to Kansas City back in January. The price the Texans paid to Osweiler is the kicker here especially when you consider Houston could have a reasonable chance to draft a Paxton Lynch and for sure could have taken Bill O'Brien's recruit at Penn State, Christian Hackenberg or a Dak Prescott from Mississippi State who would have been a lot cheaper to get. I have always had my doubts about Smith's job as GM and this has got to be the gamble of all gambles and Smith's career in Houston could very well be on the line this time.

Lamar Miller's signing is due, in large part, to the game Houston played against Miami last season in which Miller and his Dolphins stomped a mudhole in the Texans in Week 7 in which Miller ran for 175 yards and caught passes for another 61 yards. It could be that Miller will be the ideal replacement for Arian Foster and if he is that is a great thing for the Texans.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...1-10ade4b739bd

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Here is my On The Clock mock 3.0 for this week. Since Houston signed Brock Osweiler and Lamar Miller this past week it sort of changed the priorities the Texans needed to address. They even signed a couple of O-linemen which is something that was a major issue. So, a lot of the mock as the "On The Clock" runs through the draft and you watch players you'd really like to draft come off the board so when a guy ranked #6 in the whole draft fall to you you've got to take him, right? Right. That's what happened in Rd 1 as WR Laquan Treadwell from Ole Miss was available I had no choice but take him. Now, all of a sudden the Texans passing game ramped up about 3 notches. Treadwell won't play like a No 1 this season but he's going to do nothing but get better and since WR Jalen Strong has potential legal issues with a marijuana possession charge you immediately don't need to put up with a load of crap from him. Rd 2 saw, arguably, the top TE in the draft available so I couldn't pass on him. It was a position of need for Houston after releasing Garrett Graham last week and he was the best player on the board at the time. That would be Hunter Henry out of Arkansas. In Rd 3 I hadn't addressed the defense as yet and the highest ranked defensive player on the board was OLB Kyler Fackrell from Utah State. Houston was blessed last season by getting a full season from Brian Cushing but depth at LB is always a concern. With two picks in the 4th I went back to the offense and got C Jack Allen from Michigan State for filling in as the swing guard and backup center. By the 4th round there was a slew of WR's to choose from but Allen was the highest ranked guy who wasn't a WR. The 2nd pick in the 4th was also on offense as literally the highest ranked player on the board was Rob Gronkowski's baby bro, Glen. He is listed as a fullback but he could work as an H back or a receiving tight end. I don't see Bill O'Brien with his New England roots pass on a Gronk. The Gronk family is 1-2 as far as the boys making it in the NFL. The youngest Gronk would have the opportunity to even the Gronk record. Round 5 I went defense with CB Jonathan Jones from Auburn. With my final pick coming in the 7th round I ended up taking a guy who could be another player to boost the depth on the O-line in Boise State guard Rees Odhiambo. I'm pretty happy about this draft but the likelihood of Laquan Treadwell being there for Houston at 22 in the first round is slim and none but, in this scenario, he was there and I took him.

22: R1P22
    WR LAQUON TREADWELL
    OLE MISS

52: R2P21
    TE HUNTER HENRY
    ARKANSAS

85: R3P22
    OLB KYLER FACKRELL
    UTAH STATE

120: R4P21
    C JACK ALLEN
    MICHIGAN STATE

160: R5P20
    FB GLENN GRONKOWSKI
    KANSAS STATE

167: R5P27
    CB JONATHAN JONES
    AUBURN

196: R6P20
    G REES ODHIAMBO
    BOISE STATE

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

It's been a full week since I posted about the Texans and that just goes to show you how quiet it has been at the Texans HQ in H-town. The only roster move Houston has made was done 4 days ago when the resigned their own FA RB Jonathan Grimes. Terms of Grimes deal are unknown. This makes 7 of their own FA's that Houston has signed to date. They have lost a couple of players in free agency and signed a some too. Here's a recap of the moves made by Houston so far.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...1-9a0e18c6b4c0

It's also time for my "On The Clock" draft simulator mock draft 4.0. I have to say, I am rather pleased with this mock. I didn't strictly go with the best player available I sort of went with the best player available bypassing positions already addressed by free agency. I started out with a CB in Vernon Hargreaves III out of Florida. He was the top player available at #22 in the 1st Rd. Next I again went with the best player available and that was DT Vernon Butler from LA Tech. At 6'3" and 323 lbs he will be groomed to replace Vince Wilfork. in the 3rd I went WR and I took Braxton Lynch over Oklahoma's Sterling Shepard who was ranked a notch higher than Miller. The Ohio State WR is bigger and faster and IMO would be a great compliment to DeAndre Hopkins. I just don't trust Jalen Strong anymore. In the 4th I was able to address the Texans need at TE by selecting Austin Hooper from Stanford. He is the 2nd ranked TE in the draft according to CBSSports.com. In the 5th Rd with the first pick the Texans have in that Rd I took Oregon State G Isaac Seumalo addressing the need at O-line and with the second pick of the 5th I took Minnesota OLB De'vondre Campbell. I closed out this mock with the 6th Rd pick and I selected another CB in West Virginia's Darryl Worley. Worley is sort of my pet mock draft cat. I like his size and he seemed to be a play maker in college. So, with the real NFL draft 37 days away here's probably my favorite draft to date. If Houston was able to draft these players I would not squawk one bit.

CB VERNON HARGREAVES III
    FLORIDA

DT VERNON BUTLER
    LOUISIANA TECH

WR BRAXTON MILLER
    OHIO STATE

120: R4P21
    TE AUSTIN HOOPER
    STANFORD

160: R5P20
    G ISAAC SEUMALO
    OREGON STATE

167: R5P27
    OLB DE'VONDRE CAMPBELL
    MINNESOTA

196: R6P20
    CB DARYL WORLEY
    WEST VIRGINIA

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

It's been quiet around NRG complex this past week. Not a lot of news or happenings taking place. Since the Texans made the big splash early on they have been pretty quiet in free agency. In the past week the Texans made only one signing and that one of their own guys. DB AJ Bouye and that's it. The link below talks about Bouye's signing and lists the move made in free agency so far.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...4-6ddb2343fb2a

It seems like just yesterday I posted my weekly mock draft but it has actually been a whole week. So, here is my mock draft 5.0 that is done on fanspeak.com's On The Clock draft simulator. The free agent signings early on made the priorities change as Houston really no longer needs a RB or QB and the defense is pretty solid. Filling holes on the roster and a definite upgrade in talent on the O-line is what Houston needs. Oh yeah, a wide receiver and a tight end won't hurt either. Let's see what happens this week.

CB VERNON HARGREAVES III - Cannot pass up the opportunity to get the highest ranked CB in the draft!
    FLORIDA

OLB JOSHUA PERRY - Quality linebackers are always a must in a 3-4 and Perry is a really good player, besides it's hard to pass up an Ohio State guy.
    OHIO STATE

G CHRISTIAN WESTERMAN - Ariz St guy will add quality depth to the O-line and could step in and start in a couple of years.
    ARIZONA STATE

119: R4P21
    TE NICK VANNETT - I saw Vannett at the Senior Bowl and I liked what I saw. Yet another Buckeye to add to the team.
    OHIO STATE

159: R5P20
    C EVAN BOEHM - Kicks like a Missouri mule is an old saying about a guy who is strong and tough. He could be your swing man at guard and center.
    MISSOURI

166: R5P27
    DT MATT IOANNIDIS - Another guy who made a good impression at the Senior Bowl.
    TEMPLE

195: R6P20
    DT D.J. READER - I can't seem to pass up on a Clemson or Ohio State player. Both programs are just too good.
    CLEMSON

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I have heard people say they are tired of JJ Watt. He's everywhere and he's the most recognizable defensive player in the NFL. Some even say he's overrated. Really? Back to back defensive player of the year awards overrated? These people are just haters. JJ Watt is the best defensive player since Lawrence Taylor and in many ways he's even better. My advice to Texans fans is to appreciate this guy while he's playing because you are watching history unfold. The guy seems to be everywhere but he's no phony and he is the real deal on and off the field. Now, in an article linked below from NFL.com it turns out that Watt earned his second consecutive Defensive Player of the Year award all the while dealing with 5 torn muscles in his core. The guy is just a flat out beast and I look forward to him getting healthy and earning an unprecedented 3rd consecutive DPOY award for Houston and leading this team deep into the playoffs.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...n-core-muscles

Jadeveon Clowney received the Ed Block Courage Award earlier this month in the ceremony held in New York. The EBCA is given to a player from each NFL team in a vote by their teammates who are the best role models for courage, inspiration and sportsmanship. After a serious knee injury in his rookie season that involved career threatening microfracture surgery. After missing all of the 2015 preseason Clowney came back and played as well as can be expected. He played in 13 games last season starting 9 and during the course of the year he recorded his first NFL sack ending up with 4.5 sacks on the year. It takes a year to come back from microfracture surgery and we have not seen the best of Clowney yet but he will undoubtedly be better in 2016.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...6-ccead89b6546

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Brian Hoyer recently said he wants to stay in Houston despite the fact that the Texans have paid a king's ransom to bring in Brock Osweiler. Hoyer has to know that he was automatically relegated to 2nd string when that happened and still he says he wants to play football in Houston. In all likelihood Hoyer is just being a good soldier and saying the right things so he doesn't look like a jerk. After all, I'll be he still wants a job and in the back of his mind I will also wager he still wants to start--for someone--in this league. All that is probably moot anyway since the Texans struck a deal with Brandon Weeden. Weeden was signed by the Texans after he was released by the Cowboys just after mid season last year. He became a free agent at the end of the 2015 season and Houston apparently liked what they saw and signed him to a deal on Friday. Terms of the deal were not disclosed. This is probably a sure bet that Hoyer is history in Houston.

Here's a video of JJ Watt as he goes through rehab evidence that with all the ailments he had last season he's finally getting healthy.

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-medi...0-973e2d6939ad

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Here is my weekly mock draft version 6.0. I have a very specific target this week which is unlike previous weeks when I sort of took the best available without duplicates or taking a kicker or punter. I am looking for a quality WR and TE to help out my new QB Brock Osweiler. So, let's see what happened.

WR COREY COLEMAN - Best WR in the draft this year. DeAndre Hopkins needs a partner on the opposite side and Coleman is that guy.
    BAYLOR

OLB JAYLON SMITH - If he hadn't been hurt in the bowl game Smith might have been the best LB in this draft. Worth taking a chance on with a 2nd round pick.
    NOTRE DAME

TE HUNTER HENRY - Highest ranked TE in this draft and said to be the most complete TE in years. There you go Brock and quality WR and TE for you to work with.
    ARKANSAS

G SPENCER DRANGO - OBTW Brock here's a stud guard to protect you up the middle. Your welcome.
    BAYLOR

C EVAN BOEHM - Ever heard the saying, "Kicks like a Missouri mule."? Here's your mule Brock. Quality O-line depth for your future health and well being.
    MISSOURI

DT WILLIE HENRY - Not forgetting the defense here's a guy who could step in and replace Vince Wilfork some day.
    MICHIGAN

CB DARYL WORLEY - I don't know why I like this guy other than he's long (6'1") and athletic and he made plays at West Virginia.
    WEST VIRGINIA

I'm pretty happy about this draft and if it came to pass that this is who Houston takes for real later this month I will be a happy camper especially if Jaylon Smith returns to form. It's being said he won't play in 2016 because he has to have his nerves, damaged when he injured his knee, grow back. If Smith comes back 100% he can play any linebacker spot and make any one of the positions better. As of today there are only 23 days until the draft.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

The NFL giveth and the NFL taketh away. Okay, sorry about going biblical here but Houston lost a valuable man this week. DE Jared Crick, who was a free agent, is a free agent no longer. On Wednesday Crick signed a two year deal with the Denver Broncos. I think this is big loss because Crick really stepped up to the plate for an injured Jadeveon Clowney and he played his ass off. Hopefully, Clowney is over his knee issues and can play all 16 games for the first time in his career but it sure is tough losing a guy who has played well. On the other side of the coin Houston did sign a FA of their own when they inked DB Quinton Demps to a deal on Thursday. Demps began his career in Philly where he played two seasons (2008-2009). Houston signed demps and he played 3 years in Houston (2010-2012) before playing 2013 in KC and 2014 with the Giants. Houston signed Demps just before the start of the 2015 season and he played well for the Texans before becoming a free agent again in February. Terms of Demp's deal are not known as yet. Still quiet around Texans HQ as you might expect but the draft is less than 3 weeks away so you can bet your bottom dollar the Texans front office and coaching staff are busy as heck right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

My weekly mock draft, version 7.0 is revealed here. It is finally getting close enough to start getting antsy about the draft. It is 2 weeks and a day until the NFL will gather in Chicago for the annual college talent cattle call known as the NFL draft. During the past weeks I have been mindful of the Texans needs but I have been taking my own personal wish list into account. The main needs, as I see it, are offensive line, wide receiver, tight end and filling odds and ends on defense. It's time to address those needs as Houston is about to begin off season workouts in prep for the 2016 NFL season. The Texans begin on Monday the 18th with their phase I offseason workout program which consists of strength and conditioning workouts. This is done while the Texans assemble their draft board as the scouts, coaches and GM meet together to plan for April 28th, 29th and 30th. So, here is my mock consisting totally of picks addressing the needs the Texans have going into the draft.

OT JACK CONKLIN - 3rd ranked OT in the draft and he's ready to play if needed. Duane Brown and Derek Newton are both getting older and Conklin is a fit at both tackles.
    MICHIGAN STATE

WR WILL FULLER - The speedster from Notre Dame will make a great bookend with DeAndre Johnson for the Texans.
    NOTRE DAME

TE AUSTIN HOOPER - Second ranked TE in the draft according to CBSSports.com. Hooper will make the 6th TE from Stanford in the NFL. Apparently, Stanford knows TE's.
    STANFORD

C JACK ALLEN - Talk about coincidence! It didn't snap to me until just now that I have drafted college teammates. Talk about continuity! Allen is a little small for an O-lineman
    MICHIGAN STATE - but if he can play some guard as well as backup center this won't be a wasted pick. Will need a year in the weight room. He value will be realized in the future.

G ISAAC SEUMALO - Every guy can't be a 1st round pick. Seumalo has the size and athleticism to compete for a starting job. Will be a good backup ready to step in when needed.
    OREGON STATE

DT D.J. READER - I chose Reader ahead of Matt Ionnidis (Temple) and Willie Henry (Michigan) because of his size (6'3", 323 lbs) as a good man to groom behind Vince Wilfork.
    CLEMSON - I also picked him because I am a fan of almost everyone from Clemson and Ohio State.

CB KEVIN PETERSON - He's a little undersized for the big NFL receivers but he did okay against tough Big 12 competition while at Ok State. His 4.58 combine and pro day 40
    OKLAHOMA STATE - times are more conducive of a safety rather than a corner. He may be a nickel back or a backup safety with cover skills in the NFL.

I think this is a pretty decent draft. I have addressed the need for depth at O-line including two guys who project as starters in the NFL. I got a top tier WR in Will Fuller who will add speed to the Texans offense and I got a guy who could develop into a top NFL caliber receiving TE.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

The 2016 NFL season schedule was released last night and there are a couple of interesting games on the schedule. Games that stand out with some story lines are 1) Sept 22nd on Thursday night Houston travels to New England for a Thursday night game. Brock Osweiler led the Broncos to a late season win over the Pats on their way to winning Super Bowl 50.
    2) On Oct 24th Houston will travel to Denver for a Monday night game. It will be Osweiler's first trip back to Denver since signing with Houston. 3) On Nov 21 Houston and Oakland will travel to Mexico City for the first NFL game there since 2005. It will also be the first ever game broadcast on Monday Night Football outside the US. 4) Dec 4 JJ Watt, a native of Wisconsin, will play his first game in his home state when Houston travels to Green Bay to play the Packers at Lambeau Field.
    This season the teams from the AFC South which includes Houston will play the AFC West teams and the NFC North teams this season. The remainder of the schedule will be against the Patriots and Bengals. That's the price you pay for a 1st place schedule.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...4-3dd13e13b0d1

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...6-e78c567d5122

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...7-9ba783812bd6

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...a-778447a7772f

Houston has a brutal road schedule when you consider all their division games will be pretty tough because Indianapolis is Indy, Jacksonville is a vastly improved team and Tennessee with a whole new staff from the front office down to the coaching staff should be a lot better especially after all the draft picks they hauled in when they traded their 1st overall draft pick to the Rams. The non-division road games are going to be tough as hell. Their road opponents are, in order, are: New England Week 3, Minnesota Week 5, Denver Week 6, Oakland in Mexico City Week 11, Green Bay Week 13. All five teams were playoff teams in 2015. Houston has got to be ranked near the top of the toughest schedules in the coming season. Needless to say Brock Osweiler will be under a lot of pressure to help the Texans repeat as AFC South Champs considering they went 9-7 and won the division with pretty spotty, at best, QB play. For the money Houston paid Osweiler was paid he will have to be a darn sight better than either Brian Hoyer, Ryan Mallett and Brandon Weeden were.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Yesterday the Texans did what I figured they would do and that's release QB Brian Hoyer. The depth chart is now set for the Texans heading into offseason workouts that begin today. Brock Osweiler is the starter and Brandon Weeden, Tom Savage and a real dark horse to make the team BJ Daniels left to fight out who will be the Texans backup this coming season. It may not be as set as you think if TJ Yates is able to come back from the torn ACL he suffered late last season. Houston resigned Yates in October when they cut Ryan Mallett. He came in a won a game for the Texans after Hoyer was injured in a November game against Cincinnati. On December 20 Yates tore his ACL in the game against Indianapolis and he was put on season ending injured reserve the next day. I doubt Yates will be able to come back by training camp so his best bet is to be available by mid season as injuries start to pile up around the NFL.

As you look at the needs of the Houston Texans you may have a tendency to overlook left tackle. You just sort of take for granted Duane Brown will be there. Then, when you stop and thing about it, Houston probably could use an infusion of talent at LT. After all, Brown will turn 31 just before the beginning of the 2016 season and he is coming of a torn tendon in his quad suffered in the Texans last regular season game. It probably should be a time for Houston to start thinking of Brown's replacement which may be needed as soon as September. Brown is making good progress in his rehab but when you say your goal is to make it back to the field by the start of the season it would be asking a lot of a player to just jump into the fire without benefit of training camp. I'm not saying Brown can't do it because he's a vet and he knows the NFL and he knows his job. It's just not that easy to do is all I'm saying. Check out this article from the Bleacher Report on Brown's point of view.

http://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/100...medium=twitter

As for who will be available to Houston at pick #22, it won't be Laremy Tunsil. He will most certainly be a top 10, or even top 5 pick. It has been argued that Tunsil is the best player in this year's draft. Unless Houston sells the farm to move up they won't get him. It doesn't mean there won't be a top prospect or 3 left on the board when it's Houston's turn to pick. There's Notre Dame's Ronnie Stanley and Michigan State's Jack Conclin or even Ohio State's Tony Decker who could be available for Houston to draft. Houston does have options on their roster already but none you would consider to be your franchise left tackle. The O-line needs some upgrade and left tackle is no exception and shouldn't be a position Houston overlooks as they head into the Brock Osweiler era of Texans football.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

This will be my final mock draft, version 8.0, and the first mock since the big Rams-Titans trade last week. Of course this comes from fanspeak.com's On The Clock draft simulator and, as I've done in the past, I use the CBSSports.com player ranking board. I'll click on the "Let's Draft button and let's see what happens this week.

OT JACK CONKLIN - The 3rd ranked OT in the draft and the highest ranked tackle on the board.
    MICHIGAN STATE

S VONN BELL - The top ranked safety in the draft after Jalen Ramsey was reclassified as a cornerback.
    OHIO STATE

WR STERLING SHEPARD - A playmaker for the Sooners will help out at WR and could be a really good kick returner.
    OKLAHOMA

G SEBASTIAN TRETOLA - Another building block for the O-line. Big, stout man in the interior line.
    ARKANSAS

DT D.J. READER - I went down some for reader because he's the one technique DT who could end up being the long term answer after Vince Wilfork retires.
    CLEMSON

CB JAMES BRADBERRY - A long fast CB from a small school with a tremendous upside. At 6'1 and 211 lbs he's big enough to match up with any WR and some TE's. He ran a 4.50
    SAMFORD - at the NFL Combine and a 4.45 at his pro day. As any player drafted this late he's got issues but they are issues good coaching can help solve.

OLB DADI LHOMME NICOLAS - Has got the size and ability to play inside LB in Houston's 3-4. Again a late round pick needs to fix some issues but Lhome-Nicolas is fast enough to
    VIRGINIA TECH - to play in the NFL. He needs a year in the weight room but he can contribute on special teams this season.

That's it. It's not my favorite mock to date, that would be last week's mock 7.0, but if this is how the draft goes for Houston I won't be mad. They add depth to the O-line, got a quality WR and got a good nose tackle to help out Vince Wilfork. All in all, not too shabby. The downside of this mock is I wasn't able to get my target TE, Nick Vannett, but as I have learned from fantasy football and these mock drafts you can't always get what you want because somebody else is drafting too.

Beside cutting Brian Hoyer loose the Texans also released QB BJ Daniels leaving the Texans with Osweiler, Weeden and Savage at QB. All in all, I believe they are in good shape especially if Osweiler proves to be the man. I don't believe Houston will draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd round because of all the money they have tied up in Osweiler. The Texans have pushed all their chips in the middle of the table taking a big chance they will hit on the come with Osweiler.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

So, you know that Brock Osweiler talked a good game when he had is press conference after he signed the deal with the Texans. Great, but lot of guys SAY the right things but don't back it up. Case in point, Johnny Manziel. John Football said this week he is getting his life in order and he is ready to walk the straight and narrow. Early in the week JF was out to the wee hours partying in LA. Said the right thing, did the wrong thing. Osweiler is walking the walk however. He organized some off season work with his fellow QBs and receivers at his alma mater Arizona State in Tempe and it wasn't party time. Osweiler had completely planned the entire week they spent in Arizona with an hour by hour itinerary. Check out this article from Texans.com. There's also a video in the article where Osweiler talked about his week in Arizona. Osweiler has a grant total of seven career starts and the only thing left for him is get game experience and he will certainly get that. What's encouraging about him is he has played in some big games on the biggest of stages and won. Hopefully, Bill O'Brien can be a good mentor for Osweiler, I think if O'Brien is all in on him, Osweiler will do just fine thank you.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...2-49eaa0493bb1

The Texans, like all the other NFL teams, began Phase I of the allowed team activities on Monday. Basically, Phase I is devoted to supervised strength, conditioning and rehab work with coaches and trainers. Phase I lasts for the first two weeks of the allotted nine weeks of off season activity. Phase II is 3 weeks of on-field instruction by coaches which include drills on an individual level and on a team level but no physical contact is to take place and no offense vs defense drills are permitted. Phase III is the last 4 weeks of off season work that included OTA's and mini camps. No live contact is permitted but 7 on 7, 9 on 7 and 11 on 11 drills are permitted. There is also a veteran mini camp allowed in Phase III on top of the other work as well as a rookie development program that can last up to 7 weeks that begins in May that includes a rookie mini camp following the NFL draft. There are more nuts and bolts to the off season workout rules stipulated in the collective bargaining agreement between the player's union and the NFL but they aren't worth talking about here. The one thing I will say is, there are a lot of people that believe that the lack of contact in off season work leads to more injuries for that very reason. It is also a reason why the tackling in the NFL has become very spotty at best.

Jadeveon Clowney was the 1st overall pick by Houston in the 2014 NFL draft and even the most kind observer has got to admit that he hasn't lived up to expectations. He missed virtually all of his rookie year when he injured his knee against Kansas City in the season opener. The knee was pretty serious and needed microfracture surgery which has been career threatening in the past. Clowney came back way ahead of schedule last season and while he has some decent moments he wasn't the force of nature he was touted as when Houston drafted him. In the article linked below there is a breakdown of why there is reason to hope Clowney will finally become the beast we thought he was going to be. Within the article there are several videos showing what his potential can be as noticed in the Texans game against Buffalo late last season.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...6-74f8be0e93d7

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

The draft is finally here this week. It seems like a million years we've been waiting for the draft since the Senior Bowl way back in February but it's just 3 days away now. What are the major needs Houston has in this draft? Well, it's not QB since they signed Brock Osweiler during the free agency frenzy and the multi-year multi-million dollar deal he got means Oz is the starting QB for the Texans. Love him or hate him he's the guy for the foreseeable future.
    Houston needs offensive line help, they need wide receiver help and they need a quality tight end. They could use some depth at corner and safety and the old adage that says you can never have enough good linebackers. It remains to be seen how much Houston will miss Jared Crick who went to Denver in free agency but what Houston needs is guy to play nose tackle with an eye on eventually replacing Vince Wilfork. There are several good NT prospects in this draft and as Rick Smith was quoted as saying there is a lot of depth in this draft in positions that will help the Texans make themselves better.

Right after this draft 3 key men in the Astros front office will be stepping down from their posts. Senior Personnel Advisor Bobby Grier, National Scout Ed Lambert and College Scout Bob Beers will conclude their Texans careers on May 1, the Sunday after the conclusion of the draft. It's quite unusual for 3 key members of a front office staff retire en masse outside of a complete front office makeover by a new GM or head coach.

After GM Rick Smith released QB Brian Hoyer on April 17th within about 2 days it was reported that, in effect, Smith was saying oops, I made a mistake. I could have held on to Hoyer and traded him for a draft pick. I haven't been a big fan of Smith as a GM because I didn't think he and his staff didn't handle salary cap issue too well and his personnel decisions left something to be desired. This latest faux pas over Brian Hoyer is just another example of his lack of foresight. I'm not going to bitch too much because, whether it's because of or in spite of, Rick Smith's leadership the Texans have become fairly consistent playoff contenders. They have a filled some holes in free agency and they have a real chance to make themselves better beginning Thursday night. Of the two Texas NFL teams I honestly believe, top to bottom, the Texans are better than Dallas and frankly I think their ceiling is higher than the Cowboys. Dallas has too many holes to fill and too many problems with personnel right now. A lot could change for Dallas this week so we'll see but a lot could change for Houston too. I hope they both do so well I get my Texas Super Bowl at long last.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

It's time to get back to what really matters here, Cheerleaders! Houston has been doing tryouts for potential Texans cheerleaders and they have narrowed the field to a select group of finalists. The link below takes us to a slideshow of these lovely finalists and Texans.com gives us all a chance to vote on our favorites to make the team. Nice.

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-medi...06303b87#start

Excuse me but I don't have anything more important to talk about while I make a detailed analysis of who needs to be the HTC squad for 2016. This is an important decision that will require extensive research so I should be tied up on this for the rest of the day.