Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 2016 NFL Off Season

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: 2016 NFL Off Season

The preseason ends tonight and, in my mind, the march to the regular season officially begins when the final cuts to their 53 man rosters is made on Saturday afternoon. There will still be some wheeling and dealing the rest of the weekend as teams with weaknesses or needs at certain positions will hit the cut list hard to see if anyone is available that can help them. The best teams will have to cut good players simply because the numbers didn't add up for them and the weaker teams will poach those players as quickly as they can because at one minute past the cut deadline it will be like sharks with blood in the water. Good times. Suddenly, guys who thought their NFL career dreams were over are snapped up and they are players once again. Really good times. So remember when the final preseason games kick off tonight remember there are a boatload of players who this "meaningless" game means everything and even though the games themselves are sloppy, penalty filled marathons for the players on the field it's their Super Bowl. Just seven days until the regular season begins.

The NFL after blundering through a useless investigation of charges of PED use by several current and former players by a since discredited article from Al-Jazeera and a pissing contest with the players in question over when and where interviews with the NFL league office the NFL has concluded that there is no credence to the Al-Jazeera report and the players have all been exonerated of any wrong doing. Another case of the NFL league office (sic; Roger Goodell) wielding its heavy handed, pain in the ass attitude to come to a conclusion that should have been a no-brainer after the man that wrote the article for Al-Jazeera admitted his article was a piece of crap. The NFL tried to bully players into agreeing to meet with them on their turf and under their conditions and the players in question, James Harrison in particular, thumbed their nose at the NFL league office demands. The interviews took place under the threat of fines or suspensions for non-compliance and the logical conclusion was reached in the end. The NFL tried to flex its muscles again in a similar fashion as the deflate-gate debacle and they come out of it looking like a bunch of spoiled brat bullies. All this crap over a discredited article from a middle eastern news service. Kids, tell Al-Jazeera thank you for wasting our time. Thank you Al-Jazeera. Good, now kids go play (football).

Here we are on the verge of the happiest time of the year no, Christmas wasn't moved to September, I'm talking about the start of football. And what are we doing? Celebrating the beginning of fall with the start of the football? Hell no, we are talking about bullshit. Al-Jazeera articles, political protests of treatment of minorities in the USA and pretty much nothing about football. WTF people!?? So NFL.com has an article about an open letter from Nate Boyer to Colin Kaepernick over his refusal to stand for the National Anthem in last Saturday's 49ers game. Who's Nate Boyer? He's a former Green Beret and veteran of Afghanistan and Iraq who tried out for the Seattle Seahawks in 2015. He didn't make the cut but at 35 it was something that he tried and nearly made it. I think you'll be surprised at what he has to say to Mr Kaepernick. To say Kaepernick has raised awareness of what he feels is a real plight in America is an understatement and Mr Boyer's reaction may make us all stop and think. Kaepernick's protest stems from police related shootings of minorities and the subsequent lack of punishment of those officers. There are bad apples in every barrel and some of the shootings are not justified but the amount police related shootings is just a drop in the bucket compared to the amount of killings by minorities of each other in gang and drug related violence. Where's the outrage over that? I respect Kaepernick's right to protest and his right to be concerned over police related shootings. I disagree with the track he took but that's why we live in such a great country that allows for such forms of protest to occur without harsh government repercussions. The social repercussions are another matter but he seems willing to deal with that which is good because it's also the right of others not like what he did. Check out Nate Boyer's response and you may think about this a little differently.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...lin-kaepernick

I hope we can talk football again soon.
    Last edited by eagle eye; 09-01-2016 at 09:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

The only thing left in the preseason are the final cuts. What's been called the world's longest job interview is over and now all there is left to do is wait. Did you ever have to wait for something you really wanted and had to wait to see whether or not you would get it? It just plain sucks. Can you imagine having to wait a day and a half to find out if your life long dream of being an NFL football player will come true or not? It must be excruciating but the fact is for a great many of these players, they already know in their hearts it's over. It's like that long last walk of a death row inmate to his doom they are the NFL equivalent to dead men walking. Yeah okay, a little too dramatic but to a 20 or 21 year old young man it may seem like the end of the world. Eventually, they realize it's not the end but a chance for a new beginning on different path. And such is life. Last night we found out that some team's backups are better than others but we kind of knew that already. Final cuts come Saturday and the anticipation for the fans can begin for that opening day. A few years ago the NFL decided to kick start the season by having one game on the Thursday night prior to opening Sunday. Then it morphed into a regular Thursday night game to go along with the traditional Sunday lineup of games and of course Monday Night Football. Then came Sunday night football and then the NFL figured if one game to open the season on Thursday night is good then two would be twice as good. I don't subscribe to Thursday Night Football as a good thing. I think that the thing that makes football special is there is only one game per team a week and the anticipation for that game is part of why people go bat-crap crazy when the game comes on. The big hot topic in the NFL right now is player safety but the NFL seems to be talking out of both sides of their mouths because on the one hand they say they are for player safety and they create new rules to try to protect players but on the other hand they perpetuate the Thursday night game which gives players only 3 days between games. You can't fully recuperate from what amounts to 35-40 car wrecks in 3 days, there's no way. There is also talk of expanding the season to 18 games and I am so against that as well. All the owners see are dollar signs but all it means to players is two extra weeks of punishment and that's before the playoffs even start. Who wins? The owners do because money talks and you know what walks. That's the ugly side of football but in early September it's not about any of that. It's about digging your lucky shirt out of moth balls or breaking out your new team jersey and grabbing a 12 pack and getting together with your buddies because this is the first day of spring all over again. Every single team starts out 0-0 and every single one of them is hoping to get to the Super Bowl and every single one of them has a shot, in their own minds anyway. Fans too, it's a new season, a new beginning and hope is the word of the day. To each and every fan the phrase, "This is our year" is as real as it gets. Eventually, the reality sets in and hope fades but on opening weekend everyone is in first place and everyone has a shot at the brass ring. That's why I don't like the Thursday night doubleheader because it in the middle of the week and I have work the next day. You can't bar-b-cue and you can't drink beer like you could on Sunday afternoon. I'll give you Sunday night and Monday night is an institution even though ESPN is sort of ruining it but Thursday is too darn much. Give me a whole week to let the anticipation build until that pent up adrenaline has a release and let me have Thursday to watch some cop save the city so I can go to bed at a decent hour. That said, the 2016 NFL season begins in just six days!! And the Cowboys are going undefeated and win the Super Bowl!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Earlier this morning there was breaking news that is somewhat shocking. The Minnesota Vikings completed a trade with the Philadelphia Eagles to obtain QB Sam Bradford. The Vikings will give up a 1st round pick next year and a 4th round pick to be determined. It's highly unusual for a team to trade it's starting QB a week before opening day. In fact, I will venture to say it has never happened before, ever. Bradford may not be all that upset because he was totally pissed in the spring when the Eagles made two big trades to move up to take QB Carson Wentz with the 2nd pick in the draft. To say Bradford didn't feel the love of the Eagles front office would be a gross understatement. This means that Chase Daniels will likely become the Week 1 starter for Philly and the Eagles have already announced that Wentz will assume the starting QB duties when he is fully healthy. So put that in your fantasy draft pipe and smoke it.

Here's a list of notable cuts made today including German WR Moritz Behringer whose freakish athleticism garnered him some notice before the draft this year, notice that actually led to his being drafted by the Minnesota Vikiings in April. If he showed any real potential during OTAs and training camp the Vikes will sign him to their practice squad as soon as he clears waivers. One guy who won't be on anyone's practice squad is Packers 3 time pro bowl guard Josh Sitten who was released today. (Hello, Houston. Did you see this?) So other players of note are in this article linked below from NFL.com.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...t-aaron-dobson

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

This is theme that will be repeated on other threads but with all cuts being made and last second deals have been made off the cut lists so what that means is the preseason is officially over. I have a link below analyzing some of those last minute signings and that's it for this thread. It's time to officially commence the 2016 NFL season's beginning. There are fantasy lineups to set, beer to buy and pizza to order. Thanks to all who have followed this thread and I hope to see you during the regular season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...oster-cutdowns

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Last night the Steelers proved they don't need Martavis Bryant who is on IR or Le'Veon Bell who is suspended 4 games they have a good enough team to step on the field with anybody. I don't know how the Steelers do it and I both hate them and I am jealous of them for their consistency. They kicked the crap out of the Redskins last night and they are poised to roll through yet another season as a playoff contender. The final score, in case you didn't hear was Pitt 38 Wash 16 and folks it wasn't even that close.
    At the opposite end of the spectrum the folks at MNF gave us two teams who likely won't even smell a .500 record this year. The Rams and 49ers faced off against each other in what I like to call "The Overrated Coach Bowl". I think both Jeff Fisher and Chip Kelly are overrated and I don't like either one of them. I sort of like the Rams as a franchise, don't ask me why because I don't know but I do but it's clear that Fisher doesn't know what the hell he is doing. I still can't explain how he led the Titans to the Super Bowl and was just a half yard short of winning the thing over, ironically enough the Rams team known at the time as the greatest show on turf. My dislike of Fisher as a head coach was cemented when I saw Hard Knocks. Fisher and his staff never really showed any great leadership qualities. The best they could do was threaten players jobs and drop F-bombs all over the place. The Cardinals and Seahawks are going to just beat both of these teams to a pulp this season and personally, I will be glad to watch the carnage. It's one of the reasons that makes have Directv and NFL Sunday Ticket worth having so I can see these two overrated gentlemen get their asses handed to them.

It looks like Jacksonville is finally getting it's money's worth out of TE Julius Thomas. After Thomas signed with the Jags a couple of years ago he hasn't been a factor for them at all because he has been injured. This season began with him finally healthy and you could see the difference as the Jaguars gave the Green Bay Packers they wanted before finally losing 27-23. Thomas caught 5 balls for 65 yards and a TD in his best game since he left Denver. He was the third leading receiver for the Jags behind the Allen brothers, Robinson and Hurns. TJ Yeldon may get another week as the bell cow because the status, like his mysterious illness, of Chris Ivory is up in the air. The Jags have said only that Ivory checked into the hospital on Saturday night with a general health issue and that's as far as the explanation goes. Yeldon wasn't much of a factor in the run game because the Packers sort of negated the Jags run game. Yeldon gained just 39 yards on 21 carries but he did score a TD rushing. He also added 30 yards receiving on 4 catches. The road doesn't get any easier as they play San Diego who blew a 2nd half lead to lose to Kansas City on Sunday.

If you keep track of such things in the NFC East the Giants and Eagles won while the Cowboys and Redskins both lost. In the AFC South every team but the Texans lost but Houston can't enjoy the win and the division lead too long because those aforementioned Chiefs will be coming in to play the them on Sunday. As for the Colts, are they really that bad or is Detroit suddenly that good? We'll see as Indy will play Denver in Denver on Sunday.
    Last edited by eagle eye; 09-15-2016 at 06:28 AM.