Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 NFL Off Season

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: 2016 NFL Off Season

The deal that was reportedly so close between the Broncos and Colin Kaepernick has hit the skids again. Kaepernick won't take a pay cut and San Francisco won't pay a portion of the guaranteed money Kap is slated to make and the Broncos are determined not to overpay for the guy. So, until further notice Kaepernick is a 49er.

Jameis Winston QB of the Tampa Bay Bucs says he will take a pay cut to have the opportunity to play with his former college teammate Jalen Ramsey. It's not going to happen unless the Bucs mortgage their whole draft to move up from #9 to #1 to guarantee they will get Ramsey. Mock drafts have Ramsey going anywhere from #1 to #4 in April's draft and there is not even a snowball's chance in hell he will fall to 9. It was certainly nice of Winston to talk up his former teammate though. Winston was the first pick in last year's draft and it would be a major coup for Florida State to have a second alum of the school go #1 in this year's draft.

People criticize Jerry Jones for players he chooses to sign but what about the Raiders who keep signing absolute nut job Aldon Smith to deals. Smith is an incident waiting to happen and the Raiders keep giving him a platform to mess up from. Get this, Smith is currently serving a 1 year suspension for substance abuse violations and he won't even be eligible for reinstatement until November. NOVEMBER! That hasn't stopped the Raiders from office from giving Smith a 2 year $19 MM contract. I guess when you are good any and all sins can and will be forgiven. Smith is worth the investment to Raiders because he recorded more sacks in the first two years of his career, 33.5, than any player in NFL history. That is why Oakland is willing to take a chance on Smith now. Smith's suspension stems from an incident last August when he was charged with hit and run, DUI and vandalism. This fool is bat-crap crazy but double digit sack men don't grow on trees. Like for most businesses Oakland must feel like the ends justify the means. We'll see.

The incident recently that involved Bills RB LeSean McCoy in relation to two off duty Philadelphia police officers being beaten up pretty severely has been thrown out because there wasn't enough evidence to file charges on McCoy. Both officers were knocked to the ground and beaten and kicked resulting in both officers suffering broken ribs, broken nose, lacerations and sprained thumb. It's too bad nothing has come from this incident because it's just wrong to have a person or persons, much less cops, getting the hell beaten out of them and nothing coming from it.

Mark Sanchez can read and I'm sure his hearing is pretty good too but that hasn't stopped him from acting like the Broncos #1 QB. He has organized the receivers from the Broncos and is holding his own QB camp as he tries to build an on-field relationship with the likes of Demaryius Thomas, Emmanuel Sanders and the signed receivers for Denver. QB Trevor Siemian is there to throw with the Broncos receivers. This is something Sanchez had done when he was with the Jets and Eagles so it's nothing new to Sanchez even though it is a very Peyton Manning-like thing to do. In fact it's just the same thing Peyton did when he came to Denver and, like Sanchez, it's the same thing he did in Indianapolis. Good habits are just good habits. I know a guy who thinks Sanchez isn't a bad QB at all. He will certainly be given a chance to show what he can do with the high caliber of players he has to throw to in Denver. After all Sanchez did lead the Jets to two consecutive AFC Championship games. He had to have something going for him, right? Right.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

The Saints and players and coaches around the NFL after DL Will Smith was murdered by a piece of shit after that piece of shit rear ended Smith's vehicle hitting him hard enough for Smith's vehicle to bash into the car ahead of him. After exchanging words after the accident the piece of shit, who was driving a Hummer, pulled out a gun and shot Smith multiple times and he also shot Smith's wife a couple of times. Smith was dead at the scene and his wife was taken to the hospital with 2 gun shot wounds to the leg.
    Smith was a 9 year NFL veteran who was liked and respected around the league and he was a pillar of strength both for the Saints and in the New Orleans community and Smith's foundation Where There's a Will There's a Way provided opportunities to women and children in the community.
    The piece of shit's name is Cardell Hayes who is 30 years old and he has been booked on 2nd degree murder. I hope his final sentence is being beaten to death with baseball bats. It's incidents like this that makes gun control people go crazy and I'm not sure I disagree. Like the Lynard Skynard song "Saturday Night Special" says, handguns are made for killing, they ain't good for nothing else. I have thought for a long time that anytime a crime is committed with a gun it is automatic death penalty if the perp is caught.
    I'm sorry if this offends anyone but a man with a wife and 3 kids should not die in a city street after a guy initiates a wreck and doesn't like to hear what an idiot he is. Fuck Cardell Hayes. I change my mind, I hope he goes to prison and he's beaten up every single day by the inmates until he finally dies of the beatings hopefully after a few years of abuse. This could happen because the Saints are like Gods in the New Orleans area especially after they won the Super Bowl in 2009 after all the hardship because of Hurricane Katrina. Smith was a big part of that team and the recovery from Katrina. My thoughts and prayers go out to Smith, his wife and family as they deal with senselessness. I wish nothing but suffering and pain for Cardell Hayes and I hope he dies bloody and suffers in the process.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I almost threw up in my mouth when I heard earlier this week that Cardell Hayes killed Saints DL Will Smith last week in self defense. The police reported that a gun was found in Smith's SUV and another gun was found in Hayes vehicle but police said neither gun had been fired. An eye witness to the killing said that Smith had his back to Hayes trying to protect his wife when Hayes shot smith 8 times in the back. Smith's wife, Rachel, was hit in the leg two times by gunfire and also had the femur bone in her leg shattered. The witness said Smith never removed his weapon, which he was licensed to carry, from it's spot in his vehicle and he definitely was not brandishing a gun as a passenger in Hayes vehicle had claimed. Hayes has been arrested and arraigned on 2nd degree murder and his preliminary hearing will take place on April 28th. Hayes is currently being held on $1MM bond. The penalty for being found guilty of 2nd degree murder in Louisiana is life in prison without hope of probation, parole or suspension of sentence. 1st degree murder is the same as 2nd degree murder with the death penalty on the table as well. Unfortunately, the definition of both types of murders dictates that Hayes be charged with 2nd degree murder. The only way this can result in the death penalty is if there are inmates who loved the Saints enough to exact a little "prison justice" on Hayes. One can only hope.

This week's sign the apocalypse is upon us. (Thanks Sport Illustrated for the inspiration) Cleveland Browns WR Josh Gordon failed yet another drug test last month but he still had the gall to make a request for reinstatement to the NFL. The NFL rejected the request because Gordon can't seem to leave the weed alone. He is eligible to reapply for reinstatement in August which, in all likelihood, will again be rejected. Gordon is currently a minimum one year ban placed on him last spring. Not only is he not clean he isn't even smart enough to lay off weed for the 30 days it stays in your system so he can pass a drug test. The kicker here is that it has been reported that even more troubled player, Johnny Manziel, is living with Gordon. Wait, what? A guy with substance abuse issues and behavioral issues is living with a guy with substance abuse issues when he's supposed to be cleaning up his life so he can play in the NFL? Really? Wow.

The Patriots have signed RB LeGarrett Blount to a 1 year deal. In another move the Pats have cut former 1st round pick DT Dominque Easley. The Pats first round pick in 2014 has been a very effective, maybe the best, player on defense the last two seasons when he's healthy. With in college Easley tore the ACL in both knees and in 2014 his season was cut short with a knee injury. Last season Easley missed time due to a torn quadriceps muscle in his leg. This move is being called "a stunner" by NFL.com who sees a really good player when healthy so much so that it's hard not to believe there is more to this story than has been made known to the public.

The Cincinnati Bengals have exercised the 5th year option for TE Tyler Eifort. Eifort is a huge weapon for Andy Dalton and the Bengals but the trouble is he can't seem to stay healthy. At least before 2015 when Eifort did stay healthy and earned his first pro bowl nod as he combined with AJ Green to give the Bengals a formidable 1-2 receiving punch.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

OMG! The face of this draft was changed dramatically this morning when the LA Rams traded up from #15 to get the #1 pick in this year's draft. It's a situation where the Rams got fleeced in much the same way they fleeced the Redskins 5 years ago who the 'Skins traded up so they could draft RGIII. The Rams have struck a deal with the Tennessee Titans in which the Rams get the first pick in the draft as well as the Titans fourth and sixth round picks. This is where the Rams get hosed because they give Tennessee their former pick at 15, they give the Titans 2 picks in the second round and a 3rd round pick in this year's draft and the Rams 1st and 3rd round pick in 2017. This puts enormous pressure on Jeff Fisher and the Rams to get this pick right because they won't have a draft pick worth talking about for the next two years. The Rams have made a move to draft their franchise QB in Carson Wentz or Jared Goff by all outward appearances and judging by the prevailing opinions of Wentz and Goff the Rams will pick Goff because he is considered the most NFL ready QB in this draft. This is a major move for both the Rams and Titans. The Titans have enough great draft picks this year and next they could lay the foundation for the Titans franchise for the next 10 years. This has to be a major coup for new Titans GM Jon Robinson who inherited his franchise QB Marcus Mariota whom the Titans acquired in last year's draft. The Titans need help at just about every other position so this will help their front office kick start their rebuilding program.

Super agent Drew Rosenhaus has represented a lot of very successful athletes in a lot of different sports but today he cut ties with one of his clients, Johnny Manziel. Rosenhaus said in a statement that, "I don't think I can express it enough -- it's a life-and-death situation," Rosenhaus said. "I'm not talking about football anymore. I'm talking about a young man who's in trouble." --- quote from article from NFL.com --- as Rosenhaus will no long facilitate Manziel's self destructive ways by representing him. It goes a long way in expressing just how far gone Manziel is and what Manziel does next could be a literal life and death decision. Rosenhaus is actually the 2nd agent this year to cut ties with Manziel. His previous representative cut ties with Johnny January after an incident involving domestic violence allegations were filed by his girlfriend. The case has gone to the Grand Jury who decide if charges will be filed against Manziel. This kid is a dumpster fire who has made partying, and drug and alcohol abuse the goes with it, the most important thing in his life. You know you're screwing up when a father that has enabled and entitled Johnny his whole life says he needs to get help before he literally kills himself. It's really sad to see a kid as talented and exciting as Manziel is on the football field throw it away like this.

Back to the Rams-Titans draft trade, here is a link to an article from one of NFL.com's draft experts, Daniel Jeremiah and how he believes this deal will reshape the first round picks.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...mstitans-trade

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Which QB will the Rams draft now that they've put themselves in position to draft the one they want? Goff or Wentz? Goff has been projected as the most starting ready of the two while many feel Wentz has the most upside in the long haul. Fortunately, we only have to wait 12 more days to find out.

A day that will live in Infamy: It was 16 years today that Bill Belichick drafted Tom Brady in the 2000 NFL draft. For every non-Patriots fan this was a dark day indeed because he was not drafted until the 6th round meaning every single team passed on him at least 5 times.

Tony Romo has been fully throwing for the past two weeks since he had the surgery to shave down his collar bone to allow more movement of the joint which is supposed to help him avoid further injuries to the area. Cowboys fans have their fingers crossed.

The Texans have exercised their fifth year option for DeAndre Hopkins. This means he will be a Texan through the 2017 season. Hopkins has emerged as the lead dog in the Texans receiving corps and is is work every cent of the money Houston will pay him. I wouldn't surprised if prior to the 2017 season Houston doesn't try to get a long term deal done to avoid letting Hopkins even get a whiff of free agency.

Remember Kevin White. The Star WR from West Virginia who was drafted with the 7th pick in last year's draft. Don't worry if you don't because he's been on the down-low since the draft. He missed the entire 2015 because he needed surgery to correct a stress fracture in his leg. White will expected to be full go when the Bears and the rest of the NFL begin offseason work on Monday. It will be nice for the Bears to have White to pair with current star Alshon Jeffrey.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I thought I'd put this post here since not everyone is a Cowboys or Texans fan and it may be interesting to have a guide to players you may not be completely familiar with. First, DallasCowboys.com beat writers have put together their 2016 Draft Guide issue of their Dallas Cowboys Star Magazine. They preview over 100 players and list 500 prospects in the draft. They also give their own 1st round mock draft and many other features. In the link below you find where to subscribe to the magazine either in print or as a digital issue or you can buy individual issues including the draft guide. Or, if you are in the Parkdale Mall area the Dallas Cowboys Fan shop located near the food court where you can buy the draft guide as well as your favorite Cowboys merch.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/star

Another resource is the most comprehensive draft on the market researched and published by CBSSports.com writer Dane Brugler. Dane is a regular on "The Draft Show" on DallasCowboys.com but he is well versed on the needs of all 32 teams. It is only available online for the price of 6.99 reduced from 9.99. You can print out a hard copy as a PDF file or just view it online. It covers over 400 prospects and includes a top 100 draft board. If there's anything you want to know about a player in this draft this is the place to go for the info. The link below is from myfootballnews.com and if you are a draft aficionado you won't pass up this draft guide.

http://www.myfootballnews.com/product/2016-Guide

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

There has been some NFL news this week as teams prepare for the draft next week.

Denver has signed RB Ronnie Hillman to a one year deal. Hillman had a breakout season a couple of years ago as he finally was able to remain healthy for the entire season. He has actually been the main running back for the Broncos despite them drafting Montee Ball and later CJ Anderson. Hillman actually led the Broncos in carries and rushing yards last season but late in the season Hillman just wasn't as effective running the ball as Anderson who took over as the lead back. Hillman was totally ineffective in the playoff run to their Super Bowl victory gaining a meager 1.7 YPC in the playoffs. Hillman was a free agent this off season but his poor showing late in the season probably scared off potential interest in him. The deal Hillman signed was worth $2MM with $600K in guarantees.

The appeal to the NFL of the player tampering case by the Kansas City Chiefs was denied yesterday meaning the penalties levied by the NFL, a loss of this year's 3rd round draft pick and next year's 6th rounder was upheld. Fines levied on the Chiefs and on head coach Andy Reid were reduced slightly from $250K to $200K for the Chiefs and from $75K to $60K for Andy Reid by commissioner Roger Goodell. The case stems from the accusation that the Chiefs illegally recruited WR Jeremy Maclin in March of 2015 while Maclin was still a Philadelphia Eagle.

Former NFL players lost the appeal of the $1 Billion settlement of concussion law suits by the NFL in a federal appeals court in Philadelphia. The plan was to compensate NFL players suffering from concussion related injuries over the next 65 years. There is a clause granting a $4MM settlement for prior deaths but the cutoff date for such settlements was April of 2015. The thinking behind this clause was to not incentivize suicide.

In more pleasant news, the Miami Dolphins have claimed DL Chris Jones, who was released by the Patriots in a surprise move last week, off waivers. This move bolsters an already tough defensive front that includes Ndomukong Suh, Cameron Wake and newly signed free agent Mario Williams.

The Rams have already made their first QB move of the off season. They made a 1st round tender offer to RFA QB Case Keenum and yesterday he signed the offer sheet making him an LA Ram. The Rams have made the biggest off season splash by orchestrating a deal with Tennessee to move from #15 to #1 in the draft and speculation is they will be taking either Carson Wentz or Jared Goff with that 1st pick. My signing the tender Keenum with be paid in the neighborhood of $3.6 MM for his services this season. The fact the Rams have invested so much in Keenum and given the fact that the Rams will likely draft a QB, this sort of makes Nick Foles sort of the odd man out.

And still the Jets and Ryan Fitzpatrick have not reached an agreement on a new deal. With this in mind, despite the fact the Jets under new head coach Todd Boles had a really nice season last year, you could project that the Jets could be in the market for a QB like Paxton Lynch. This adds some drama to the already crowded list of teams who could be interested in a QB. Certainly the Broncos need a QB but a team like Arizona with an aging QB Carson Palmer might be looking for their QB of the future. Dallas is in the same boat but they have advantage the Broncos and Cardinals don't have--the 4th pick in the draft. If Dallas covets their QBOTF (QB of the future) enough I wonder if they would take Lynch even though he is projected late 1st round, early 2nd in the draft. It's the only way Dallas can guarantee they will get a top flight QB in the draft.

Finally, on a lighter note, the Tennessee Titans held a movie night on the field of their home stadium Nisson Stadium for their season ticket holders. The problem was the Titans ground crew forgot to turn off the sprinkler system and a boat load of season ticket holders and their families were drenched! For a team in extreme rebuilding mode it's not good community relations to soak the fans that help pay for that rebuilding effort.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...off-sprinklers

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

The Eagles have made a deal with Cleveland to move up to the 2nd pick in the draft from their present spot at #8. Details in the link below.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ck-from-browns

IMO this a great deal for the Browns and a risky as heck move for Philly because of all they sacrificed to move up. If the #2 pick is a bust the Eagles are screwed for several years to come. The Browns look to have made out better than the Tennessee Titans who traded their #1 overall pick to the Rams last week. The Browns get a higher first round draft pick and they get another 2 picks in this draft besides as well as a 1st pick in 2017 and a 2nd rounder in 2018. If the #2 pick is a bust then Philly will be like the kid whose parents went to Hawaii and all he got was that damn T-shirt.

Since yesterday the San Diego Chargers have let it be known they are shopping their #3 pick in the draft so the pre draft wheeling and dealing may not be over. It's almost a certainty the only taker would be somebody wanting to draft Jalen Ramsey. I wonder if Dallas is listening to calls wanting a trade up to #4? Dallas just may feel it's worth it to trade down and take Paxton Lynch. This draft is going to be quite interesting for sure.

In another WTF move in the NFL today the Carolina Panthers rescinded the franchise tag designation on CB Josh Norman immediately making him an unrestricted free agent. The reason for the Panther's move is being reported that Carolina sees no hope in signing Norman to a long term deal and rather than pay what amounts to very expensive rent for the player they decided to cut bait on Norman. Anyone need an All Pro caliber CB? Yeah, that's what I thought. Let the feeding frenzy begin.

Here is NFL.com's assessment of the winners and losers as a result of today's Eagles-Browns deal. Some I agree with and some I don't.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...esbrowns-trade

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

It didn't take long for CB Josh Norman to find work after he was made a free agent by the Carolina Panthers earlier this weed. Yesterday Norman was signed to a contract by the Washington Redskins. He didn't get chump change either after he declined to sign the franchise offer sheet offered by the Panthers which was for $13.9 MM cashed in big after the Panthers rescinded the offer on Wednesday. The Redskins agree to pay Norman $75 MM over 5 years with $50 MM guaranteed. Norman is now the highest paid CB in the NFL. Norman is 29 so this is the big payday and it makes the Redskins pretty formidable as he will pair with Beshaud Breeland with Will Blackmon and Quinton Dunbar as added depth.

Giants WR Victor Cruz who didn't play a down in 2015 as a result of torn patellar tendon and a nagging calf injury that required surgery has said he will be ready for training camp 100% guaranteed. It's great news for the Giants who had Odell Beckham have a breakout season in 2015 because it gives the G-men a scary 1-2 WR punch.

With the Eagles making a deal for the 2nd pick in the draft going along with all the deals they have made this off season and with Dallas having the 4th pick in the draft and an early round pick in every round it looks like the NFC East is making a bid to get back to being the toughest division in the NFL.

The thing about being an average QB there is always a market for his services. Since he was released by Houston this past week his name has been linked to the NY Jets and Denver Broncos. Whether or not he is signed by either of the teams remains to be seen. The Jets are balking on making a deal with Ryan Fitzpatrick who led the Jets out of obscurity to a respectable 10-6 record and just missed the playoffs. Fitz also developed and good chemistry with his receivers Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker. At last report the Jets and Fitz are a long way off in contract negotiations. Hoyer, quite frankly would be a poor substitute for Fitz but the Jets new GM is playing hardball over his contract most likely because of Fitz's age 33 but a 3 or 4 year deal may not be out of the question.

The Cleveland Browns have been purging their roster of aging players as they begin rebuilding the team under new GM Sashi Brown and new head coach Hue Jackson. For the first time in a long time an owner, in this case Jimmy Haslam, has bought into the new direction Brown and Jackson want to take the team. This included making a deal this past week with the Eagles that allowed the Eagle to move up to the 2nd pick in the draft while the Browns will now pick at #8 to go along with the 5 additional draft picks they got in the deal. Besides a draft pick windfall the Browns got a bit of good news at the Brown opening press conference when the off season program began on Monday. Barkevius Mingo, the 6th pick in the 2013 draft has been a major disappointment for the Browns to this point. But, in the off season Mingo began training with a very special trainer in Dallas. Here is a link to the NFL.com article about Mingo's transformation.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ngo-get-jacked

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

San Diego wants to keep their Chargers. Chargers players want to stay in San Diego. Over the weekend there was a rally in the San Diego that include such players as Phillip Rivers and former Charger LaDanian Tomlinson trying to rally support to keep the Chargers from leaving for LA. Even the commish, Roger Goodell said he thinks San Diego ought to stay put. Goodell even said that a new stadium in San Diego would make this southern California town a prime location to host a Super Bowl. To back up this statement the NFL has committed to a $300 MM contribution for a stadium solution in the downtown area of San Diego.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...g-in-san-diego

I am all for this. I still call the Baltimore franchise the Colts sometimes. While I love the Texans I wish Houston still had the Oilers and after a long time displaced from LA the Rams are moving back and it alleviates my sense of how wrong it's been to call the Rams the St Louis Rams when in my heart they have been the Los Angeles Rams. I don't like it when franchises move. The Arizona Cardinals never has sounded right to me. They are the St Louis football Cardinals. Any Cardinal team has to be from St Louis. I'm not against Arizona having a team or Indianapolis, for that matter, but they should have their own name. I'm old enough that the Colts really and truly belong in Baltimore. I think the Ravens should move to Indy and the Colt go back to Baltimore where they began. The Arizona Prospectors would be a great name for that team in tribute to the gold and silver mines that flourished in the old west. There is one other name that needs to go back to it's original incarnation and that's the Patriots ought to go back to being the BOSTON Patriots. Just because they moved to Foxborough which is roughly 38 minutes from Boston they included all of New England in the name? It's a suburb of Boston for goodness sake. The Cowboys didn't rename themselves the North Texas Cowboys when they moved to Irving and recently to Arlington did they? Hell no. Why are you people trampling on my sense of serenity by changing the traditional names of our franchises? It drives me crazy. Why did Seattle have to sacrifice the Super Sonics to become the Oklahoma City Thunder? Way back in the day New Orleans lost their franchise to Utah, name and all. In the Mormon dominated state of Utah how does "the Jazz" fit? Now NOLA has a team and they're called the Pelicans, maybe the ugliest bird and mascot ever. Gangs and violence caused the Washington franchise to change it's name from the Bullets to the Wizards which, when you think about it, is appropriate considering how fast the politicians in DC can make our money disappear. The Astros are an American League team now and that still rubs me the wrong way. There is the ongoing debate over the Washington football franchise's name. If the Native Americans have their way and get Washington to abandon the name it's another change that is going to drive me crazy. I hate change. Most people do. Change upsets people's sense of security and wellbeing.
    So why am I rambling on about this? Because, I want to take my mind off the draft that begins Thursday because I am so ready for something positive from the NFL. The Rockets and the Astros both stink right now and there's nothing else to fill the void. Last year the Astros were flying high exceeding all expectations but this year they are falling way short of where most folks thought they'd be. The Rockets are a mess. It seemed like the Game 3 win over Golden State was enough for them and they are ready to fold up their tents and head into the off season. The flat out quit in the 2nd half of yesterday's game, especially with Steph Curry going down with a knee injury, spoke volumes about the lack of heart this team has. So there is only the draft and there is so much cause for hope for the Texans and Cowboys you can't help but get excited. It will be a glorious 3 days as the jumping off point to 3 months of nothing NFL until training camp begins in August.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

There is no justice in this world, none whatsoever. The deflate-gate has come full circle as the US 2nd Court of Appeals has overturned the US District Court ruling that the NFL and Roger Goodell's 4 game suspension of Tom Brady in the deflate-gate incident in the AFC Championship game 2 years ago will be reinstated. The district court ruled that the commissioner acted within the rules of the collective bargaining agreement. It doesn't say what a toolbag Goodell was in such a harsh punishment for an equipment violation. The harshest punishment for an equipment violation prior to deflate-gate was $10K. For the Patriots it cost them their first round pick in this year's draft and a $1MM. For Tom Brady it cost him 4 games, his reputation and untold cash for the lawyers to fight the case. Rich as Brady is he can't fight the mega millions the NFL has for it's war chest. Follow the money, wasn't it inevitable that the NFL won? Brady can still appeal but the Goodell it seems has been on a witch hunt for the Patriots for years. Some of his vindictiveness is warranted because of the cheating Bill Belichick did filming Jets practices but the extent to which Goodell persecuted Brady and the Patriots is a clear abuse of his power and to do something like this and cost the NFL and the Patriots and Brady millions of dollars over such a trivial matter is beyond reprehensible. Hell, the Patriots have successfully refuted the claims the ball were even deflated artificially by using science to prove the air pressure in the balls were subject to extreme temperature conditions between the warm locker room and the frigid field temps. This is such a crock of bull squirt. This comes down to a pissing contest between two rich guys and the richer of the two won. Excuse me, I believe I'm going to be sick. What I love is The Donald, Mr Trump to you and me, was in New England and he was quoted as saying, "First of all, let's start by saying, leave Tom Brady alone! Leave him alone. Leave him alone," Trump said, drawing wild cheers from New England-area supporters. "He's a great guy. It's enough, it's enough." For once Don I completely agree with you.

It took a few days for Sam Bradford to decide on a course of action after his team, the Philadelphia Eagle mortgaged their short term future to move up to the 2nd pick in the draft with the apparent goal of draft the left over between Carson Wentz and Jared Goff. The deal by Philly was crazy from one standpoint. In March they signed Bradford to a deal as well as signing career backup Chase Daniels to a healthy deal. If the Eagles do draft a QB at #2 they will likely have as much as $22+ MM tied up in QB's. Now Bradford has announced that he will no longer participate in the Eagles voluntary off season program because he wants a trade. He sees the writing on the wall and he doesn't want to be a stop-gap QB while the Eagles groom his replacement. I'm sure the Broncos have taken note of the deal and could be quite interested in Bradford.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

NFL PRE-DRAFT COVERAGE

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock. Just a matter of hours now and the Christmas in April begins! The anticipation for the draft for NFL fans is on a par with the excitement you had when you were a kid waiting on Santa Claus on Christmas Eve, isn't it? It is for me. I honestly have that attitude. Christmas isn't nearly as exciting as an event to me as it was when I was a kid. I still love Christmas for what the true meaning is but I don't get geeked up about it like I did when I was a kid waiting on opening presents on Christmas morning. The draft is the most anticipated day of the year, maybe even more than opening day of each season because it when teams open their presents and fans get to enjoy the process. Sometimes you get a great gift that you have been wanting all year and sometime you get a pair of socks or some underwear. Sometimes you get a crappy gift but unlike Christmas when you have to be polite and act happy, in the draft you don't worry about politeness. If you get a player you consider a lump of coal you can just vent as much as you want. Either way you get an emotional release and sometimes that lump of coal is actually a diamond in the rough and you are happy again. It may be a year or two later when the diamond emerges but it's enough time to have plausible deniability about ever doubting the pick! Like Christmas, the drafts gives us another excuse to throw a party or go to a sports bar and be a part of the social event. You get to drink, eat nachos and raise hell. It's now 9:50 AM which means it is less than 9 hours away. Like Flounder in "Animal House" says with barely concealed glee, "Oh boy! Is this great!".

Other news that flying a bit under the radar right now is the possibility that Oakland could move to Las Vegas pending an aye vote for a new stadium. I had a post last week bitching about how I hate change. I don't mind expansion but I don't want the teams I have associated with a particular city to move. It upsets my sense of order and to do that to an OCD type like me is almost cruel. I never did get used to calling the Raiders the Los Angeles Raiders when they moved for a short time to LA. They are the freaking OAKLAND Raiders dammit! I really think if the Raiders ownership wants to move to greener pastures, go for it. I think the Oakland community ought to do what Cleveland did when their franchise moved to Baltimore, force the team to leave the franchise name behind. If the Raiders move to Las Vegas they should leave their name and logo in Oakland because there will be a new owner cartel rise up and bring a new franchise to Oakland the old name and logo will be there like it was when Cleveland got a new franchise. If the Raiders morph into the Las Vegas Prospectors, or the Gamblers, or the Desert Rats I'm all in. New is new and I can handle that but there is no room for a pirate logo like the Raiders works in the desert.

What is the deal with rich people with bad haircuts? Trump's hair is the poster child of a bad rich guy doo but there are plenty more. How about Mark Cuban's doo? Not good for a billionaire who can definitely afford a better barber. Shoot, you have the money for a hair transplant so a really obviously bad comb over shouldn't be necessary. Then you have the guy who is the owner of the Raiders Marc Davis. What's up with that guy. Is he going for a little dutch boy look? Or is it a Moe Howard Three Stooges look? His old man, Al Davis had his own unique look with the slicked down, 50's do-wop doo but, it wasn't hideous like this!!! This isn't a bad comb over, the man has hair. When he gets ready for his day and he looks in the mirror does he think, "Man, I am killing it today!"? Are rich people this delusional? wow.

You know that the draft process is ready to begin when a story surfaces yesterday that Ohio State CB Eli Apple has no life skills because he doesn't know how to cook. Apple is a first round talent that has had mud thrown on him because it was a slow day prior to the draft. I think most draft people will ignore this load of crap put out there by NFL.com because it is just that, a load of crap. I can't believe the folks at NFL.com who edit their content didn't roll their eyes and ask the reporter, "Really? -- Really?". So it was talked about long enough to point out this is a load of crap story and Eli Apple's draft stock shouldn't be affected by this story. Sheesh, somebody was bored to tears to think this was a real story.

Now less than 8 hours to Christmas--I mean the draft.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Well, Brian Hoyer didn't stay unemployed long. Sunday da Bears signed Hoyer to a one year $2MM deal to back up Jake Cutler in Chicago. Good move for them. Hoyer isn't good enough to be a full time starter but he is a good backup. It's no shame to be a backup. A lot of guys have made a good living being career backups.

The Redskins cut CB Chris Culliver who was a year into a 4 year $32MM deal. Things didn't go well for Culliver since he signed his deal. He lost his guaranteed money when he was suspended for violations of the NFL personal conduct policy and he tore his ACL and MCL in November which ended his season. The Redskins originally said they would bring Culliver back for his 2nd year until they signed CB Josh Norman from Carolina in free agency. Culliver parlayed a good 2014 season with the San Francisco felons-er-49ers into a deal with the Redskins last year. Culliver is a very big risk at this point as he is coming off ACL, MCL and the dreaded microfracture surgery. He has been cleared medically but recovering from microfracture surgery takes every bit of two years meaning Culliver won't be his old self until 2017. In March of 2014 Culliver originally was charged with misdemeanor hit and run and felony possession of brass knuckles for his involvement in an incident, in which he hit a bicyclist and fled the scene, and he subsequently threatened a citizen with brass knuckles. His attorneys argued for the felony charge be reduced to a misdemeanor. In June of 2015 Culliver pleaded guilty to two misdemeanors to resolve the case. The NFL league office decided Culliver had violated the league personal conduct policy and suspended him for one game without pay. Culliver was on the same team with other 49ers who got into altercations with the law since 2012 like Aldon Smith, Bruce Miller, Ray McDonald, Daniel Kilgore, Al Netter and Demarcus Dobbs. Smith has been arrested 5 times on various charges and Ray McDonald twice.

Tampa Bay cut kicker Connor Barth after drafting the best kicker in the draft this past weekend. The Bucs drafted Robert Aguayo from Florida State which meant that Barth knew he would soon be unemployed. Barth will get a chance somewhere because the guys in the good-old-boys-kickers-club always seem to end up on their feet.

The Chiefs exercise their 5th year option on 2013 draftee OL Eric Fisher. Fisher was the 1st pick that draft and he finally came into his own last season. Good for him.

Here's an article from NFL.com listing all 32 draft picks in the 2013 draft who are eligible for teams to exercise that 5th year option.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...rstround-picks

Do you think that Rex Ryan and Bills signing Rob Gronkowski's little brother Glen is a little tweek to Bill Belichick? Uh, maybe!

Lamar ex-WR Reggie Begelton will be brought in to try out at Atlanta's rookie camp. Reggie was a UFA for Atlanta last year. Also Lamar ex Cody Elenz was signed as a UFA by Atlanta. Nice job guys and good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

The Bills have signed OT Cordy Glenn to a 5 year deal worth up to $65MM. Glenn is the first NFL player who was tagged with the franchise player designation to signed to a long term deal.

S Keanu Neal is the first 1st round draft pick from this year's draft to agree to his contract. He scheduled to officially sign the deal tomorrow. Neal, a former Florida Gator was drafted with the 17th pick in the draft by Atlanta. Depending on which draft ranking board you looked at going into the draft Neal was either the 1st, 2nd or 3rd best safety in the draft and it's a shame that a lot of pundits accused Atlanta of reaching for the player by drafting him too soon. Since the draft the Falcons GM Thomas Dimitrov has spent most of his time defending the pick. Neal is a 6'1" 211 lbs hitting machine. He is said to be better working downhill toward the line of scrimmage rather than in coverage but that is all sour grapes when you consider that CBSSports.com had him ranked as the top SS in this class.

I have seen nothing but "F's" for Cleveland's draft class. After Cleveland traded back with the Rams and gave up the #1 pick in the draft to stock up on draft picks as the new regime in Cleveland looked to jump start their rebuilding effort. I can't explain it but I have soft spot in my heart for the Browns and I'd like to see them climb out of the muck and make some noise in the AFC North. So, I decided to judge their draft myself to see if I agree.

Rd 1 - WR Corey Coleman (Baylor) - The Browns are getting ripped for this pick since Josh Doctson, Will Fuller and Lequan Treadwell were still available. Coleman is fast and he makes plays. I see no issue with this pick. A
    Rd 2 - DE Emmanuel Ogbah (Okla St) - One of the top ranked pass rushers in the draft many felt was very underrated going in. Not a bad pick at all. B+
    Rd 3 - DE Carl Nassib (Penn St) - This is a guy you can plug in on the strong side opposite Ogbah. Pass rushers were at a premium in this draft and while he may have gone a little high it's still a good pick. B+
    Rd 3 - OT Shon Coleman (Auburn) - Great back story as a he was diagnosed with leukemia in 2010. He is a feel good story of a cancer survivor but he's not a bad OT. He has experience at both tackle positions and he can step right in and contribute. B+
    Rd 3 - QB Cody Kessler (USC) - There were a lot of higher ranked QB's in the draft but new head coach Hue Jackson loves him some Cody. RGIII is the guy but if Griffin is unsalvageable for one reason or another Kessler will be Jackson's QB of the future. Cleveland actually has 5 QB's on the roster now but RGIII and Kessler are the clear favorites going forward. Kessler completed 67.5% of his passes as a 3 year starter at USC and ran a pro style offense so his transition should be easier than for guys like Wentz and Lynch who went in the 1st round. The downside to Kessler is he's only 6'1'' but not being the prototypical height hasn't mattered to Russell Wilson yet. C+
    Rd 4 - LB Joe Schobert (Wisconsin) - I have looked at this guy doing mock drafts and I like this player. He's productive and he has size and speed and will be a good fit in a 4-3 defense or 3-4 on the inside. For the value and the spot where he was taken it is a very nice pick. A-
    Rd 4 - WR Ricardo Louis (Auburn) - A very fast and athletic guy who is very raw. He needs work on his route running and he drops way too many balls. He is a project guy who was taken way too early with better receivers still on the board. D+
    Rd 4 - S Derrick Kindred (TCU) - Got to give respect to a guy who played the entire season with a messed up collar bone. You know the kid is tough as nails and he's going to give you everything he has on the field. He played pretty well injured and he should be healthy going into the season. C+
    Rd 4 - WR/TE Seth Devalve (Princeton) - Another reach at WR. Because of his size he will likely be a TE in Cleveland. He had so-so production at Princeton because of foot issue that required surgery to correct. As he goes into training camp he should literally be feeling better than he has in his life physically. Still a reach with much better players available. D
    Rd 5 - WR Jordan Payton (UCLA) - This is a much better pick and a good value as well. Peyton is a possession receiver who just makes plays. He's reliable and he's not afraid to go over the middle. In the past two seasons Payton had 151 catchable balls and only 6 drops. Holy crap! He is the all time leader in receptions at UCLA and he will add a lot to the Browns. A+
    Rd 5 - OT Spencer Drango (Baylor) - Good pick and a great value at the end of the 5th round. He needs to work on his pass blocking but he is a really good run blocker and in Cleveland with the wind whipping off Lake Erie in November and December you need to run the ball. B+
    Rd 5 - WR Rashard Higgins (Colo St) - Very productive receiver in college leading the Buffs all time in rec yards, TD's and catches in his career there. Higgins was ranked much higher and therefore is a very good value here. A-
    Rd 5 - CB Trey Caldwell (Louisiana-Monroe) - A small school guy who is small in stature (5'9'', 188 lbs). Cleveland needed CB help in the draft and they passed in the 3rd and 4 rounds on better players than this. I root for small school guys but Caldwell has a huge mountain to climb. F
    Rd 7 - ILB Scooby Wright (Arizona) - Again, for the spot he was drafted Wright is pretty good value. At 6'0'' and 239 lbs he's undersized to play in the middle of an NFL team but he was the 5th ranked ILB according CBSSports.com. Wright is a better player than athlete because he has exceptional instincts and anticipation. He is coming off a meniscus tear similar to Myles Jack's so you can't be sure of what you are going to get from him but in the 7th round he's at least a good value pick in this spot. C-

That's it. 14 draft picks. It seemed like every time you turned around Cleveland was on the clock. I like most of their picks but I also think they wasted a lot on questionable receivers. Depending on your point of view Cleveland drafted either 4 or 5 WR's. No RB's and no DT's and their linebacker picks weren't great at all. They did try to give RGIII some weapons to work with receiver-wise but the actually swung and missed with their 3rd and 4th round picks. I have to scratch my head a little over how they used the many 3rd, 4th and 5th round picks they had. I don't think they scored an F but I'd have to say they only got a C in my book.