Will Davis new Lamar Baseball Coach

luco77

The post on Tiger rant has been taken down but google has it up. Rumor is one of the current assistants family found out on the blog before he could tell them.

https://www.google.com/search?safe=strict&espv=2&q=will+davis+lamar&oq=will+davis+lamar&gs_l=serp.3...3109.10272.0.11087.18.17.1.0.0.0.104.1153.16j1.17.0....0...1c.1.64.serp..0.15.926.UO-zSRefM54

What that means is that he was running LSU camps, Volunteer, No Experience, No Credability but im sure HES CHEAP!!!! Our coaches family found out via blog which is horrible. If i was current coaches i would take the first job offerd regardless in season or not. Great job Lamar Baseball, make me proud i ever put on a uniform.

Cplatt

Kendall Rogers who is very in-tune with college baseball is reporting now as well.

[tweet]688011277969551360[/tweet]

Rogers mentions that few in the coaching industry are surprised Davis is getting a HC gig...in other words he's well thought of in the coaching ranks.

Obviously everyone looks at the "Volunteer Assistant" tag and having almost no action in the college game but consider this...he's been the 3rd base coach for one of (if not the) premier college baseball programs in the country...you think LSU HC Paul Mainieri is gonna put any old Joe Shmo out there?? If that buy believes in him that much then he might just be the shot in the arm this program needs.

Also, you are going to find negative things about coaches on message board all the time...I'd take all that with a grain of salt. We over analyze mistakes and turn to a keyboard to vent...I've been guilty in the past and those rabid LSU fans are much worse. The guy knows what it's like to be a winner and I'm sure he will expect that at Lamar.

Good lord all you negative folks on this board.. Guy hasn't even coached a baseball game and you are saying he sucks.... Give the dude a chance. lets look at what everyone wanted...

1)someone from a larger program.... ( LSU is one of the best in the country). I am sure his recruiting ties are great from this as well.

2)someone not in our current program...

3)someone young that wants to grow a program. he meets both criteria.

Guy has a pedigree and seems to be a hard worker. Don't sell him short because of his title... only 3 coaches can be paid including the head coach.

He is young, hungry, comes from a larger program, has experience at the highest levels as both a player and a coach, has learned from some of the best coaches out there for eight years, was a very key cog in the LSU recruiting machine, has consistently produced some of the best defensive out fields in the NCAAs in the past several years, is responsible for recruiting several MLB draft picks, and is not costing Lamar an arm and a leg. I say this is one hell of a hire by the Lamar Athletic Director. Don't listen to all of the nay-sayers and negative-nancies on this board. They are just butt hurt that Patton or Rickelfsen did not get hired. Welcome to the family Coach Davis!

Good lord all you negative folks on this board.. Guy hasn't even coached a baseball game and you are saying he sucks.... Give the dude a chance. lets look at what everyone wanted...

1)someone from a larger program.... ( LSU is one of the best in the country). I am sure his recruiting ties are great from this as well.

2)someone not in our current program...

3)someone young that wants to grow a program. he meets both criteria.

Guy has a pedigree and seems to be a hard worker. Don't sell him short because of his title... only 3 coaches can be paid including the head coach.

I think the main thing is that everyone is pissed about is the admin strung this thing out so long to prevent JR or SH from looking else where. Then JR's wife finds out from a blog before he can tell her is crap. JR should've had a chance.

Edited by luco77

He is young, hungry, comes from a larger program, has experience at the highest levels as both a player and a coach, has learned from some of the best coaches out there for eight years, was a very key cog in the LSU recruiting machine, has consistently produced some of the best defensive out fields in the NCAAs in the past several years, is responsible for recruiting several MLB draft picks, and is not costing Lamar an arm and a leg. I say this is one hell of a hire by the Lamar Athletic Director. Don't listen to all of the nay-sayers and negative-nancies on this board. They are just butt hurt that Patton or Rickelfsen did not get hired. Welcome to the family Coach Davis!

If you're gonna name the coaches by name get them right and spell them right.

Kendall Rogers who is very in-tune with college baseball is reporting now as well.

[tweet]688011277969551360[/tweet]

Rogers mentions that few in the coaching industry are surprised Davis is getting a HC gig...in other words he's well thought of in the coaching ranks.

Obviously everyone looks at the "Volunteer Assistant" tag and having almost no action in the college game but consider this...he's been the 3rd base coach for one of (if not the) premier college baseball programs in the country...you think LSU HC Paul Mainieri is gonna put any old Joe Shmo out there?? If that buy believes in him that much then he might just be the shot in the arm this program needs.

Also, you are going to find negative things about coaches on message board all the time...I'd take all that with a grain of salt. We over analyze mistakes and turn to a keyboard to vent...I've been guilty in the past and those rabid LSU fans are much worse. The guy knows what it's like to be a winner and I'm sure he will expect that at Lamar.

Here's a link to the bio of another "volunteer assistant" who didn't turn out too badly for the Cardinals. (The Lamar baseball stadium carries his name.)

In 1973, Vincent rejoined Lamar, voluntarily, as a special assistant coach to new baseball coach Jim Gilligan. With Vincent’s assistance, Lamar won three conference championships and more than 200 games.

http://lamarcardinals.com/mobile/hof.aspx?hof=149

I'm for giving Coach Davis a chance.

Do you even watch Lamar Baseball? It is HATTEN not Patton. It has been HATTEN for 16 years....

I think the main thing is that everyone is pissed about is the admin strung this thing out so long to prevent JR or SH from looking else where. Then JR's wife finds out from a blog before he can tell her is crap. JR should've had a chance.

Strung out? The guy isn't taking over until after the season...still have the entire season and off season if the current assistants decide to go else where or if Davis doesn't decide to keep them. I don't see how it's the Lamar admin's fault if the news was leaked on an LSU message board before JR could tell her...

This has kept Jimmy and Scott from looking elsewhere. You are correct. The shame in all of this is, the time spent dragging them along. They both have families with children and are settled in their lives in this area.

How UNPROFESSIONAL for JR's wife to find out from a blog. One of the many jerk moves of the AD and Gilligan. This is all political and probably a favor to Maneri....

Strung out? The guy isn't taking over until after the season...still have the entire season and off season if the current assistants decide to go else where or if Davis doesn't decide to keep them. I don't see how it's the Lamar admin's fault if the news was leaked on an LSU message board before JR could tell her...

and most openings are posted in the fall for the spring. if they knew they were going to replace JR, they could have had the decency to let him know so he could have applied elsewhere. Unless you know the whole story, don't make assumptions about why the strung him along....once again, it's all political.

college sports is a business and sometimes its not fair.both coaches i assume can finish the season and be looking for jobs.in the end we got the right guy and as a fan thats what i want my university to do.i hate that it couldn't be a smooth transition for these coaches but it rarely is.

and most openings are posted in the fall for the spring. if they knew they were going to replace JR, they could have had the decency to let him know so he could have applied elsewhere. Unless you know the whole story, don't make assumptions about why the strung him along....once again, it's all political.

You just made my point...if Davis takes over AFTER the 2016 season, then other jobs would be posted in the fall of 2016 for the 2017 season. Also, a vast majority of the time new coaches are allowed retain assistants if they want...sometimes they like to for numerous reasons (recruiting relationships, knowledge of the current player, etc.). It's still possible that Davis could offer the current guys to stay but they probably wouldn't accept it if they feel they were passed over for the HC gig. I think people who are close to JR and SH are the ones who are upset. As someone who wants what is best for the program, I like the move. And again you can't fault the admin for the info being taken to an LSU message board...

Do you even watch Lamar Baseball? It is HATTEN not Patton. It has been HATTEN for 16 years....

Excuse my phone for auto correcting a name. As for do I even watch? I only missed 4 games in the past four seasons so I would say that I have most likely seen more games than you.

Edited by Big T