Reports: Trey Haverty To Be New DC

KABrother88

I've always been for hiring young hungry coaches at Lamar but Haverty has no coordinator experience, played offense in college and was fired during the season by a former teammate from his alma-mater. This would be an interesting hire to say the least. Promoting Criner would've made more sense.

Tech has more that coaching issues on the defensive side right now...there are serious personnel issues and have been for the last few years. While this hire isn't a big splash, I'll hold off on judgement until I've seen his defense in action. He did have one year of DC experience at D-III Millsaps College. Having spent 5 seasons under Gary Patterson at TCU bodes well since Patterson is a defensive minded coach. Also just because someone coaches the opposite side of the ball as were they played doesn't mean they don't know what they are doing. A&M's HC Kevin Sumlin has been known for his offenses (except for the 2nd halves of the last 2 seasons) yet he played LB in college.

Tech has more that coaching issues on the defensive side right now...there are serious personnel issues and have been for the last few years. While this hire isn't a big splash, I'll hold off on judgement until I've seen his defense in action. He did have one year of DC experience at D-III Millsaps College. Having spent 5 seasons under Gary Patterson at TCU bodes well since Patterson is a defensive minded coach. Also just because someone coaches the opposite side of the ball as were they played doesn't mean they don't know what they are doing. A&M's HC Kevin Sumlin has been known for his offenses (except for the 2nd halves of the last 2 seasons) yet he played LB in college.

The five years on Patterson staff is a big plus. He's one of the best defensives minds in football. Here's a great breakdown on his scheme:

http://grantland.com/features/hard-knocks-playing-defense-with-tcus-gary-patterson/

No idea how much if that he might implement (personell from a 3-4 to a 4-2-5 could be an issue), but the pattern matching and the way he seperates the calls for the front from the secondary would be something I wouldn't mine integrating.

Found this old discussion back in 2011 when Gary Patterson hired Haverty the second time to coach the safeties. Haverty seems to know Garry Patterson's 4-2-5 system real well and is a strong recruiter. I'm guessing that's a big reason Woodard hired him.

http://www.killerfrogs.com/msgboard/index.php?/topic/132040-ga-trey-haverty-new-safeties-coach/

A lot of people can coach, but can he recruit? Like others, being a defensive coach at TTech does not give me a warm fuzzy on this hire, but I guess we will see.

There are several aspects in being a college coach...obviously there is the aspect of coaching in terms of scheming and adjusting. Other things that define a college coach are his ability to not just recruit but to evaluate and pick what players they are going to recruit, project what those kids will do at the college level, then developing the talent that you sign. It appears we have some very good recruiters on staff in Coach Beasley, Coach Morgan, and Coach Langston. With Haverty being a younger guy, that helps him relate to HS kids better than an older coach as well.

Haverty said he plans to run a 4-2-5, the defense he learned during his five years as an assistant to Gary Patterson at TCU.

Between his three years as a graduate assistant at TCU and two years as a full-time assistant on the Horned Frogs’ staff, Haverty spent the 2010 season as defensive coordinator at Millsaps, a Division III program in Jackson, Mississippi.

He said that experience reinforced how enjoyable it is to call his own defense, no matter the level.

http://redraiders.com/filed-online/2016-01-21/trey-haverty-landing-lamar-job-grateful-guidance-unexpected-source#.VqKapZorKHs

Lamar makes it official

http://lamarcardinals.com/news/2016/1/26/FB_0126164852.aspx

Also the Beaumont Enterprise says that the spots vacant with the departure of Mark Criner (LB) and Carey Bailey (DL) are planned be filled by Feb. 1st and Feb 15th respectively.

http://m.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/lamar/article/Lamar-hires-ex-Red-Raiders-coach-Haverty-as-6783181.php