** 2016 FOOTBALL SIGNING DAY THREAD **

coachacola

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a request. Can somebody explain why many of you guys feel like this a good recruiting class? I'm not doubting your word but I am lazy and sometimes it's just nice to fed information rather than look it up. Did I say I was lazy? I honestly don't keep up with all the high school and Jr college talent so a little info would be nice.

I have a request. Can somebody explain why many of you guys feel like this a good recruiting class? I'm not doubting your word but I am lazy and sometimes it's just nice to fed information rather than look it up. Did I say I was lazy? I honestly don't keep up with all the high school and Jr college talent so a little info would be nice.

I'm way outside my area of expertise (if I ever had one), but it might be due to ratings from services like 247sports. I may have missed some, but I counted only three FCS universities with higher rated classes (Yale, Columbia, and Coastal Carolina), and one of those is beginning the transition to FBS. (Clicking on the "Natl Rank" link takes you to the full listing.)

http://lamar.247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/Commits

Hopefully, the recruiting gurus on the board can provide some insight.

On the surface, you can look at it as being a good class based off of rankings from national recruiting sites. Previously, Lamar was lucky to get 2-3 guys who had star rankings...this year we landed 12. And remember that both the Crosley brothers were 3 star guys until very late in the process when they were given the FCS downgrade so our ranking national ranking would have been higher had that not happened.

Also, this class we landed 6 guys who had reported FBS offers, 4 of which had multiple FBS offers, and 2 of those reported offers from Power 5 schools.

• Caleb Abrom (Arizona St, Arkansas St, Eastern Michigan)

• Jaylon Bowden (Idaho, Texas St, UTEP)

• Daniel Crosley (Houston, Louisiana Tech, UL-L)

• David Crosley (UL-L)

• Shane Hudson (Texas St)

• Shyler Staton (Air Force, Missouri)

I've been getting more and more into the film of the guys the last couple years and some of the guys in this class blow away what I've become accustomed to see from out recruits. This group's film as a whole just looks like a completely different athlete...and some of that even from the guys without stars.

All that said, recruiting rankings don't mean jack squat unless results are seen on the field. Previous recruiting classes have seen the signees with star rankings not live up to the billing for one reason or another...had 4 guys last year and 2 of them didn't even make it to the spring semester.

Also want to note that I have been told that there should be a local transfer from a major program coming in in August. Still a few things that need to be worked out so I can't reveal the name right now. Have also been told there is a possibility that one of the signees might not qualify academically.

Wow, KABro, my sincere thanks for the education. As I said before, I don't delve into the high school ranks and with the time I spend on writing about the Cowboys, Texans, Astros and the NFL in general I don't have much time left for looking at recruits coming to Lamar. I agree that this is a great signing class. For the people who like to bash coach Ray you gotta stop and give the man his props. I had a rather facetious post recently about wanting to see the success North Dakota State has enjoyed, especially over the last ten years or so. What the point of my post was exactly what seems to have happened here. No, we didn't hire anyone off the Bison's staff but we recruited pretty darn well.

I saw the note of caution there in your post as well. Just because we SEEM to have recruited well we won't know for sure until the light come on. We thought we hit the mother lode not long ago when we got players formerly at Oklahoma State to come to Lamar. If my feeble memory serves only Kevin Johnson lasted until he ran out of eligibility and he was not what we thought he could, or should, be. That said, I don't want to put a damper on the excitement this recruiting class brings to Lamar.

This may not be the right place to mention this but I was listening to the "Talkin Cowboys" podcast on Monday and the engineer on the show was miked up and during a discussion by the hosts about prospects to watch that included a noted Baylor D-lineman the engineer, who is a grad of Baylor mentioned how this prospect had shown some major potential but he also disappeared for several games last season too. This kicker was the engineer said, "...and I was banging my head on the wall watching Lamar march up and down the field on us. I'm all in on this guy but he will drive you crazy.". It's pretty clear that even a Baylor alum in the Dallas Metroplex was paying attention when LU put a scare into the folks in Waco last September.

• 1 month later...
Also want to note that I have been told that there should be a local transfer from a major program coming in in August. Still a few things that need to be worked out so I can't reveal the name right now.

Now that this is out there, this is the transfer I was eluding to. DB Terrance Singleton from Port Arthur will be transferring to Lamar from Baylor for his senior season.

http://m.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/lamar/article/Baylor-defender-Singleton-transferring-to-Lamar-7221557.php