1974 Lamar Football - Question for old timers

LUSportsFan

I'm working on creating Wikipedia season pages for the football team and have a question about the 1974 season. Based on some sources, it looks like Mississippi State and Southern Mississippi played at Cardinal Stadium that year. That's one of the seasons that the NCAA hasn't caught up on their archived documents so I don't have a season sheet to go by. Also, I was flying planes for the Air Force back then so I didn't attend the games.

Just wanted to make sure.

That was a great season by the way with losses only to Mississippi State and to Louisiana Tech. (Louisiana Tech was UPI Division II National Champion that year with a loss only to Central Michigan in the D II bowl game.)

I know Lamar played Southern Miss at the Superdome in 1975 and I was thinking the Cardinals played two games against Southern Miss at the Superdome.

thanks!!!!

By the way, it has been interesting going through the old days.

I'm working on creating Wikipedia season pages for the football team and have a question about the 1974 season. Based on some sources, it looks like Mississippi State and Southern Mississippi played at Cardinal Stadium that year. That's one of the seasons that the NCAA hasn't caught up on their archived documents so I don't have a season sheet to go by. Also, I was flying planes for the Air Force back then so I didn't attend the games.

Just wanted to make sure.

That was a great season by the way with losses only to Mississippi State and to Louisiana Tech. (Louisiana Tech was UPI Division II National Champion that year with a loss only to Central Michigan in the D II bowl game.)

I know Lamar played Southern Miss at the Superdome in 1975 and I was thinking the Cardinals played two games against Southern Miss at the Superdome.

thanks!!!!

By the way, it has been interesting going through the old days.

I found the answer in an old Lamar University "Red Bird" (predecessor to the University Press) article linked below. The article is titled "J.B. Higgins Announces 1971 Football Schedule". The Cardinals played Mississippi State in Hattiesburg in 1971 with the Bulldogs returning the favor in Beaumont in 1974.

http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth499252/m1/5/

I found the answer in an old Lamar University "Red Bird" (predecessor to the University Press) article linked below. The article is titled "J.B. Higgins Announces 1971 Football Schedule". The Cardinals played Mississippi State in Hattiesburg in 1971 with the Bulldogs returning the favor in Beaumont in 1974.

http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth499252/m1/5/

so miss is in Hattiesburg. Ms st is in Starkville.

I'm semi old and kinda remember southern miss. Don't recall miss state...

so miss is in Hattiesburg. Ms st is in Starkville.

I'm semi old and kinda remember southern miss. Don't recall miss state...

Just reread the 1971 article. It said Starkville; not Hattiesburg so it did apply to Mississippi State.

The Cardinals meet Mississippi State in Starksville (sic), Miss. on October 16 in the first of a two-game series. The Southeastern Conference school comes to Beaumont for a 1974 game.

So far, it looks like both Mississippi State and Southern Mississippi played in Beaumont in 1974. The Cardinals lost to Mississippi State and defeated Southern Mississippi that season.

Sorry for the confusion.

Just reread the 1971 article. It said Starkville; not Hattiesburg so it did apply to Mississippi State.

So far, it looks like both Mississippi State and Southern Mississippi played in Beaumont in 1974. The Cardinals lost to Mississippi State and defeated Southern Mississippi that season.

Sorry for the confusion.

I think Bob Frederick, followed by Ken Stephens fried the good LU football memories of my youth

Guest austinred
I think Bob Frederick, followed by Ken Stephens fried the good LU football memories of my youth

All of the past season records are in the Lamar Football media guide and they did host Mississippi State and Southern Miss. in 1974.

All of the past season records are in the Lamar Football media guide and they did host Mississippi State and Southern Miss. in 1974.

That's a great source! That's what I have been using as my main source for the Wikipedia pages. It's full of information, but I've found a few errors in the media guide like incorrect scores, etc. I've only run into less than a handful going from 1951 to current times which didn't tie with other sources, but it was enough for me to want additional sources just in case. That and I thought the Cardinals had played in the Superdome more than once (either Southern Mississsippi a second time or Mississippi State), but I might be confusing that with the season playing in the Astrodome and the Superdome. I was at the games in the Astrodome. I never made it to New Orleans. I made the game against Baylor in Beaumont also. I was back in town by that game.

I remember those years. I got back in town just before Frederick moved up from assistant to head coach. We had season tickets from that time until I got transferred out of area one season before they pulled the plug on the football program. I remember one of those games when my wife, daughter, and I pretty much had the stadium to ourselves. For that game, the weather was cold, wet and miserable, but we brought lots of blankets. Back then it was ok to bring in thermoses as long as they weren't the glass lined ones. (At least no one stopped us.) I had a great Stanley thermos that we filled with hot chocolate. No one stopped us from bringing umbrellas into the stadium either. (There wasn't anybody around us because the weather was so bad.) Even so, we had a great time in spite of the weather sipping hot chocolate bundled up and umbrellas overhead while watching the game. From that, we created our personal tradition of getting hot chocolate from the concession stands during the cold weather games. The concession stand hot chocolate is very good if you haven't tried it. :)

We missed all the '89 season except for the next to the last game which was in Lafayette. That was a very good game, but there was just a little too much Brian Mitchell for the Cardinals to pull out a win in that one.

I do remember how disgusted I was when it was announced that the program was being dropped. If I recall correctly, the spin was it would free up more money for the basketball program. It would have been great if that had happened, but it didn't.

To bring this into the current time...

We're looking forward to the upcoming season. I got confirmation of receipt of payment for the season tickets and parking so we're set for now. Just waiting on the packet as the season nears. The upcoming season home schedule appears to be the best, or at least one of the best since bringing the program back.

Edited by LUSportsFan

talked to to my buddy that I went to games with..he said yes, he went and it was awesome. (His dad had tickets , but was limited that game and I got left behind. Bastards!). Said Ms St fans showed up with cowbells and Cardinal Stadium was rocking. Hell, he even remembered their qb, Rockey Felker...said he was a badass.