Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Houston Astros Regular Season

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

2016 Houston Astros Regular Season

Of course the only thing that could put a damper on opening day is the weather. Guess what? The weather in New York sucks. It's cold and the 95% chance of rain pretty much means it's going to be a miserable day in the Bronx. Now, they could rain out and play tomorrow because it's an open day. The reason there is an open day after opening day is something I can't answer why but the forecast today is just terrible coming on the heels of a winter storm that saw snow fall from the Midwest to the northeast coast. The low overnight was 37o and tonight's overnight low is 23o with a high tomorrow of 41o! I don't understand why the new Yankee Stadium was built without a retractable roof given the climate in the Big Apple. I thought the same thing when they built the new Giants/Jets stadium in New Jersey. Why would you not build a covered stadium in a climate that gets really hot and extremely cold? Tuesday is supposed to be sunny but pretty cool, the high forecast to be 41o. Why don't they have a covered stadium? Stupid yankees. Todays game will probably not begin at 11 AM EDT, 12 PM CDT and I am so disappointed. There should not be a game in an open air stadium scheduled in early April from Chicago to Boston including New York. There are plenty of stadiums that do have covers, play there. Hell, even Milwaukee has a retractable roof stadium and it's a good thing too because it's colder than brass balls there now and that is Houston's weekend destination. You know they will be able to play without having to freeze to death so, there's that. If the games are actually able to be played in New York this week I pray that nobody gets hurt. If they have to wait until tomorrow to play it will at least be sunny and Wednesday is supposed to be decent too but Thursday has rain forecast. I hope the team, the starting pitchers especially, gets out of New York without an injury. Opening day in New York--sweet (that is dripping with sarcasm).

Here's my opening day lineup forecast (when and if they get to play).

1. 2B Jose Altuve
    2. RF George Springer
    3. SS Carlos Correa
    4. LF Colby Rasmus
    5. 3B Luis Valbuena
    6. CF Carlos Gomez
    7. DH Preston Tucker
    8. 1B Tyler White
    9. C Jason Castro

SP: Dallas Keuchel (We knew that already)

If was reported on the Bleacher Report that the Astros would name who their closer would be yesterday. If the Astros made a decision they either forgot to tell the media or the media forgot to report it. My guess it will be Ken Giles. AJ Hinch has an out on this one because last season's closer Luke Gregerson missed most of the spring with a strained muscle in his chest. That would be the reason Hinch could give rather than just admit Giles was paid a lot of money to come in and close for the Astros. That would be a bit of a slap in the face to Gregerson and Hinch is pretty conscientious about respecting his veteran players.

Here's a link from the Bleacher Report article grading the Astros opening day 25 man roster.

http://climbingtalshill.com/2016/04/...25-man-roster/

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: 2016 Houston Astros Regular Season

Damn, I hate it when I'm right sometimes. As I predicted earlier the Astros-Yankees game has already been postponed due to bad weather according to the Yankees twitter account. There has not been an official announcement as yet but there should be one soon. The game is scheduled to made up tomorrow when sunny skies are predicted but it will be a cool afternoon game as the high temperature tomorrow is only supposed to be 41o.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

This has got to be the best week in sports for the whole doggone year. Monday is opening day for baseball for all but a few teams, the finals of the NCAA men's basketball tournament and the Masters golf tournament. 3 teams actually began the 2016 MLB season on Sunday but the lion's share of teams began yesterday. I'm glad the Astros and Yankees was delayed a day because of weather because, in all honesty, the men's final last night deserved a day of its own. Don't tell Cinderella didn't come to this dance because when it was all said and done she won the whole darn thing. 'Nova was the 2 seed in a weak South regional bracket and nobody honestly thought they would go very far. But, like the Energizer Bunny they just kept going and going and going. One of the biggest surprises of the men's tourney was the absolute beat down of Oklahoma in the semi-final game on Saturday and the game last night was contrast in styles. 'Nova is a 3 point shooting team who shot lights out over the past 3 weeks while North Carolina runs off its low post game and dominance on the boards. It all came down to one last shot by 'Nova at the buzzer to break a 74-74 tie with yet another 3 ball to win the championship. It is the first time since NC State beat Houston's Phi Slamma Jamma team that featured Hakeem Olajuwon and Clyde Drexler with a last second dunk to complete the upset of the heavily favored Cougars. I'm glad Houston didn't have to lose their opening day to that game. Now today, the Astros will play their first game of the season in the Bronx on what is forecast to be a sunny but cool day. Keuchel vs Tanaka in a rematch of the AL Wild Card game last October. Nice. I've got my brand new Astros hat on and when I get off work I am going home and getting ready to go watch Lamar take on Nichols at the Beck. I want to see if the Cards can extend their current winning streak to 11 games. Baseball is in full swing now and my favorite golf tournament begins Thursday. Yep, best sports week ever.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Here we go folks. The 2016 baseball season is under way.

Top of the 1st

1. Altuve ground out 6-3 - 1 out
    2. Springer flies out F-8 - 2 out
    3. Correa strikes out swinging - 3 out

Astros 0 Yankees 0

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Bottom of 1st

1. Ellsbury strikes out swinging - 1 out
    2. Hick four pitch walk - Man on 1st 1 out
    3. Rodriguez hits into a double play 4U-3 - 3 out

Astros 0 Yankees 0

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Top of 2nd

4. Rasmus ground out 4-3 - 1 out
    5. Gomez strikes out swinging - 2 out
    6. Valbuena grounds out 3-1 - 3 out

Astros 0 Yankees 0

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Bottom of 2nd

4. Teixeira flies out F-7 - 1 out
    5 Beltran ground ball to center field - man on first 1 out
    6. McCann walks on 5 pitches - men on 1st and 2nd 1 out
    7 Headley grounds out 6-3; Beltran to 3rd and McCann to 2nd - 2 out
    8 Castro doubles to left; Beltran and McCann score - Yankees 2 Astros 0 2 out
    9 Gregorius grounds out 6-3 - 3 out

Astros 0 Yankees 2

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Pretty chilly in NY today. Currently sunny and 38o with a wind chill of 29o.

Top of 3rd

7 Tucker lines out to left F-7 - 1 out
    8 Gonzalez grounds out 3U - 2 out
    9 Castro flies out to left F-7 - 3 out

Astros 0 Yankees 2

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Bottom of 3rd

1 Ellsbury pops up to 3B F-5 - 1 out
    2 Hicks struck out looking - 2 out
    3 Rodriguez walks in 6 pitches - man on 1st w/ 2 out
    with Teixeira batting Rodriguez steals 2nd on a 2-2 count
    4 Teixeira walks on 7 pitches - men on 1st and 2nd w/ 2 out
    5 Beltran pops out to 2nd F-4 - 3 out

Astros 0 Yankees 2

Keuchel has walked 4 batters in his first 3 innings. Little off + a little squeezing by ump. Keuchel has worked hard in the 2nd and 3rd and he's thrown a total of 60 pitches in 3 innings.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Tanaka has faced the minimum so far and the top of the Astros order finally comes back up.

Top of 4th

1 Altuve doubles to left field on a 3-2 pitch - man on 2nd no out
    2 Springer on a 3-0 pitch get an infield hit to 3B; Altuve to 3rd Springer on 1st - no out
    3 Correa grounds to 3B; 5-4 out at 2nd; Altuve scores; Correa on 1st - 1 out Astros 1 Yankees 2
    4 Rasmus grounds softly to 2B 4-3; Correa to 3B - 2 out
    With Rasmus batting Correa steals 2B on a 2-1 count
    5 Gomez strikes out looking - 3 out

Shitty AB for Gomez. I don't like this guy but Tanaka got Rasmus and Gomez and stopped the bleeding.

Astros 1 Yankees 2

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Bottom of the 4th

6 McCann looping fly ball single to center field - man on 1B no out
    7 Headley strikes out swinging - man on 1B 1 out
    8 Castro grounds into a double play 5-4-3 - 3 out

Astros 1 Yankees 2

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Top of the 5th

6 Valbuena grounds out 4-3 - 1 out
    7 Tucker doubles to right field corner; man on 2B 1 out
    8 Gonzalez (pick off attempt of Tucker on 2B by Tanaka fails) strike out on foul tip; man on 2B 2 out
    9 Castro grounds out to the pitcher 1-3 - 3 out

Astros 1 Yankees 2

Tanaka has had to work the last two innings and he is up to 71 pitches through 5 innings. Keuchel begins the Yankees half of the 5th with 73 pitches. Keuchel could use an easy 1-2-3 inning right here. He will have the top of the Astros batting order coming up in the 6th so he needs to sit down the Yanks here in the 5th.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Bottom of 5th

9. Gregorius ground out to 2B 4-3 - 1 out
    1 Ellsbury grounds out to 2B 4-3 - 2 out
    2 Hicks flies out to center field F-8 - 3 out

Astros 1 Yankees 2

Keuchel got just what he needed, an easy inning. He needed only 11 pitches to get the Yankees out in order. He walks off the mound with 82 pitches thrown. He probably has one more inning so Houston's offense needs to crank it up right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Top of the 6th

1 Altuve grounds out to SS 6-3 - 1 out
    2 Springer grounds out to the pitcher 1-3 - 2 outs
    3 Correa homers on a 1-0 pitch to right field - Astros 2 Yankees 2 - 2 out
    4 Rasmus walks on 7 pitches (nice job coming back from a 1-2 count to get the walk; man on 1B - 2 out
    Masahiro Tanaka relieved by RHP Chason Shreve. Tanaka's line: 5.2 innings/2 ER/1 BB/4 K's Rasmus is Tanaka's responsibility
    5 Gomez taps back to the pitcher 1-3 - 3 outs (I'm sorry, I have no patience with this guy)

Astros 2 Yankees 2

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Bottom of 6th

3 Rodriguez lines out to SS L-6 - 1 out
    4 Teixeira grounds out to the pitcher 1-3 - 2 out
    5 Beltran flies out to deep center field F-8 - 3 out

Astros 2 Yankees 2

Keuchel needed only 8 pitches in the 6th. It depends on how he feels and what A J Hinch feels Keuchel should go but he can go one more inning IMO. He's up to 90 pitches so he's right on the borderline of what his limit should be for a first start. Wind is brutal 14 mph out of the north and they still have a wind chill of 29o.