Thread: Any thoughts on how the OL is looking this year?

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Any thoughts on how the OL is looking this year?

In my opinion, last year's play, from the QB position, dropped a notch or two from 2 years ago. I think that Cox, Earp, and Mckenzie will be much better than last year's group. However, the OL graduated its two tackles. Any word on how this OL group is doing in Spring practice?
    Last edited by Dracula; 04-11-2016 at 03:18 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: Any thoughts on how the OL is looking this year?

I have made plans on 2 occasions to try to get out to practices and have had things arise each time. Have plans to be there Saturday as of now and hope so be able to give some live updates. Yes we lost both tackles but we also return John Craven who was a 2 year starter at LG that took a RS last season recovering from an injury. In his place, Dante Carreano and Connor Ward split most of the snaps and played well. We also had Kanon Mackey transfer in from Texas St after being listed as #2 LG there. Word I got pre-spring was that they would do some experimenting with the OL to see what combinations would work. Catteano played Tacke at the JUCO level so he could potentially slide back out. The freshman class that was signed last year was full of large framed guys and both #2 tackles last year were true freshman from that class. I have also seen/been told there have been a couple injuries up from and I think Bret Treadway is being held out after having some scar tissue cleaned out of his hip he had surgery on last spring.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

LG Craven, RG Treadway, Center Obree, not in spring camp. Treadway and Craven healing up, Obree injured his foot in early spring practice. They should all be ready for fall. Guess it gives coaches a good look at younger players. Has anyone heard of an O Lineman maybe transferring in from Idaho ?

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I had been told about Tredway and had seen Oubre post things about a cast, crutches, and surgery so I assumed he had broken a foot or something. Hopefully Craven is purely precaution because I had been told last fall that he was set to be cleared before the season was over but the RS'd him since the OL was playing so well and he had already missed 3/4 of the season...was hoping he would be back in there this spring shaking off the rust. I haven't heard anything in regards to the Idaho transfer. I know I was told the staff will be looking for 1-2 summer transfers...they are looking at OT, WR, DT & LB. A quick glance at their roster and I don't see any OL with obvious Texas ties but Cody Elenz, who transfered from Idaho to Lamar last season, may have a connection from his time there that has reached out to him.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Did a little more research and found an OL from Idaho named Jeff Travillion who signed with them in 2014 out of Highland CC in Kansas but played at Pflugerville HS prior to that. Their 2015 roster listed him as a JR but I saw where he was one of the players who participated in their Senior Day at the final home game (technically his 4th year in college so he could have been set to graduate). Also saw he was in the running to start in 2014 at tackle but ended up missing the season with an injury. He started 3 games in 2015 and was listed at #2 LT on the final depth chart. He is not listed on Idaho's 2016 roster. Wonder if this could possibly be the guy?

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Oubre had foot surgery and will be back during Summer Camp.
    Bishop Byrne Class of 1980
    Lamar Class of 1983
    McNeese Class of 1986