Thread: favorite parking and viewing spots to watch a home game

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

favorite parking and viewing spots to watch a home game

My son has been in the marching band the last four years and I have been attending nearly every home game during that time. The first two years I would park in the lot between the Health Science building and the old Gentry Hall building, which is now part of LIT. The last two years I have used the Setzer Center lot. By the way, I was told that it's now called the Set and not the Setzer center. I enjoy walking through the Setzer Center and revisiting where I used to hang out, in my partying days at Lamar, in the early '70s. I enjoy walking through the Quadrangle, both before and after the game, and here again, I have been informed that it is not the Quadrangle but the Quad. If you get to the Quadrangle early enough, you can follow the band as it marches, from Lamar's statue to the game. I'm not much on sitting down to watch the game so I move around from one end to the other and from one side to the other. I usually start at the home side, South end, at the last entrance ramp. You can stand there, out of the way, watch the team warm up, the band do it's pregame show, and the team run onto the field. Then during the game, I walk over to the visitor side, go out the North gate, and walk up the stairs to the back porch of the Montagne, above where the cannon is located. From this elevated perch, you get an unobstructed view down the field, but, if Lamar is in the red zone, on the Montagne end, they tend to go left and the view is blocked by the a/c unit for the Montagne. Before halftime, I walk back to the original spot, watch the band's halftime show, and the third quarter. Before the end of the game, I leave and walk back through the Quad and the Set. It's usually very quiet, peaceful, and, if you time it right, the library clock chimes, while you are walking through the Quad. It's a very nice end to a walk back through time.
    Last edited by Dracula; 04-15-2016 at 09:33 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: favorite parking and viewing spots to watch a home game

I typically park in a gravel lot beside Education First Credit Union on Rolfe Christopher...right across from the Maes building. If I get the early to hit the tailgates, I can get get a really good spot and it's a short walk to and from the stadium. If I'm just coming for the game I can sometime still get in this lot but some times I have to park in the one right next to it...still a short walk.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

KA88, a non football question. My wife, LU'77, and I were trying to remember where Child's bookstore was located. We think that there were two locations. We are fairly certain that one was at the corner of E. Virginia and what is now University Dr. I believe that the building is still there. The second location is the hazy one. I believe that the second location was over by Kampus Corner, on Rolfe Christopher Dr. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I don't remember if it was called Child's or not but there used to be a bookstore next to where the Subway is now on Rolfe Christopher.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Yep, that where Child's was. A very unsympathetic cop had my car towed because I parked in the bookstore parking lot when I was registering for the next semester one time. It was toward the stadium side of Christian Youth Center. I don't know if it still is a CYC or not. The other Child's was on W Virginia diagonally across from the track/tennis courts. That was back in the day when Rolf Christopher went all the way through from the stadium to Highland Ave.
    Last edited by eagle eye; 04-17-2016 at 05:03 PM.